5.0 out of 5 stars [Updated Feb 2015] The Tech Bargain of 2014!
Published 8 months ago by The Gadget Blokey

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ALL U.K. LTE BANDS
Published 1 month ago by Mike Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars [Updated Feb 2015] The Tech Bargain of 2014!, 26 Oct. 2014
The Gadget Blokey (North East England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My apologies in advance for the length of the below review, there's a lot to be said about this handset and even more about the company OnePlus itself. I don't wish to get into a debate about the rights-and-wrongs of OnePlus' way of marketing and selling this handset so will only talk about the handset itself as much as possible. If you're not inclined to read such a lengthy review then my potted advice about the handset would be that, if the large size of the handset is not a deal-breaker to you then *SPOILER ALERT*, 'buy it!'

This level of flagship spec and performance at the RRP's for the device, £229 for 16GB and £269 for 64GB (from the OnePlus store), is the tech bargain of the year. Whether or not you are happy to pay the third party mark-up for the convenience of not having to jump through hoops to get it is a personal choice, you have to make it and I can't speak to it as I bought mine directly from OnePlus. It is definitely easier to obtain the handset now, OnePlus are selling these without invites on their website, but only on a Tuesday - the rest of the week you need an invite to buy. 'Invites' themselves are certainly more more prevalent now, if you go to their forum, Facebook page and Google+ group. If, however, you are just wanting to buy it from someone now, with no kerfuffle and the mark-up seems fair to you then... your choice!

Please be aware that the following review is for an official OnePlus One purchased directly from OnePlus themselves and natively installed with Cyanogen's CM11S operating system. I believe that most (if not all) of the Marketplace sellers are offering a flashed version of the Mainland Chinese version of the handset. The Chinese version of the handset is still an official OnePlus handset however it natively comes with a different software, ColorOS, which I believe is developed by OPPO - a company that OnePlus has close ties with. Marketplace sellers are then rooting the handset and flashing it with CM11S which 'should' make it equivalent to the official International Version that I am reviewing.

That said, on with the full review -

The chances are, if you're reading this review, that you didn't happen to come upon this device by accident. The OnePlus 'One' is a first phone (hence the name) from a brand new (debateable) Chinese company called 'OnePlus' and whilst it's already something of a cause celebre amongst the tech community there is a growing wider interest thanks to positive notices on more mainstream sites.

There are essays that could be written about this company and I'll touch upon that a little bit later. Understand that whilst I'm reviewing the device not the company the two are kind of intertwined, as the phone itself is the company's mission statement made real. The brand motto of OnePlus is "Never Settle" and their intention with the 'One,' was to produce a 'Flagship Killer.'

Has it?

Well, a definite 'Yes' if we're talking about price and a more muted 'Kinda...' if we're talking about specs. It definitely equals most current flagships and even surpasses them in some areas, depending on which flagship you're comparing it to.

The OnePlus One is rocking -

- 5.5" HD 1080P IPS LCD screen (Galaxy S5 has a 5.1" 1080P S-AMOLED)
- The same Snapdragon 801 chip set-up as the Galaxy S5
- 3GB RAM (S5 has 2GB)
- Either 16GB or 64GB of onboard storage but no SD card slot.
- A 13mp rear camera and 5mp front camera (GS5 - 16mp rear, 2.1mp front)
- 3100mAH battery (GS5 - 2800mAH, but it is servicing a slightly smaller screen)

Impressive stuff, even more so when you consider the RRP of the respective devices

GS5 (16GB) - £599 ... OnePlus One - £229 (16GB) or £269 (64GB)

Yup. Even the 64GB version is less than half the price of the Galaxy S5! The smallish differential between the 16 and 64GB versions also shows up the blatant cash-grab that other manufacturers are making with their steep jumps in price for more onboard storage. It does need to be said though that OnePlus is not making any real profit from the sales of this first handset as it is using it to promote the brand with an aim to make money on future handsets or wearables. Basically, don't look for the 'Two' to be this cheap!

The other unique aspect of this phone is that it's running a version of Cyanogenmod built just for this device. Cyanogenmod, put simply, is Android on steroids - a fusion of stock Android and one of those third-party Launchers that you can download from the Google Play store. All mobile OS's have their positives and negatives and arguably the biggest positive for Android is in its customisability and with Cyanogenmod you can tweak almost anything about the OS to your liking. OnePlus have also been very good about getting software updates to the devices to add new features and fix any reported bugs.

