5.0 out of 5 stars A 4.5 Star Debut
The debut album by London Grammar, If You Wait, has, no pun intended, been well worth the wait. The band spent 18 months writing and recording this album, and that patience really shows. It feels to me like there's a lot of bands that rush to get albums out on a wave of hype, then they're rather disappointing, but this is not the case here.
London Grammar's sound...
Published 12 months ago by Sprootie

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh but needs more depth
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A 4.5 Star Debut, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
London Grammar's sound could be summed up as a cross between the XX and Florence Welch. They have the chilled minimalistic vibe of the XX, but then Hannah Reid's voice just takes it to a new level. She can do the softer pieces very well, almost whispering at times, but then when it's required, she soars up. She has a tone in her voice that just fits perfectly with the accompaniment.
The album opens with a gentle synth riff which the guitar gentle picks away over the top of. Reid then begins the album with a very gentle opening, 'Hey now, letters burning by my bed for you'. The track continues like this until a gentle crescendo builds and the sound swells up before gently fading away. 'Hey Now' is there best known track to date, and makes a great opening to the album.
'Stay Awake', the second track starts with a ethereal sound slowly flitting around before a piano and guitar play almost in unison. A driving drum beat is then added and Reid's distinctive vocals are then thrown in.
The beauty of this album is how little seems to be going on at any one point. Everything feels like it's been very carefully considered and honed. Nothing feels like it's redundant. But all of this just draws more attention to Reid's voice and allows it to truly take centre stage as it deserves.
'Wating My Young Years', is a gentle almost soulful ballad. Reid wrote the lyrics about an ex-boyfriend, and it shows with lyrics like 'I'm wasting my young years'. The piano accompaniment with occasional guitar flits is London Grammar summed up in a nut shell.
'Metal & Dust' is another great track. It starts with a brief distorted sample and piano before Reid starts singing. The tracks then gains momentum during the chorus with a drum providing a sharpness to punctuate the rest of the rounded, delicate sound. Toward the end of the track Reid's vocals are heavily distorted and modified as the track grows towards it's pinnacle before gentle fading back.
'Interlude' is a gentle track, but sadly made very little impact on me. It has just Reid singing accompanied by a piano for most of the track. It's probably the weakest point in the album in my opinion, but every album has to have one I suppose.
The final track also shares it's name with the album, 'If you wait'. It's slow and gentle. It swells slowly in the middle and then fades away until it's only the strings guiding you to the close of the album.
This album is a masterclass of the philosophy that less is more. It's beautifully worked and structured and produced brilliantly. However my main fault with this album is that the tracks that are a little bit more varied just end up sounding boring in comparison to the four and five better one's.
In short, this is an excellent debut, one of the best for a while. Perhaps not as good as the XX's debut but not too far away. I'm not quite sure it's a five star album, but definitely worth 4.5 stars. I look forward to see if they can take this sound forwards and produce more great albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, haunting and emotive debut., 8 Aug 2014
A. Moriarty "mumoftheyear" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
I discovered this band when I heard 'Metal & Dust' during an episode of 'Beauty & The Beast' and was immediately drawn to the voice of Hannah Reid and the power of the melody. I then discovered a cover version of Chris Issak's 'Wicked Game' on the latest Dermot O'Leary Saturday Sessions compilation album and I loved what they did with it. A sparce sound (there are only three of them) that will always sound great live too. No over-production here, thank God.

So when I saw their debut album available for only £5.99 on Amazon (with auto-rip) I couldn't resist it and took a leap of faith. I am so glad that I did. I have listened to it contantly ever since on my computer and, when the CD arrived the next day, in the car too. It is just such a beautiful album. For me, the most important aspects in the music I like to listen to are melody and emotion. I don't necessarily need variety as long as it's not samey. This debut is full of great melodies and I can honestly say there are no weak tracks. It's one of those 'hairs standing up on the back of your neck jobs. 'Metal and Dust' is the most well known track I think and my concern was that it was going to turn out to be head and shoulders above the rest, but that's not the case. I love the overall melanchony nature of it (inevitable when hearing Hannah's voice) but when the beats kick in as well, you have a perfect recipe. My favourite tracks are the opening track 'Hey Now', 'Wasting My Young Years', 'Strong' and the title track as well as the aforementioned' Metal & Dust' but it really is excellent from start to finish.

