5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
I plugged it in and seconds later I was watching a Dvd - delighted
Published 6 months ago by D. Huzzard

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware! Didn't work fully, from China, hard to return
Buyer beware!
THis product is well photographed and marketed. In itself it is just a basic disk-drive, nothing flashy.

Published 4 months ago by E. R. M. Huffman

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
D. Huzzard - See all my reviews
This review is from: COOLEAD- Black Slim USB External Blu-Ray Player External USB DVD RW Laptop Burner Drive + Free Microfiber Cloth (Electronics)
I plugged it in and seconds later I was watching a Dvd - delighted

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware! Didn't work fully, from China, hard to return, 2 Sept. 2014
E. R. M. Huffman "ermh" (Hants, England) - See all my reviews
Buyer beware!

Mine would burn CDs okay but would not burn DVDs. It kept saying 'problems calibrating laser intensity'. A number of remedies were suggested by the vendor (often hard to understand- at this point it became clear I was dealing with a business in China) all of which I implemented. Tried it on two PCs, one with brand new Windows 8 and the very latest Nero Burning software. Tried it on my iMac. They would have kept suggesting things for me to try, I think- working from the assumption that I should debug it and there had to be something wrong from my end, rather than their product not working!

In the end I said 'I want a refund' which they eventually granted but I now have to post, at my own hassle and expense, the product back to China. I will get a refund if it proves to be their error, my email says. I

Don't do it guys! It's simply not worth the hassle! Buy from someone UK based (if you can tell... it's hard to sometimes) or direct from Amazon, not their marketplace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for bluray ripping, it's a bargain, 28 Nov. 2014
Mr Patrick J Noble (Nottingham, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I noticed a lot of negative reviews on this product so just wanted to add some balance. I ordered this device because I rip all of my DVDs to a NAS box so that I can watch them on any device in the house but did not have a bluray reader on any of my computers. I placed my order on Wednesday and it was delivered on Thursday. I plugged it into an Acer Aspire running Windows 7 and within seconds it had recognised the drive and loaded drivers. I downloaded and installed MakeMKV, inserted my first bluray film and ripped it without any problems. It takes about 40 minutes per disc so perfectly acceptable for my needs. I think the device is a bargain at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD and Blu-ray drive., 27 Sept. 2014
This product works exactly as described. It does read Blu-rays, but unfortunately as I don't have the right software I can't actually play them. However when tested with someone else's laptop (that does have software) works wonderfully.

I bought this item as my crappy laptop's CD drive packed up about 6 months ago (JUST after the warranty expired. Typical!), but it plays DVDs and usual CDs (both music and games) with no problems. Really pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING THIS OPTICAL DRIVE DOES NOT PLAY BLU RAY MOVIES !!!!!, 13 Sept. 2014
Mr. DJR. "DJR." (Greater Manchester U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A CAUTIONARY TALE!!!! WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU WISH TO WATCH BLU RAY MOVIES!!!
for some time I had been looking for an external blu ray player I did not want to spend too much on it as I already had a top of the line Sony & this would be to watch movies on so I did not have to keep unplugging audio /hdmi /power leads and plugging the other set of cables in,
Going off the advert to sell the blu ray player at the time it was plug and play and played movies, but I also read reviews of this and various other of the cheaper blu ray players where it was mentioned that you need to get player software, but I thought I would take a punt, it arrived in a little over a week was as described and was well packaged, after opening I plugged it into my pc which is two years old I7 core, 1tb hdd, 8gb ram, a NVidia GeForce GTX 550ti graphics card, windows 7 ultimate, with a DAC Magic external dac with all drivers etc up to date, it played cd's and dvd's but in doing so managed to wipe the drivers of my external dac but would not play blu ray movies you do need another programme to watch them (if it works) I spent the next seven hours downloading and installing blu ray playing software 3 that where free and 3 that where on a trial basis and you had to pay roughly 3 times the cost of the actual optical drive for the licence (SO THIS WAS NOT THE CHEAP OPTION AFTERALL) NONE OF WHICH WORKED ON MY SYSTEM!!!.
then I had the hassle of getting my dac to work again which eventually I had to do a system restore which got it working,
stupidly I thought I would give it one last try and as soon as I plugged it in it wiped the dac drivers again.
The next morning I sent an email to Coolead to ask to return it, they replied the next day asking for the spec of my P.C. what I had managed to get to work on it what programmes I had tried with it I again explained that when it did work it wiped the drivers for the external dac and that I had no sound so I would like to return it for a refund,
The next day I had another email back offering me 30% off if I kept the drive and that if I wanted to send it back it was "to a far away place" to which I replied "I did not mind sending it to them aslong as they paid for the postage or atleast half of it?".
The next day they sent me the address to China and specified they wanted it sent via royal mail and for it to be trackable, but there was no mention of paying the postage!!!!
So I wrapped it up and posted it on the Thursday via royal mail and trackable which cost me twelve pounds and forty five pence on top of the twenty eight pounds for the drive. I sent them an email to let them know that I had posted it with royal mail and that it was trackable and how much it had cost & I received one back saying that they might not be able to sign for it and would I track it from my end?
at this point I sent an email to Amazon who quickly responded and started an A to Z guarantee claim but it has now been over two weeks and I still have not received any money back of either Coolead or Amazon.
So be warned people although the optical drive will play blu ray data discs you will need extra drivers/software to play movies,
& if you wish for a refund be prepared to jump through hoops by Coolead and still not get your money back.
One star is the lowest that you can give if I had my way it would be Minus 5 stars for the misleading advert and subsequent poor treatment by Coolead!

