Great set of wireless earphones :-)
Published 8 months ago by Ash

Published 3 months ago by Irek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of wireless gym earphones if you got the cash to splash :-), 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Beats by Dr. Dre Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Great set of wireless earphones :-)
What can I say about these puppies? First off, great build quality, slightly heavier than expected at first but after using down gym for the first time yesterday, u completely forget about them being in the ears! Didn't fall out once - treadmill, cross trainer, stepping machine, rowing machine and even skipping - stayed put in the ears. Fully charged yesterday and used for 6 hours straight. Crackling noise kicked in which indicated they needed charging. For a set of powerful earphones, 6 hours of wireless use was brilliant in my opinion.
Sound quality - probably the most argued point about Dre Beats earphones/headphones - most reviews u read about simply state that they're too bass heavy and lack mids and highs or are just rubbish for the money u pay. For me, bass is key simply due to my taste of music. I also own the Dre Beats Solo HD's and the Dre Beats Wireless. On all the Dre Beats headphones, the bass is big - for those that don't want over powering bass, use the equaliser settings on your device and turn it down!!! Thought that would be common sense! However, on the Powerbeats2, the mids and highs are very well balanced - I find the sound quality excellent. I also find that the device the earphones are being used with makes a massive difference. I've used them with my Cowon Z2, Sony z1050 and my HTC One Max, all loaded with PowerAmp. Clarity of sound on all three is similar, however bass does not distort when u turn up to max volume on the HTC. Just shows that the sound chips used in each device varies - so don't be too quick to judge if you use the headphones on just one device.
Also, TRY all the ear tips that come with the earphones before u review. Luckily for me, the large buds fit perfect as the small/medium buds didn't isolate the sound in my ears and leaked out dramatically making the bass sound as if it was distorting. If you struggle to get a good isolated sound in the ears using the tips provided, may be worthwhile investing in those custom ear moulding tips - probably the only negative point I can make about the earphones given the price you pay - would've expected a bigger variety of ear tips including foam tips! Come on Dr Dre, sort this out for those spending the bucks on your product!
All in all, 5 star for build, 5 star for sound and 3.5 star for price - £170 squid is a bit steep for my liking, would price in the £120 squid region. Great product - definitely get em if u want them for the gym like I use them for.
Oh yeah, Amazon, excellent service as always - pre-ordered about a month ago and think I'm one of the first few lucky peeps in the UK to get em. Thanks again as always ;-)

1.0 out of 5 stars So you can safely assume that I love audio and the quality of it is very important ..., 9 Jan. 2015
I've owned a lot of headphones: sennheiser, klipsch s4,s5,x10, two pair of high end Dennons and few others. So you can safely assume that I love audio and the quality of it is very important to me. These earphones are HUGE let down and disappointment. First of all the way to expensive and to make things worse the audio quality is shockingly bad. Earphones that come bundled with smartphones like s5 or htc mini quality wise just destroy this. So dont waste money on this and look at cheaper s4, s5 klipsch earphones or stick with the ones that come with ur smartphone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Earphones, a long search finally ended., 28 Jan. 2015
Writing a review for earphones / headphones is a very subjective thing. You can read review after review of what audio experts think about their favourite cans but until you test them yourself they are all pretty meaningless. I myself was looking to buy a good set of on ear headphones last year, after reading review upon review of hundreds of different types of headphones I decided to go for either the Bowers & Wilkins P3 or P5's. So with a wallet of my hard earned cash I went to some retail stores in Cardiff to give them a test drive.... and came home with a set of Bose QuietComfort 3's instead. To me, the music I listened to through those headphones just sounded tired, flat and lifeless whereas the QC3's were fantastic to my ears and I loved how they sounded. (Yes I know this is how the neutral B&W are supposed to sound, I just didn't like it!). So, lesson learned, trust your own ears not what someone else thinks.

So, "Why write a review for these earphones then?" I hear you ask. Well it's not as easy to try out these bud type earphones as on or over ear types so it's far more difficult to assess if these are good for your personal tastes. I must have spent hundreds of pound on various earphones over the years, from Sony, to Phonak Audeo, to Klipsch, I've spent an absolute fortune trying to find the perfect ones for me. I'm a runner, I go to the gym to workout. I've tried headphones, bluetooth headphones, earphones, neck bands, you name it I've tried it. None of them met all my requirements and I kept on looking for the perfect set. With these Powerbeats2 by Beats, I have finally found them and my long and costly search has come to an end. To me they sound absolutely fabulous. I tend to listen to guitar based rock music primarily and these buds suit that genre perfectly. They are rock solid in the ears, not even the slightest sign of them falling out, and they are extremely comfortable, so much so that after my first treadmill run I turned the music off and walked around and actually forgot I was still had them in, that's how comfortable they are. I'm sure if you are an audiophile sat in a quiet room with the lights out you might be able to pick out a slight lack in this area or a minor excess in that, but running on a treadmill or out running on the road these sound fabulous and do exactly what they are designed for, perfectly.

