Published 9 months ago by MR Robert Edward Brooks

These may be the nation's favourite motown songs but the sound quality is abysmal. A better idea is to get the re-mastered versions.
Published 9 months ago by Peggy

5.0 out of 5 stars ... who loves the music of Motown to pick their favourite 20 songs is an almost impossible task, 8 Aug. 2014
For anyone who loves the music of Motown to pick their favourite 20 songs is an almost impossible task. Here we have the 'Nation's Favourite Motown Songs which were picked by an ITV Panel. The selection represents a fair selection of the label's British hits until about 1973 though the second accompanying disc does contain a few later ones. Probably good for younger people who are not aware of the Motown Sound but for those of us who lived through the time when each of these hits was born it is simply another CD to add to the Motown memorabilia. Still a great collection of 20 songs and not a dud in sight. Five star all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'TAMLA MOTOWN' GAVE THE U.K CHARTS 'SOUL', 7 July 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
You cannot under-estimate the influence 'Tamla-Motown' had on the pop scene during it's hay-day,
'Motown' was fronted by some of the all -time greats names of the music world.......'The Isley Brothers' 'The Temptations' 'The Four Tops' 'Diana Ross and the Supremes' to name but a few.............not forgetting 'Michael Jackson as one of the Jackson 5' and of course 'Stevie Wonder' plus 'Lionel Richie and the Commodores' also the legendary 'Marvin Gaye'
There are so many more that were a part of the 'Motown' Hit Factory, many of which are included on this collection of memories
The company was first put together way back in 1959 by 'Berry Gordy' as 'Tamla Records' incorporated as 'Motown Record Corporation the Following year.
It's hay-day was definitely the throughout much of the Sixties into the early Seventies, the label is held in high regard to this day.
This 2-CD Compilation as with the fairly recent 'Elvis' 'THE NATIONS FAVOURITE' fronted by the ITV Television presentation reflects
by survey the U.K's 'Best-Loved' Motown songs of all-time.
As with the 'Elvis' album the Top 20 2-CD presentation, the 20 'Motown' favourites are on CD-One, I would again liked to have seen
the play-order in countdown from, Number '20' to Number '1' just think, as a keepsake having it in order of the vote would have made sense....but then that's me....

The Top 20 in reverse order. (THE NATIONS FAVOURITES)

20....'Jimmy Mack' --'Martha Reeves and the Vandellas' (10)
19....'Uptight' --'Stevie Wonder' (08)
18....'Papa Was A Rolling Stone' --'The Temptations.(20)
17....'What's Going On' --'Marvin Gaye' (19)
16....'My Cherie Amour' --'Stevie Wonder'(12)
15....'I Can't Help Myself' --'The Four Tops' (09)
14....'My Guy' --'Mary Wells' (02)
13....'The Tracks Of My Tears' --'Smokey Robinson' (05)
12....'Reach Out, I'll Be There' --'The Four Tops' (07)
11....'I Want You Back' --'The Jackson 5' (14)
10....'Stop In The Name Of Love' --'The Supremes' (06)
09....'War' --'Edwin Starr' (15)
08....'Baby Love' --'The Supremes' (01)
07....'I'll Be There' --'The Jackson' (18)
06....'Tears Of The Clown' --'Smokey Robinson. (16)
05....'My Girl' --'The Temptations' (03)
04....'Dancing In The Street' --'Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. (04)
03....'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' --'Diana Ross' (17)
02....'What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted' --'Jimmy Ruffin' (11)
01....'I Heard it Through the Grapevine' --'Marvin Gaye' (13)
(Play-order on CD-'1' in brackets on the right.)
I Suspect all of those that like myself watched the TV show on Sunday evening would of easily
anticipated which number would be the nations number '1'
I guess that we all have our favourite 'Motown' song, however I suspect that many of the tracks
that were featured would figure among your favourites.
This 2-CD Compilation featuring the top 20 U.K favourites also includes many favourites on Disc
Two, I will just pluck out a few of them as a sample of what is harboured among them.........
'Martha Reeves and the Vandellas' --'Heatwave'........'Marvin Gaye' --'It Takes Two'........'Four Tops'
--'I Need Your Loving'........'The Isley Brothers' --'This Old Heart Of Mine'........'Gladys Knight and
the Pips' --'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' (also having a hit with the song)......'The Commodores'
--'Easy'.......and......,.'Diana Ross' --'Upside Down' .......just some of the Twenty tracks to cherish on
Disc Two.
The 2-CD collection represents many of the great Artists' and their songs 'Tamla Motown' launched
onto the music scene, making 'Soul' universally available and popular.
This a superb collection of some of what the 'Motown' label gave us back in the Sixties into the early
Seventies.......Great Value For Money.....a true collectors item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation of Motown tracks, 7 July 2014
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
When a list is compiled based on a poll of people's favourites, I always suspect the accuracy of the results, particularly where music is concerned. Many years ago, I remember a radio station conducting such a poll, and on the programme that was conducting a poll, the DJ played a track that most people had long forgotten about, although it had been a hit in its time and belonged in the category, and lo and behold, that track was voted into the top ten.

I have no knowledge of how the ITV poll was conducted or what tracks were played in the run-up to the poll, but I'm not surprised by most of the tracks here - they are classics and deserve to be included. There are one or two surprises (possibly getting in because of well-timed airplay) and of course there are in any case more Motown classics than could be fitted into 40 tracks.

There are more in-depth compilations of Motown music, but this is a very strong collection.

Tracks

18. Being With You - Smokey Robinson
19. Upside Down - Diana Ross
20. All Night Long (All Night) - Lionel Richie

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptionally good, absolutely love Motown, 30 Jan. 2015
I give this album 5 stars, exceptionally good, absolutely love Motown. Great compilation.
Generally when you buy an album you get a couple of songs that are not so great, but on this album they were all good, I would thoroughly recommend this album to all motown lovers.

Delivery very quick.
Does not come sealed as stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mowtown Music, 22 Mar. 2015
Not played it yet has it is a gift for my hubby. But i like all the songs on the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 24 Aug. 2014
Watched programme on TV and was really only expecting 20 songs, but there are 40 - love the CD. Have downloaded the Amazon Music App onto my IPad and most CDs are downloaded straight on to it after purchasing,, so I can listen straight away and then the CD arrives in the post. I like to own the CD - BRILLIANT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get up and dance, 16 Mar. 2015
Y. M. Lewis "Hair heaven" (Watford United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
How can you not like the Motown hits, fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this to anyone who likes to remember when times ..., 12 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Nation's Favourite Motown Songs (MP3 Download)
The album has some very memorable tracks on it and transported me back to my youth when listening to it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to remember when times were simpler and all that was good in music

1.0 out of 5 stars These may be the nation's favourite motown songs but the sound quality is abysmal, 31 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars I treated myself to this as I am a great Motown fan and normally when you buy a CD ..., 15 Sept. 2014
I treated myself to this as I am a great Motown fan and normally when you buy a CD there are some songs which you don't like I have to say I loved all the songs its great