5.0 out of 5 stars The best record of 2014?
I certainly haven't heard better. She could so easily have followed 'Born to Die' with a couple of good singles to buoy up a ho-hum second album, but this is a gorgeous and superbly sustained collection of songs that develop Lana's 'dissolute prom queen' persona to stunning effect.

Published 13 days ago by Young Offender

3.0 out of 5 stars It's growing on me
It's growing on me. At first I found it a little boring and depressing but it's growing on me the more I listen to it. Don't love all the tracks but will give it time.
Published 4 months ago by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars The best record of 2014?, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)

There is a nagging sense that the album hasn't done quite as well as it should have, perhaps because the lead singles were ill-chosen: 'West Coast' certainly grows in this context, but 'Ultraviolence' is one of the lesser songs here. They are both swamped by the majesty of 'Shades of Cool', 'Sad Girl', and the quite fabulous 'Brooklyn Baby'. 'Pretty When You Cry' sounds a bit like filler, admittedly, and could signal a long tail of diminishing returns in the second half, but it really doesn't - 'Money, Power, Glory', 'F*d My Way Up to the Top' and the lovely ballad 'Old Money' push the quality bar right back up.

Seriously, you need to have this. Like me, you will soon have it on repeat with a bottle of wine, bellowing along with a great big grin on your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Play this with your headphones on and close your eyes. You will experience true transcendence. Lana del Rey is an breathtaking artist. Something about the combination of her breathy, angelic voice with her dark lyrics makes this album divine. It's really different to born to die (I think paradise marks the middle ground between the two albums) but at the same time it's still VERY Lana. It's hard t explain without listening to it. But on the whole this album has a more stripped back, raw feel. It's edgier. It's darker. Sure, Born to Die was dark, but poppier songs were interspersed with the darker songs on that album. The themes this album deals with can be very bleak; Lana does not shy away from dealing with controversial topics, and the ethereal sound contributes to this mood further. It's a haunting masterpiece. It would be difficult to pick standout tracks, but I'm happy to say that there are no filler tracks either. It all fits together perfectly.

Download it. I don't know how she keeps doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultraviolence - the Lana Del Rey story continues in tremendous form., 10 Aug 2014
J. R. Wilde "eclecticJez" (Herfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
I have an immensely high regard for Lana Del Rey, she has the ability to write incredibly hard, almost vicious, biting lyrics and then deliver them in a voice so sweet and gentle that the barbs leave no wound. Quite simply, as demonstrated on "Born To Die" and "Paradise", she's one of the best lyricists around and definitely one of the best vocalists currently performing.
"Ultraviolence" merely extends that legacy, the lyrics are just as subversive, brilliantly picturesque (verbal S&M maybe) and a complete contrast to her verbal delivery. This album, to me, seems to be a perfect next step in the Lana Del Rey story and easily stands on its own against the previous two, I can hardly wait for the next edition - will she mellow, will she continue to rail against the industry and system, will she make some peace with her inner demons? Whatever the answer, I'll be first in line to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect follow up to Born to Die, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
A perfect follow up to Born to Die. More morose more adult and more captivating. Gone is the girlishness but the voice and intelligent lyrics remain. Cruel World is perhaps the best song of the year whilst lead single West Coast cleverly plays with rhythm and lyrics blending them to perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars lana del rey,enough said :), 19 Jun 2014
J. leask "lizard king uk" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
after listening to lana del ray on a weekly basis with her last album i was waiting with baited breath for this album to drop and i can say i am not dissapointed,her sexy smoldering voice grips you on the first note and does not let go till track 14 ( delux edition) will be listening to this forever or until another album appears either way i am one happy bunny indeed :)

5.0 out of 5 stars it's moody and haunting and sad so don't listen if you are feeling down, 10 Aug 2014
C. Quinn (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I have been listening to this album a lot on headphones on the way to work, it's moody and haunting and sad so don't listen if you are feeling down. Otherwise it is relaxing and emotional. Her voice sometimes reminded me of Billie Holiday, other times like This Mortal Coil- very raw, sometimes violent and aggressive, other times melodic with base-tone backing vocals. This is my first experience of Del Rey and I am impressed

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards repeat listenings, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Ultraviolence is the kind of album where its brilliance creeps up on you. Being a big fan Lana's previous album, Born to Die, this follow up was slightly disappointing on first listen. Everything seemed to be at the same pace and nothing stood out. That was my feeling after the first few listens. Within the next few listens each song started to differentiate itself and take on character. And then after that I started to fall in love with each song individually and the thing as a whole.

It's quite a sparse, minimalistic album, but all the better for it. It forces you to focus on Lana's dreamy voice and unique lyrics. But then every time I listen to it, I find something new in the music that I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if I've got a favourite song from it, but if I had to pick one I'd go with Brooklyn Baby:

"Well my boyfriend's in the band
He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed
I've got feathers in my hair
I get down to Beat poetry
And my jazz collection's raw
I can play most anything
I'm a Brooklyn baby, I'm a Brooklyn baby"

I'm not usually the kind of person who gets 'lost' in music or films, but the lyrics like the ones above feel so evocative, especially the way she sings them. Listen to the rawness in her voice when she sings that chorus for the last time.

I hope I'm not overstating how good it is, but if you find yourself listening to the album and not understanding what all the positive reviews on here are talking about, I'd advise giving it a few more goes to let its slow, otherworldly magic work on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Into the darkness, 20 Jun 2014
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Loved the first album and enjoyed this one. It's much darker with haunting lyrics and echoing vocals and needs proper listening to, not reallu suited to background or car listening.
It feels like an extension to the first album but misses out (in my humble opinion) on any stand-out tracks in the vein of Born to Die. Having said that, there is no doubt she is an immense talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Utterly Beautiful, 20 Jun 2014
robotfish "robotfish" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
As much as I loved Video Games (the song) I always felt the Born To Die album was pitched a bit too far in the girly RnB/Trip Hop direction. It had some killer choruses, but I had to fight the urge to skip the more poppy bits.

This album is a different beast altogether. The backing tracks are moody swathes of strings and fuzzy guitars full of reverb & echo with relatively subdued drumming. The pace rarely varies away from glacial but for this type of album it is perfect: it can be listened to in its entirety without anything jarring. However it does startle with remarkable frequency. The tunes are beautiful, and the singing is spot on.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 22 Oct 2014
S. Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Not as good as her previous album, but still reasonable. She can't really win after Born to Die; either it is too similar or too different. In this case probably too different and not quite as interesting.

Ultraviolence [Explicit]