So to sum up for me, I have finally found my ideal set of head / earphones. They are quite expensive, but if I'd had these at the beginning of my quest to find my perfect earphones then in the long run I'd have saved myself a hell of a lot of money and would have considered them a bargain. If I were to lose these tomorrow, I'd go out and buy another set straight away. For a sports person, and remember, this is the market they are aimed for, I would say you don't have to look any further. Sound isolation is fine in a gym with the volume turned up high drowing out there own thundering tunes and out on the street if you dial it down a bit you can still hear what's going on around you and don't end up being totally surprised when a cyclist come belting up your backside.

I hope in writing this review I can save someone else the time, cost and effort that I have endured to finally get to be a satisfied runner. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice of wireless In-Ear Headphones for everyday use and activities!, 13 Jan. 2015
Very pleased with these bad boys from Beats! I like the quality and the sound is amazing (deep bass, but not to deep.. just as I like it.) They fits my ear very well, and with the ear hooks they will never fall off.

Beats by Dr. Dre have gotten a reputation of being just a overrated, expensive and "fashion inspired brand". I have always loved the sound, as it fits my needs perfectly. I know taste in sound can vary, there might be some earphones that are much better in the same price range, but as said, I could not be happier about the sound these deliver. I can agree that they are indeed expensive, but if you take well care of them, they would at least last a year, and with a two (2) years warranty you can easily get a new pair (that is, if they break inside and have no visible damage outside). Keep in mind, warranty is only one (1) year for US costumers, but if you are swedish you are lucky enough to get three (3) years warranty. Two years warranty is for UK and EU costumers.

The Powerbeats 2 come with 3 pairs of extra earbuds, so you should find some that fits your ear. The rubber on the earbuds are not as soft as the early urBeats/iBeats, but I have not had any problem with them so far! The hook around the ear can look a bit painful at first, but you wont recognise them after 10 minutes. There is a cable manager clip on the cable as well, that you can use to tighten up the wire a bit so it won't hang loose. I am not using that at the moment, the cable length does not bother me. Most of the time I put the cable behind my neck so it won't be stuck in zippers and stuff.

One of the best things with these are, the battery life! It last me at least 5-6 hours of constant playback, depending on the volume, but I usually listen to them at 60% volume. They charge relatively fast, a fast charge takes 15 minutes and gives 1 hour playback. Full charge will take 1 hour if they are drained. One more awesome feature is the battery indicator you will get using an iPhone in the status bar, which shows how much battery is left. Have not tested them with any other phones than iPhone 4, 5, 5s and 6. It is also a battery indicator on the earphones as well, a small LED light. When the light is white you have more than 1 hour playback time left, when red you have less than an hour, and flashing red you have less than 15 minutes.

There is a remote attached to the left earphone wire, that gives you volume control, navigating in track list and a microphone that works well when talking to Siri or in phone conversations. The quality on this remote is slightly better than previous versions of Beats, made out of rubber as well as plastic.

The range of the bluetooth signal is actually pretty good! When at the gym I put my phone in the window sill, and walked away as far as I could to test the range. I got ruffly 20 meters before I could not walk any further... because of a wall, and the earphones was still connected and no loss in music quality. If there is any walls or obstacle between the earphones and your device the signal will get much weaker.. could not walk more than 10 meters away with a wall between. Still pretty good!

A little summary:

Great for workouts and all kinds of activities as well as listening to music around the house without carrying the playback device around. Moving the lawn and shovelling snow will be childs play with these!! I took these home to my family so they could have the chance to try them, and two of my family members bought a pair straight away :)

Pros (+)
Great music quality
Very good battery life, with battery indicator on device and earphones.
Build quality is good and they look good as well, in my opinion.
Multiple color choices (Blue, white, red/white, grey/pink, black/red)
Great remote with easy access + microphone.
Good range of the bluetooth signal.
Should fit every ear and don't fall off easily because of the hook.
Comfortable!! Cable management clip.
Connects easily with every device that hase support for bluetooth.
No annoying cable between devices.

