4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful addition to this world, 10 Aug. 2014
Michelle Cardozo (Wokingham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snake Charm: A Vestigial Tale (Vestigial Tales Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
When I first head about Laura Lam's decision to self-publish a collection of Vestigial Tales, I was incredibly excited. I love the world she created in Pantomime and Shadowplay. I loved the characters and Vestige and I couldn't wait to read more and find out every bit of new information about this world that I could...

And The Snake Charm did not disappoint. This story focuses on Drystan, the White Clown, before Micah Grey shows up at RH Ragona's Circus of Magic. It tells this story of unrest amongst the clowns and how Drystan finds himself in the middle of this fight between one of the other clowns and Bil, the ringmaster involving an incredibly powerful piece of Vestige.

I think what The Snake Charm does so well is that not only does it show us the dangers and consequences that come with owning this particular piece of Vestige but it also gives a bit fuller of a back story to a really well-loved character. Drystan has always been one of my favourite characters from Pantomime and Shadowplay and I loved that he gets the full spotlight in this novella. It was fun to see his role in the circus a little better and to see his perspective on some of the other key players in the circus before Micah Grey shows up.

I thought The Snake Charm was a wonderful addition to this world. It was a fun adventure and I can't wait to read the other Vestigial Tales, The Fisherman's Net, The Tarot Reader and The Card Sharp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Laura Lam does it again!, 1 Sept. 2014
Laura Lam's Vestigial Tales are novellas that I've been meaning to read for the longest time. I'm a huge fan of Laura's novels so I was really looking forward to immersing myself further in her world. The Snake Charm is the first novella and it gives you more of an insight into Drystan, the White Clown and his life prior to Micah's joining of R.H. Ragona's Circus of Magic. This was a quick and easy read but oh so captivating at the same time. I was instantly transported back into Lam's world and incredibly reluctant to leave.

This novella provides so much more depth and insight into Drystan's character. The Snake Charm holds some horrendous memories and I didn't see events like this coming. It explained a lot about his character. It's infuriating not being able to go into much detail about this novella because I don't want to spoil it for you guys! This story most certainly packs a punch and I'm really looking forward to reading more of The Vestigial Tales

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you imagine a dwarf knocking out a mammoth? That’s what The Snake Charm is; small but packs a punch., 9 Jun. 2014
You get sucked in right away with character descriptions that make you feel like you know them but that you have more to find out and more importantly leaving you wanting to find out more.
I still need to read Pantomime (I know I’m a bit behind right?) but was told this would stand fine on its own and even as a bit of an introduction and it’s certainly done that, leaving me wanting to get back to Pantomime soon.
You’ll not take two sittings to read through it, well worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars *throws 5 star ratings at the book*, 9 Jun. 2014
Oh, man, I loved this little story. It reads a lot like a smaller scale version of "Pantomime": a quick read (maybe 2 hours, depending on your reading speed) but with the same twists, turns, atmosphere and fight scenes.

It's also completely standalone, and if you haven't read Laura's "Pantomime" I'd read this first -- it adds even more depth to the circus members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking prequel to Pantomime, 6 Jun. 2014
This short story is a must for everyone who enjoyed Laura Lam's first two novels, Pantomime and Shadowplay.

A prequel to Pantomime, The Snake Charm is a revealing story about how Drystan came to lead the clowns in R.H. Ragona's Circus of Magic. There are three more Vestigal Tales coming from this world - I'll be keeping an eye out for all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 Dec. 2014
Miss Stubbs "ThiefofCamorr" (Australia) - See all my reviews
At 42 pages, this is a short story that takes place in the circus (R.H. Ragona’s Circus of Magic) that we see in the first book of the series, but set before Micah joins. This revolves around Drystan (a fan favourite to be sure) and the awful and unethical ringmaster Bil, but also introduces the reader to a couple of characters that are long gone before Micah's path meets that of the circus.