Negatives:
- No micro-SD slot.
- Limited accessories at the moment.
- It is a large phone and if this bothers you then, move along.
- If you're interested in using it for 4G/LTE then you're limited to either the EE network or the '3' network (and for '3' only on the 1800Mhz band), as it does not support the 4G bands used by any of the other UK networks.
- Oneplus is a new, untested company. They don't have the presence or support structure of Samsung, et al. There's always a risk being an early adopter and before you lay your money down you need to accept there's a risk that the company could go under and you'll be left with an unsupported device.

So, with all that said, what is the phone like to use? In a word, awesome! The beastly specs noted above mean that this thing flies through pretty much any task you'd care to throw at it. The battery life is also phenomenal. With average usage I can usually get about 2 days out of it between charges with between 5-6 hours of screen-on time. This is most definitely a phone that you don't need to worry about dying on you before you make it home at the end of the day.

Whilst the large 5.5" screen means that this is an overall large phone it is not, by any means, an unmanageable one, even for someone with smallish hands like myself. After about a week or so I adapted to the larger size and now it feels natural to the point I fear my previous sweet spot of 4.5" - 4.7" will seem too small from here-on-out if I ever go back to a smaller phone. This larger screen is such a benefit when it comes to gaming, web-browsing and media consumption and it is actually cutting into my use of my LG G-Pad 8.3 for such things as watching YouTube videos and so on.

The screen is your standard black slab, only broken up by the earpiece grille and the front facing 5mp camera, so it's good for duckface selfies if that's your bag. Somewhat hidden on the screen is the LED notification light and the proximity sensor. Around the screen is a chrome effect bezel however rather than protecting the screen, the screen sits upon the bezel so it is something of a unique design choice by OnePlus. It looks good but it does means that if you don't have a case on the phone then the screen is fully exposed, front and forward. If this thing falls face down, I don't fancy the screen's chances of coming through unscathed.

Whilst the bezels mean that this phone is quite wide and quite tall, it is not very thick and this helps with the ergonomics of the device, the Sandstone texture on the back cover of the 64GB version also means it is not slippy in the hand. This 'texture' is a bit of a masterstroke by OnePlus as it brings a premium feel and a sense of uniqueness to the One and it is something that a lot of people have commented on positively when they've picked up the phone. I don't know how durable this texturing will be as some reviewers have stated it does ding and wear away easily. I've actually put a case on my phone now though, so I hope I won't need to find out.

On the bottom of the phone we have the micro USB charging port, the microphone and a dual mono speaker set-up. These speakers are very loud in operation but there's not a lot of depth to the sound so at high volumes it is quite harsh and tinny but I've not noticed any distortion. On the left side of the phone we have the volume rocker and the micro SIM card tray, on the right we have a lonely power-button. It is worth pointing out here that the power and volume buttons are very thin, low-profile and quite insubstantial. They are not easy to locate and operate and are, hands-down, my least favourite aspect of the 'build' of the phone.

On the top of the phone we have the 3.5mm headphone jack and a noise-cancelling microphone and, finally, on the back of the phone, as well as 'that' texture we have another noise cancelling microphone, the 13mp camera and a dual LED flash.

The camera is chock-full of options, is capable of creating some very good quality photos and it also has the ability to save RAW output which should definitely please photo enthusiasts. The February 2015 firmare update also fixes an earlier quirk with the camera interface which would only display a 16:9 viewfinder, even if you were trying to capture a 4:3 ratio image. Sadly, after having tried experimenting with the Cyanogen Camera App I've found it to be quite buggy and it often crashes when I try to change any setting out of Auto and requires a reboot of the phone to subsequently get 'any' camera app to then load. I've not yet installed the new firmware though due to reports of other bugs being introduced in the camera app and in general. (I'm holding out for a bugfix)

The phone itself comes nicely packaged but you don't get a great deal of extras in the box but at this price-point, how can you complain? It comes with one of those flat, anti-tangle USB charging cables and a SIM-tray ejector tool that tucks way into a... key-ring? Okay, whatever. Unfortunately what is not so good is the wall-adaptor situation. OnePlus have supplied a massive brick of a European 2-pin plug and then a further 2-pin to 3-pin UK adaptor. It is not an elegant solution and jars when so much thought has been put into the rest of the package.