Cons (-)
Expensive (worth the price if you take good care of them and love good music)
Might be to heavy bass for some.
Not compatible with devices without bluetooth!
Warranty varies from different countries, and does not cover visible damage (tears, dents etc)

Hope this review was helpful for those of you looking to buy a pair, but think the price is a bit high! If you got the money to invest, I will strongly recommend to buy a pair of these! I use them everyday :)

Btw.. english is not my first language, so apologies for any typos and bad grammar/spelling.

Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall very pleased with the purchase, 28 Dec. 2014
Pros:
* Premium build quality
* Very good noise isolation using proper ear-pad size. Don't expect you wouldn't hear the noise in a busy gym but Beats didn't claim they are 100% noise isolation and it is intentional to let some noise in especially when running outdoors
* Very good sound quality
* Battery life time is in acceptable range. I need to charge it twice a week but I do exercise a lot so I can understand why I have to do so.
* Fits nicely inside ear and doesn't fall while running
* Nice elegant cover provided

Cons:
* The rubber cover for USB port doesn't give impression it will last for long.
* The wire is about annoying behind the neck. I came around this problem but letting it hang in front. May be this is how it should be used in first place
* I would loved it more if they made it all black instead of black/red (just my own opinion)
* It is bit hard to use the remote when wearing gloves (even if very slim ones) while running outdoors in cold weather.
* Could have been cheaper

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be better, 18 Oct. 2014
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sorry but if you're going to spend this much on a set of headphones you'd expect better quality than this. Promising start as they were a snug fit but after a little while they felt like they were pushing into my ear and it became a little irritating. Next day, the same thing so I know they're not going to be worn for long. Had problems with the blue tooth connection as the song just kept dipping in and out but I don't know if that's my phone or the headphones so I can't complain. I switch to my glasses from my contact lenses for a few days and then realised I couldn't wear these with my glasses, they just don't fit properly; so back to my contact lenses. After a multitude of moans my husband swapped with his. He has some of the same complaints about the blue tooth as I did but his comment was look at the vast difference in price and that he could cope with the occasional blip for £44 but not for the price of these. So having used both these and Creative WP-250 Bluetooth Wireless Sports Headphones with Built-in Microphone, I'd prefer the Creative ones all the time. I know there are other brands out there, some are mentioned within all the reviews on this page but I wouldn't be recommending Dr. Dre Powerbeats to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars the simple fact is they were performing great the first 2 weeks and then they didn't, 5 Mar. 2015
The problem with these headphones is connectivity when other bluetooth devices are within range. Call it an iPhone OS or strong signals around, the simple fact is they were performing great the first 2 weeks and then they didn't. Great for the gym however and the 30 feet radius is enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 13 Sept. 2014
The Dr. Dre wireless Powerbeats are ideal for using in the gym. They didn't fall out of my ear whilst using the gym equipment. I find them extremely comfortable. The sound quality is excellent. The headphones are light and portable and have a remote, so you can adjust the volume etc. - A must have!

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 30 Aug. 2014
sound is good, comfortable, but Bluetooth is so in and out, so had to send back

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than useless because..., 25 Nov. 2014
Worse than useless because:

1. Continously cutting out whilst walking, with my iphone in my jeans pocket.

2. Heavy, so dont stay in your ears at all, despite endless adjustment of the ear loops, the weight of them just keeps pulling the actual driver out of your ears.

3. You cant wear any for of hat over these as a baseball cap will push the tops of these down onto your ears (Painful) and a wolly hat/beanie will push them into your ears, again, painful. This is due to the size and weight of them.

Anybody who says these are leightweight earphones clearly have never ever tried Bose earplugs, but hey, I would love to have wireless earplugs, but the technology just is not up to the job right now.

Just taking the dogs for a walk with these on is enough movement for them to repeatedly swing out of your ears with only the ear hook holding them onto your ear, because of the weight of them. Wind noise drowns out the sound from these too.

So all in all, too heavy, not suitable for moving around, let alone trying sports and totally faulty bluetooth connectivity leaving you with constant cut-outs and skipping music.

Overpriced and over-rated junk, in which its packaging seems to be worth more than the product it contains!
Yet again, Beats proving that it is absolute garbage, right out of the box.

Fantastic concept, but such a terrible attempt to make a working product.

Beats by Dr. Dre Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones - Black
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available