5.0 out of 5 stars Polar V800 First Impressions
Published 3 months ago by KAT

As a keen open water swimmer, I was initially excited to see that a device with underwater HRM, GPS and swim metrics (firmware update in October) had been released onto the market. Sadly that excitment didn't last long as it soon transpired that the product isn't ready for market and nor are the support team...

* GPS function in water does not present correct...
Published 20 days ago by Long Distance

5.0 out of 5 stars Polar V800 First Impressions, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
Just received my Polar V800. Firstly let me point out that I am not a super athlete but a moderately healthy 50+ individual who wanted a single device to replace a multitude of other devices (Polar F80 sports watch, Nike+ Foot pod sensor, Polar Loop etc). I also strongly suspect that stronger athletes will find, as I have so far, that there is no other single device on the market that can cover the breath and depth of features as the V800 can. So my first impressions:

- One device. So far it has very quickly and seems to have accurately tracked, via the inbuilt GPS, my distance, speed, altitude.
- Great display of information: time duration, calories, etc.
- Charges quickly and seems to have a good battery life in between charges.
- A lot lighter and less bulky to wear that first impression. It is not going to win a beauty contest but is not the most ugly sports watch / monitor either,
- I use the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart rate strap (there is the option to buy the v800 with one). You can pair this with the v800 to get heart rate info etc. Polar give the impression that this is the only operating mode, however you can also avoid bluetooth pairing as the v800 will also receive the H7's analog heart rate signal. The H7 can only connect via Bluetooth to one device at a time. Pairing it with the V800 enables you to have a unique relationship with the two and therefore avoid interference from other users' heart rate transmitters. If this is not going to be a problem to you, not pairing the H7 to the v800 leaves the H7 free to pair with the Polar Beat app, for example via an iPad. This enables you to graphically view, in real time, your heart zone and exercise progress via the ipod/ipad Polar Beat app at the same time as the v800. I really like this mode of operating and The main advantage to me is that It is easier to view progress on the iPad rather than the smaller v800 screen when I am exercising using certain gym machines.
- You get 24x7 activity tracking without the need to wear an additional item, e.g.Polar Loop, Fitbit etc. However the v800's in screen info is very limited. For example you get a progress bar against a daily activity but no steps count or sleep information. This is disappointing as seeing steps count and activity to go information in the Polar Loop helps personal motivation to exercise more. Hopefully this will be addressed by some future firmware update. You do however get the steps count / sleep information, including percentage of quality sleep after you sync the v800 with the Polar Flow app / web service....:-
- The Polar Flow app / web service enables you to sync the v800 (and some other Polar products) to their free web service and therefore enables the downloading / uploading / viewing of information / stats / firmware updates etc. There are an amazing amount of stats provided including activity histories, durations, calories burnt, heart rate zone info, distances, maps of routes covered, sleep tracking, steps count, work load / recovery assessments etc. More than enough to help light to even the most advanced users assess and track exercises routines.
- I also like the ability to add further bluetooth devices for cycling, stride sensing etc. I have the latter on order so unable to comment on performance yet.

So in conclusion great single sports watch / monitor, and really provides powerful exercise information when sychn'd to the Polar Flow / web service. Cannot find another single product that can touch this and given the breadth of features seems very good value for the money. It would be great if Polar was to provide better information via the v800 for 24x7 activity/sleep tracking. That said even with this limitation I would definitely recommend buying thew v800,

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fitness monitor., 5 July 2014
I bought the pre-sale version directly from Polar and I must say its the best fitness Monitor/Sports watch I have ever owned.
All aspects of measurement are extremely accurate. The GPS is especially accurate and only takes seconds to lock and almost never loses signal.
It monitors your day to day activity as well as your logged exercises to get an accurate picture of recovery and calorie burn etc.
The Polar Flow software suite is also very good.
The watch looks very stylish and even though it is quite large you do not really notice it.
Fantastic piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge potential, but little niggles prevent five stars (for now)., 17 Aug 2014
Danielle (Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I purchased the Polar `V800 as a 'unification device' to combine the functions of my Polar Loop / Fitbit, Polar FT80 and iPhone. And as such, it very nearly does exactly that, and in several ways a lot more.

