5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin
Einstein's early life and his famous equation. The author gives a good character picture of young Einstein, who comes across as a pleasant but rather obsessed person. He married and it seems that his wife's support was crucial to his early career as expense of her own. Sadly, although he loved his family, Einstein's work was his priority and they broke up.
Some...
Published 10 months ago by Stan

2.0 out of 5 stars School Essay
Some of this reads like a school essay. Nothing wrong with making complicated subjects a bit more understandable to the layman (and I'm certainly a layman in this area) but at 1.99 for 79 pages of wiki-type material I think not.
Published 12 months ago by Zwartekat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 19 Aug. 2014
Stan (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Einstein: And the story of E=mc2 (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Some things seem sketched around. For example, he was a Jew and this gets a couple of mentions but was he at all affected by anti-semitism? He changed his nationality, but no reason is given. But it does show how he failed to fit into the educational mould of the day and exasperated his tutors - pity you have to be a genius to get away with it.
The author has done an excellent job in describing the physics of the day. Famous (and less famous) scientists are introduced and their work simply but clearly explained. Einstein's own work is also described in simple lay terms. Notes are copious, difficult to flip to in the Kindle version but invaluable for a serious reader.
My only regret is that the book was not extended, to include Einsteins later work and his life after he remarried. Did he manage to reconcile work and family life second time around? But, within the scope of the title, it provides an excellent source and I learned a lot.

2.0 out of 5 stars School Essay, 21 Jun. 2014
Zwartekat (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight!, 13 July 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. Not the sort I would normally read but I found it a fascinating insight into Einstein's life. Didn't understand all the physics, but that did not detract from the enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read on a difficult subject, 24 Jun. 2014
In this book Robyn Arianrhod has illuminated Einstein's famous equation - and provided a compelling guide to his life as a young man. A great achievement, I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars THis is an excellent short account of the background to Einstein's major works, 5 Aug. 2014
THis is an excellent short account of the background to Einstein's major works.. I thought I knew much of this but was pleased to find much of which I was ignorant. It also explains well the background in Physics from which his ideas developed - and this is important for young people growing uo these days with limited understanding of just how limited was our understanding at that time.. I do not know the subject well enough to vouvh for its accuracy but it seems to me very likely to be correct.
I strongly recommend it for anyone interested in the development of modern physics.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 5 July 2014
Quite a short book with little explanation of the physics

3.0 out of 5 stars but I was expecting more of a story about the early life of the great man, and not so much technical information, 29 Aug. 2014
Three stars, to be honest, if I could give two and a half I probably would. Maybe I misunderstood the description, but I was expecting more of a story about the early life of the great man, and not so much technical information. Had I wanted to learn about his work in detail there are better reads I'm sure. For someone who isn't really scientifically minded and doesn't actually understand the theory of relativity it is a bit of a slog. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed, still, some you win some you lose.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing end!, 24 July 2014
I knew from reviews that this a short book. However, I was still reading merrily away at 66% when it came to an abrupt ending. It seems the last third consists of author's notes and bibliographies.
Now the "book" itself. Reasonably interesting; the technical details were just about as much as I could manage and the details of Einstein's early life were quite new to me. Pity it stopped without covering his later life after the 1930's

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never been educated in physics or such like but always fascinated, 10 July 2014
I have never been educated in physics or such like but always fascinated. This suited me perfectly a story jam packed with facts, Im keeping it on my kindle because I know I will read it again, and probably again after that

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had this when I was at school, 7 July 2014
What a fantastic book. I wish I had something like this book when I was school.
The author has written this clearly and simply. That is saying something, especially when talking about a subject most people shy from. Despite Einstein's brillance most people only know about his later life. What a fresh insight. Really impressed. Good stuff.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›