Well, smartphones do so much nowadays that it's sometimes easy to forget that they are, actually, also phones that take calls. There were some concerns raised in early reviews that the call quality was sub-par. This issue was fixed in an early software update and neither myself, nor any of my callers, have had any problems with hearing each other.

I could go on and on about this phone... I think I kinda have already. I hope this review has been useful however if there's anything I haven't covered that you'd like to know then please leave a comment and I'll answer when I can.

In case it's not glaringly obvious, I do love this phone. Yes it is big and it has its flaws but for the price you're paying and for what you're getting in return this is a phenomenal bargain at its RRP. It will definitely be one of, if not the top, tech bargains of 2014 and is an auspicious debut by this new manufacturer. If the size isn't a deal-breaker and you want to buy off-contract then this beast of a phone should definitely be at the top of your list!

5.0 out of 5 stars OnePlus One king of the flagships!, 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: OnePlus One 5.5-Inch JDI, 4G LTE, Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Processor, 16GB, 3GB RAM, 65T NFC, Silk White (Electronics)
Ordered mine from Ireland. Works perfectly here on 3 Mobile Ireland. Came installed with Cyanogen Mod not Color OS. That was really important to me.
Here are the positives on my end,
× The phone is blisteringly fast.
× The screen has amazing viewing angles and clarity.
× The customizable capability of this phone is unparalleled.
× Can opt to play videos on YouTube in various quality modes ie. 1080p or 720p.
× Don't let the size put you off. You get used to it fast and it's so nice when browsing the web.
× They included a charger adapter for 2 to 3 pin.
× Charges so fast even Usain Bolt would be impressed.

Hope this insight helped. You're probably wondering the downsides of the One... There aren't any so far.
Thanks guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with it!!, 3 Nov. 2014
What a great phone! Would recommend it in a heart beat. Does everything any other smartphone does plus some more. It's fast, responsive, no clutter and the operating system (CyanogenMod) works well. Also, more open source than any other 'normal' phone out there. Battery life is also good. Cannot fault this phone, especially the price for what you getting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Aug. 2014
Phone is amazing one thing to bear in mind is this does not support band 20 4G which means in the UK your only choice is EE. The phone is similar to the galaxy note in size which you will either love or hate. This phones processing speed is great operation is slick with specs similar to an HTC One M8. Charging cable sent with the phone is not very robust already splitting at the USB connectors. Not really an issue as these charge using standard USB most phones use so I have plenty of these style chargers.

I received the phone in 7 days which is excellent delivery time from China.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last :), 19 Oct. 2014

Phone supplied by In4dealz

I have been waiting ages for an invite to buy the Oneplus from the manufacturers website and was rapidly running out of patience. This was the first 64Gb Oneplus that was fulfilled by Amazon so this de-risked buying it somewhat. I was still nervous that it wouldn't match up to the description and that it may have been a Chinese variant with Colour OS software instead of CM11S. Even though it doesn't have the CyanogenMod logo on the back it did have the Oneplus One logo. Once charged I found it to have CM11s Version 33R Android 4.4.4 on it and it was 64Gb storage with 3Gb Ram as advertised. Once connected to the network it updated to version 38R ok.

The phone is very fast with an Antutu benchmark score of 46463. It has a super smooth fully customisable interface it connected fine to my Three 3G Network it did flash up an LTE connection but my reception is poor in the house. I have yet to confirm it will connect to the Three network fully in my area as it only uses band 3 used by Three. The Oneplus One can be used with just Bands 3 and 7 on EE and Band 3 on Three.
The build quality looks good and the sandstone black back feels good in the hand. Sound is pretty good but it has dual mono speakers not stereo. Call quality is also clear with no distortion from the speaker and no problem with microphone pick up. I have successfully connected a Bluetooth Oregon Scientific SSMART Dynamo fitness band using Bluetooth Ant+ connection. I have used the GPS connection with Google Maps and it located my position reasonably accurately as I was indoors. Performance on 3D games was pretty awesome for a mobile device.

