5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing this!
The single The One I Love has a rocky beat but devastatingly sad words that brought me to tears the first time I read them: a man lying on a battlefield sings to his girl as the life blood ebbs from his body.
Published on 17 Sep 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Topping up the pension fund David?
Just listened to an advanced copy twice. Very very excited and then let down! Completely the same feeling after listening to the awful New Day At Midnight. David Gray spoilt us with White Ladder including the classic 'Babylon'. This album stinks of an artist who has not released anything for a while topping up his pension fund. The music is certainly not offensive, indeed...
Published on 21 Aug 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing this!, 17 Sep 2005
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
Alibi is another great one as is the atmospheric title track Slow Motion, but the song that I like best for the moment is the almost 7 minute long Now and Always.
If you love David Gray, and don't already have this, get hold of it as fast as you can. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The return of the Irish Troubador, 13 Sep 2005
Mr P A SUAREZ "Meg mate" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
This album is a most welcome return from David Gray.
Beautiful string arrangements combine with David's voice and guitar to create a beautiful, joyous sound.
If Mssrs Blunt, Rice etc float your boat, go back to the source and hear how it SHOULD be done by the master himself.
I can honestly recommend you buy this album without fear of dissapointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back Up To Speed, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
If this is life in Slow Motion, then this is the speed I want to enjoy it at. A great album full of wonderful melodic and distinctive David Gray songs.

Having had a huge success with White Ladder it was never going to be easy following it up. A "New Day at Midnight" was good, but having already set the standard, it suffered in comparison to "White Ladder".

However, "Slow Motion" is bang on target and proves as delightful and durable as his earlier achievement. This is a bolder and more confident offering from Gray. He has brought in wonderful orchestral arrangements and used them to great effect. The songs are grander and superbly crafted. After just one listen you are hooked by the beautiful tunes that he has weaved together to make this such a strong return to form.

His voice and use of instrumentation is a further sign of an artist maturing and feeling more comfortable about his fame and status. The more confident and relaxed he becomes, the more he writes from the heart and not for the commercial market. Ironically, however, as a result of this confidence, he ends up with the quality of material that makes him more commercial once again. A strange twist to the cycle!!

"Alibi", "The One I Love" and "Hospital Food" seem to be on most people's list of favourites, but all tracks are excellent. For the benefit of non-Welsh speakers, "Nos Da Cariad" simply means goodnight my loved one.

This album I love and play on a regular basis. It lifts me and gets me singing along in a joyous fashion. 10/10 in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Motion - Fantastic Album!!!, 21 Sep 2005
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
I am a lover of "White Ladder" and thought nothing could top it, I have to say that "Slow Motion" is coming in a very close second!!! From the second you put the disc on you don't want to turn it off! First tune you hear is "Alibi" what a great song as is "Lately", "Now and Always", " Slow Motion" if fact all are great songs!! " The one I love" is going to be a classic David Gray song, around forever! If you love White Ladder you will love this, just go and buy the cd, you will not be dissapointed! A fantastic album from a fantastic man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to Form, 5 Mar 2006
Steve Hills "merse-10" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
Life in Slow Motion is a definate return to form for David Gray.
White Ladder was superb, in fact one of my favourite albums of all time but Life In Slow Motion runs it close.
This album is different sounding to White Ladder, perhaps more like the previous album but with greater quality. Dont get me wrong "A new Day At Midnight" was a good album but not every song hit the mark.
Life in Slow Motion has potential singles throughout, each song carrying the unique David Gray sound and all superbly written.
The album is beautifully crafted - a mastereice of song writing.
Music should be about evoking emotions and Gray manages to do this with each and every song on the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Excellence, 10 Jan 2006
Joe Shaw "sellerjoe69" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
Initially, I didn't expect much of this from what i had heard of it. I was a big fan of his previous album, and when this was announced I was expecting something great. However i heard a song off it and wasnt impressed. However, having recently purchased it, i have found it to be a great mellow album. It is calm and relaxing, great to put on in the car or in an evening. Some of the songs are a bit more abstract and unusual than the songs on White Ladder. These songs work well though, and I would highly recommend this album to any fan of soft rock and lo-fi music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 31 Jan 2006
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
David Gray's life in slow motion is amazing. It is the first album i have bought of his, "the one i love" tempted me into buying it. The best tracks in my opinion are "alibi", "the one i love" and "slow motion". I don't regret buying the album at all even though i only really listen to 5 or six songs on it. I think i'll have to buy some of his previous albums now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contains Some of Davids Best, 3 Oct 2005
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
Many artists turn out album after album with only one song worth listenting to. David continues to deliver music that can never be listened to enough. Life In Slow Motion is a great album with some of his finest work. My favorites are: the title track, Alibi, Lately and Aint No Love. I hope that David goes on to produce more of this quality of work. Clearly the wait we have between albums is apparent in the end product.
A truly awesome piece of music.
Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing, 30 Sep 2005
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
An excellent offering from David Gray. I had this on almost continuous play on my pc at work and really loved it. My sister borrowed it as I'd been raving about it so much - now she won't give it back to me. She's keeping it as an early birthday present and I've had to order another copy for myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, 11 Oct 2005
M. E. Atkinson "maz" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life in Slow Motion (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this new cd, some fresh ideas, but still the same David-type stuff, that's why I bought it. Some people scoff that there's some of the old type music,but surely that is why people go back and buy more, they like what he does, and he does it so very well. Is his voice a bit more gravelly? It sounds sexier to me! I seem to have been waiting ages for this album, not so long next time, please. Just want new Damien Rice!!!

Life in Slow Motion