I will be watching out for this band and waiting for their next offering with baited breath. In the meantime, I think this recording is not likely to be far from my CD/MP3 player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first album, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
I first heard London Grammar on the radio and her voice blew me way. I started telling my friends about them. It has an incredible resonance, a bit of Florence,a bit of Goldfrapp and a bit of originality. A beautiful beautiful album,every track is incredible, I hope they go on to make many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even for Oldies!, 9 Aug 2014
Andrew Foulds "Melancholic Grizzly" (Nottingham,uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
Love this album. To be honest I don't often buy the latest CDs but having heard this group a few times most notably on Jools Holland I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go. I haven't been disappointed the vocals are soaringly sublime, the lyrics subtle and truly complimented by the music. I might be an old fuddy duddy but I have really enjoyed this album and look forward to more by them as I think that they can only get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful!, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
I never leave reviews but this is such a stirring unique album, I couldn't not. This woman is amazing.....people compare her to Florence Welch and I understand why, but this vocalist does heartbreakingly sad like Florence could never do (not being mean, it's just true). Very few albums manage to make a tear roll down my face, but this is one of them. It's not all sad and melancholic but my god, they do it so well! Beautifully produced, a pleasure to own. Thank you London Grammar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed, 20 Sep 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
I'm always dubious when there is a lot of fuss and hype about a new album from an "exciting new band" because it's often just very ordinary stuff being cleverly marketed. Not here, though. I tried this without much expectation and was very impressed.

London Grammar's sound is haunting and mournful with generally restrained but very smart production so that these songs shine like melancholy gems. They are tuneful and quite varied, and although they're about well-worn themes they treat them with a lyrical originality which is very refreshing. I find lines like "Stay awake with me..." very evocative, for example. The instrumental work is very good, and Hannah Reid's vocals are both ætherial and powerful by turns - I was reminded of Judy Tzuke in some places and Annie Lennox in others - and she radiates emotional tenderness and integrity. I'm very well out of my teens now (to say the least), but listening to this I was suddenly nursing a bruised and yearning young heart again.

This is a little bit of class, and I suspect will become one of those albums whose sound defines a year for many people. Very warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Wait ( for the next release)., 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: If You Wait (Audio CD)
I'm sixty one years of age and I thought this cd was truly beguiling and inspirational. The lead singer's voice is captivating, pitch perfect and it has a soulful quality to it. One of the best voices I have heard since Dusty Springfield. This cd is a must for any serious music lover of whatever age. The music will last beyond any generation, it is that good. London Grammar have a very bright future!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh but needs more depth, 1 Mar 2014
London Grammar are clearly talented but they feel like a band that has come on the scene with just a tad too little material. The album feel like it was forced for commercial reasons rather than held back until there were better and more diverse selections to make in terms of tracks. Enjoyable - but I would like to see them take their time with the next album and surprise us with a more diverse mix of sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop playing it!, 7 July 2014
This review is from: If You Wait (MP3 Download)
I love it and can't stop playing it! I couldn't leave home without putting Stay Awake with Me, Nightcall, Sights and If You Wait onto my phone and playing it really loudly and singing along in my car. I discovered London Grammar whilst being poorly and not being able to get out of bed for a day. I watched hours of footage from the Glastonbury festival on the BBC iplayer and was flicking the line up, learning about lots of new bands but couldn't tear myself away from London Grammar's hour set at Glastonbury.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really love this ... what a voice!, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: If You Wait: Deluxe (Audio CD)
This isn't my usual "sort of thing", but having stumbled across them doing Strong on YouTube and also bought the two XX albums, I thought I'd give this a try.

And wow, I absolutely love it!

Particular favourites are: Wasting My Young Years, Strong, Metal & Dust and Flickers.

It's worth buying the Deluxe version, cos Darling Are You Gonna Leave Me and High Life are excellent too

If You Wait (Remixes)