4.0 out of 5 stars Mel Gibson's Blues
Jesus Christ is Brian Fallon's fuel, as he says in his personal dedication to Get Hurt. And just like Mel Gibson does in his films, Fallon demonstrates the power of suffering for the Lord in his songs, even to the point of imagining himself underground (no kidding).

Published 4 days ago by The Outsider

3.0 out of 5 stars Between A Rock And A Hard Place....
Published 3 months ago by J. Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars Mel Gibson's Blues, 21 Nov 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)

Gaslight Anthem's fifth album sounds a little different than the previous four, but only a little. Each song seems inspired by Bruce Springsteen's No Surrender - OK, but you know what I mean. I saw them this week at Ally Pally - an ear splitting gig with the damed gaslights blazing. Not only was I Blinded by the Gaslight, I was Deafened too. But they were as lively and generous as usual, hard working and affable, consulate professionals. They will NEVER be big time, as Fallon's writing just isn't commercial enough.

There are great songs - mostly about suffering - on Get Hurt. As well as the title track, there is Red Violins (blood again) the lovely Break Your Heart (a little Won't Back Down in the melody, but still a very good song), and another dozen of listenable, if not always fabulous numbers. I like Selected Poems as well, Stay Vicious and a few more a lot.

The band plays well, Fallon overtracks his own voice too much on this one, giving it a strange sound. This is a shame, as he is really developing into a great singer. It is unevenly produced, but still good enough to merit 4 stars. I am awaiting the next 59 Sound, which in retrospect really is their masterpiece so far.

I took off one star for the unevenness of the songs and production, and the endless scars, wounds, hurts, etc of the self-pitying lyrics. Maybe it is a 3 star effort - but I love the band, so here is 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great album by a great band, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
After listening to the album twice today and reading a number of critic reviews, fan tweets and user reviews Get Hurt is getting a bit of a mixed reception - I don't know why, it's great!! Every critic review picks up on Brian Fallons comment that this is a very different album and then they seem to criticise the album for being exactly that. Is the album that different to their other work? Not really, it's more a change of pace.

I'm a big Gaslight Anthem fan and have been listening to their music for years and I must admit on first listen some songs on Get Hurt didn't hit home with me however on second listen I thought they were great. Tomorrow I'll love them even more. It's definitely a grower and that's to be expected when a band puts something out there that's a bit different.

Stay Vicious, 1,000 years, Get Hurt, Rollin and Tumblin, Helter Skeleton and Break Your Heart are standouts. 1,000 years and Underneath The Ground stand out as the tracks that are truly different to their previous work. The others grow on you with each listen, the only dud on the album is ironically called Ain't That a Shame.

I would definitely recommend getting the deluxe version, Sweet Morphine and Mama's Boys carry on the Gaslight Anthem tradition of bonus tracks that could/should have been included on the standard album.

I highly recommend this album, newcomers will probably love it straight away, fans of the band may need to stick with it for a few listens but it'll reward you for doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaslight Anthem: their Exile on Main Street?, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
I’ll be honest: I didn’t like this album on the first play; but I’d followed the Gaslight Anthem for so many years, that I had to give it a try: and boy, how it grew on me! It’s a complex album, but the layering of the harmonics and instrumentals are sublime. This is a classic album and all credit to GLA for their bravery. I recall that 40 years ago I had the same problem getting into the Stones ‘Exile on Main Street’ and that became a classic: this will too! This is an impressive album: buy it and enjoy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Between A Rock And A Hard Place...., 23 Aug 2014
J. Willis (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
At some point, a band has to evolve, and the best challenge their fans to come along for the ride. When i had read that Brian Fallon had mentioned Pearl Jam's 'No Code' as an influence on the making of the new album, i figured 'Get Hurt' would be the start of that ride. Instead, the desire to change and yet at the same time not alienate their original fan base leaves The Gaslight Anthem caught between a rock and a hard place. It's by no means a bad album, it's just that everything about 'Get Hurt' sounds familiar, and though the album hints at progression, it never really offers anything new. I'm not about to give up on The Gaslight Anthem just yet, as when it's good, there aren't many better bands around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, 9 Sep 2014
Garry Lennon (Lurgan, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
After Handwritten I was really looking forward to this album and I wasn't disappointed. The title track is superb and there are plenty more strong tunes on here. So do yourself a favor and Get Hurt

5.0 out of 5 stars ) I bought this (and love it)! It was delivered sooner than I expected ..., 31 Aug 2014
Hi :)
I bought this (and love it)! It was delivered sooner than I expected too.
My one question is why Have Mercy is not on this album? Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
This cd was a present for my sister arrived in good time for her birthday and was exactly what the seller stated.
Well worth 5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

2.0 out of 5 stars To be honest it sounds like outtakes from the wonderful Horrible Crows record, 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
From punk rock to Dad rock, really disappointing !!! To be honest it sounds like outtakes from the wonderful Horrible Crows record

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful lp. Brian Fallon's music has changed and evolved ..., 16 Sep 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Wonderful lp. Brian Fallon's music has changed and evolved during time but The Gaslight Anthem still remains a great band.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm...., 12 Aug 2014
Evan (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
If you're a fan of The Gaslight Anthem like me, this album will no doubt strike you as something different. It may even be disappointing on the first few plays.

The album certainly isn't worth two stars as it's not a bad album, don't get me wrong, it's just not what I expected from The Gaslight Anthem. In a way it sounds new, but on subsequent listens it's all so familiar. Three stars is adequate as it's not worth four. If it was worth four it'd have to have some amazing songs but it just doesn't. As an album though, it's good. There just isn't a stand out signature song/s.

In no particular order; Redhead Violins and Selected Poems could very much have been on the last two albums. Stay Vicious is typical of TGA but somehow more mellow. 1,000 years is typical TGA also with Fallon belting some chorus's. Helter Skeleton jumps right into the action before mellowing out and sounding familiar. Stray Paper is similar. Get Hurt starts off slow but is familiar territory again with Fallon telling us about his lost loves. Rollin' and Tumblin' is on familiar ground with it's TGA like aggression. Underneath The Ground is a slow and easy going song. Ain't That a Shame starts of sounding familiar to some other TGA song, can't pin which one, but otherwise is forgettable. Break Your Heart is another slow going melancholic song. Dark Places again, very familiar. Sweet Morphine is great, both slow and mellow, the sort you can put up loud in a dark room and sip whisky to (just me?). Halloween is somewhat forgettable. Mama's Boys starts out like a Neil Young song before Fallon's voice takes hold reassuring you it's in fact a TGA song, before kicking off into a anthem like song to complement the album's tail end, one of my favourites.

I can't say this album hits the spot for me, but only time will tell whether this grows on me. I think it will. Certainly not a bad album, just not amazing. If I could sum it up I'd say it's familiar and new, all at the same time. Three stars. If you're a Gaslight Anthem fan, you'll appreciate the journey the band is on musically. If you're new to them, I'd say start with The 59 Sound.

Get Hurt
Get Hurt by The Gaslight Anthem (Audio CD - 2014)