5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah's Journey
After reading this I have to say the Greek Village Series just gets better and better.

Published 5 months ago by Rani Shergill

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit Drawn Out
I bought this book on the strength of the other reviews, having started another of this author's works (The Illegal Gardener) some time back and given up on it owing to the fact that, frankly, it lost my interest quite early on. The other reviews of this book seem overwhelmingly to be very positive and so I shelled out expecting to be suitably impressed.

Since...
Published 2 months ago by Abzorba the Greek

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah's Journey, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Handful of Pebbles (Greek Village Book 7) (Kindle Edition)

This story is about Sarah's personal journey and how her visit to a Greek Village wakes her up from what appears to be a long sleep of 26 years. She is on holiday with her husband and friends to attend to the wedding of her young son Finn. As an 18/19 year old Sarah was in love with Torin, the brother of her bestfriend. Unfortunately he dies under tragic circumstances and both Sarah and Liz marry some rich men who are much older then them, that they meet at a golf club for money and a comfortable life. For Sarah her life ends when Torin, the love of her life dies so she just sleep walks into the marriage. She carries the guilt for this decision and the fact she doesn't love her husband for 26 years even though she has two sons and her husband, Lawrence who is a bit of a control freak. It's clear she has no say in their marriage, he makes all the decisions while she is the stay at home wife who cooks and cleans and not much else.

While staying at a holiday cottage owned by Juliet waiting for her son's wedding there is an awakening resulting in her making some life changing decisions but not before alot of drama along the way. She discovers a terrible secret about her husband in connection with her past and her first love, Torin which changes the path of her life. Nicolaos the shepherd and Sarah's chance encounters with him result in some very deep conversations between the pair that helps Sarah to shape her life and hope for the future.

I loved the way the book's title 'A Handful of Pebbles' was so neatly entwined into the story. The ending and Sarah's last words had me laughing out loud. A great way to end the book albeit with a bit of a cliffhanger. i really wanted to know what happens next and hope that this is settled in the next book.

What is it about this Greek Village that results in people who come here from England and elsewhere making life changing decisions and wanting to stay on ? There appears to a growing expat community in the village - with firstly Juliet, then Michelle and now a possible third addition. I have to admit there is a mesmerising quality to Sara's writing which makes me want to go to Greece and stay there never mind the characters in this book. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit Drawn Out, 29 Sep 2014

Since I too live in Greece I can make a pretty informed judgment about the way Greece and Greek life is described and I have to say that what did annoy me here was the impression I got that the author was seizing every opportunity to effuse about how idyllic life was/is in a rural Greek environment. There was for me far too much about how wonderful everything is and it began to grate since I was more than half way through before anything really began to happen. Meanwhile I felt as though I was wading through a long drawn-out advert for life in Greece, getting the distinct impression that the author wanted her readers to appreciate how lucky she was to have a home here. Living here too, I of course agree that there are lots of nice things about the place, but this book seems to completely ignore much of the reality in favour of the hard sell. Rose-tinted specs firmly on the bridge of the nose.

When I was very definitely reaching the stage where it was more than likely that this book too would lose my interest, which was easily 60% of the way through, when not more than a couple of days had passed time-wise in the plot and very little had happened, the skeletons finally began flopping out of a few closets and it managed to keep me reading. I can't say that I was overly impressed, since even when I reached the end (which disappointed me if truth be told) I felt rather deflated that not a great deal had happened in the few days time that the plot covers. But at least a few twists did pop up and thus it managed to intrigue me enough not to discard it like the other one.

How would I rate the entire book? Hmm, a bit drawn out, rather lacking in content, a missed opportunity and a hard sell for living in Greece that really is unrealistic in my view. Would the heroine really have been so naive as to make such a judgment about her future life after just a few days in a Greek holiday cottage? I think not and thus it left me thinking the character just too unbelievable.

Yes there is a past that comes back to haunt the main characters, but it's not enough to save this book from still falling into the "not up to much" category in my view I'm afraid.

