4.0 out of 5 stars Works reasonably well in my case.
Like others, I had several dead zones around my house that would not receive the wifi signal from my router, which is the latest BT model. This device has largely cured the problem. Mine is the TL-WA850RE bought through Amazon a few weeks ago, which is the previous model though I'm not sure there's much difference.

Previously my iPad or iPhone would not receive...
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, once up and running!
Published 6 months ago by Miss L McAusland

4.0 out of 5 stars Works reasonably well in my case., 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WA854RE 300 Mbps Universal Wall Plug Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration) (Personal Computers)

Previously my iPad or iPhone would not receive wifi in the living room or other parts of the downstairs and parts of the upstairs and now it does. Similarly our TV in the living room is now able to receive the wifi signal.

Setting up was dead easy, just follow the instructions, which is greatly assisted by it using the same security code as the router itself and using the WPS push button method. There is a more complex alternative set up using your computer, should you not be able to use the WPS method for some reason.

It has to be plugged into a mains socket and you then lose the use of that socket. Perhaps it would be improved by having a pass through socket built into it, leaving it still available to plug in other things. But then again that possibly might mess with its signal in some undesirable way.

Update April 2015: I understand that the latest model does have a pass through socket.

However one difficulty in my case is that the unit is supposed to be placed somewhere roughly half way between the router and the receiving devices so that at least three blue lights show on its signal strength indicator. I couldn't find such a location in my house. The best I could do was two lights so not ideal though it still works fairly well but a couple of very weak spots in the house remain. It is though a largish house.

It seems to me that successful use depends on at least three facts. The location of the router, the structural design of your property and the available location of the mains sockets.

There's not always a lot you can do about the location of the router because it has to be close to the phone socket into which it is plugged. Mine is not in an ideal place being at the side of the house rather than a central position. I guess the phone socket could be moved at some expense but having recently completed an expensive major refurbishment programme we don't feel like undertaking the disruptive work. Similarly you can't easily do much about your property layout and the materials of its construction.

Mains sockets again can't easily be changed and I tried several before I found the best, but not ideal, position for the TP Link. What you possibly could do if like me you don't have one in an ideal spot is to plug an extension lead into a socket and then the unit into that so as to find a more effective location. But that may not be the perfect answer either because it could be unsightly if the extension is visibly trailing around or even a little risky if it's where people could trip over it.

One peculiar problem was with my wifi printer. This is in the same room as the router so very close to it and usually no trouble getting a signal. On one occasion, not long after I'd installed the TP Link unit, the printer decided to try and pick up the weaker signal from the TP, which was in another part of the house and therefore distant from it, instead of the strong signal direct from the router which is almost beside. it. This presence of two signals confused the poor thing which gave up and it lost all wifi signal so wouldn't print from my desktop computer, also in the same room.

I had to reinput the wifi security code, give it a good bash, always the best way to handle machinery I find, and since then no further problem.

Summing up, a very good piece of kit. Mine has been running for several weeks now without fail and has greatly extended the ability to use wifi devices like iPads, iPhones, TV in the building. I can't know how long it might last but thus far I recommend it highly.

Do note though that the quality of its signal does depend on the three points I mention above which will vary between users, not the unit's fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the bedroom, 31 Aug. 2014
My wife and I are a couple of sad old people who like to lie in bed playing with our IPad and Galaxy Note. Unfortunately we have been constantly frustrated by the lack of a good wi-fi signal. Last week I purchased the TP-link range extender. It took a couple of minute to set up with no problems at all. I plugged it into a socket on the landing outside the bedroom door and hey presto problem solved, We two septogenarians can now play with our toys to our hears content.

5.0 out of 5 stars performed well and represented good value. Unsurprisingly the same applies to this model, 12 Aug. 2014
Jeremy Ritchie (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
At the time I bought this it had just replaced an earlier model so there were no reviews available. However, reviews of the model it replaced were predominantly positive, stating that it was simple to set up, performed well and represented good value.
Unsurprisingly the same applies to this model. The set-up instructions are clear and the process is extremely simple.
Once the Range Extender has been synchronised with the router it can be relocated to where it is needed and simply plugged into a standard mains socket to provide the power needed to rebroadcast the Wi-Fi signal. In our case this was downstairs, diametrically opposite the router location in order to improve coverage at the rear of the house and into the back garden where connectivity has been patchy and intermittent.
The device has a group of LEDs that show the received signal strength from the router to assist in locating it for best effect. We found that the received signal was fine after passing through a floor and two brick walls (although this is as much down to the quality and strength of signal from the router as it is to the capability of Extender itself).
Wi-Fi coverage downstairs is greatly improved and we have yet to experience any 'drop-outs' in internet connectivity since installing the Extender.
Just one minor word of caution when choosing a location for the Extender. The LEDs on the front of the device are very bright and there are several of them to indicate various functions and performance. So it is best to keep it out of line of sight where people are sleeping (or trying to!). Alternatively you could just turn off the power at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy. It really works., 14 Aug. 2014
Set this up yesterday. Two button presses. It took 1 min to connect to the router. Took it upstairs, (3rd floor, where the WiFi was awful) plugged it into a socket out of the way in the corner - I now have five full bars on every device. Perfect.
I'd advise switching the router off and leaving it off for 1 min, then switch it back on and wait another minute before attempting to pair the devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what was needed., 12 Sept. 2014
Bought a new smart TV and the room it is in suffered from a poor wifi reception so signal for TV kept dropping out. Have had this now for 3 days and I now have full signal. Placed it about halfway between router and TV. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, once up and running!, 8 Nov. 2014
Once it we finally made it work the signal is great and really amplifies the wireless signal - allows my dad to take the digital radio to the vegetable plot now (150 feet from router). HOWEVER as we had the BT router the installation was far from easy and took about two hours of faffing around. We found the key was to turn off the router, the computer and the booster, turn on the router and the computer then, once up and running, plug in the booster to the ethernet cable to the computer and switch off the computers wireless capabilities. We then had an 'authentication' bubble appear from the taskbar and, once double clicked, we entered the username and password given in the instructions - using the web-address in a browser got us nowhere. Also, do not use google chrome as your default web browser for this process - set up explorer. You can always revert back to chrome after you get the thing up and running! Hope this is useful to others, happy browsing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, 30 Jan. 2015
As a bit of a gadget geek i do like to try things out. This is a great wifi extender and i use mine to extend wifi to my garage at the bottom of my garden for my Sonos system. Thats about 30m - remember that angle of signal and wall type;thickness and number between source and target have an effect on range. The through socket is great too for those of us with not many sockets