First the bad:
The product still feels incomplete, Some of the displays during training are missing information.
None of the resistance programs of the FT80 are available the V800 (I *really* hope we get these soon so I can sell the FT80).
Mine arrived with a faulty HT7 HRM (luckily I had a spare).
Some of the advertised features like HR rebroadcasting are not yet working.
No integration with third party apps like MyFitnessPal etc.
The iOS app is still beta and at the time of writing does not function correctly on iOS 8 (dev 4).

Now the good:
The V800 is very well built, superb quality and remarkably light weight considering it feels like a solid lump.
Even on my lady-girl wrist the watch looks smart and not too big like some of the previous generation of GPS sports watches.
The programs that are present are very good, with some *really* nice features like the vibrating lap timer and swimming modes.
Battery life seems excellent and has only required charging once this week (which has included 8+ hours of running fitness programs).
The V800 should improve over time if Polar keep developing it (FT80 style weight training program please!!).

Overall then, four stars and could well become a five star product if Polar can make it integrate with other apps and finish the software before Apple establish the iWatch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS training watch, 29 Aug 2014
This watch was bought as a replacement for my Garmin Forerunner 410. Polar has done an excellent job designing this watch, it is by far the most stylish GPS training watch I have seen, and matches a wide range of clothing (you can even change to an 'analog' watch face when not in training mode if you want). The watch is also very intuitive and easy to use, while having many advanced features. You do not need to read any manuals to figure out how it works, just pick it up and start using in. If you want to fine-tune any displays or choose your favorite types of training activities, the Polar Flow web-based software is also very intuitive. Connect the watch to your computer via the provided USB power cord, and Flow lets you decide what stats (heart rate, altitude, time of day, speed, temperature, etc) you want displayed on the watch face for different training activities that you are interested in - and then just hit 'Sync' to send the updated training profiles to your watch.

Polar seems to have also done quite a bit of research to make this watch fit into your training routine naturally. For the first training run, it took about thirty seconds or so to find GPS reception, but on subsequent training runs it picked up GPS signals within a few seconds, since the watch anticipates future GPS satellite positions to lock-on faster. The GPS signal itself was very accurate, even while running in forested trails. If you need to pause your training run (i.e. waiting at a stop-light while running), and forget to resume training mode, the watch will vibrate to remind you it is still paused. The watch also vibrates every lap (i.e. every 1km by default in metric mode), a nice reminder if you want to check out your average pace over the past km or so, or to check your heart-rate to see if you're in a good zone or need to increase the intensity.

Post-training session, connecting the watch to the USB port of your computer will automatically launch the Flow software and download your training information to the Flow site, where you can see all the detailed statistics and graphs you might want to see about your session (you can of course scroll through all these stats on the watch itself as well), as well as a Google-Maps based view of your training session. It also lets you see a summary of your total training for the day, week, or month. And there's a very cool gimmick where you can 'Relive' a training session, after a recent hiking session, it was very neat to see the summary, showing some sample photographs from the hiking area (nice if you are travelling somewhere new), and the points of the session with the highest altitude, highest heart rate, and highest speed. You can set your training sessions as either private (only for you to see), or public for others to see - you can see other public training sessions in your area for ideas on new running routes, biking routes, etc.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this watch, and do not hesitate giving it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars V800: the good, the bad and the ugly, 27 Aug 2014
Dr. M. Vladeanu "Matt" (London) - See all my reviews
OK, before we start, I just like to mention that although 100% objectivity is rather impossible to achieve, I like to stay as objective as I possibly can. I've had the V800 for 3 weeks, used it 6 times/week for running and strength training.

So, V800: the good, the bad and the ugly...

