5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Bed Companion
Ideal Bed Companion
===================
I often have the laptop propped up on the bed when we're watching a film or catching up on iPlayer. Occasionally the laptop has become so hot that you can feel it through the quilt. Once or twice the laptop has turned itself off as it's become too hot. (Normally at an interesting part in the film.)

COOL AND...
Published 11 months ago by the lambanana

2.0 out of 5 stars A Good Product With Flaws, SEE UPDATES.
FURTHER UPDATE: The cooling fans need to be a little more powerful and the pass through USB socket is more or less useless. It is so cheap and the slightest movements sees it lose connection. This cooling pad needs to be improved as its TOO CHEAP!
AN UPDATE TO WHAT I FIRST WROTE: The cooling mat does the job but in my opinion they should sort out the blue lights with...
Published 9 months ago by Honest Hari

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Bed Companion, 22 Aug. 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: AVANTEK CP172 15''-17'' Laptop Notebook Cooling Pad Chill Mat with Dual 160mm Blue LED Fans (Electronics)
Ideal Bed Companion
===================

COOL AND QUIETISH
=================
This is a rather nice cooling device. As you can imagine, you simply locate the pad under the laptop and, Hey Presto! a cool laptop. You know it's on as it's not silent but it's reasonably quiet-ish.

THE BLUE LEDS
=============
I think these look cool. My wife disagrees. I think they make it look a little sci-fi. She thinks it makes it look garish.

RECOMMENDED
===========
For the price I think it's a handy little gadget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 22 Oct. 2014
I have had a few laptop fans, and the majority aren't that well built and hardly keep the laptop temps down. This one is actually very solid, and works really well.

I use this fan for my gaming laptop, as its overclocked it produces much more heat. Subsequently I need to keep it cool, it is easily keeping my laptop at 27 degrees idle, and max temps reach is about 60 with this.

Really recommend this, better than others by a mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it, 17 Sept. 2014
After purchasing a couple of cheap ones here on Amazon to run on my disco laptops which work fine. I got this one for the home Laptop and what a difference! silent and smooth, more robust but be careful of the angle, the laptop slides off! I have it on a gorilla laptop stand and had to put a couple of "stops" in the top mesh to stop the slow slide. Brilliant, worth the cash, now my friend ordered one of these... The fans seem to run a little slower with bigger blades keeping the noise to a minimum, I have a "cool" laptop :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool cooling pad, 14 Aug. 2014
Alien937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The 15-inch version of this cooling pad is just the right size for a 13.3-inch MacBook Pro; a 15-inch laptop will probably jut out over the edges slightly. Most laptop cooling pads have a ridge or stopper along the lower edge to stop your laptop from sliding off, so I was a bit disappointed at first to see that this pad doesn't have one. Fortunately, my laptop manages to stay put anyway, and this applies both when the pad's rear legs are in the closed position, such as when the pad is resting on your lap, and when the legs are deployed for use on a flat surface such as a desk. I believe the pad's top surface - made of all-over metal mesh - works to grip your laptop's feet, largely obviating the need for a stopper.

The cooling pad is low-profile and lightweight yet sturdy. The surface mesh allows for excellent airflow compared to some other cooling pads I've tried. The LED lights look cool (there's no option to turn them off) and - very importantly - the vibration from the pad's fans isn't too bothersome.

Avantek's cooling pad loses half a star for having no lower edge stopper, which may affect some users. Apart from that it's surprisingly well-built and effective considering its low price tag.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliant but not for gaming, 14 Oct. 2014
The delivery was fast and the product looks exactly like in the photo. It runs quite quietly too which is great. The problem is that it does not work very well with my laptop (ASUS N81). The hottest spot is at the top right of my laptop body but the two fans are in the middle and they are not powerful enough to disperse the cool air to the top right area. My laptop still overheats and crashes. One solution I found was to place my laptop so that the hottest spot is above the fan but it's wonky and not a long-term solution I'd like.

However, note that I use my computer for gaming (the Sims 3) and that's why my laptop gets so hot the cooling pad can't save it. I'd say that this is not powerful enough for gaming laptop, but for normal use I'm sure it will work fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, quiet, good quality, nice design and a great price., 6 Nov. 2014
A great product - lightweight, quiet, good quality, nice design and a great price. I would definitely recommend it if you have moderate overheating issues. The fans are large so they cool your entire laptop base, but they don't move a lot of air so the cooling is quite slow. If you have extreme overheating issues you'll probably need a more powerful, noisy, and laptop-specific pad. But I reckon this will do me for a few years, then if I need more cooling I'll modify it with my own fans. It fits my 17" Lenovo G560 perfectly & looks like it was designed for it. There are also vents on the sides so you can use it on soft surfaces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and efficient, 21 Jun. 2015
Amazon Customer "Angela" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have a 17-inch laptop and it fits it perfectly. I have had 2 other makes of laptop cooler before this one and so far this is the one I have been happiest with. The two large fans do a much better job than the others I have used before due to the fans being better situated and there being two of them. I had a Belkin cooler before this and it was pretty much a waste of time because it had a small fan in the center and nowhere near the part of my laptop that tended to get hot, this, however, is not the case with the Avantek. Although it is not perfect it is a vast improvement on others.

