5.0 out of 5 stars Gaslight Anthem: their Exile on Main Street?
Published 1 month ago by David Peter

3.0 out of 5 stars Between A Rock And A Hard Place....
Published 1 month ago by J. Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaslight Anthem: their Exile on Main Street?, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
I’ll be honest: I didn’t like this album on the first play; but I’d followed the Gaslight Anthem for so many years, that I had to give it a try: and boy, how it grew on me! It’s a complex album, but the layering of the harmonics and instrumentals are sublime. This is a classic album and all credit to GLA for their bravery. I recall that 40 years ago I had the same problem getting into the Stones ‘Exile on Main Street’ and that became a classic: this will too! This is an impressive album: buy it and enjoy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Between A Rock And A Hard Place...., 23 Aug 2014
J. Willis (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
At some point, a band has to evolve, and the best challenge their fans to come along for the ride. When i had read that Brian Fallon had mentioned Pearl Jam's 'No Code' as an influence on the making of the new album, i figured 'Get Hurt' would be the start of that ride. Instead, the desire to change and yet at the same time not alienate their original fan base leaves The Gaslight Anthem caught between a rock and a hard place. It's by no means a bad album, it's just that everything about 'Get Hurt' sounds familiar, and though the album hints at progression, it never really offers anything new. I'm not about to give up on The Gaslight Anthem just yet, as when it's good, there aren't many better bands around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great album by a great band, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
After listening to the album twice today and reading a number of critic reviews, fan tweets and user reviews Get Hurt is getting a bit of a mixed reception - I don't know why, it's great!! Every critic review picks up on Brian Fallons comment that this is a very different album and then they seem to criticise the album for being exactly that. Is the album that different to their other work? Not really, it's more a change of pace.

I'm a big Gaslight Anthem fan and have been listening to their music for years and I must admit on first listen some songs on Get Hurt didn't hit home with me however on second listen I thought they were great. Tomorrow I'll love them even more. It's definitely a grower and that's to be expected when a band puts something out there that's a bit different.

Stay Vicious, 1,000 years, Get Hurt, Rollin and Tumblin, Helter Skeleton and Break Your Heart are standouts. 1,000 years and Underneath The Ground stand out as the tracks that are truly different to their previous work. The others grow on you with each listen, the only dud on the album is ironically called Ain't That a Shame.

I would definitely recommend getting the deluxe version, Sweet Morphine and Mama's Boys carry on the Gaslight Anthem tradition of bonus tracks that could/should have been included on the standard album.

I highly recommend this album, newcomers will probably love it straight away, fans of the band may need to stick with it for a few listens but it'll reward you for doing so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Especially like the "Horrible Crowes" vibe that comes, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
This is taking a few plays, but we're getting there! By the time we see the band in a few weeks I'm sure it will rate as highly as TGA's other albums. Especially like the "Horrible Crowes" vibe that comes thru

3.0 out of 5 stars Ticks All The Boxes, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
One of the strongest and more accessible of TheGaslight Anthems to date. It's puzzling then that the press have been largely indifferent to the albums release. Even hostile. Despite assurances from the band on a change of direction (a new sound?) the band stick rigidly to a tried and tested formula. Is this where the indifference stems from?

If you're a fan though there is much to enjoy. At least 4 Radio Friendly tracks and a couple nodding back to The 59 Sound days....Highlights 'Ain't that a shame' & Underneath The Ground' do hint at that promised new sound. Just a shame we might have to wait another 2 years to hear the new direction take flight...A false dawn this time round

3.0 out of 5 stars mmmmmmmmm or nice, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
yes they are a great band, and yes it would be a bit boring if they just churned out the same album every time, but this feels like a bit of a backstep in their musical career, very much adult orientated rock, and track eleven is i wont back down by tom petty, hopefully the next album will be as interesting a there previous albums, if your a fan it is worth having in your collection, but if not buy the 59 sound, or elsie by the horrible crowes, both masterpieces and very overlooked by the mainstream

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition!, 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
Excellent album. Sure some fans may be disappointed as they have moved from the classic punk speed sound but to me they are simply exploring the depth of the band and the depth of Brian's creativity. Looking forward to seeing them live in November

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, 9 Sep 2014
Garry Lennon (Lurgan, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
After Handwritten I was really looking forward to this album and I wasn't disappointed. The title track is superb and there are plenty more strong tunes on here. So do yourself a favor and Get Hurt

5.0 out of 5 stars ) I bought this (and love it)! It was delivered sooner than I expected ..., 31 Aug 2014
Hi :)
I bought this (and love it)! It was delivered sooner than I expected too.
My one question is why Have Mercy is not on this album? Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Get Hurt (Audio CD)
This cd was a present for my sister arrived in good time for her birthday and was exactly what the seller stated.
Well worth 5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Get Hurt
Get Hurt by The Gaslight Anthem (Audio CD - 2014)