The Good:
=========
- Really accurate and easy to set up. Despite what I read on review sites, it picks up GPS signal between 5-10sec. First time it took 18 sec to pick up satelites. I do not live in a built up area. Mapping is really accurate (I run trails in Great Windsor Park - where you get lots of tree coverage). Plotting the map in Polar Flow showed the running path right smack on the trail - puny little watch but impressively accurate nevertheless.
- Lots of screen configuration options. Get the info YOU want rather than what the designer thought you shoud get. This is essential for someone like me who sometimes trains by heart zone, other times by speed or distance and also does the odd time by max hear rate fartlek. You can have all that on the screen (4 data fields) or just one. Yo can have multiple data screens at the push of a button with 1 to 4 data fields in it.
- I love, love, love the recovery status. What a fantastic feature, even if you should not totally trust it. However so far I'm injury free, so it seems to work.
- activity tracking is actually quite good. How good you ask? Ok, put it this way: it picked up the fact that I woke up last night to take a p*ss. So, I found it very accurate. Estimating BMR and the rest: well its an estimation based on a statistical regression model; so before you read whinging reviews saying its not 100% accurate thing of this: it might not give you the same calorie count as a cell-by-cell recording, but hey, short of measuring 40 odd trillion cells in your body you're getting a pretty good estimation given that all it's got to work with is an accelerometer and some stats.
- really confortable to wear. I wear mine all day long. This way it can measure you activity and adjust for recovery times. It's not a Rolex (I wouldn't wear one anyway) but I think it's not standing out as a HRM/GPS. Stylewise - I'm not gonna comment as we all have our different tastes. I'm sure some would want it with Swarowsky bling others in cammo paint and cracked screen. Personally I like it as it is as I'm more of a functionalist rather than a connoisseur of the fine arts.
- Multisport: it's great to be able to have different settings for different sports. I can't wait to take mine cycling. So far I've configured it for running and strength. It's really a running watch, but you can use the HR for other sports if you're really into them. I'm too much of a wimp for triathlon, but this watch would be fantastic to train for that.

The Bad:
=======
- Software: Loses a start for lack of integration with Android. Here I'm joining the choir of androids who are crossed with Polar. Now, I was sick and tired of my iPhone 4 and Apples complacency towards iPhones, so after 6 years of iPhones I went to HTC. What a great phone. Unfortunately I can't sync my V800 with Polar Flow app. Guess what - it won't work my my iPad 2 either. I know, I know, it's too old now. But why should I buy a new one since my old one works just fine? Am I supposed to throw away 400 just to get a new iPad to download my runs?!! You can use the cable and the PC/Mac, but you need to take the watch off, connect it, bla, bla. Ok, once a week is not too bad. Every day thoug? No way. You need blue tooth sync. Anyway, given that Android is now more widespread than IOS, I think Polar messed up here.
- No on-screen activity alerts. OK, it's great that you get these inactivity alers - these occur when you sat on your behind for too long. This always happens at work for me. Since you can't sync your data all the time with your phone (assuming you have an iPhone 5) how would you know when an inactivity alert happens? Well, after you got home and synced your data with the big PC. Really bad omission here. Should have the possibility to enable/disable these alerts on the watch.
- no export of data. Now, I like polar flow thing. It's ok. But I've bought other software that I like more and I used with my old Garmin. Also, what if I dont' want my data to be online where someone might be able to download it. Such as an unscrupulous (are there any other kind?) insurance company who would be able to monitor my physical decline in the years to come and try to push higher premiums on me. Paranoid? Hmm... please list one (only one) online site that would guarantee in writing that your data will NEVER be accessible without your consent... Read the small print folks.

The ugly:
========
- for such a high end product you'd expect a foot pod (sold separately) of similar quality, not one that looks like it came from the design bureau of Nuclear Weapon Office of the fromer Soviet Union. That thing looks like it's been built with vaccum tubes in the early 50s and has been designed to take the weight of a tank. How does Garmin manage to create one half the size and weight?
However, you don't need a foot pod, you can rely on GPS. Polar flow is not able to plot your stride length anyway.

Overall:
======
A GREAT little thing. If you're a runner you'll love it. And who knows, they might rectify some of the problems above and would make it a 5* product even for critics. Importantly, all the little flaws are easily rectifiable by some software upgrades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a work in progress, but so far very impressive., 17 July 2014
I bought mine from Amazon UK after a couple of nice price drops and it arrived today. I'm in my fifties and am on a crusade to lose weight and improve my fitness after some troubling news from the doctor a few months ago. I am not a competitive athlete, but I do want to measure/monitor my achievements and track progress towards my end goal. For such purpose this watch may seem like expensive overkill, but if it encourages and motivates me then it's a small price to pay for a healthy life.

So, about the watch....

It is large on the wrist, no doubt, but I am used to fairly substantial sports watches and it looks and feels fine to me, if rather techy. I shall be wearing it 24x7 so it needs to look OK throughout the day rather than just when working up a sweat. It's no dress watch, but it's staying on my wrist.

I found initial setup to be pretty easy via the online Polar Flow website, although there were some options which, if chosen, prevented the changes from being saved. I would put this down to beta troubles rather than a permanent failing. I hope I'm right.

