5.0 out of 5 stars Life-affirming honesty... and a lot of laughs
Published 10 months ago by Holly C

3.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster of emotions
I could really relate to parts of this book. It made me cry and laugh. Some of the thought processes and meetings a little random, too many people involved.
Published 9 months ago by Woburn 38

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-affirming honesty... and a lot of laughs, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Wondering Woman: a true story of one struggling mum's search for her inner superhero (Kindle Edition)
The books opens with the writer describing a kind of breakdown that she suffered. Now, I've never suffered any kind of mental health problem but I'm sure that most people - especially most mums! - might have felt pretty close to the edge at times. This isn't a self-help book, it doesn't offer advice as such. But it does remind you just how much there is to love about life and how a lot of us probably don't make the most of what we have.

It's moving and uplifting and the writer comes across as inspiring but not preachy. And really - she is just an everyday kind of person who feels they've got something to share. It's really very funny in parts and I like that the book itself actively confronts the process of its writing. Rarely does anyone expose so much of themselves, so honestly. It's refreshing.

I read this book in three sittings, which I think is a pretty good sign. It's definitely a page turner! That said, I think it would be just as easy to dip in and out of.

Read this unique, clever book for everyday inspiration, female solidarity and for a kick up the backside if you're feeling a little sorry for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, reassuring, thought provoking, amusing, General all round great book, 16 July 2014
I am someone who reads a lot, yet is rarely moved enough to write a review. I'm also not a mum, nor suffered from depression, and yet this is the first book in a long time I've not wanted to put down - quite simply, it is great!

The honesty that comes through is so heartening. As a reader, you are along for the journey. I have seen the impact of depression on friends and family, but have rarely if ever seen such an open narrative on it. There is no "woe is me", just a straight to the point "s*** happens, let's find a way to deal with it, and could this helps others" approach. Suzy welcomes you into her world, a world that she hasn't always enjoyed, but through the course of the book you sense her growing in strength, which in turns leaves you as the reader feeling stronger as a person.

I look forward to her next book-baby, and will be keeping an eye on the book website to see the development of many of the ideas from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me wondering about my creativity!, 25 July 2014
This is a refreshing read- an intelligent women's magazine with the advertisements omitted. This text does much to inspire and even goes some way to providing therapy by proxy! As I read this whilst simultaneously entertaining my children; setting up homework activities; working through emails; assessing assignments; cooking tea and tidying this house- the added guilt of promoting linear success from the trappings of such was glum. However- I have been inspired by many of the voices in the book- and not least by the author's courageous honesty. My guilt has been personified on the back seat of my bus and I can continue on my journey, knowing the destination is worth travelling to.

Thanks, Little Miss Superhero- for a brilliantly written and enormously though-provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an enlightening book, 26 Jun. 2014
This is a book I could really identify with. It had me laughing and it had me cringing. It has left a deep impression on me, the sign of a good book. At the end of the day, we’re all human, and this is what this book is about to me: a woman’s struggle with her identity, her confidence, her self-image and her relationships. It was also a great insight into how depression can affect someone, mentally, physically and practically and how we should listen to our instincts to find our way back to better times. It also helped me work out that we should decide what is important to us in life, and pursue that, and try not to waste energy worrying about measures that we don’t value personally. She is one courageous author – I should like to know her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 19 July 2014
Mainly for mums, especially those who have had a hard time or think a lot of people have a bad attitude about it, but it doesn't hurt for fathers to read it either, especially if they do pre-school pickups. (Why don't people follow the basic rules of human courtesy in those situations? Idiots.) There is loads more to laugh at too - like her husband's poo art. And a bunch of fascinating interviews with cool people like Sarah Beeny and Simon Munnery. The first chapter is the funniest thing I've read in ages, and it's worth buying the book for that alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully inspiring and brave, 26 Jun. 2014
A beautifully written book that had me in fits of histerical laughter and uncontrollable sobbing.
I really felt like I was on a journey with Suzy and the way she wrote her stucatto ramblings at the beginning gave me a glimpse of what was going on in her head.
This book has certainly inspired me and I now get very mucky with the kids. It has also taught me to push the boundaries of your comfort zone and be brave.
Read this and get inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 17 Aug. 2014
P. M. Sawyer (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
Honest, inspiring and refreshing to read. Wondering woman had me laughing, crying, despairing and cringing right along with her. There isn't a mother out there who hasn't been pushed close to the edge but few are brave enough to admit it publicly. I have no experience of mental health problems but feel like I might understand a little bit more having read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 23 Jun. 2014
I loved this book and laughed and cried while reading it. It brilliantly tackles the taboo surrounding mental health and also the struggles of 21st century mums. Suzy Bashford is a fantastic new author. I felt informed and inspired after reading the book and I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars funny and made me think hard about motivations and positivity, 11 Aug. 2014
An intriguing read, which was moving, funny and made me think hard about motivations and positivity. It's full of interesting psychological insights and entertaining anecdotes. Original and amusing, a fascinating reflection on today's challenges that so many people face.

3.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster of emotions, 4 Aug. 2014