5.0 out of 5 stars Best 2014 Camera (updated DEC 2014)
(UPDATED DECEMBER 2014)
So I finally got my hands on the Sony RX100 M3 permanently. Have I changed my mind about it being the BEST camera of 2014? Read on and I'll tell you.

Published 4 months ago by the lambanana

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for real photography
On the plus side I have to say that the camera feels robust and it produces good quality images. It is, however, just a point and shoot camera (read on) and, as such, it is extremely expensive. It has all sorts of settings that are available but the menus and buttons are incredibly small and, consequently, impractical for outdoor use. It has the 'wow' factor when sitting...
Published 3 months ago by Edward

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 2014 Camera (updated DEC 2014), 27 Aug 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony RX100 M3 Advanced Camera (20.1MP, 1.0 Type Sensor) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(UPDATED DECEMBER 2014)

If you're not going to read the full review this is an enthusiast's camera which has a very high spec. The sensor captures detail that you would normally only dream of. Even in low light.

RX100 M3
========
RX100 M3 is a 20 meg light camera that can fit in the palm of your hand. It's perfect for those moments when you want to capture something quick and unobtrusively. When you have a huge kit: people notice. This beauty is so small that it could be used by spies. (ok, maybe not that small, but you get the point.)
It is the most capable compact camera of this year. Actually it's the most capable camera that I've ever seen.
The older RX100 was good, if not perfect. But this has those added elements that make it better. The RX100 M3 has a built-in viewfinder that pops up and with it, the camera turns on. Pop it down and it's off.

LOOKS
=====
Small, and perfectly formed. There are no retro looks here. It could be argued, perhaps, that the RX100 looks 'too' small. I don't think it is to be fair. I think it's a bit like a tardis. I'm amazed at what they can place into such a tiny gem. The lens, sensor, viewfinder all crammed into a super, small seductress.

CHARGE
======
It charges with USB. I used to think that was a minus. However it's possible to charge it on the go with a portable charger. a powerbank (or cigarette lighter)
If need be, you can always get a spare battery or two and separate charger.

ISO
===
ISO can be as low as 80.

INTERFACE
=========
On the odd camera I've used the software is a weak point. It's like it's been designed in 1982 on a zx81.
This is intuitive.
It has three custom profiles allowing you to set the quality, iso, etc.
It does have lots of options. Sometimes, maybe, too many options?
But it's probably best to have too many options rather than too few.

FACE DETECTION
==============
Even in low light this was superb and faultless.

LARGE SENSOR
============
A good lens and a large sensor means that superb results are ALMOST guaranteed. A simple scan on Flickr of the photographs taken with this beauty really will take your breath away. We were away in Lyon for the Festival of Lights. I must have taken hundreds of photographs. Dark scenes, early morning etc. Each one was amazing.

QUICK
=====
CLICK, click, click. No lag. I was impressed. It's easy to simply have it in your pocket and it's instantly on with the click of the viewfinder.

VIDEO
=====
I know you'll be buying it for photography but the video is superb. Detailed and in the "very good camcorder category". The quality is of the level that you could make films with it. The only downside if this is your primary objective id there is no separate mic support.

BATTERY
=======
I got about 700 pics. Not bad.

IMAGES
======
They are vivid. They are clear. There's little noise and the colour reproduction is amazing. It won't disappoint.

CONS
====
Zoom could be a little quicker.
I don't think it would survive a drop on the floor.
Some have complained that when pushing the viewfinder back, this turns it off. I like that as a feature.

RECOMMENDED
===========
The RX100 M2 was a superb camera and this gem has improved on that.
In terms of the size, the quality of the photos and ease of use I can see a lot of people ditching their full camera kit in favour of this.
If you are after a small, beautiful, perfect camera then look no further.

I LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great camera the RX100 M3 is., 26 Aug 2014
Had this camera for a couple of months now having run a NEX 5N and a A700 before that. As you can see, I am downsizing each time, but from a quality point of view, it just gets better and better. The M3 is an amazing camera and to my mind, worth every penny. The quality of the stills is brilliant and the video is so far ahead of the NEX5N, it is hard to compare. Of course there are niggles, but the thing I have been most impressed by is how sturdy it is. I have dropped it twice on hard surfaces and it's performance has not been affected at all.
So the upsides:
Size - it is just small enough to fit in a back pocket but I tend to carry it around in a small Lowepro case that clips on the belt.
Controls - there are enough controls to be able to do most things without going into menus. And whilst the controls are a bit fiddly, they are perfectly usable.
Exposure - down to f1.8 is pretty amazing but even 2.8 at full zoom is excellent. And the filter that allows those to be used in bright light is also great.
Flash - an excellent addition to the 5N that is extremely effective although hardly needed.
Eyepiece - although I bought the camera primarily because of this feature, I don't use it that much. But when I do, it is invaluable.
Screen hinge - the 180 degree flip up that allows you to see the selfie you are taking makes them a doddle.
Zoom - although 24-70mm isn't a great range, the quality of the output makes large-scale cropping quite feasible, so I find the range is ideal.
Picture quality - I thought the 5N was good, but this is even better. Excellent colours, extremely sharp and good contrast.
Video quality - I have no idea how much better 4k would be, but what impresses me most with this is the image stabilisation which makes the videos seem very high quality to me.
Robust - the size of the camera took a bit of getting used to and I have dropped it a couple of time onto concrete and slabs. Despite a real sharp blow, there appears to be no effect and everything continues to work perfectly.
Low light - I have taken some excellent quality pictures at ISO3200 and combined with the f1.8, the flash almost becomes redundant.

The downsides:
Size - whilst great for portability, it did take some getting used to and I just found the camera slipping from my hands sometimes. I have got used to it now, but you have to be more careful that with something bulky.
Controls - whilst loads better that the 5N, there are still many functions that need the on-screen menu.
Wifi - still haven't got that to work and have given up.
Stills whilst videoing - haven't got this to work either.

All in all, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photographer by trade and this is now my "Go To" camera for holidays and personal shots., 9 Dec 2014
N. Cooper "Scoopz" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
I was a little sceptical about this camera but having now spent a few weeks with it I love it.

{LONG REVIEW}

I have a lot of big camera equipment (5D3, 5D2, 7D, and pretty much every Canon L-series lens with a focal length of 200mm or less, speedlights, extenders, strobes etc) but that's because photographer is my day to day business.

I used to take at least a full frame 5D and perhaps 24-70 F2.8L with me on holliday along with an entry P&S like an IXUS but I hated the results from the small sensor IXUS and loathed carrying the heavy 5D combo around when trying to enjoy a holiday but I was always afraid I'd miss a great and memorable shot with the family.

Some time in 2011 Fuji released the X10 which ticked a lot of boxes for me, compact(ish), larger than normal sensor and good manual zoom lens with viewfinder. I went on a ski holiday packing only that camera and never looked back. My bulky SLRs were banished from all future holidays. Then I added the APS-C sensor X100S to my travel kit and on a trip to NYC that was the only camera I took and the photographs (aka future memories) are amazing but the X100S is not pocketable, it's small and light and fine for walking around with a small shoulder strap but I still craved a pocketable camera. My X10 was stolen but with the insurance payout I bought the Fuji XF1, even smaller than the X10, same sensor and manual zoom but I never really fell in love with it. Yes the XF1 was tiny and IXUS sized and fits in a jeans front pocket but the lens opening was fiddly, the focussing was hit and miss and the quality was good but obviously not a patch on the X100S images I had become accostomed to.

[I know I'm going on a tangent here but I'm sure a few people considering the RX100M3 will own or had experience with the X10, X100S and XF1 so I'm just setting the scene on what I was after in a camera.]

