5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards repeat listenings
Published 17 days ago by Warren

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on Born to Die
Now I should first say that I loved her album Born to Die. Buy it and I doubt that you will be disappointed. However, Ultraviolence is nowhere near as good. I read other reviews that raved about Ultraviolence and I've got to say that I just can't agree. In fact, I found myself automatically reaching to turn the volume down when 'The Other Woman' came on. Lana seems to...
Published 2 months ago by Jon M

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards repeat listenings, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Ultraviolence is the kind of album where its brilliance creeps up on you. Being a big fan Lana's previous album, Born to Die, this follow up was slightly disappointing on first listen. Everything seemed to be at the same pace and nothing stood out. That was my feeling after the first few listens. Within the next few listens each song started to differentiate itself and take on character. And then after that I started to fall in love with each song individually and the thing as a whole.

It's quite a sparse, minimalistic album, but all the better for it. It forces you to focus on Lana's dreamy voice and unique lyrics. But then every time I listen to it, I find something new in the music that I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if I've got a favourite song from it, but if I had to pick one I'd go with Brooklyn Baby:

"Well my boyfriend's in the band
He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed
I've got feathers in my hair
I get down to Beat poetry
And my jazz collection's raw
I can play most anything
I'm a Brooklyn baby, I'm a Brooklyn baby"

I'm not usually the kind of person who gets 'lost' in music or films, but the lyrics like the ones above feel so evocative, especially the way she sings them. Listen to the rawness in her voice when she sings that chorus for the last time.

I hope I'm not overstating how good it is, but if you find yourself listening to the album and not understanding what all the positive reviews on here are talking about, I'd advise giving it a few more goes to let its slow, otherworldly magic work on you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Play this with your headphones on and close your eyes. You will experience true transcendence. Lana del Rey is an breathtaking artist. Something about the combination of her breathy, angelic voice with her dark lyrics makes this album divine. It's really different to born to die (I think paradise marks the middle ground between the two albums) but at the same time it's still VERY Lana. It's hard t explain without listening to it. But on the whole this album has a more stripped back, raw feel. It's edgier. It's darker. Sure, Born to Die was dark, but poppier songs were interspersed with the darker songs on that album. The themes this album deals with can be very bleak; Lana does not shy away from dealing with controversial topics, and the ethereal sound contributes to this mood further. It's a haunting masterpiece. It would be difficult to pick standout tracks, but I'm happy to say that there are no filler tracks either. It all fits together perfectly.

Download it. I don't know how she keeps doing it!

4.0 out of 5 stars “Beat poetry on amphetamines”… Lana goes yet darker than on "Born To Die", 12 Sep 2014
Paul Allaer (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
2 1/2 years ago, Lana Del Rey released her hugely divisive “Born To Die” album. I found it quite the treat and frankly was amazed that despite the divisive nature and also its fairly dark undertone, this went on to become a million seller in the US. After what seems like forever, now comes Lana’s highly anticipated new studio album.

“Ultraviolence” (14 tracks, including 3 bonus tracks; 65 min.) starts off nicely with the brooding “Cruel World”, which is followed by the static title track. “Shades of Cool” sounds great. Then come the best tracks of the album. First there is the brilliant “Brooklyn Baby”, where Lana muses about “Beat poetry on amphetamines”, and later remarks wryly “Yeah my boyfriend's pretty cool/But he's not as cool as me/Cause I'm a Brooklyn baby”, ha! I keep hitting the “replay” button again and again for this song. It is followed by the hit single “West Coast”, by far the most ‘commercial’ sounding track on here (with an opening that I know I’ve heard before, I just can’t place the song). The first half of the album concludes with the beautiful if wistful “Sad Girl”. I rate the first half a perfect 5 stars. When we get to the second half of the album, a strange thing happens: the mood turns ever darker and slower, and as good as the album’s first half is, as non-plussed I am with the second half. I tend to skip song after song, as to me they all sound pretty much the same. I rate the second half only 2 1/2 stars. Fortunately things kick up again in the 3 bonus tracks, including on “Guns and Roses”, an all too obvious reference to her personal life but just ignore the lyrics and enjoy the sound, and then even better with “Florida Kilos”, a nice bright point to conclude the album. I rate the bonus tracks 4 stars.

