Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 31 December 2014
I don't read historical fiction, let me make that clear from the off. It's like museums, for me. I know all that old business exists, I'm not interested in knowing any more than that. I do read Keith Nixon, however. I find the minimalist writing style of his crime books fascinating and extremely skillful. So when I was presented with the knowledge that he'd ventured out of what I was used to, I was intrigued to say the least, and more than a little impressed with the result.

It's a very well researched and delivered delve into an unrecognisable Britain, filled to the brim with peasants and lords, savages and druids, all battling for prominence in a country threatened by an impending attack by a Roman leader with something to prove. For me, as a virgin to the genre, I found it to be extremely well written, with all the back stabbing, ladder climbing (I don't recall anybody climbing any actual ladders, I'm talking about the ladder of power) and violence that you could ask for. Highly recommended.
on 22 August 2014
This is his best work to date. Historically accurate, believable, engaging and enlightening. The attention to detail in the creation of the characters and environment is comparable to Patrick O'Brian.

You are drawn in by the characters to a land that is both familiar and foreign, and when returning to reality you are left with a sense of wonder that what you have read could be an entirely plausible historical account.

Book 2 please Mr Nixon...
on 27 July 2014
Wow - action packed from start to end. I enjoyed every minute of it – really interesting, informative , great characters and I loved the social impact of the invasion. You are so clever – thank you for all your research and putting this into such an easy read – your word-craft is brilliant – so few words to conjure up atmosphere and scenes that linger in my memory - look forward to the next instalment!
on 25 July 2015
This book is a fast paced, epic war story and boy did I enjoy it.

First of there is a lot of information in this book but Keith very handily added a section at the beginning of the book to explain the names used within the book since place names have changed over the years along with rivers etc. This was not only useful so I could set the scene but it was also very interesting information

We find ourselves thrust into time when Rome was planning to invade Britain and the author decided to tell his tale from both the Roman and the Britons view point. This gave a great feel to the book and broke up the action perfectly so you kept reading without even noticing the time pass.

Keith has picked a very interesting subject for the book and built on this story with the characters. There are a few I liked a lot.. Fionn & Etain stood out for me. The action with Fionn had me hooked!

There are a large number of characters in this book; Because of this some don’t get a chance to develop. Once you read the book you can totally understand why though as there so much going on in the book it would be too much to squeeze in and also the story is so strong and violent it’s inevitable some of these characters will die

The author goes into some great detail describing the warfare tactics and clearly has researched well.

I felt the story easily pulled me in and I even found myself shouting in my head “Move, Move” when it came to clashes between the two armies.

One of the most interesting parts of this book for me was the relationships between the tribes in Britain at the time. I won’t spoil the book for you but these relationships coupled with the unified force of the Romans made for an epic tale

From reading the authors historical notes he gives a great insight into some of the characters and the time period and it’s definitely peaked my interest and made me want to read up on this time period.

I’m very pleased to see there is a follow up book and I’m looking forward to reading/reviewing that soon

Conclusion… Do I think this book is worth the 99p asking price currently on Amazon? Hell yes!

If you enjoy tales involving warfare, blood, guts, tension, betrayal then you will certainly like this book
on 25 June 2014
Keith Nixon moves away from his usual crime genre to historical fiction in The Eagle's Shadow & does it, might I say, in style.
Against the backdrop of the Roman invasion of Britain is set a tale of murder, betrayal & intrigue. You'd think the British would be united against the Romans, but not so. Caradoc (a real person in history) has to fight not only enemies without, but enemies within.
There are enough sweeping battle scenes to keep those with a military interest engaged and plenty of historical fact is peppered throughout the narrative without being distracting or a lecture. The pace is fast & there's a great range of characters too. Look forward to the 2nd in the series.
The Eagle's Shadow will appeal to anyone with an interest in Roman or ancient British history.
on 21 August 2014
Was life really that tough 2 millennia ago here in Britain? Yes it almost certainly was and Keith Nixon has done a fine job to weave several sub plots into this at times brutal Roman invasion thriller. I enjoyed The Eagle's Shadow immensely.
on 29 April 2015
It is good to see a novel with the backdrop of the AD43 invasion from the viewpoint of the native Britons, and Keith Nixon makes a decent fist of setting out the disparate pieces of groundwork that made the Roman bridgehead possible. The tribal in-fighting, family in-fighting, as well as intertribal feuding, all played their part, as did direct betrayal for short-sighted personal gain. However, it became a novel of much more depth when the viewpoint of the Roman contingent began to be threaded through the story, bringing with it their own personal stories, motivations and political machinations.

The author is superb at conveying battle scenes, from single combat to hit and run skirmishes, to the horror and confusion of being caught in the middle of a flexing battle-line melee. I did feel as if I were there, and I couldn’t stop reading. An excellent introduction to a series.
on 15 July 2014
Not many writers are brave enough to step outside of their comfort zone when they’ve performed so solidly in one genre already. Fewer still do so as successfully as Keith Nixon has with The Eagle’s Shadow. Keith’s main attributes as a writer, punchy dialogue, keen humour and the ability to so consistently develop a compelling narrative, transfer magnificently to this very different piece from the author of The Fix.
Creating a cast of compelling characters and plucking and pulling at elements of their lives and destinies, Keith gives us a master-class in multi-layered storytelling and exceptional characterisation; no mean feat. Considering that he’s crafted this magnificently engaging story in a historical setting so long gone and mostly forgotten, the coherence and pace of the novel is incredibly skilful and clearly the result of some very hard earned knowledge in the research of the times and places.
Keith has used the setting effectively and effortlessly to put his characters through the wringer and propel them on a very modern-feeling journey but The Eagle’s Shadow is the perfect blend of historical accuracy and modern pace and succeeds in completely immersing the reader in ancient times.

With The Eagle’s Shadow, Keith Nixon shows us why he’s amongst the very best of a new breed of British authors who refuse to play by the old rules and instead prolifically produce engaging, quality works that excite, entertain and challenge the reader. I can’t recommend this novel highly enough.
on 30 November 2014
Britain at the time of the Claudius Roman invasion brought to life in this easy to believe story. Good range of characters and the story from both sides leaves you wanting to know what happens next.
on 24 June 2014
Keith Nixon has done it again, albeit with a different period and genre. A cracking story with totally believable interwoven characters all backed with considerable research. Roll on the sequell !