Roll on Amazon Black Friday and the Sony A5100 with kit lens comes up so I take a punt and buy it. I loved it, APS-C sensor, flash you can bounce off ceilings, wifi, touch screen, flip screen, and so on. I used it for a week at home and around my home city and thought I'd found a winner but it was just a little too big with the kit lens. It would fit in most jacket pockets but not jeans pocket so I decided I'd rather sell it to a friend who wanted one and keep looking.

Then I spoke with somebody who had just bought an RX100M3 and raved about it and they very rarely raved about a camera. I took the plunge and bought one and I'm really glad I did. Ok so the sensor is smaller than the APS-C in the X100S and A5100 but it's still a huge sensor for this size of camera and the lens is phenomenal. F1.8 at the wide end and F2.8 at max zoom, coupled with steady image and dedicated multi-shot night time modes mean I've been able to get some low light shots of the Christmas light switch on that you would struggle to get even with a tripod mounted SLR. The tilting screen I thought would be gimmicky but it really helps get low shots with more accuracy and frame high shots with ease.

It's great to have the EVF built in too. I've been spoilt with the hybrid EFV in the X100S which is still one of thes best systems I've ever used but this little EVF on the RX100M3 is perfect for what I need. It really helps you see what you're shooting in direct sunlight and using a viewfinder generally helps me keep the camera steady too compared to arm extended screen composing.

Size - What can I say, it fits in my front and back jeans pockets, that's all I needed. It's heavy and you know it's there but it fits and it means I can take it with me almost everywhere meaning I don't miss a shot. It's a little slippy in use, there's a small thumb grip on the rear but nothing on the front so I've ordered the offical sony stick on grip for the front to eliminate that minor issue.

Technical - I'm very impressed. The 1" sensor and fast lens combo (24-70 equiv) mean you can get some great sharp shots even in low light, you can get some great shallow DOF shots if that's your cup of tea, you can get some equally great wide landscape shots too. The focusing is fast and accurate, I must admit I don't ever have a need to photograph any fast moving subjects to test out the tracking focus but in every day people, landscape, holiday photography it seems fast and accurate. I grumbled a little that at this price Sony don't give you a stand alone battery charger and you charge the battery via USB but then I realised it's perfect for me as I have a 15000 mah portable USB charger so I can simply take that on holidays and it gives me the added benefit of being able to charge the camera whilst out and about which is something you can't normally do so I always buy spare batteries for my cameras but I'll stick with just the one battery with this.

Movies - you'll have to ask somebody else for a review on this. I don't shoot movies, perhaps a shot 5 second clip on an iPhone 6 which I then never do anything with. Others praise the new video codec in this camera, I believe them that it's good, but no point in me commenting on something I know nothing about.

Surprises - WiFi connectivity. I know this isn't new or specific to the RX100M3 and in fact I had a few days playing with it on the A5100 I had but I love it. I'm used to coming back from a shoot (work or personal), taking out a memory card and downloading from CF or SD cards to my computer into lightroom for editing or straight into iPhoto if it's just general snaps. Sometimes you just want a photo to share on social media or quickly send to a family member and you don't want to have to wait until you get home, download it and then share it. Previously I'd end up taking two shots, one with the X100S and one with my iPhone 6 for instant sharing. Now I just take it with the RX100M3 and can pick and choose which ones to upload to my iPhone (at reduced size or full resolution if I want) for instant sharing/backup. Once upon a time I bought an eyefi card to do this but it was clunky and just didn't work reliably, Sony have a nice fast and streamlined system integrated into this camera which works well and also lets you use your smartphone as a remote trigger, handy for long exposure shots. Built in ND filter - I have this on the X100S and it's great for portrait shots at low aperture in bright sunlight, I forgot the RX100M3 has one too, nice bonus.

Cons - No real deal breaker cons to mention although there are a few things I wish were different. The flash could do with a little more power so I could bounce it off very high ceilings but considering tiliting the flash backwards to bounce it isn't actually listed as a feature I can't complain. Even thought the A5100 touch screen was limited in functionality, I did find tap to focus useful every now and again to quickly focus on a subject that auto-focus kept missing. There is no touch screen on the RX100M3 but I can live with that (until an M4 comes out with touch screen and envy kicks in). The camera powers off when you close the EVF, this is by design but sometimes you just want to get the EVF out the way and carry on shooting.