Bottom line: there are still enough ‘golden nuggets’ to keep me interested, but I admit I miss the more diverse sound that was on “Born To Die”. On “Ultraviolence”, Lana has gone yet darker and moodier. How much darker than pitch-black does she want to get? I had the good fortune of seeing Lana in concert 2 years ago at the Irving Plaza in New York, and that was quite the set. I can only hope to have another chance soon to see how the songs from “Ultraviolence” resonate in a live setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Utterly Beautiful, 20 Jun 2014
robotfish "robotfish" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
As much as I loved Video Games (the song) I always felt the Born To Die album was pitched a bit too far in the girly RnB/Trip Hop direction. It had some killer choruses, but I had to fight the urge to skip the more poppy bits.

This album is a different beast altogether. The backing tracks are moody swathes of strings and fuzzy guitars full of reverb & echo with relatively subdued drumming. The pace rarely varies away from glacial but for this type of album it is perfect: it can be listened to in its entirety without anything jarring. However it does startle with remarkable frequency. The tunes are beautiful, and the singing is spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's moody and haunting and sad so don't listen if you are feeling down, 10 Aug 2014
C. Quinn (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I have been listening to this album a lot on headphones on the way to work, it's moody and haunting and sad so don't listen if you are feeling down. Otherwise it is relaxing and emotional. Her voice sometimes reminded me of Billie Holiday, other times like This Mortal Coil- very raw, sometimes violent and aggressive, other times melodic with base-tone backing vocals. This is my first experience of Del Rey and I am impressed

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
A lot slower than the Born to Die album. But it is just as amazing and just as beautiful as the aforementioned album. Ms Del Rey is quite possibly the most talented songstress around these days and deserves nothing but praise. I love the woman's work and as long as she keeps the standard of this and Born to Die I will continue to buy her music and love it just as much as I do with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars this is an excellent follow up album, 11 Aug 2014
Kipp (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst there are no obvious catchy hits as there were on Born to Die, this is an excellent follow up album. Darker and more atmospheric, but unmistakably Lana Del Rey. It probably won't sway critics of Born to Die or change the opinions of those who don't enjoy her bleak style of delivery. If you enjoyed liked Born To Die, then you will probably find this an absorbing listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Born to die for, 16 Jun 2014
"The record is finished and it's beautiful. And don't worry, you will love Ultra. It's so wrong and exquisite, it is absolutely gorgeous. Darker than the first; so dark it's almost unlistenable and wrong. But I love it." This was Lana Del Rey, talking to Twitter in early 2014, discussing her -then- upcoming album. She could not have been more accurate. Although it is not a radical departure from "Born to die", the songwriting on "Ultraviolence" is stronger, the lyrics more reflective, the melodies more engaging, the delivery sharper. Teaming up with The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach has given a rougher, more raw take on her fascination with classic American iconography, sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll, toning down the orchestral extravaganza of the previous album with a darker, more sensual sound.

There is not a standout song here, at least not upon first listening. One's enjoyment of "Ultraviolence" depends on how easily they can appreciate the subtle details, demonstrating Del Rey's force in the most unforced manner. If you were to take Marilyn Monroe, Kurt Cobain, Nancy Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Nina Simone, Leonard Cohen, Tori Amos and Jessica Rabbit, and roll them all up into one, Lana Del Rey would be the outcome, and this record the product. Slightly over-melodramatic and monotonous at times, but captivating and highly addictive, "Ultraviolence" may seriously be another masterpiece in music, it is an almost flawlessly executed record. Complicated romance has found its muse, the world an icon to obsess with and to worship. Fixation guaranteed, why not indulge?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good 2nd album by LDR, 9 Aug 2014
Very good 2nd album by LDR. Not quite as good as her 1st album (breathtaking), but more down to earth. Her 1st album had finely crafted songs, delivered with 'cinemasacope' backing music. If her 2nd album reflects a 'back to the roots' approach, then it is still a fine album. By the way, I disagree with the disparaging view certain critics held about her recent concert at Glastonbury. For me, it was a monumental performance in threatening weather conditions to a very appreciative audience - "we love you Lana" - I agree.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Listen, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I've only recently come across Lana but this album has really made the wait worthwhile. It's become one of those very rare things where I am listening to it again and again and ... I'd have given it 5 stars but it is just a tad samey which for me works fine but imagine others may not enjoy that.

Ultraviolence [Explicit]