5.0 out of 5 stars TP Link, 29 April 2015
Brian - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Home WiFi has come a long way since the good old days of 2mb's per second - dial up! The range still leaves a lot to be desired though, and this is where TP Link comes in, allowing you to extend the power of your router. You can position it anywhere that there's a plug socket handy, and TP Link will relay your WiFi signal into parts of your home that it couldn't previously reach, or where it only showed a weak signal. In our house the signal fades in the kitchen, so this is our ideal plugging place. You can attach your gadgets to the TO Link plug with an ethernet cable too , if they don't support wifi. Hear Spotify in places you thought you couldn't. Recommended for all who live in big houses...happy linking :).

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact device RE210 AC750, 30 April 2015
Sue H "Sunshine Suzzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is for the AC750 RE210 wifi range extender. At the time of writing Amazon are showing 4 different but similar products with reviews all under the same heading so please check the review matches the product you are interested in.

Box contents
=========
In the box is one wifi range extender, some brief pictorial but comprehensive instructions in English, and a short network LAN style cable which can be used to plug directly into the extender for use with a pc, game console or smart TV in addition to the wifi extension.

Home arrangements
===============
I've used several range finders and extenders with some success. This is the first wall socket mounted device we have tried which covers both 2.5 and 5GHz frequencies. Our house has some thick walls, and is an odd l shape. The BT home hub 5 which currently delivers their infinity high speed service has to be positioned close to the socket where the phone line comes into the house. This is the worst possible place for wifi tucked in a corner of the lounge.

Extender set up
===========
The set up is simple if you have a router where you can press a WPS button and have it simply pair with the RE210. It's suggested to initially perform this pairing close to router. This is as the extender needs a good signal to detect the router and also so that you're close to the extender to press the button on the device once the WPS is pressed on the router. This step worked well the devices were paired in several minutes, although it only picked up the 2.4GHz network and not the 5GHz. You are then supposed to be able to unplug the extender and move it further from the router to the place you want it to reside. This didn't happen despite leaving the paired device in its original position for a couple of hours. So I found I had to position the extender in its desired position and sprint up the stairs to press the appropriate buttons.......

The extender has 4 small lights on the front, great that these are tiny as it does not look like year round Christmas, but also hard as they are not very luminescent and in bright sunlight, one had to crouch next to the device to see what was lit. One light indicates the power is on, another the signal strength. This is helpful as its green if the signal is strong, amber if it is too strong (?) and red if it is too weak. The other 2 lights indicate 2.4 and 5GHz network.

Product evaluation
=============
So to get a good signal we have a different manufacturer extender (larger unit) on a long cable set up in the hall, and then the TP device on the landing. This works well as we can spare a socket here and it does not get in the way, the signal seems strong and as stable as the router produces. We set the main network up with names for both the 2.4 and 5GHz systems and the TP link product has a slightly different name so it was be seen that the signal is stronger. Some devices use only the existing network names then it hard to tell if the signal is poor which part of network is not working. When I first connected a device (tablet) I had to input the router password. It's nuisance that the 5GHz is not detected even next to the router. Tablets and phones see the 5GHz network at the extremes of the property but the signal is very low, so it cant be explained by the extender not seeing any signal. It could be that this part can be resolved up using the web browser method of device set up, but this has not been tried at the time of review.

If the signal is not strong enough where you need it you could consider 2 of these products to relay it. Or consider a different style product which have 2 plugs one which has to go in a main socket close to the router, and which then uses the electricity cable network to get the signal to the second plug socket which then produces a wifi signal where you need it.

Over all however recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but a little tempremental, 29 April 2015
Tim (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this WiFi range extender fairly easy to set up, although I imagine it could be a bit tricky if one isn't familiar with some of the relevant terminology (SSID, channel numbers, WPA, WPS, etc.). The ability to connect to the device wirelessly in order to configure it is useful (I've had similar products in the past that needed a wired Ethernet connection in order to carry out the initial configuration).

Once connected to my 2.4GHz WiFi network, it quickly set up its own extension network. I was a bit surprised to see that it decided to occupy two adjacent channels (40MHz width), when I had deliberately set my router to use just a single channel (20MHz wide), because of interference from neighbours.

My Windows 8.1 laptop sometimes takes a few attempts to connect to the new network (which I've currently given a different SSID name from my router, so that I can select which to join). But once it is connected, data flows as expected.

The reason I've only awarded it four stars, is that I've sometimes found the connection through this extender to be noticeably slower than when connecting directly to the router even when all three are in the same room as each other (within a couple of metres). I normally get a fairly stable 7Mbps download speed over my broadband connection, via my WiFi router's network, but when connecting to the Internet via this extender, speeds have sometimes plummeted to around 4Mbps. Given that this extender is supposed to support 300Mbps, a throughput of only 4Mbps is extremely poor. However, on other occasions, the extender doesn't create any bottleneck.