The low down - my XF1 has been sold and I'm even contemplating selling my X100S and just keeping this as my one and only go to camera for non-work related photography it is that good. If you are tempted by the RX100M3 but it's just a little too pricey then opt for the RX100M2. You won't get the EVF and the lens is a little slower (but longer) and screen doesn't tilt as much but it's substantially cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect compact camera, 5 Sep 2014
I love photography and my Canon 5D mk3, 7D, 6D and the Nikon D610...but not enough to take any of those with me everywhere. Heavy DSLR is not something I want take with me to the beach or for a walk with my five years old son. So I decided to get Sony RX100 m3 and wow, for a compact camera it takes absolutely superb pictures! The EVF (elecronic viewfinder) is a fantastic addition and frankly I got this camera because of that. I only shoot using VF on my DSLR so I didn't like using compacts since none had VF...until now. Of course there is more to this little camera then just VF. The IQ is fantastic and lots of customisation going on here as well. I am absolutely amazed with this little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camera review BY and FOR a `happy snapper', longing to become much more than this, 22 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was obviously delighted, absolutely, to be offered this wonderful camera to review, but on checking its credentials before accepting, and seeing the wonderful wealth of not only glowing but highly technical reviews by obviously knowledgeable photographers, I nearly decided the camera was clearly going to be way above my skill-set and beyond my capabilities.

Fortunately I noticed there were a couple of negative reviews (I always read these) the pertinent one of which has vanished, for some reason. What it said, slightly sourly, was that the camera was more or less glorified point and shoot.

Which intrigued me, as it suggested that though the camera had plenty of sophisticated options which were clearly satisfying the serious photographers, it also had the simplicity of point and shoot, meaning, surely it would be an excellent way to move beyond that state (yes, oh yes)

Many years ago I was a moderately keen photographer, possessing a big, fairly basic SLR. Primarily I wanted to take photos of things which helpfully didn't move much - landscapes, trees and the like, which would patiently be indifferent to however long it took to frame, close focus or wide angle. Unfortunately, it was remarkably heavy, and therefore remarkably unlikely to be taken on those long distance walks where the said stunning landscapes might be found.

So I stopped, and just carried a lightweight basic digital point and shoot, easily pulled out of jacket pocket

So.........what there is with this beautiful camera is of course, compact, AND the ability to do lots of different things. There is (for the moment) a fairly sophisticated point and shoot setting, which can nevertheless be customised in many different ways - but there are a multiplicity of adjustments which can be made, as skills rise and the many variables can get explored.

The lens is wonderful, and even barely scratching the surface of what this camera can do (stills or video) it is making me look like a more skilful photographer than is anywhere near the truth.

I love the electronic viewfinder, the tilting screen enabling clear setting up of shots from all sorts of angles (as well as the ubiquitous selfie), the ability to zoom in and wide-angle, and to take as much (or as little) control of set-up as suits you

Inevitably, anything which possesses the level of sophistication and thought in design which this has, WILL take time to learn (particularly for the snappers such as I am) who lack basic skills.

But what I did find was a rather wonderful guide written in plain English, by Alexander White,Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 III: Getting the Most from Sony's Pocketable Digital Camera, which is infinitely more user-friendly than the Sony instruction manual. Now, it may be annoyingly simplistic in tone for some - but it is designed for the beginner to intermediate, not for the highly photographically sophisticated (though no doubt it will be useful for anyone really wanting to explore the fine points, bells, whistles and fol-de-rols of this pretty superlative camera)

With its aid I may finally be proud of my pictures

A couple of small cavils. Given the hefty price, it might have been a reasonable add-in to have included a small SD card. The camera has no internal memory, so you can't immediately do out of the box photography without some kind of memory card, and though it does take a variety of sizes (some of which need an adaptor), My other camera's memory card is of a completely different size. Secondly, with the compact size, and the fact it is nonetheless heavier than you might normally expect a compact camera to be, I wanted to ensure this lovely thing was not going to slip out of my hand. The additional `grip' had to be bought, and might perhaps have been included in the box.

