5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime
Published 6 months ago by La Esmerelda

3.0 out of 5 stars It's growing on me
It's growing on me. At first I found it a little boring and depressing but it's growing on me the more I listen to it. Don't love all the tracks but will give it time.
Published 5 months ago by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Play this with your headphones on and close your eyes. You will experience true transcendence. Lana del Rey is an breathtaking artist. Something about the combination of her breathy, angelic voice with her dark lyrics makes this album divine. It's really different to born to die (I think paradise marks the middle ground between the two albums) but at the same time it's still VERY Lana. It's hard t explain without listening to it. But on the whole this album has a more stripped back, raw feel. It's edgier. It's darker. Sure, Born to Die was dark, but poppier songs were interspersed with the darker songs on that album. The themes this album deals with can be very bleak; Lana does not shy away from dealing with controversial topics, and the ethereal sound contributes to this mood further. It's a haunting masterpiece. It would be difficult to pick standout tracks, but I'm happy to say that there are no filler tracks either. It all fits together perfectly.

Download it. I don't know how she keeps doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic yet dauntless delray, 17 Dec 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
I admit that I was curious to eventually purchase ultraviolence by lana del rey after reading in an interview where she admitted to wishing that she had already died. Please know that like millions of others, I wish a happy life for her regardless of how long she lives. However, her honest admission surprised me because I actually saw the positive in what she was saying. I am in the camp who does not believe that she was trying to advocate or endorse suicide. Instead, I interpreted her admission to imply that she just wanted to be real to her fans in expressing that her life is not as perfect as it appears to be. Too many times, I have seen article features where it appears that a celebrity feels pressured (maybe at the advice of their publicist and/or other members of their entourage)to make their life or how they feel more glamorous than it really is. In my eyes, lana del rey was only trying to make it clear that there is a lot more to how she is feeling in her life that lies underneath the beauty and wealth that she is known for. As a result, I purchased ultraviolence by lana del rey on October 11, 2014 as a way to hear a musical sound from someone who is valiantly truthful with how she is feeling in life. There are multiple fantastic songs on ultraviolence, in addition to west coast such as shades of cool, Brooklyn baby, pretty when you cry, track number 9, and old money. The only thing that I would gently mention is that I just wish that there were some high energy songs as well, such as the behind close doors music sample that I heard in early 2014. I understand that she probably wanted to avoid deviating too much from the music formula that her fans love and is on her other music tracks, especially because some of the tracks such as Gods and monsters from her born to die collection represent her one of a kind music voice. However, I just feel that 2-3 tracks in the music spirit similar to behind closed doors would add a quirky yet exciting dimension. Aside from that, ultraviolence by lana del rey is a musically strong cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toxically beautiful, 7 Dec 2014
Arif Erdogan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Without doubt, the best album I have heard my entire life. This is a beautifully dark collection of songs, some stellar, some less so, its dark, beautiful and charmingly haunting. I'll rate each song:
Cruel World - 5/10
Money Power Glory - 7/10
******** My Way Up To The Top - 8/10
Old Money - 6/10
The Other Woman - 6/10

This is a wonderful improvement on Born To Die, which was still great, but this is much better. Its almost as if this is more personal, she doesn't care how people see it, she expresses herself. Its so good.
Brooklyn Baby is especially good because it starts with a smooth opening, a steady tone then the chorus comes. And it is simply gorgeous, the chorus is fantastic, catchy and a tear-bringer, I love it, its so meaningful and rich.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best record of 2014?, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
I certainly haven't heard better. She could so easily have followed 'Born to Die' with a couple of good singles to buoy up a ho-hum second album, but this is a gorgeous and superbly sustained collection of songs that develop Lana's 'dissolute prom queen' persona to stunning effect.

There is a nagging sense that the album hasn't done quite as well as it should have, perhaps because the lead singles were ill-chosen: 'West Coast' certainly grows in this context, but 'Ultraviolence' is one of the lesser songs here. They are both swamped by the majesty of 'Shades of Cool', 'Sad Girl', and the quite fabulous 'Brooklyn Baby'. 'Pretty When You Cry' sounds a bit like filler, admittedly, and could signal a long tail of diminishing returns in the second half, but it really doesn't - 'Money, Power, Glory', 'F*d My Way Up to the Top' and the lovely ballad 'Old Money' push the quality bar right back up.

