4.0 out of 5 stars Works reasonably well in my case.
Like others, I had several dead zones around my house that would not receive the wifi signal from my router, which is the latest BT model. This device has largely cured the problem. Mine is the TL-WA850RE bought through Amazon a few weeks ago, which is the previous model though I'm not sure there's much difference.

Previously my iPad or iPhone would not receive...
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed!
Published 1 month ago by Grizelda Wizzle

4.0 out of 5 stars Works reasonably well in my case., 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WA854RE 300 Mbps Universal Wall Plug Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration) (Personal Computers)

Previously my iPad or iPhone would not receive wifi in the living room or other parts of the downstairs and parts of the upstairs and now it does. Similarly our TV in the living room is now able to receive the wifi signal.

Setting up was dead easy, just follow the instructions, which is greatly assisted by it using the same security code as the router itself and using the WPS push button method. There is a more complex alternative set up using your computer, should you not be able to use the WPS method for some reason.

It has to be plugged into a mains socket and you then lose the use of that socket. Perhaps it would be improved by having a pass through socket built into it, leaving it still available to plug in other things. But then again that possibly might mess with its signal in some undesirable way.

However one difficulty in my case is that the unit is supposed to be placed somewhere roughly half way between the router and the receiving devices so that at least three blue lights show on its signal strength indicator. I couldn't find such a location in my house. The best I could do was two lights so not ideal though it still works fairly well but a couple of very weak spots in the house remain. It is though a largish house.

It seems to me that successful use depends on at least three facts. The location of the router, the structural design of your property and the available location of the mains sockets.

There's not always a lot you can do about the location of the router because it has to be close to the phone socket into which it is plugged. Mine is not in an ideal place being at the side of the house rather than a central position. I guess the phone socket could be moved at some expense but having recently completed an expensive major refurbishment programme we don't feel like undertaking the disruptive work. Similarly you can't easily do much about your property layout and the materials of its construction.

Mains sockets again can't easily be changed and I tried several before I found the best, but not ideal, position for the TP Link. What you possibly could do if like me you don't have one in an ideal spot is to plug an extension lead into a socket and then the unit into that so as to find a more effective location. But that may not be the perfect answer either because it could be unsightly if the extension is visibly trailing around or even a little risky if it's where people could trip over it.

One peculiar problem was with my wifi printer. This is in the same room as the router so very close to it and usually no trouble getting a signal. On one occasion, not long after I'd installed the TP Link unit, the printer decided to try and pick up the weaker signal from the TP, which was in another part of the house and therefore distant from it, instead of the strong signal direct from the router which is almost beside. it. This presence of two signals confused the poor thing which gave up and it lost all wifi signal so wouldn't print from my desktop computer, also in the same room.

I had to reinput the wifi security code, give it a good bash, always the best way to handle machinery I find, and since then no further problem.

Summing up, a very good piece of kit. Mine has been running for several weeks now without fail and has greatly extended the ability to use wifi devices like iPads, iPhones, TV in the building. I can't know how long it might last but thus far I recommend it highly.

Do note though that the quality of its signal does depend on the three points I mention above which will vary between users, not the unit's fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the bedroom, 31 Aug. 2014
My wife and I are a couple of sad old people who like to lie in bed playing with our IPad and Galaxy Note. Unfortunately we have been constantly frustrated by the lack of a good wi-fi signal. Last week I purchased the TP-link range extender. It took a couple of minute to set up with no problems at all. I plugged it into a socket on the landing outside the bedroom door and hey presto problem solved, We two septogenarians can now play with our toys to our hears content.