edit,20/09/14
After posting the optical drive to Coolead over 3 weeks ago I have finally been given a partial refund that is not the full amount which I paid initially to them and by doing as they requested in sending it back trackable I was able to find out that a delivery attempt was made on 09/09/14 but no-one was there to sign for it so Coolead are just dragging their feet in paying me back my money, they also tried to make out that I paid less than the twenty seven pounds and fifteen pence and that after their made up return postage fee of £2.14 that the total was twenty seven pounds and fourteen pence and not the twelve pounds and forty five pence that I actually paid.
I have been in contact with Amazon throughout but it seems there is little they can do except send emails to Coolead asking them to do the right thing which Coolead ignore.

Edit 24/09/14
After being asked to wait a further 3 days by Amazon who again emailed Coolead to suggest that they refund my postage money which Coolead have totally ignored I was then told by Amazon there is nothing more they can do as return postage is not covered by the A to Z guarantee so now I am looking at the prospect of not getting my postage money back which is nearly half the cost of the optical drive, So be WARNED IF YOU DO ORDER FROM COOLEAD AND THE DRIVE DOES NOT WORK YOU WILL HAVE TO LOOSE MORE OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY RETURNING A FAULTY PRODUCT & in the process spend a few hours writing emails to both the seller and to Amazon who will help you get your initial outlay but cannot or will not help you get the postage back,
I have now decided that I will spend a maximum of fifteen pounds on items from China/ the far east as this is disposable amount for me anything more and it will not be bought as I have learnt my lesson in the time/money and hassle this particular item/seller has caused,
Also I would not buy anything off Coolead again even if they where the only seller left on Amazon their customer service is non existent!!!
BE WARNED GOOD AMAZON CUSTOMERS NOT ONLY DOES THIS BLU RAY PLAYER NOT PLAY BLU RAYS WHEN YOU TRY TO RETURN IT YOU WILL GET THE RUN AROUND AND SHORTCHANGED!!!!
go pay more for a branded Blu ray player(that can actually play blu ray discs) ,if that is the original reason for buying one,& from a reputable source that is preferably in the U.K.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't buy from overseas again., 31 Aug. 2014
Bought this and it won't play blu ray disks even after downloading software recommended by Coolead. Now am being offered a 30% refund which will still leave me with a non working drive. They seem very reluctant to send me a returns label for a full refund. I think I might have to go through Amazon to get it returned as these don't want to know.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great little CD/DVD drive and it looks just like the ..., 17 Jan. 2015
Mr. M. R. Hurt "Mikey" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great little CD/DVD drive and it looks just like the MacBook Air I bought it for. Audio CDs played and ripped to iTunes with no problem. However, film DVDs were a problem. All DVDs have to be locked to a region. The default for this drive was region 1, which is North America. Although we tried to change this to Region 2 (Europe and others), it would not save. You have to have a Region 2 DVD in the drive to do this incidentally. Most if not all DVDs allow you to change the region code before becoming permanently locked, about 5 or 6 times. When it didn't save to Region 2 a few times, I decided to use my PC laptop to do it and I am glad I did. I was able to change the drive to Region 2 and that was the last allowed change!

Once we did that and put it back on the MacBook Air, films auto-played without problem and it looks really good. I haven't tried burning CDs or DVDs but there won't be a problem.

If the region issue wasn't a problem, would have happily given this 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 July 2014
Good slimline DVD drive works well good price

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, does the job, 9 Aug. 2014
Great value, does the job, delivery was the best service I have ever had, just over one week from China. Many thanks Coolead . H Davy Cheshire UK

4.0 out of 5 stars It all seems to work fine — I just plugged it in and it worked, 23 Aug. 2014
It all seems to work fine — I just plugged it in and it worked. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that, as a Blu-Ray player, it can't actually play Blu-Ray discs on my PC without additional software, and I've been trying to find some such software I can download for free with only limited success. It thinks it's a Region 1 DVD player, and doesn't immediately recognise UK DVDs, although you can change that (there are a limited number of times you can make that change) but I haven't bothered.