4.0 out of 5 stars Understated Genius, 25 July 2005
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
Whilst this album is by no means perfect - we could have done with a few more songs ( although those familiar with the Lemonheads will know of Dando's penchant for short songs on short albums ), and a couple of the more experimental tracks fall a little flat - it is certainly worth a look. Upon first listen the album is slightly underwhelming but persevere, it really is a grower.
Evan Dando's voice is as beautiful as ever, well suited to slightly more mellow style of this offering, and the consruction of the backing quickly dispells any initial obsevations of simplicity. This is an album which as you listen to more and more you will find yourself noticing another perfect interplay between two barely audible guitar tracks, or a great chord change and so on. As mentioned above the several guest artists all lend something to the unique sound - not least the boys from Calexico who give "Hard Drive" ( my personal favourite ) written by long time Dando admirer Ben Lee, a brilliant swing and great bassline.
Theres also a good level of emotion invested in the album - such as the slighlty discordant "Rancho Santa Fe" and the haunting verses of "The Same Thing...", which shines through the general warmth of the record. A mention must also be given to seeing Dando perform these songs - live his voice is, if anything, even better than on record and he has such charisma that it'd probably be a pleasure to watch him playing anything. Really try to see him to put these songs into context.
All in all, an album you may not be entirely sure why you like so much when you haven't heard it for a while, but one that worms into your psyche a little more with each listen. Well worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 1 Dec 2004
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
Welcome back Evan! An absolute gem of a record, Iv been waiting for this record for so many years and was preparing myself to be disappointed. Every song is pure Evan Dando genuis, "My Idea", "Hard Drive", "All My Life" all brilliant melodies and heartfelt confessionals. This collection of songs is such a shot in the arm for todays "I hate my Dad" bands and shows you dont have to scream and deafen to get your point across when you can say it slowly and meaningfully.
Welcome back Evan you've been sorely missed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good return for Evan, 20 Mar 2003
Jules (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
Anybody who thought that hanging around with Oasis a few years ago must have spelt doom will be relieved after a listen to 'Baby I'm Bored'. He seems to have his appetite and confidence back and the result is an album with no real weaknesses. The songs are varied, although all recognisably Evan Dando. 'Baby I'm Bored' is definitely not a Lemonheads album as it is more openly personal (although not cloying) and possibly because it lacks - in my opinion - that standout chart track. But a move forwards not just in a different direction and definitely worth buying on its own merits. Well done Evan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby I'm impressed, 10 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
Awesome. that's the only way to describe the majority of this album. After a while in exile Dando comes back with the songwriting magic unique to him. heartfelt genuine lyrics and some real credibility make him a quality songwriter and his music a plus in anyone's collection. Indie with, at times, a country twang. this man is the last word in understatement. there are a few head up your own arse tracks on this album but when the rest of it has so much quality it's forgivable. watch out for the tracks all my life and hard drive. superb. don't leave it so long next time. buy and enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Still crazy after all these years..., 21 Mar 2003
Curlynob (Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
I've been a Lemonheads fan since my college days and will always have room in my record collection for anything by Evan Dando. Nice to see then that the former chief Lemonheads' first solo album is a bit of a gem. Laid back, thoughtful and considered, this is an understated, slow burner of an album. Fans of Wilco and the Flaming Lips will find much to enjoy here in the bitter-sweet senitments and off kilter delivery. At under 40 minutes long it's all over a little bit quickly, but with gems like Hard Drive and the beautiful All My Life there'll be no complaints from me at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful low-key album, 18 Mar 2003
Ernie (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
after a seven year wait, even dando is finally back, and boy was it worth the wait!
"baby i'm bored", his first release under his own name, is a laid back alt country affair, but with that twist you would always expect from dando.
the whole album is much more consistent than past lemonheads releases, with contributions from the much underrated ben lee, and long time songwriting partner tom morgan.
the opening track "repeat" is a jangly pop song, not unlike past lemonheads songs.

"waking up" is another stand out track, with sprawling backing vocals and random hand claps.
"in the grass all wine colored", is a beautiful, mellow, country tinged, acoustic track, which shows off evan at his laid back best.
this is a truly stunning comeback from evan dando, and a reaffirmation of the talent we all knew he had in him.
if you are a fan of well crafted songs with a twist, this album is definitely a must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Evan's first (and only) solo album, 9 Sep 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
The Lemonheads went on a hiatus in 1997 and it wasn't until seven years later that front man Evan Dando released his first solo album. After sobering up and getting married, the much anticipated 'Baby I'm Bored' was like he'd never been away.

Many of the qualities that had made the Lemonheads so popular in their chart heyday (1992-1996) can be found here, short, simple but nevertheless brilliant acoustic songs, heartfelt melodies and brilliant lyrics. Evan's voice is as beautiful as ever, but this is certainly not a complete Lemonheads style album. Many of the songs here have a deeper meaning, giving it a more personal and sincere quality, whilst others, like 'Waking Up', are experimental and may take time to grow on you. There aren't many surprises though, it's probably just what you would expect from Evan, it's a comfortable album (many similar sounds and Evan sounding relaxed) but at least it could never alienate his fan base. The heartfelt 'All My Life' (recently receiving new exposure on a three disc 'Indie Anthems' boxset) is my personal favourite.

On the strength of 'Baby I'm Bored', I wish Evan had released more solo albums. The public were obviously interested at the time as it quickly entered the UK top 30, but it is unfortunate than follow up releases never came. Still, at least it was a strong and successful comeback from an underrated genius, and the Lemonheads were eventually reformed two years later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminally Underrated, 16 Aug 2011
Cuban Heel "Neil Schiller" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
I always thought Evan Dando was a bit underrated. Some of The Lemonheads albums were tremendous records, and yet they never seemed to get the recognition they deserved. This solo album is no exception. It's full of great melodies, most of them acoustically led with a bit of a lo-fi feel overall. With music put together this way it HAS to be great to stand up as there's little in the production or arrangements to hide any deficiencies. And great this album truly is.

'Repeat' is so breezy it just sticks in your head and you can't get it out of there again. 'My Idea' is kind of hypnotic. And 'Hard Drive' is just one of those songs where the songwriter has hit upon one of the most simple and yet perfectly conceived ideas ever. It's just brilliant.

Ok, there are some experimental moments on it. 'Waking Up' borders on tunelessness at times, but in it's defence it's a fun kind of song in it's way. It's about time this guy got a bit of credit for what he does. I'd love to see another solo record, but if he carries on putting out Lemonhead ones instead (as he seems to have started doing again) I'll be happy enough with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album I've Heard in Ages, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
Fantastic Album, really grows on you. Not a duff track on there. Hasn't been off the player since I bought it. Respect Evan.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't put it down!!, 15 Jan 2004
This review is from: Baby I'm Bored (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it first came out and have to say it has stayed constantly within my grasp - it is a fantastic album showing evan's depth and intelligence. I just hope he keeps giving more of this...........

Baby I'm Bored