So far today I have used it to track a 50 min walk with GPS and HRM, a 23 minute walk with GPS and no HRM and a 30 minute exercise bike session in which I was able to use both the watch and the Polar Beat Android app to record the session. Everything seems to have been logged perfectly so far and I feel confident that am measuring calorie burn as accurately as possible. This is especially important to me due to my weight loss goals. Of course, heart rate is an important metric and I have found the real time heart rate graphic in Polar Beta, together with the calorie count, to be highly motivating, to the extent that today's was by far my hardest exercise bike workout yet.

I know the watch and supporting software is still in development, but so far I am pretty thrilled with my purchase and any bugs with the Flow website have proved petty so far. I look forward to the time when Polar Flow is up and running for Android as well as iOS, but I can get by well enough without for now. The watch seems easy to use and familiarisation is nice and quick, despite the impressive feature set.

This will be a five star product, I'm sure, but for now I give it only four stars because the Android integration is yet to come and there do seem to be some website bugs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but the best is yet to come..., 1 Sep 2014
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a runner and from time to time a mountain biker, not a swimmer or triathlete so I cannot really comment in detail on the capabilities of the V800 in these fields. I am not an elite runner by any means but a 58 year old man that runs about 40 miles a week, on a good week. So once again I can only comment on the watch from my own perspective. To get the best from this watch you would need to be a high level multi sport Iron Man. However, the V800 has masses to offer even those of us who do not need everything it has to give. Currently I use a Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS Multisport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor , which is again a multi sport watch aimed at the serious athlete.

The watch looks great, like everyday watch rather than the usual oversized bulky sports watch.The display is clear and easy to read and there is a choice of several screens available when the watch is used in Time Mode as a normal watch.

Setting the watch up is easy to do and the watch walks you through it although for best results you need to have it connected by USB to your PC or Mac. Using the Polar website you can widely configure the watch to display multiple screens for a very wide range of sports and activities. I have mine set up for running, cycling, indoor aerobics, and non specific outdoor activities. By pressing the Start button I can scroll though to find the activity I want. Having chosen and commenced my sport I can then scroll through a further range of screens I have pre selected and configured to show heart rate (in various forms), distance, duration, altitude, pace (in various forms) and a host of other metrics with up to four on each screen. Screen scrolling can be made by pressing the up or down buttons or tapping the screen.

It will work with a variety of Bluetooth 4 heart rate monitors and is supplied with their latest and most comprehensively featured model, the Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5. I myself use it with my preferred Mio Link - Heart Rate Monitor - no more chest strap! Bluetooth, ANT+ Bluetooth, ANT+ - no more chest strap! Bluetooth, ANT+ because the Mio is worn on the wrist rather than the chest, is easier and less fiddly to fit and needs no gel or moistening to work. However, I doubt the Mio would work underwater with the V800 and the Polar HRM is required for use with the built fitness tests built into the V800 which require R-R monitoring and more than a simple heartbeat monitor to function.

Before a run the watch is very fast in acquiring satellites, so much better than my Garmin. During a run the display is bright and clear with the backlight can easily be selected by tapping the watch and can be optionally left permanently on. It is easy to scroll between the screens selected for the activity. There is haptic feedback, a buzzer built into the watch, but I have found this not strong enough to catch my attention when running and far less noticeable than that from my Garmin. After the run you see a screen with a summary of the activity and advice on the required recovery time. The watch will automatically sync over Bluetooth with a linked Apple device to upload the data to the Polar Flow website where it can be examined and edited as required in great detail. Android users at present will have to connect their phone with the supplied proprietary USB cable to upload their metrics. Incidentally, I found the USB cable to be fiddly and hard to use, getting it to connect properly to the phone is a pain and made worse by the its continual fouling of the watchstrap.

It will work when swimming and unlike rivals, including those from Garmin, it will work underwater although only with the supplied Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5. However, it does not support swimming metrics such as distance or strokes (either in a pool or in open water) but these are promised for a future firmware update. It currently supports heart rate and time only. This omission renders the watch useless for serious open water swimming or triathlon use.

