5.0 out of 5 stars After many years of listening....
Published on 5 Oct. 2009 by steven music fan james

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Will give it to a charity shop ,a most awful unappealing collection of tunes.I really wanted a CD of her glorious folk music.
Published 15 months ago by Derek Woodford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars After many years of listening...., 5 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
this has got to be the best collection of songs that Cerys has ever made (including Catatonia ) . This is an album like albums used to be made , songs that each have a standout quality of their own , but when heard together sound like they are from the same place. The single Arlington Way has been a big hit on the radio , I must have heard it a dozen times , but it sounded like a huge breath of fresh air when it kicks off the album here , and then "Into The Blue " comes gently in . "Woke up this morning like I've always done , with a strong cup of coffee and a sense of things to come , I raise my arms to the sky just to see if they have grown , seems the longer that you live , the more there is to know " .It's immediate and sounds like a hit single , but after the four plays I have given this album today , it just doesn't wear .
I keep picking up great one liner lyrics each time I listen .
"The Captain Needs A Ship "sounds like a wayward sea shanty , "Aeroplane " has a stillness , easy to use the word beautiful every other word , but it truly is , alongside "Evelyn " . My favourite track is none of these (but all of them) . "It's What's Left " is just kickin , full on , with a drum break that may be among the best of all time , I can't think of ever hearing a song like it . I don't want to read reviews that always seem to say an album is the best an artist has made , or the worst come to that . BUT , this is such a brilliant "album" that it is more than just the best album that Cerys Matthews has ever sung on , it is the best album I have heard by a contemporary artist , i can't remember the last one to compare it too .

