on 19 August 2014
Einstein's early life and his famous equation. The author gives a good character picture of young Einstein, who comes across as a pleasant but rather obsessed person. He married and it seems that his wife's support was crucial to his early career as expense of her own. Sadly, although he loved his family, Einstein's work was his priority and they broke up.
Some things seem sketched around. For example, he was a Jew and this gets a couple of mentions but was he at all affected by anti-semitism? He changed his nationality, but no reason is given. But it does show how he failed to fit into the educational mould of the day and exasperated his tutors - pity you have to be a genius to get away with it.
The author has done an excellent job in describing the physics of the day. Famous (and less famous) scientists are introduced and their work simply but clearly explained. Einstein's own work is also described in simple lay terms. Notes are copious, difficult to flip to in the Kindle version but invaluable for a serious reader.
My only regret is that the book was not extended, to include Einsteins later work and his life after he remarried. Did he manage to reconcile work and family life second time around? But, within the scope of the title, it provides an excellent source and I learned a lot.
on 21 June 2014
Some of this reads like a school essay. Nothing wrong with making complicated subjects a bit more understandable to the layman (and I'm certainly a layman in this area) but at 1.99 for 79 pages of wiki-type material I think not.
on 13 July 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. Not the sort I would normally read but I found it a fascinating insight into Einstein's life. Didn't understand all the physics, but that did not detract from the enjoyment.
on 24 June 2014
In this book Robyn Arianrhod has illuminated Einstein's famous equation - and provided a compelling guide to his life as a young man. A great achievement, I recommend it.
on 5 August 2014
THis is an excellent short account of the background to Einstein's major works.. I thought I knew much of this but was pleased to find much of which I was ignorant. It also explains well the background in Physics from which his ideas developed - and this is important for young people growing uo these days with limited understanding of just how limited was our understanding at that time.. I do not know the subject well enough to vouvh for its accuracy but it seems to me very likely to be correct.
I strongly recommend it for anyone interested in the development of modern physics.
on 5 July 2014
Quite a short book with little explanation of the physics
on 29 August 2014
Three stars, to be honest, if I could give two and a half I probably would. Maybe I misunderstood the description, but I was expecting more of a story about the early life of the great man, and not so much technical information. Had I wanted to learn about his work in detail there are better reads I'm sure. For someone who isn't really scientifically minded and doesn't actually understand the theory of relativity it is a bit of a slog. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed, still, some you win some you lose.
on 24 July 2014
I knew from reviews that this a short book. However, I was still reading merrily away at 66% when it came to an abrupt ending. It seems the last third consists of author's notes and bibliographies.
Now the "book" itself. Reasonably interesting; the technical details were just about as much as I could manage and the details of Einstein's early life were quite new to me. Pity it stopped without covering his later life after the 1930's
on 7 July 2014
What a fantastic book. I wish I had something like this book when I was school.
The author has written this clearly and simply. That is saying something, especially when talking about a subject most people shy from. Despite Einstein's brillance most people only know about his later life. What a fresh insight. Really impressed. Good stuff.
on 21 September 2014
This is a very clear and interesting account of Einstein's early life and of the development of his theories. My only hesitation in recommending it is that I would have loved if the same elements could have dealt with the rest of his life and intellectual development.