So - though it might be a fine thoroughbred race-horse whilst this rider is barely beyond seaside donkey, it is a thoroughbred race-horse of perfectly good nature and happy to coax donkey-riders along to a much better level of equestrian skill, given time, and that jolly instruction manual

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally found the perfect camera, for now!, 29 July 2014
I love this camera! I've been attempting to find the perfect portable camera that I can carry around everywhere, takes snapshots quickly, but with great quality, without impacting photo quality for some time. My purchase history in trying to find this has been:

Nikon D3000, Nikon D7000, Fuji X100, Sony NEX 5N, Sony NEX 5T, Fuji X20, Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji X-E1, and most recently the Fuji X-M1.

And finally, I think I've found the perfect combination!! I'm going to use this most of the time when with the kids, on days out, etc, and have the X-E1 for when I'm inside, and want to take a more static picture where I have the time to compose, etc.

Most of the pictures I've taken with this camera are comparable to all of the cameras listed above, and I've certainly had more "keepers", than with any of the above. Not sure why, think the auto settings help a lot, and suit my style of photography when I'm out and about, i.e. see a photo opportunity, whip the camera out, snap, and put it back.

I know the Fuji takes excellent pictures, and I'm not going to get rid of the Fuji X-E1, just yet, but I think it's use is going to be reduced drastically.

The viewfinder is a really helpful addition, and very neatly implemented.

The only thing missing, as per every review I've read is a touch screen, but perhaps they're saving that for version 4!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use yet flexible with good low light, 2 Aug 2014
I have big Canon DSLR, I have compact IXUS P&S, but the quality and versatility of the DSLR was out weighed for normal carry around functions because of the size, lens, speedlite etc... So comes a hunt for a pocket sized compact that could go to dinner & take photos, video and edit on premier or photoshot post, easy to use yet flexible with good low light.

RX1000M3, not perfect but if it was a woman you'd marry her because it's so easy to live with. Night shooting excellent, pulling light from low level dinner tables & out door night time scenes, day shooting with vibrance & detail, low noise, high contrast. Video rivalling high end camcorders with flexible manual & automatic controls, programmable buttons with 3 memories for pre-sets and a host of gadgets like ND filter, Back-light, oled EVF, NFC, WiFi and flippable LCD main screen for selfies, make this thing a near perfect Picture & video camera. I got a 'GGS Larmor Glass Screen Protector' , Sony case, couple of SDXC cards & a spare battery & USB charger aswell.

I transfer photos & video via NFC to my Galaxy Note III & share onto Facebook directly, from Camera or via phone.

The main downside so far was the £700 UK price tag, wow....but good things are never cheap....

4.0 out of 5 stars An awesome camera, but think if you need the Mark 1 or 3, 21 Dec 2014
Michael J. Davies "Creosote" (England) - See all my reviews
Let's make no mistake, if you are looking for a small, easily pocketable, take everywhere camera, that does just about everything, and does it really well, then the Sony RX100 is the one to go for. No other manufacturer comes close. The image quality is truly superb.

The RX100 are built solidly, easy to use, and can be as simple or complex as you wish. Stick it on full auto and it will produce magnificent images. Start using some of its extra facilities, like the ND filter, zebra, and focus peaking and you can take images that will stand up to scrutiny in a show.

The new viewfinder works very well, seems tiny but there is no shimmering, no lag and has the dioptre adjustment so you can adjust it to your eyesight.

