Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.15

on 16 June 2014
This book sets out to show you how Hungarian PM Viktor Orbán has tiger-like qualities in destroying his opponents and sets about doing so by leading you through Hungarian political history from 1900-ish to present day. Now that may sound dry and boring but it actually isn't thanks to Fischer's great style of writing which I genuinely found hard to put down.
Having thoroughly enjoyed the book I am marking it down a star as I don't feel it dealt with what it set out to do - I don't feel I now know how Orbán is predatory in nature, I don't feel like I have any examples of him playing with an opponent before off-ing them politically, and I don't feel like his rise is inevitable or world-changing (yet). The book dealt with the issues of the oppositions to Orbán and how they helped Orbán up politically, etc - and I do now like Orbán - but that is not what the text set out to do.
If you like HHhH by Laurent Binet then you'll love this.
on 2 July 2014
You don't have to be interested in Hungary (Fischer says nobody's interested in Hungary) to find The Hungarian Tiger hugely entertaining. Publishing it as an ebook gives him the freedom to be as scathing as he likes (which is very scathing) about the sloppy, wilfully inaccurate way journalists cover politics in countries other than their own. This is not just a portrait of Hungary's hugely popular Prime Minister, Viktor Orbán, it's a laugh-out-loud history lesson that shows how change really happens. Each political phase is illustrated by a joke popular in Hungary at the time. "Capitalism is the exploitation of man by man - socialism is the opposite." I think Tibor Fischer is one of the wittiest writers ever.
on 10 September 2014
I didn't know anything about Hungary and now I know a little. This book is written in a personal style, like sitting in some coffee house drinking and talking at length with Mr Fischer. I don't think I'll ever want to go there but I feel a little happier inside now I have read this book and gained some knowledge.
on 16 June 2014
Brilliant pocket history of recent Hungarian politics, and excellent debunking of incompetent (almost all) West European and especially anglophone journalists.
On the critical side, he says very little about what policies his hero, Orban, has pursued in his country, other than win a huge elected majority and NOT get rid of corrupt politicians in his government.
On the positive side, some verbal gems, my favourite being that Britain's head of state is the result of an erection, not an election.
on 17 June 2014
This book for me was unputdownable. The most gripping political writing I have read in twenty years. Clearly Hungary is on the map.
on 26 January 2016
People are left dying in a public health care system on the brink of total collapse in Hungary, while mind-boggling private fortunes are being amassed out of public money stolen in full daylight. This is the real Hungary this shameless propaganda piece by an Orbán proxy will never let you know about.
on 22 June 2014
I don't think so. The truth is often there before us but so few seek it out and emotion or believing what we want to believe, will always prevail over logic. As the old cliche goes, never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Democracy stinks whenever it doesn't mimic our own preference.
on 4 July 2014
very funny in parts, it refers to the tiger of hungarian politics, but doesn't go into detail of how the title was earned.
but as nobody is interested in hungarian politics that doesn't matter anyway!
on 7 August 2014
Not knowing anything about Hungary's history its good. But I also find I can put it down and go back to it. Although I have not yet finished it I like it.
on 2 July 2014
An interesting topic, but this book is not very well written. The author seems to be in a hurry, but has surprisingly little to say.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse