5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational! My favourite album of 2014
I have been a big fan of Lana since her release of 'Born to Die' in 2012, and when it was re-released as a 'Paradise Edition' later in the same year, I became to be in awe of this woman.

I was afraid that Ultraviolence wasn't going to live up to the cinematic and authentic feel of 'Born to Die', but I'm glad to say that Lana outdid herself with this album. It's...
Published 2 months ago by Sean Laycock

2.0 out of 5 stars So Disappointing
I wish I had previewed before buying, but Born to Die was so good I honestly thought this would be too. Firstly there are no stand out tracks on this album at all. West Coast and F*****d My Way Up To The Top are ok but nothing special. Many of the songs sound exactly the same, and after a week of listening many times hoping it was just one of those slow grow albums, I'm...
Published 8 months ago by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So good to hear music for grown ups, 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
I bought this after hearing 'Brooklyn Baby' on the radio and I'm so glad I did....my album of last year was 'Turn Blue' by the Black Keys and this comes a close 2nd. I had no idea Dan Auerbach was a key part of this album before buying it, but his input is unmistakable . Beautiful grown up music, difficult but totally human, an album for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards repeat listenings, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Ultraviolence is the kind of album where its brilliance creeps up on you. Being a big fan Lana's previous album, Born to Die, this follow up was slightly disappointing on first listen. Everything seemed to be at the same pace and nothing stood out. That was my feeling after the first few listens. Within the next few listens each song started to differentiate itself and take on character. And then after that I started to fall in love with each song individually and the thing as a whole.

It's quite a sparse, minimalistic album, but all the better for it. It forces you to focus on Lana's dreamy voice and unique lyrics. But then every time I listen to it, I find something new in the music that I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if I've got a favourite song from it, but if I had to pick one I'd go with Brooklyn Baby:

"Well my boyfriend's in the band
He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed
I've got feathers in my hair
I get down to Beat poetry
And my jazz collection's raw
I can play most anything
I'm a Brooklyn baby, I'm a Brooklyn baby"

I'm not usually the kind of person who gets 'lost' in music or films, but the lyrics like the ones above feel so evocative, especially the way she sings them. Listen to the rawness in her voice when she sings that chorus for the last time.

I hope I'm not overstating how good it is, but if you find yourself listening to the album and not understanding what all the positive reviews on here are talking about, I'd advise giving it a few more goes to let its slow, otherworldly magic work on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Into the darkness, 20 Jun. 2014
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Loved the first album and enjoyed this one. It's much darker with haunting lyrics and echoing vocals and needs proper listening to, not reallu suited to background or car listening.
It feels like an extension to the first album but misses out (in my humble opinion) on any stand-out tracks in the vein of Born to Die. Having said that, there is no doubt she is an immense talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Utterly Beautiful, 20 Jun. 2014
robotfish "robotfish" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
As much as I loved Video Games (the song) I always felt the Born To Die album was pitched a bit too far in the girly RnB/Trip Hop direction. It had some killer choruses, but I had to fight the urge to skip the more poppy bits.

This album is a different beast altogether. The backing tracks are moody swathes of strings and fuzzy guitars full of reverb & echo with relatively subdued drumming. The pace rarely varies away from glacial but for this type of album it is perfect: it can be listened to in its entirety without anything jarring. However it does startle with remarkable frequency. The tunes are beautiful, and the singing is spot on.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 22 Oct. 2014
S. Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Not as good as her previous album, but still reasonable. She can't really win after Born to Die; either it is too similar or too different. In this case probably too different and not quite as interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad is happy for Deep People, 15 July 2014
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
There's a bit of a clue in the album title and track listing of what to expect here and it doesn't disappoint. Fans of Born to Die will lap this up but be steered down a sultrier and darker path by the femme fatale that is Lana Del Ray. Seemingly born out of time with her screen icon imagery and smoky voice she is however in the right place and time to produce an exquisite and provocative album that flirts with many genres but the sound is instantly hers and hers alone. Like Born to Die, you will love this but I wouldn't recommend it for a first date...unless your date is a self harmer with daddy issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
A lot slower than the Born to Die album. But it is just as amazing and just as beautiful as the aforementioned album. Ms Del Rey is quite possibly the most talented songstress around these days and deserves nothing but praise. I love the woman's work and as long as she keeps the standard of this and Born to Die I will continue to buy her music and love it just as much as I do with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars in a very good way, that you need to be in the ..., 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
This is one of those albums which is so different, in a very good way, that you need to be in the mood to benefit from it at it's best. I suppose I mean it is no easy-listening music, it has far more depth and interest. I bought Lana's previous album and I am glad I bought this one to, albeit different.

4.0 out of 5 stars “Beat poetry on amphetamines”… Lana goes yet darker than on "Born To Die", 12 Sept. 2014
Paul Allaer (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
2 1/2 years ago, Lana Del Rey released her hugely divisive “Born To Die” album. I found it quite the treat and frankly was amazed that despite the divisive nature and also its fairly dark undertone, this went on to become a million seller in the US. After what seems like forever, now comes Lana’s highly anticipated new studio album.

“Ultraviolence” (14 tracks, including 3 bonus tracks; 65 min.) starts off nicely with the brooding “Cruel World”, which is followed by the static title track. “Shades of Cool” sounds great. Then come the best tracks of the album. First there is the brilliant “Brooklyn Baby”, where Lana muses about “Beat poetry on amphetamines”, and later remarks wryly “Yeah my boyfriend's pretty cool/But he's not as cool as me/Cause I'm a Brooklyn baby”, ha! I keep hitting the “replay” button again and again for this song. It is followed by the hit single “West Coast”, by far the most ‘commercial’ sounding track on here (with an opening that I know I’ve heard before, I just can’t place the song). The first half of the album concludes with the beautiful if wistful “Sad Girl”. I rate the first half a perfect 5 stars. When we get to the second half of the album, a strange thing happens: the mood turns ever darker and slower, and as good as the album’s first half is, as non-plussed I am with the second half. I tend to skip song after song, as to me they all sound pretty much the same. I rate the second half only 2 1/2 stars. Fortunately things kick up again in the 3 bonus tracks, including on “Guns and Roses”, an all too obvious reference to her personal life but just ignore the lyrics and enjoy the sound, and then even better with “Florida Kilos”, a nice bright point to conclude the album. I rate the bonus tracks 4 stars.

Bottom line: there are still enough ‘golden nuggets’ to keep me interested, but I admit I miss the more diverse sound that was on “Born To Die”. On “Ultraviolence”, Lana has gone yet darker and moodier. How much darker than pitch-black does she want to get? I had the good fortune of seeing Lana in concert 2 years ago at the Irving Plaza in New York, and that was quite the set. I can only hope to have another chance soon to see how the songs from “Ultraviolence” resonate in a live setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Cool, 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A lot darker than Born to Die but classic Lana none the less.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›