• nejma

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 26 March 2016
Salt was my first introduction to Nayyirah Waheed. Then I read Nejma and I became enamoured all over again. I feel that it's futile to compare the books because they each have a distinct personality in how they have been created. The poems in Nejma speak to me in ways I hadn't experienced when learning about poetry in High School. The fact that Nayyirah discusses identity mixed with imagery of stars, I feel like this book almost cleanses you. Writing like this is rare. Beautiful.
on 15 July 2014
This had to be one of the hardest books for me to put down. I read it in 7 days, most times reading the same page 3-5x over. I have never felt one with anything. I have never been more in love with words. Nayyirah has a different narrative. It is unique, abstract, pure, and freeing! She literally liberates you with her sonnets. Her one-liners. Her titles. I have been able to identify with her voice. Learn her lessons. Smile, laugh, swoon! I could go on, because there is SO MUCH! to say about it. But my words will never truly amount. This is a book of pearls I will treasure forever. Please invest into this incredible woman's art. You will never regret a penny you spend.
on 1 July 2014
Nayyirah Waheed's second book!! Yes please! nejma is a beauty. It's poetry takes you through a journey. I highly recommended this book for its honesty and richness. There are beautiful poems that stay with you and poems that teach you and poems that awaken you. Each read of this book highlights something new and wonderful that inspires you. "Let nejma have you".
on 1 July 2014
I didn't think anything could strike me harder than 'salt' the authors first offering, but Nayyirah Waheed has done it again with her second collection of works, nejma.

I always love the thickness of Waheed's books ...they are so abundant, and I find this to be rare with poetry collections, especially these days.

This is some outstanding work - Waheed is such an atmospheric writer, blending in a myriad of themes some of which explore the cosmos - how it affects the soul in tandem with each of our personal understandings of environment, space and time. The poems are magnificent in terms of form and substance and are an array of rich, lush works dense with imagery, reflections on love and life and the inner workings of the heart, mind, soul and body - speaking on subjects such as the interior of anti blackness, journeys through family and religion and the joy in grieving. I was especially struck by the series of Madiba poems and the gorgeous sensuality in the work throughout the book.

I am changed since reading this, and I would expect that there will be more than a few profoundly affected by the words. I will certainly be buying a copy for a few of my nearest and dearest. I can't recommend nejma highly enough.
on 18 September 2014
Healing to the point of a cleansing sustenance, refreshing and enlightening.
A new piece on most pages the book sears easily threw your fingers and you get a motion of something very important happening.

From a beautiful Black Woman
You will re-read again
on 10 April 2016
I read this before Salt and I can see why some people have said Salt is better. Nejma is personal. It focuses on race, being en ethnic minority and also an immigrant. It has the callings of struggle, pain and also loss. Some of the poems do repeat themselves but I didn't mind this as the reiteration just makes her points stronger. The actual production of the book didn't need to be so big as some of the words can be lost on the page and it could have fitted a normal size book and still have the same effect. It's definitely one to read at home opposed to one that you can pop in your handbag. I would say Salt is better as it seems more complete but I love the way she structures her poems and the way she has with words so here's hoping for a 3rd book!
on 29 February 2016
I read the book in just one sitting. I have the book 'salt' by the same author and I must say in comparison to the book nejma, 'salt' comes first place for me. Although saying this I feel I should have read one poem or two a day, as I feel there is much meaning in just one poem alone, which was hard for me to grasp the first time around. I definitely feel so much could be learnt from each poem. This book of poems is to be read over and over again, readers will not get tired of the book. I'm so happy I made this purchase and I'm looking forward to more books from this author.
on 8 August 2014
beautiful and talking lines of love/ wisdom/ blackness/ nature and everything in between. this book is journey breaking the barriers of *your* English. <3
on 28 September 2014
As a woc, Nejma is one of the first poetry collections that has truly spoken to me in years. Each word, each sentence resonates so strongly that I had to pause before moving on to the next poem. Waheeds' poems have a sense of both fragility and strength to them, which is part of what makes them so enticing. Nayirrah Waheed has become one of my favorite poets and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for her future projects. This collection of poems is beautiful, inside and out. It is definitely worth both your time and money.
on 26 April 2016
"we
return to each
other
in waves.
this is how water
loves."

- from Nejma by Nayyhirah Waheed

I suspect that Waheed's beautiful words are those I will seek refuge in and come back to over and over again in my lifetime. And I am young.