Seriously, you need to have this. Like me, you will soon have it on repeat with a bottle of wine, bellowing along with a great big grin on your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultraviolence - the Lana Del Rey story continues in tremendous form., 10 Aug 2014
J. R. Wilde "eclecticJez" (Herfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
I have an immensely high regard for Lana Del Rey, she has the ability to write incredibly hard, almost vicious, biting lyrics and then deliver them in a voice so sweet and gentle that the barbs leave no wound. Quite simply, as demonstrated on "Born To Die" and "Paradise", she's one of the best lyricists around and definitely one of the best vocalists currently performing.
"Ultraviolence" merely extends that legacy, the lyrics are just as subversive, brilliantly picturesque (verbal S&M maybe) and a complete contrast to her verbal delivery. This album, to me, seems to be a perfect next step in the Lana Del Rey story and easily stands on its own against the previous two, I can hardly wait for the next edition - will she mellow, will she continue to rail against the industry and system, will she make some peace with her inner demons? Whatever the answer, I'll be first in line to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect follow up to Born to Die, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
A perfect follow up to Born to Die. More morose more adult and more captivating. Gone is the girlishness but the voice and intelligent lyrics remain. Cruel World is perhaps the best song of the year whilst lead single West Coast cleverly plays with rhythm and lyrics blending them to perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars lana del rey,enough said :), 19 Jun 2014
J. leask "lizard king uk" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
after listening to lana del ray on a weekly basis with her last album i was waiting with baited breath for this album to drop and i can say i am not dissapointed,her sexy smoldering voice grips you on the first note and does not let go till track 14 ( delux edition) will be listening to this forever or until another album appears either way i am one happy bunny indeed :)

5.0 out of 5 stars it's moody and haunting and sad so don't listen if you are feeling down, 10 Aug 2014
C. Quinn (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultraviolence [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I have been listening to this album a lot on headphones on the way to work, it's moody and haunting and sad so don't listen if you are feeling down. Otherwise it is relaxing and emotional. Her voice sometimes reminded me of Billie Holiday, other times like This Mortal Coil- very raw, sometimes violent and aggressive, other times melodic with base-tone backing vocals. This is my first experience of Del Rey and I am impressed

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards repeat listenings, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
Ultraviolence is the kind of album where its brilliance creeps up on you. Being a big fan Lana's previous album, Born to Die, this follow up was slightly disappointing on first listen. Everything seemed to be at the same pace and nothing stood out. That was my feeling after the first few listens. Within the next few listens each song started to differentiate itself and take on character. And then after that I started to fall in love with each song individually and the thing as a whole.

It's quite a sparse, minimalistic album, but all the better for it. It forces you to focus on Lana's dreamy voice and unique lyrics. But then every time I listen to it, I find something new in the music that I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if I've got a favourite song from it, but if I had to pick one I'd go with Brooklyn Baby:

"Well my boyfriend's in the band
He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed
I've got feathers in my hair
I get down to Beat poetry
And my jazz collection's raw
I can play most anything
I'm a Brooklyn baby, I'm a Brooklyn baby"

I'm not usually the kind of person who gets 'lost' in music or films, but the lyrics like the ones above feel so evocative, especially the way she sings them. Listen to the rawness in her voice when she sings that chorus for the last time.

I hope I'm not overstating how good it is, but if you find yourself listening to the album and not understanding what all the positive reviews on here are talking about, I'd advise giving it a few more goes to let its slow, otherworldly magic work on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good follow up to Born to Die, 20 Dec 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
I've come to her music a bit late in the day and it's lovely to enjoy a fresh discovery. A haunting voice and good production, with great songs. Also pleasing to see that it definitely does not have any kind of second album dip, which can afflict quite a few performers. What's not to like?

Ultraviolence [Explicit]