on 3 June 2014
Having waited some time for this to arrive,I was disappointed to discover that it has the terrible sound quality of other Outta Sight CDs I have bought.
This is a pity since the compilers have great taste,the notes are interesting and the selection is fabulous.Why couldn't they do something about the sound?Maybe Kent will bring out something similar.
This 28 track compilation by 'Outta Sight' records covers the years 1959 to 1962. Thus all tracks are now in the public domain. This maybe part of the reason as to why the overall sound quality of these tracks isn't great - it's not poor but it's not great. Obviously, these tracks are rare and in some cases perhaps the masters cannot be found. However some of these tracks are available on other soul cd's from 'Kent' records and sound top notch - in my opinion it's a poor show from 'Outta Sight' records, more effort and money needed to be put into this compilation. Now that's off my chest, I'll write about the music. There are several great tracks on this compilation - 'My guardian angel' by Jimmy Breedlove and 'You'll come back' by Ronny Douglas are simply fantastic and will have you wondering why they weren't huge hits. The main bulk of the tracks are good with a few poor ones - perhaps not to my taste - too old fashioned. Overall, an opportunity missed - some great tracks let down by OK sound quality which isn't good enough really. 6.5/10.

Ps. The cd front cover is slightly different than shown.
on 19 June 2014
At first I thought this music sounded too old fashioned, but I listened a few times and was hooked. I love melodies, and there is no shortage of them on this CD - shame the sound quality on one or two is so bad - but I'd rather have bad quality recordings than no access to these hidden gems. My favourite track that wormed it's way into my brain on first listen is Gene Stridel's "Let her go". I hope "Outta Sight" do a follow up. (Note would have given 5 stars easily if sound quality was better)