5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence Steming From a Honest Understanding of Life
Published on 18 May 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed
I've never read a book where my feelings toward the story and the author kept rising and dipping, over and over. On the one hand, Mori is a beautiful writer. Her words are lyrical, and she tells a good, even suspenseful story. At times I didn't want to put the book down.
Published on 26 Feb 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, 26 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Alternately, there were at least 3 times--and I'm only halfway through the book--where I just wanted to slam the book down, thinking, OK, enough is enough. Her bitterness toward her father, stepmother, and even the Japanese culture manifests itself in--simply put--whining. It isn't that I'm not sympathetic--indeed, I can relate to alot of the issues she talks about; it's the reason I wanted to read her story--but, like the other reviewer wrote, enough is enough. She refuses to let go or at least try to understand or come to terms with her pain. It's family-bashing and Japan-bashing with no grey in between. At many points the book reminds me of an unconstructive, dragged-out heart-to-heart with a friend who goes over every angry detail for the upteenth time.
The only reason I tried to plow through this was my hope to see that "breakthrough." Now that I've read the other reviewer's comment that it doesn't ever come, I think my time will be better spent reading other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence Steming From a Honest Understanding of Life, 18 May 1999
By A Customer
This book may have alot of mixed reviews but, it is a honest work! The author does not mask emotions in order to make the reader feel comfortable. While reading this work you may feel as if you are on an emotional joyride. However, this is an account of a highly personal experience. One that may help you put things into perspective by comparison. This book does not suggest a way for the reader to discern her life. It simply invites the reader to explore through her eyes. Wonderfully written!! Highly expressive. A must read for anyone who may wish to understand Japanese/American insight. The same review can be made for Polite Lies. You absolutely will not feel the reading of either books to be a waste of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eloquent, 5 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Mori writes eloquently and beautifully about her journey to Japan and to her sad and haunting childhood. By reliving the past she is able to shed some of her pain and remorse and emerge a more complete and peaceful person. I loved it.

The Dream of Water: A Memoir