Very pleased so far :)

My only issue so far is that the app Three In Touch wouldn't run as it says the phone is rooted. My only complaint about it would be that the seller has not stated that it is a Chinese Variant which has had CM11s loaded on to it. This as far as I can tell would only be an issue if you want to use the phone on 4G in the US Canada or South America.

The hardware should be the same as the European variant as the benchmark program shows by it's score value. Antutu reports it as a oneplus A0001 model with Krait quadcore Armv7 running at 2457 Mhz with Adreno 330 GPU.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ALL U.K. LTE BANDS, 15 May 2015
Mike Smith (Bognor Regis, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
There is no denying the OnePlus One is a great phone at a ridiculously cheap price BUT before buying decide how important the use of 4G is to you in your choice of a phone. If it's not a priority then buy it without worry, BUT if it is a deciding factor in your choice of a phone then be aware that the OnePlus One does not support the 800mhz band 20 which is used by most U.K. networks, and solely by the O2 network. In fact many imported Chinese sourced phones have the same problem so check compatibilty before buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Came with pre-installed apps and malware, 10 Jan. 2015
Don't buy it unless the reseller resolves my problem (I'm waiting to hear back from them). I don't think it was the phone's fault (but more the reseller or some other party that was involved in the delivery of my phone from China to UK) but it came with malware which redirected every browser to some dodgy urls (e.g. g.qooooc.com or cool123.com). After installing AVG antivirus scanner and performing a scan 3 pieces of malware were detected and avg was unable to remove any one of them. I also did a factory reset which didn't resolve the problem. The phone also came with an Apple charger (which I assumed was to make it UK-compatible) but it didn't work so I had to use my old samsung galaxy charger to charge the phone. The phone also came with a lot of pre-installed apps which I couldn't uninstall including Baidu Browser,Mobomarket, Dr. Safety, Clean Master, Touchpal, DU speed booster and DU battery saver. I am really disappointed and hoping I can get a full refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flagship killer? And then some..., 18 Sept. 2014
First things first, if you are buying from anywhere other than the official OnePlus site, where it is now available without an invite in 16GB (white) and 64GB (black) versions, there is a chance you are receiving the Chinese version of this phone which may run Color OS out of the box rather than the International version running Cyanogenmod. If you don't know the difference between those you're going to need to do a lot more reading up on Android, Flashing, Booting, Roms and the like. It will still work fine and dandy on 2/3G but YMMV on 4G/LTE.

Onto the phone itself which comes in some of the most stylish and premium packaging i've seen. It screams quality and pride in a brand straight from the off. Unboxing is a genuine thrill. In the box is the device itself, a sim tray removal tool and the USB connector. No manual. No instructions. Again, you will need to be somewhat conversant with the search function on your browser if you get stuck here. Also supplied is the two pin plug in another beautiful box and three pin UK adapter. Slightly cumbersome and out of place in such a quality package.

From starting the phone you are lead through the set up straight into a truly wonderful user experience. Holding the OnePlus One is a joy, it feels comfortable despite the 5.5" screen and the Sandstone back is so tactile i almost want to stroke it. Around the sides is a secure metallic effect bezel and up front a gorgeous huge expanse of gorilla glass that seems a shame to touch. This is a really well put together piece of hardware, nothing looks or feels cheap. In use, operation is fast and silky smooth, 3GB of RAM means you can run GTA, Asphalt, The Room or browse videos and movies without any lag in performance and with 64GB of storage you can keep plenty of back-up data without coming close to filling the memory. That said, there is no SD card support which does seem an oversight.

The display is crisp and bright, viewing angles in all but direct sunlight are great. The dual speakers create a surprisingly loud noise that distorts toward higher volumes but is more than adequate to blast the latest non-U2 album of your choice through the house. The front camera boasts and impressive 5MP for super clear selfies with the rear upping that to a substantial 13MP. If megapixels are your thing that's a goodly number for sure but quality is also present. In low light and night shots the OnePlus struggles and there is significant grainy noise but take the OnePlus outside and it shoots clear and beautiful with a very smart macro and plethora of enhancement options built in. Video is captured smoothly with only a little noise in audio and the excellent slow motion option a joy for playing around with.

Connecting the OnePlus One to my laptop was initially a chore, "device not found, drivers not installed" and i did have to search for the correct download to enable Vista to recognise the phone. Yes, Vista... If you have this problem, try and find the correct Android SDK to download. Once over this connection has been easy and file transfer smooth.