5.0 out of 5 stars Cerys Rocks!, 6 Oct. 2009
Ms. D. W. Rees "Dolly- Daydream" (Denbighshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
Excellent album. Less folk than her last albums as an artist in her own right.
'Don't look Down' takes you through a journey of different moods. Her voice is better than ever and her musicians are super talented. I have seen them live in several theatre gigs now and this album evokes the same intimate atmosphere.
I prefer some of the songs sang in Welsh, such as Spider and the fly and Evelyn, but think its an excellent idea to release the album in 2 versions. I'd say she pulls it off, though her voice will never fail to charm me. Sometimes sweet and soft, other times reminiscent of the mighty voice we heard back in the Catatonia days, yet purer and stronger than ever today.
Would recommend to anyone who appreciates quality music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expect the unexpected, 6 Oct. 2009
Ms. Rachel Wilson "Rach-Wils" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
One of the many great things about Cerys Matthews is her ability to dream up something new and surprising with each release. This album is no exception to that rule. It opens with the gorgeous first single `Arlington Way', which leads into an array of individual gems that sit alongside each other beautifully. `Into The Blue' has an unusual rhythm and great lyrics...
`I'm not looking for trouble, trouble always finds me and I recognise it coming and I don't want to see it leave'
It almost feels like an invitation to enter into the rest of the album.
You get everything on one CD... slow, sensual, dreamy, jaunty, soaring, dancing, sweeping, soft bits, shouty bits, great guitars, brilliant drums.
You can even get a Welsh version.
What more could you ask for?
It's great on CD, but if you ever get the opportunity to see Cerys on tour, then grab it with both hands. She is one very special lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cerys creates a masterpiece, 21 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
As most of the customer reviews say it all, I just want to confirm to anyone who has even the slightest interest in Cerys, Catatonia, welsh music, or to have an album in your collection that you'll want to cherish forever - Then BUY THIS! I swear, this is such a beautiful, sublime piece of work that just gets under your skin. It's all so personal, which gives it the appeal to those of us who veer towards the artistic, tortured, creative, expressive world that seems so rare in music these days. You wallow and swim gently in all of the wonderful innovative sounds and inspiring lyrics. When this disc arrived I felt that I needed to prepare for it's first hearing. Alone in the house, a big mug of milky coffee, shoes off, phone unplugged and enough comfort to allow every song seep into the brain. One of the loveliest experiences I've had for a long time! I just can't pick a favourite, every song is a piece of art in it's own right, with a personality and a story that takes you on a journey of fragile, yet wholly expressed meaning. As another reviewer said, she almost whispers when she needs and belts it out of those great celtic lungs when required! "Salutations" has the melody that any songwriter would want to compose, with a string arrangement that sounds like it's being played by angels! Everytime I hear her say "Come home" I just cannot stop the tears! Cerys how can you better this? Thank God that the music world still has a place for artists of this calibre. An album that becomes a classic after one hearing, for me is a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A F-antastic-abulous Album..., 6 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
I'd already heard 'Arlington Way' countless times I adore Cerys' backing vocals "...dream may come true..." with that light ethereal wispy voice, that touch alone shows how much care, consideration and feeling has been put into this album and it continues on throughout. By the second track I was already sold the jaunty 'Into The Blue' a lively feel good song instantly likable as it is memorable. I won't drag on the review all I'll say is the genius musician Mason Neely is an added bonus and Cerys is as talented as she is lovely. Three words to sum up:- Brilliant Memorable Songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the wonderful world of Cerys Matthews, 7 Oct. 2009
Mr. P. Brown "peanut01" (Crawley West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
What an amazing album this is. Each song is a stand alone song which shouts out hit.
From the beautiful songs such as Evelyn and Oranges to Florida, to the upbeat tempos of Smash The Glass, Into The Blue and It's What's Left(That Makes It Right)- incidentally which is very Catatonia style.
Then we have at last the English versions of some terrific songs , Spider And The Fly and Aeroplanes , as well as Cerys's single release Arlington Way with it's James Bond sounding feel.
The album propels Cerys to new heights as an exceptional songwriter and singer who stands out from the pack with her unique voice and versatile singing range. And to make things more interesting you can listen to all these songs and more on her Welsh version album released at the same time.
I could go on, describing the other songs on the album as each is sheer brilliance and needs to be listened to to appreciate her talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Labels again, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
My only complaint, which I have mentioned elsewhere with this and all the CDs I have brought is the label on the back. It is fine if the item is shrink wrapped. This one like a lot of others was not. These labels are impossible to fully remove and leave a sticky patch on the back of the case . with this item the label again covered the song titles. Fine if you have to use these labels, but could you not put them in a corner at least or use a label that can be peeled off easily or use a smaller unobtrusive label that doers not spoil the case. One of my CDs has the label smack in the centre hiding all the details for the CD. having purchased 50+ CDs over the past two months and planning to buy many more I now have to consider buying elsewhere to avoid this problem. It is such a shame that what is an excellent service should be spoilt by a silly label that only tells you have a new product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Outsourcing, 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Don't Look Down (MP3 Download)
There's a lot to say about these songs, and I started this review with the idea that getting it into words would ease my inconvenient obsession with listening to the album again. (And again.) Maybe that would have worked. If only I could have found what those words are...

I'm not a proper Cerys Matthews fan. When britpop was big, I was busy. All I have for Catatonia is a) prone to sing in Welsh, and b) much better than Oasis. So back in October, my only reason to suffer the cruelly hard pews of the Union Chapel in Islington was that I admired the single "Arlington Way" and I thought it would be fun to hear the songs live before playing the album. So I walked up the hill to Highgate and saw a heavily pregnant woman in a braided tunic demand a chair, sit down, and use her captivating voice and presence, and two fabulous musicians, to interfere with my mind. I'd already put the album on to my little Samsung, I played through it on the tube home, and my time hasn't been my own since.

This isn't a concert review. It's not the place to write about Mason Neely's precision drumming robot. Or about Ms Matthews' pugnacious hi-saturation glamour filling a church with enough left over to run down Upper St as far as the Angel. Or Kevin Teel sounding so very Nashville. Or how "Road Rage" sticks in your head... because it was the new songs I'd come to hear, and Cerys jumped out of that chair and made sure we heard plenty.