For readers looking for a really good story with a Greek connection I would recommend the novels "The View from Kleoboulos" and its follow-on "A Brief Moment of Sunshine" - both of which are set partly in Greece and partly in the UK - as books having much more depth and believability to the characters. A lot more happens and they engage the reader much more than this one and present a slightly more realistic view of life in Greece, addressing for example the issue of life here in winter time too and not offering the reader the kinds of characters that would make rash decisions about life-changing choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent writer , excellent book, 14 Jun 2014
I have finally had a wish come true, to read a Sara Alexi novel submerged in a Greek village on our favourite island Tilos. You can read this as a stand alone novel as Sara writes so cleverly, or you can read the whole series and catch up on wonderful characters from previous encounters. This story is so rich in content that you really feel for them and go on a journey with them. I am starting my own collection of pebbles ! A must read for anyone, anytime or anyplace. Well done Sara Alexi. Anne King.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this book before you go to bed..., 26 Jun 2014
..you'll not put it down and suffer sleep deprivation!
Alexi has done it yet again. Her knowledge of Greece shines through, combined with her excellent insight into human emotions, the reality of relationships and handles this in a sensitive way, with Greece and the Greek people as the backdrop.
She is a prime example of an author who has truly embraced the Greek culture and understands their nature, filoxenia and sheer humanness. Thanks Sara, for such a fantastic read. Now I must sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greek Villageseries by Sara Alexi, 24 Jun 2014
Another wonderful book by Sara Alexi in her Greek village series, once again she has transported you to a
Greek village living amongst the people and their daily lives, the ups and downs, joys and sorrows, this is another great book in her series. well done Sarah!

village series

5.0 out of 5 stars A writer who keeps getting better, 23 Jun 2014
A superb addition to the Greek Village series- Sara Alexi continues to grow as writer and her ability to draw both place and character is impressive.
Don't pick this up if you are looking for a Greek version of Toujours Provence but if you are in search of a well told story, real and rounded characters and a Greek background that is so well written you can feel the sun and smell that wonderful warm, baked earth and sea salt scent that that is unique to Greece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in the Greek Village series, 21 Jun 2014
When I read Sara's books I can picture myself in the village where they are set, so good is her description of village life. This was an emotional book, of loss and regret and of the chance to change things and make a new start. I love that we get to meet characters from the previous books in the series, but this book can also be read as a standalone. I look forward to hearing how Sarah's life develops in future books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 2 Aug 2014
I could not book this book down,was great from first page to the last,one of the great thing about sara alexi books is,how you feel like you are there in Greece with them,you can feel the sun on your face,and how I was hope that there was a happy ending,after all the unhappiness she has,wanted to go to the end to see what happened,but didn't want to stop reading it,another fantastic read,I have read all 7 of the Greek village collection,and loved every one,these book is a most read,I have never been to Greece,the books makes me want to go,and visit and met the people,if you want a book that grips you and you can't put it down then these books is for you,best read I have in a while,well done Sara Alexi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like being on holiday!, 9 Oct 2014
Having read all Sara's books in the Greek Village series, I am once again transported to the wonderful world of her characters and the beauty of the Greek Islands; it is like being on holiday, experiencing beautiful scenery and local life.
The story is about Sarah who visits the Greek island of Tilos with her husband to attend the marriage of her youngest son, Finn. Many ups and downs follows and eventually Sarah realises, after 26 years, she never loved her husband and is still affected by the death of her first love, Torin, who died in a motorbike accident when she was 18.
She loves to walk through the olive groves and mountain areas around her holiday home reliving the past and trying to solve her worries . One day she meets a shepherd who sympathises with her problems and she gets to look forward to meeting him on her walks. She learns a lot about the village and the serenity of life there and begins to wish she could stay. These meetings lead to a number of consequences involving her husband, her two sons, their partners and families.

5.0 out of 5 stars handful of pebbles, 24 Jun 2014
Loved this book! An enchanting story of a woman taking possession of her life. Was enthralled by the twists and turns; particularly at the end. Loved the way the story kept me guessing even up to the last paragraph! A must read!