As a start up company OnePlus has suffered several teething problems. Partnering with Cyanogenmod for the Android OS means it is always being updated. Cyanogen are themselves relatively new to having to support a consumer product as opposed to being a group of fanboy Android modders and there is still the perception that CM and CM users almost expect to encounter bugs, glitches and work arounds that should not really be released into a branded premium product. So there will be bugs through most every update (recently it was poor call quality, currently it is multi touch issues...) but updates are guaranteed on the OnePlus for at least a further 18 months and Android L is also confirmed when Google officially release it. And, of course, you can always flash a more stable ROM if necessary ;) The OnePlus One was developed to be played with and adapted. It is essential to tinker so be sure to click build number 7 times!

Other problems have seen the very new and very small company struggle to deal with both demand and customer service. In some respects this is understandable, that price tag excludes the hefty mark-up bigger companies use to put service centres into every major city. But it also means if your handset has a problem a ticket to OnePlus Customer Service will not see a swift reply and your phone will be returning to China rather than just down the road. And the sheer quality and thought put into the OnePlus One has seen its desirability just escalate ridiculously. It must also be said that as a company OnePlus have been open about and proactive in addressing their problems. Recently withdrawing the SwapStyle covers after admitting the removal and replacement of back covers was not been user friendly and could damage the handset.

So while the negatives may seem substantial, they are ultimately no more than Apple (yellow screen, reception) or Samsung (build quality, slow OS, slow camera) have faced rather just exaggerated due to OnePlus' size. My handset has no yellow banding, ghost touches or call problems and, incase you were worried, no bending issues.

The OnePlus One is tagged as the 2014 Flagship Killer and it is. Even now 6 months after release and with the iPhone 6/6+ due any day, there is still nothing that matches or betters it. In performance it leads the Antutu benchmark ahead of the Sony Z2 and HTC M8. In looks, i think it screams quality as far as any type of black rectangle can and in day to day use it is just a joy. It's exclusive, premium and gorgeous gorgeous, gorgeous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flagship killer? Not so much, 16 Jan. 2015
With a tagline of "Never Settle" I was expecting a great deal from this phone. So about a month ago I bought one for my daughters 21st. It arrived quickly and was fabulously packaged. She was thrilled, she liked the fact it was different and that her friends had heard of it, but never seen one because they were hard to get.

Sadly how quickly all that changed, around Christmas it became sluggish to touch, need to be rebooted before responding again. Then recently it stopped charging after 24hours charging while powered down it has only reached 50% charge. As she uses it obviously it looses charge so after a few hours of use it needs another 24hours powered down. This makes it utterly useless.

It could have been such a great product but seems badly let down by quality control. If you google 'one plus one not charging' or 'one plus one problems' you will find many posts relating to this problem along with yellowing screens and poor touch control. It would also appear from these that one plus one have poor customer support.

Combined with the recent news that OPO may be splitting from Cyanogenmod makes this a worrying choice, when is a bargain not a bargain? When it's not fit for purpose.

I really really wanted this phone to be good, to live up to all the hype. I don't like and never have the walled garden approach of Apple, but I am getting tired of the non-stop all pervasive never ending intrusions of Android.

I just want a phone that lets me and my family browse the internet without being stalked by companies who see our 'Data' as part of their business model.

1.0 out of 5 stars Handset unable to get signal in the UK with multiple SIMs, 27 Nov. 2014
Despite using an image of the UK version of the phone on Amazon (with the CyanogenMod logo on the back) this is not the UK version. After receiving my handset, I discovered that the product is actually the Chinese version designed to run TD-LTE (it actually has "TD-LTE" along with a load of Chinese text on the back.

You may have heard that the Oneplue One is incompatible with some 4G networks in the UK. Well, the handset I received is incompatible with ALL networks in the UK, whether it's 2G, 3G or 4G. I got no signal in 2 days of use, with testing on both O2 and Three SIM cards. (and yes, I did try putting the sim tray in the other way round to make sure I hadn't inserted upside down).

In4dealz have clearly tried to retrofit Chinese versions of these handsets by installing CyanogenMod over the original Color OS. Whether something they did with the OS caused my problems, I don't know, but I will be returning this product for a refund.