on 14 June 2014
I loved this book - the second one continuing with the life of Bridie Mcmahon. It is a real page turner and kept me up quite late at nights because I couldn't put it down. I recommend this book even if the first book 'Bridie Mcmahon' hasn't been read as its superb as a stand alone book, with past references explained when required. The ending of the story was brilliant and I really hope Marion publishes a third book , making a trilogy of stories about Bridie Mcmahon and her life and family. Marions ability to write a novel is wonderful and I wish her every future success with her writing and she is definitely one of my favourite authors.
on 9 July 2014
An excellent follow up to Bridie's life story, interesting journey through social history, great descriptions of places and scenery that took you right there. A lovely book to suit everyone across all ages and social backgrounds.
on 20 June 2014
highly recommend this follow up what a brilliant read (bridie McMahon being the first book) cant say too much but the end was totally unexpected ..I do hope that there will be book number three making this a trilogy and well done marion fellows .
on 12 June 2014
Absolutely loved this book.as I did the first one ...carnt wait for Marion to publish another book as I loved her style of writing brilliant storyline .....
on 13 June 2014
Another brilliant book by Marion following on with the story of Bridie and "Alfie", and their family and friends. look forward to more from you Marion. :)
on 31 July 2014
Brilliant read. Looking forward to the next book by this author.
on 21 June 2014
I read this book, hardly being able to put it down, it is a MUST read - I would NEVER have guessed the ending, absolutely wonderful read. Congratulations Marion - and how lovely to read a bit about this lovely author at the end. Look forward to another of Marion's wonderful books
44 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2014
Detailed, well-planned story. A few surprises and rather too many coincidences in it though.

Lots of characters. I would have found a family tree useful, but I realised at the end why there wasn't one.

The reader knows things that the characters don't, but the ending was a surprise to me and the characters at the same time.
Something one of the characters apparently said repeatedly as a child was left out of the story at the time, to keep the surprise. I felt slightly cheated by that. There should have been a way of saying it.

One thing grated on me though - Bridie's accent. I feel it would have mellowed more.

I still hope there is a third book, maybe bringing us to the next war.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2016
This is the second book in the Bridie Series. It continues the story of Bridie and her family and friends. Also, it follows the story of William Fairfax. I loved the social history and feel the author must have done a lot of research into the life of miners and waterways workers, and also the more privileged and wealthy classes. The main storyline is enthralling and very moving and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would like to thank the author, Marion Fellows, for another excellent book and look forward to reading the third book in this series.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2015
I really enjoyed reading this book from the very first page to the very last word. Looking forward to reading more from this author