Reading about circuses is always infectious and this does an excellent job of spellbinding the reader - it must be hard to pull off the energy, magic and excitement of it all, but Lam certainly manages it. This is an excellent start to this mini-series, yet somehow it only gets better from here. Fans are lucky they can go straight from this to the first book in the series, Pantomime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, suspense, and revisiting old friends!, 28 July 2014
The Snake Charm is a fabulous story on two counts: One, I got to go back to the world of Micah Grey and hang out with Drystan some more (at the circus!), and Two, I got drawn into a fast-paced, magic-filled story brimming with intrigue and danger. It's a lovely companion story to Pantomime and Shadowplay, but it also stands perfectly on its own. I easily read it in a couple of hours and it made an adventurous little interlude between longer novels. Highly enjoyable and great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Short Story :), 21 Jun. 2014
A fantastic insight into Drystan's life pre-Micah Grey. I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable!! :)

If you enjoyed the Micah Grey books, this is a great little extra morsel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, but sweet!, 15 Jun. 2014
Laura Lam can write about a clown and make me not throw my Kindle away in fear. That, my friends, is a skill and a half.

Not only that, but with The Snake Charm (and indeed, with the first two full-length books in her Pantomime series, ifyouhaven’treadthemdoitnow) she’s given me that most lovely joy of joys – a character I love. Drystan Hornbeam won me over pretty much at once, and over the course of two books I’ve swooned, cheered and declared my grabby-hands desire for more of him. So, naturally, I grabbed this short story at the earliest opportunity and devoured it likewise.

Now I’ve got the bookish equivalent of a happy belly.

Everything I love about the Pantomime books, with the exception of their protagonist – this is a prequel story – is here. The circus setting, caught in some intriguing place between romantic and enthralling, and grimly realistic, swept me up just like it did the first time out. The Alder magic, in the form of a Vestige artifact called a Lethe – and if you know your magical lore, you can guess at what its power involves – is as wonderfully mysterious as ever. And then there’s the assortment of shady characters, most of them sympathetic in some way, but still managing to be the types you don’t want to meet in a dark alley or with a lot of money in your wallet. It’s a short story, but there’s so very much contained here, and Laura pulls it all together into a tasty reading treat that left me happy with what I’d feasted my eyes on, yet wanting more badly enough that I can’t wait for the next story!

And if there’s ever other purchasable merchandise made available, I dare say I will be all over that. *Raises hand* I am a fangirl.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice little prequel story to Pantomime, 7 Jun. 2014
This is a little prequel story to <i>Pantomime</i>. It stands well on its own, so you can read it even without reading <i>Pantomime </i>first, but you'd probably be able to enjoy it a lot more if you have read both <i>Pantomime </i>and <i>Shadowplay</i>.

I liked this a lot! You all know how much I loved <i>Pantomime </i>and <i>Shadowplay</i>, and the universe of these books. This was an interesting look at a powerful and potentially terrifying Vestige artefact (I think it's pretty cool that these tales are all going to be centred around different Vestige artefacts, because they're fascinating and I can't wait to learn about other artefacts!), and I liked getting to know Drystan a bit more. What he was like at the circus, before Micah came along; the touch of loneliness in him. The way he quietly observes, and always keeps his true self hidden. It makes me all the happier that I got to see him the way he was in <i>Shadowplay</i>, so much more open, all the trust he showed in Micah in that book.

I also liked the glimpses of Frit that we got in <i>The Snake Charm</i>. If you know her story from <i>Pantomime</i>, you'll know that it is a very sad one, and that's the case here too, somehow sadder for the hint of hope that still lingers in her.

I only wish this story had been longer! I really want to spend more time with Drystan. I just am not very used to reading short stories most of the time and I feel like with a short story of this length, by the time I'm really getting into it, it's already over. I like to have more stuff to sink my teeth into. The <i>Vestigial Tales</i> are going to be of varying lengths though, and some will be longer, so I'm really looking forward to them!