We have a pop/folk album of rather personal songs -- intriguing writing, lovely tunes, delicious singing and excellent arrangements. I'm tempted to say that the source is Cerys' own life and that the title, a line from A Captain Needs a Ship, is advice. Good advice in fact: if you find yourself living on a tightrope -- Don't Look Down.

The songs certainly come from somewhere serious. The feeling is real and it seems as though Ms Matthews is one of those singers who can't perform without exposing herself. That appeals to anyone willing to listen, but it always surprises me how strong the draw is for people -- men -- who don't do emotion in their regular life. It's like outsourcing -- subcontracting to a supplier who can do it better than you can. If you are prone to keep feelings and situations under control, then the message of "Into the Blue" is liberation. If your life doesn't have much seduction in it, "Spider and the Fly", consoles that gap with a reminder that predation can go both ways. And if you lack the courage to get seriously bent on substances, try "A Captain Needs a Ship". Emotional outsourcing: you can tell, listening to that voice, listening to those words, that your affairs are in the hands of an expert.

Emotional isn't soupy or banal. "It's what's left (that makes it right)" is all the lyric required to arch over two rocky minutes. The bouncing Detroit rythm under "Smash the Glass" makes an unsettling contrast with the song's challenging key. Even the lower tempos aren't just any sort of ballad. The talky bit on "Salutations" ought to be a cringe, but it evokes a lonely milieu and turns out to be the exact right choice to pile hope and tender feeling into a sad song -- and to ask a question most of us need to answer: "What am I waiting for?" And I don't know how much to read into "Through a Glass" -- it might be addressed to a waking lover, but I think it's for a newborn child.

I'm not going to turn this into a track listing. There are half a dozen songs that feel like permanent additions to my life, and most of the others are good enough to make you glad you bought the album. The words are apposite, clever and occasionally heart-rending or funny. The musical arrangements and production seem faultless and beautifully fitting. I do have to mention Neely -- I suppose it's him -- creating a blinding drum roll on "It's what's wrong..."

And there's the voice. Left till last to leave room to show how much else is good on this record. But it's sung by this singer -- Cerys Matthews -- and she takes all this excellence which would be unusual, special, as it stands, and moves it up a level into a treat from her to us. She does conventional sweetness and she does conventional belting, and she adds her own magic -- tiny details of timing and enuciation, vulnerability and confidence to turn emotional music into an engrossing emotional event.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastico album, 23 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
Dont look down, luce como el mejor disco en solitario de cerys, basicamente y a diferencia de sus anteriores trabajos, es un disco de pop puro, mas similar a un album de su ex grupo catatonia que a sus trabajos anteriores en solitario.
De todas formas el album transita por puntos bastante diversos en lo compositivo, desde piezas mas poderosas y de mas volumen, como "spider and the fly", y "arlington way" pasando por el juego armonico en "smash the glass", hasta temas casi basicos como la melodica "evelyn" y la notable "into the blue", mas directa y accesible..
un juego que sabe ejecutar mejor que nadie, casi con maestria se autoconvierte, adaptandose a diferentes roles a traves del disco, que la llevan por diferentes caminos, que recuerdan momentos magicos de catatonia en el poderoso desorden sonoro de "it's what's left", hasta el perfecto orden compositivo de la clasica "aeroplanes" donde la voz dulce y baja nos acerca un poco mas a "dead for the waist down" y a su magica melodia...
Es de suponer que luego de un camino mas experimental y complejo, cerys decidio volver a componer simples canciones, como recordando que ademas de ser una artista flexible y versatil, es a demas una notable compositora y cantante, tanto cuando grita fuerte para que la excuchemos, como cuando canta bajito para quien la quera oir...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Don't Look Down (Audio CD)
What a FANTASTIC album the best yet from cerys mathews, From begining to end i couldnt wait for the next track, great to unwind to or a dinner party well done Cerys

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›