‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of something big?, 16 Aug 2014
Hal Marshall "Literary philanthropist" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The 80s Part 2 (Audio CD)
I found this while out shopping the other day and was so impressed with its list of contents that, despite suspecting that buying it here on Amazon would also include the MP3 version and would almost certainly be cheaper to boot, I simply couldn't wait to get to know it. I gave it a lift back to my place and, quite rightly, I think it probably felt quite special at the time - although, having seen just how many OTHER 80s compilations I already had under my roof, I fear it now thinks that it's 'just another one of them'. I wish I could reassure it that, as far as I am concerned, it is far, far more.

It didn't immediately click that this compilation is the follow-up to The 80s, a somewhat more predictable four disc set that gave us 80s music compilation fans yet another opportunity to own a copy of '99 Red Balloons'. 'The 80s Part 2' does not offer any explanation whatsoever as to how its own 80 tracks were selected but, one thing's for certain - someone somewhere has actually used their imagination. I know there is a fine line that these sorts of products always tread between giving a true picture of popular 80s music on the one hand, and choosing the same songs as everybody else to do it with and therefore looking dull and predictable on the other: but this collection does have more than a spark of individual flair about it.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why the songs have been presented in the playing order they have either although, by randomly distributing music from different genres, styles and years, what you have left is a collection that can genuinely hold its listeners' attentions without their minds turning to thoughts of the fast-forward button.

As far as negatives are concerned, I am disappointed with the lack of in-depth sleeve notes. 80s veterans taking possession of this product might have liked their memories refreshed as to who some of these artists were and perhaps where these songs charted: and a modern-day visitor to this era might have found such a thing even MORE useful. I'm also not thrilled to find Diana Ross's brilliant 'Upside Down' being cut off in the prime of life before that fabulous instrumental at the end can really get cracking. But these are minor points really.

Now that I've sussed out the relationship between this collection and its colleague from last year it strikes me that, taken together, they are shaping up to be perhaps THE definitive collection of 80s music that we are all seeking. In which case, given the almost criminal lack of anything by Bananarama on these eight discs so far, I sincerely hope someone somewhere is working on 'The 80s Part 3'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 July 2014
This review is from: The 80s, Pt. 2 (MP3 Download)
Brilliant CD, takes me right back to my youth!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2014
I love the 80s so I love this

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these, The 80s series music, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: The 80s Part 2 (Audio CD)
I love these , The 80s series music, I got the first one and this one, part 2 is even better than the first, I look forward to the next one they may bring out, if you are looking to purchase 80s music then buy this one !

5.0 out of 5 stars We have the 80s. But please bring on a 70s compilation. Way too long overdue., 27 July 2014
This review is from: The 80s Part 2 (Audio CD)
Loved most of 80s music, especially early 80s. Why don't they produce a 70s brand compilation? That time also had some absolutely amazing tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Part 1 - if not better.., 16 July 2014
This review is from: The 80s Part 2 (Audio CD)
It's a great follow-up to the first album, but with loads of hits they'd missed off first time round!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a listen, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: The 80s Part 2 (Audio CD)
Didn't know some of the songs though I am a big eighties fan. However still worth a listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to sing along to on long, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: The 80s Part 2 (Audio CD)
Took me tight back to the eighties! Great to sing along to on long journeys

5.0 out of 5 stars better than 80s part one, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: The 80s, Pt. 2 (MP3 Download)
Got this cause I have part one,this is better nothing more to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy, 8 Sep 2014
AJ Wall - See all my reviews
Best buy brings back good memories all the best of the 80's

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The 80s Part 2
The 80s Part 2 by Various (Audio CD - 2014)