It has a quiet operation compared to my previous cooler too. I would have given it 5* if it wasn't for the fact that you have to switch it off via a switch at the back of it every time you have finished using it. It is much easier if you just have to unplug it from the USB port. What I like about this cooler is that my laptop feels secure on the pad. When I was using the Belkin it had a tendency to slip off. There are also two feet in the base if you wish to have the pad at a bit of a tilt or flat depending on your needs. Very Happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Perfect Laptop cooling pad., 21 Oct. 2014
Don't normally write reviews but this product is brilliant. It came super fast and was really well packaged. Cooling pad is awesome, was a little worried about the mesh top holding my laptop while it was slanted but it holds it in position no problem. Quiet as a mouse, only way you will hear this fan is if you are sat in the dead of night and even then it really is not at all annoying.
Perfect in everyway except one thing, I only wish you could turn the neo lights off every now and again, they are cool but sometimes I would like them off, otherwise i'm really glad I choose this cooling pad for my gaming laptop. A*

4.0 out of 5 stars A cooling pad that actually works, 25 May 2015
VictorS (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
I was sent this cooling pad from Avantek so I could review it. First of all let me start by saying that I always thought of cooling pads of being more a gimmick than an actual useful product.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

Avantek start by telling us: "Heat damages electronics, when your laptop is running hot.", and even than that is not completely correct, they have a point, and we have all seen it's effect, when the temperature gets too high, the CPU and the laptop stop performing as they should.

This shouldn't normally happen under standard use of a laptop. I find that my laptop heats up quickly when watching movies or when I'm playing games. I have installed on my laptop a program called Core Temp, just so I can keep an eye out on the temps.

So, I did the ultimate test, full battery charge, cooling pad fitted and watched a movie on my laptop. I don't normally hold my laptop on my lap, I just put it on a footstool, but this time I wanted to test the cooling effect of these dual 160mm fans.

I watched the whole movie without once feeling uncomfortable from the heat. The only downside is that the battery emptied faster than the usual. I normally get between 4 and 6 hours of screen time while watching movies on half brightness, and this time I got a Low battery warning at the end of a 2 hour movie.

One more little issue, is the beautiful blue light, as good as it looks it is a bit annoying seeing it while watching a movie. A button to turn it off would've been great, but this is certainly not a deal breaker.

In conclusion, this Avantek cooling pad is quiet, slim, very well made and it actually works.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's pretty sturdy and i'm happy that my laptop doesn't rear ..., 6 Nov. 2014
it's pretty sturdy and i'm happy that my laptop doesn't rear up it's fans to the highest anymore, the fans still go but not as bad as it was before so it's a improvement, i can sit the tray on my lap without burning my legs which is a big plus for me, before i was almost getting blisters on my legs from the heat.
the fan blows out a slight cool breeze from underneath and the sides so i know it's doing something, they are quiet too, the cooling also keeps the air vents on the side of the laptop warm, before i couldn't touch it because it was so hot.

the usb port at the back is upside down so when trying to charge something or plug any usb device in there you can't see anything :S
the metal mesh holds the laptop sturdy enough i was surprised with that, the grips underneath the laptop holds it'self to the tray, sometimes it moves about and i have to adjust it back into position slightly.

putting the tray with the laptop on the sofa caused a few issues, the usb cable at the back were pulled out and when i sat down the laptop moved about, a flat straight surface is more preferred for a tray like this.

the lights are a big issue with the battery as another customer has mentioned, when the laptop is on battery charge and not on the mains it effects the battery in a big way, the battery drains much faster, the lights look nice in the dark but apart from that there should be a option to turn then off when using the laptop while on battery.

in terms on weight and size, it adds a slight bulk to the laptop but i can still pick it up with my arm so it's not that bad.

overall i'm happy with the cooling tray and i hope it keeps my laptop cool for a while.

edit: just a update, after 5 months the fans have unfortunately stop working, i'm not sure if i am covered by a 12 month warranty i will contact the seller and find out.

it's the wire connected at the back, the cable is loosing up and you have to bend the cable to get it working again, :(