We had the Mark 1 for several months and loved it, but the drawback for us was the lack of a viewfinder. Thats ok for a few snaps now and then but for a days photography it just becomes wearing to compose and a little hit and miss. So we upgraded to this Mark 3 model with the viewfinder, tilting screen and wider angle lens. Its absolutely brilliant, with one glitch, the lens closure blades keep sticking, so if they dont free up we will have to return it for a replacement.

The thing you should ask yourself is do you want/need the Mark 1 or Mark 3. At the time of writing this the M1 is a bit over £300 and the M3 a bit over £600, effectively double in price, yet ostensibly the same camera. Ignore the M2 as it is a waste of time, more expensive than the M1 and has a flippy screen (nice) and a hot shoe which you will never use.
My advice is if you want a terrific point and shoot camera you can even fit into a jeans pocket go for the M1, at just over £300 its one of the few bargains in the camera world.
If you really do want/need the viewfinder then go for the M3, the flippy screen and wider angle lens on the M3 are bonuses, its the viewfinder you are paying for really. Is that worth an extra £300? For us it is, but I urge you to think seriously about it.

I like Sony cameras. They do have their quirks, but they are leading the way. I use a Sony RX10 and a Leica, yet if I only had the RX100 M3, I wouldnt be inhibited really, in fact it often goes through my mind to sell the others and just use the RX100.

The Sony RX100 is a 5 star product but I have no choice than to reduce it a star due to the sticking lens cover blades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket full of power, 24 Nov 2014
The RX100 M3 is a deceptively small compact camera packing a strong image a punch. The large image sensor gives you fantasic sharp images and the low light capabilities of this camera are quite simply the best I have ever seen. The camera has a pop-up flash but I've yet to use it! On top of the camera is the shooting dial where you can pick from choices like scene selection, auto, intelligent auto, various manual settings, sweep panorama and movie. Within the manual functions are the picture effect choice features like single colour picking, Toy Camera, Retro, Black and White etc... so great for being a little creative when shooting especially if you can't be bothered editing photos once taken. Other functions include a pop up viewfinder which I know some people find an essential element for a serious camera ( have to admit I am so used to using the large screens on the back you get nowadays I generally don't use anything else ). The rear screen on this camera tilts and flips so even the popular selfie can be taken with the screen flipped up so you know all your subjects are in the frame.
The camera also has WiFi and NFC - The NFC is dead easy to use - just tap your phone with an image displayed on your camera and it transfers straight over (assuming your phone also has NFC ) - so easy you think you've done something wrong.
All in all a great little compact camera that can be carried easily and takes fantastic pictures that previously you would have needed a bulky DSLR for.
Drawbacks if any and we're getting picky now - would be remembering where all the functions are and using them - probably more down to the user in this case!
Would recommend to anyone wanting a more compact option to their DSLR or upping their game from a standard point and shoot compact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my best ever purchase...., 22 Sep 2014
In the 15 or so years that I have been purchasing over the internet I have never felt obliged to write a review of anything. However, this camera has changed that. It may well be the best single item I have ever bought and I feel compelled to write down how good it is.

Having previously owned an SLR I decided it was time to update. I decided to go for a small top of the range camera on the grounds that I found I was not using the SLR enough because it was too much hassle carrying it around while the camera on my smartphone is just not good enough to rely on. I toyed with the similar Canon small camera that came out in the early summer (having previously owned Canon SLRs). However, I heard about the Sony mark III version of the RX 100 was due to be released so decided to wait.

The wait was worth it - the picture quality is spectacular - I show the pictures on a 42 inch Sony TV and they look amazing. Movies work well also. It is exceptionally easy to use, with good intuitive settings. Plus it can fit very easily in a pocket or in a bag.

Yes, there are a few minor niggles that others have referred to. The fact that the camera switches off when the viewfinders is put away is a little annoying and I have not really got the wifi to work properly (I stick to old wire connectivity which is fine for my purposes).

Overall, it is a wonderful camera. The combination of size, quality of picture and ease of use makes it the ideal piece of equipment to capture the moment in a way that no other camera I have ever owned does.