The watch is also a 24/7 activity tracker and attempts to compete with the Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor - Black , Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband, and Polar's own Polar Loop Activity And Sleep Tracker. When the watch is in non sports mode it functions as a normal watch and monitors general activity and sleeping patterns in the background. This is displayed on the Status screen of the watch and is integrated with the sports activities metrics to assess the overall fitness of the user and the recovery time needed following sporting activities. In this regard it is first rate but it does not work well as a normal tracker because the watch does not show actual step count or inactivity warnings but rather a screen showing a bar graph of calorie burn for the day so far split between training, non specific activities and background usage. To see the step count itself I think you need to consult the website or app. Also it does not calculate distance nor display distance travelled from steps when in background tracking mode. These issues are promised to be supported by the end of 2014.

Battery life for the watch is first rate, from about 1 month when used as a normal watch to about 18 hours with the GPS function on, probably about 8 or 10 hours with the HRM attached. More than enough for most sports.

There are a range of competing products available and some such as the Garmin Forerunner 620 GPS Running Watch with Colour Touchscreen Display and Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Blue which offers such things as Wifi, colour touchscreen and other features not to be found here and impossible to add in firmware. Also, with the emergence of Android Wear devices and the new iPhone 6 we can expect to see an explosion in feature rich phone watches competing in the sports market and no doubt forcing new features to be added to future sports watches. It should be said that Polar have promised future Android Wear support for the V800 and this may allow it a future denied to current rivals. This could allow it to display alerts and non sports related messages and alarms from the connected Android device.

As regards the watch as it is today at the time of writing, early September 2014, I would advise Android phone users to think carefully before buying as at the moment there is no Android support even for Polar's own apps. Likewise serious triathletes would need to wait until until full open water swimming support is there.

This is a great running watch, perhaps the best available at present. In the future when or if all the promised enhancements are delivered it will be a great triathlon watch too, again perhaps the best on the market

The Good
Looks good
Works as normal watch
Works as activity tracker
Very wide range of sports supported
Great build quality
Fast satellite acquisition
Works with wide range of Heart Rate Monitors
Easy to read when running
HRM works underwater (30m)
Barometric Altimeter
Great battery life
Full metrics analysis on the excellent PolarFlow website
Works well with Polar and third party iPhone apps
Several testing modes available to determine overall fitness level
Android Wear support promised

The Bad
Many touted features of the watch yet to be available
No Android support yet (Promised for end of 2014)
No colour screen
USB Charger fiddly and hard to use
Does not yet integrate fully with Polar Loop Activity And Sleep Tracker (Promised for end of 2014)
No Wifi support
Some features work only with the Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5 HRM
No date export to third party websites (Promised for September 2014)
Lacks full open water swimming metrics (Promised for October 2014)
Does not display steps or distance in background tracking (Promised end of 2014)
No inactivity alerts for background tracker (Promised end of 2014)
No countdown between triathlon sports
No quick release cycling mount available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for sale - it's being returned. Wait for the new Garmin instead, 27 Aug 2014

* GPS function in water does not present correct data - altitude changes of over 100m in the lake, speed readings fluctating rapidly between 0 and about 10km/h, an incorrect route map showing me swimming through the car park and the woods and consequently an over estimation of the distance covered by 15-20%.
* Underwater heart rate subject to frequent drop outs.
* Customer support have two emails outstanding from me for twelve days and haven't offered any assistance except to acknowledge receipt.

Additional issues known before purchase:
* Heart Rate strap can only be worn securely in the water with a wetsuit or tri-suit top - I could live with this if everything else worked.
* Heart Rate transmitter can only clip on the front of the chest strap thus is not useable with a swim bench (e.g. Vasa).

Consequently it's being returned and I'll be waiting for the updated Garmin before Xmas, hopefully they won't be relying on their paying customers to beta test the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tick-tock!, 28 Aug 2014
B Keeler "velocirapta" (South Coast) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very complicated piece of kit but luckily there is plenty of support and decent instructions to make you feel comfortable using it! The watch itself has a large and very clear LCD display and I love the connectivity with my iPhone.

The GPS function is impressive and keeps track of your runs which you can view on your iPhone or computer later on, showing information on calories burned. It can feel a little chunky at times so it's more suitable for thicker wrists I'd say.

Overall a great watch and good for those getting into jogging or cycling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 4 July 2014
This training computer is awesome. Helps you measure every aspect of your work out. I use it to track my running. I find the recovery status it displays very useful as I have always had problems knowing when I could train again after an intense session. Feels light on your wrist.

The delivery was quick and package arrived in excellent condition.