5.0 out of 5 stars performed well and represented good value. Unsurprisingly the same applies to this model, 12 Aug. 2014
Jeremy Ritchie (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
At the time I bought this it had just replaced an earlier model so there were no reviews available. However, reviews of the model it replaced were predominantly positive, stating that it was simple to set up, performed well and represented good value.
Unsurprisingly the same applies to this model. The set-up instructions are clear and the process is extremely simple.
Once the Range Extender has been synchronised with the router it can be relocated to where it is needed and simply plugged into a standard mains socket to provide the power needed to rebroadcast the Wi-Fi signal. In our case this was downstairs, diametrically opposite the router location in order to improve coverage at the rear of the house and into the back garden where connectivity has been patchy and intermittent.
The device has a group of LEDs that show the received signal strength from the router to assist in locating it for best effect. We found that the received signal was fine after passing through a floor and two brick walls (although this is as much down to the quality and strength of signal from the router as it is to the capability of Extender itself).
Wi-Fi coverage downstairs is greatly improved and we have yet to experience any 'drop-outs' in internet connectivity since installing the Extender.
Just one minor word of caution when choosing a location for the Extender. The LEDs on the front of the device are very bright and there are several of them to indicate various functions and performance. So it is best to keep it out of line of sight where people are sleeping (or trying to!). Alternatively you could just turn off the power at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy. It really works., 14 Aug. 2014
Set this up yesterday. Two button presses. It took 1 min to connect to the router. Took it upstairs, (3rd floor, where the WiFi was awful) plugged it into a socket out of the way in the corner - I now have five full bars on every device. Perfect.
I'd advise switching the router off and leaving it off for 1 min, then switch it back on and wait another minute before attempting to pair the devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what was needed., 12 Sept. 2014
Bought a new smart TV and the room it is in suffered from a poor wifi reception so signal for TV kept dropping out. Have had this now for 3 days and I now have full signal. Placed it about halfway between router and TV. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed!, 1 Feb. 2015
I bought this to improve wi-fi at the front of our house - router etc all located at the back. Plugged in as instructed and within a few minutes it had a good signal. Unplugged and moved it - and that was the start of two hours of frustration trying to get it to work. Put it back into original position, reset as instructed and .....it couldn't find the router. Unable to log onto via the browser to set up. Used help pages etc. Unsure if the item is faulty but reading through reviews on amazon.com it appears this is a bit hit and miss. Thank goodness for Amazon's great returns policy - it's already refunded and on its way to the post office in the morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product, 24 Sept. 2014
I bought this after i returned the BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power Adapter Kit and trust me this extender is the best. The setup is very easy and took no more than 5 mins. I have a Virgin Media Super Hub 2 with 2 bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) and while setup TP link used the same SSID and password so i now have only 2 SSID's to select from rather than 4 SSID's and the speed it gives is also fantastic. I would definitely recommend this product to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, 7 Oct. 2014
I went with this despite some poor reviews. My daughter now gets all 5 bars on the wifi in her room ( was 2 to 3 at best ), and at last I don't get moaned at that everyone else has good wifi except her. Was simple to set up and worked straight away, placed it on the upstairs landing. Can't understand how people could say it is confusing to set up. Went with the advice to match the brand of extender to the (TP-Link) router so perhaps that helped.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 29 Aug. 2014
Okay - I'll start by saying that this review is for the RE200 AC750 dual band range extender - for some reason Amazon have lumped all the reviews for a few similar TP-Link range extenders into the pot here, which can be a little confusing.

I'm a big TP-Link fan - I've had a couple of their ADSL routers, and the latest (dual band TDW8980) is great. I've also had one of their earlier range extenders (WA830RE) which has worked brilliantly for us. But I wanted a range extender that would take advantage of the router's 2.4GHz & 5GHz connections - hence the decision to buy the RE200.

First impressions - it's small and neat - aesthetically much nicer than the WA830RE it replaced. No external aerials to fit and angle appropriately - and although this makes it more pleasing to the eye (and therefore acceptable to my other half), I fear that's ultimately its downfall when it comes to performance. The signal strength on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections is not as good or consistent as the 2.4GHz wireless connection we were getting from its predecessor ( sited in exactly the same location). The connection rises and falls from full strength to one bar frequently and for no obvious reason. So I am rather disappointed, though if we hadn't had the previous range extender to compare it to, I suspect my disappointment wouldn't have been quite so great.

On the plus side, it's a doddle to set up and it's never actually lost the connection - it's just frustratingly variable.

3.0 out of 5 stars May work, may not, 30 Oct. 2014
D. E. Cox "Dave" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
I can't really rate this item as it didn't work in the location I wanted it to, so was unable to say if it is serviceable or not. So I looked at Kikatech's return policy and it does not comply with UK distant selling law, so please read before purchasing from them, it isn't the same as Amazon which does comply. As I didn't feel like an ongoing battle with them to try and get my money back, will try and dispose of it another way. Sad that companies can still have illegal returns policy in this day and age.