5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing guide to creating a better life
Published 8 months ago by Pete M

1.0 out of 5 stars The dodgy church of NO
This book is a sad mixture of obvious and naive statements and a very poor attempt to build some kind of paradigm for self improvement. It's an extremely shallow work.

Published 2 months ago by Paolo

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing guide to creating a better life, 18 July 2014
Pete M (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a long time reader of James Altucher, and when I saw that his latest book was called "The Power of No", I was sceptical that it would contain enough unique content to support an entire book. I am glad to be proved utterly and completely wrong. The book is wonderfully written, covering an exhaustive list of how using "No" can improve our life. The points are brilliantly explained, supported with entertaining stories, and followed up with a list of practical exercises, which show us how to employ these strategies in our lives.

As an aside - James is of course an excellent writer, having honed his craft over a number of years. But the real surprise to me was the quality of his co-author's writing - Claudia Azula Altucher. Claudia's writing (the text indicates whether James or Claudia is writing, or both) is exceptional, and it is amazing that this is only her second book. Her writing is open, honest, funny and insightful, and adds another five stars to an already five star book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Liberating, very powerful., 22 July 2014
The power of no is an insightful read. It builds upon James's previous book choose yourself and clearly shows how saying no frees us up to when we should say yes. Claudia and James sections blend and work together perfectfully. The stories and examples are varied and interesting as well as incredibly useful. I am excited to practice the exercises in the book and harness the power of no in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is especially for you if you think you are good a saying NO! You'd be surprised by where you give your power away!, 19 Aug. 2014
I enjoyed this book so much I got the audio book version too. I love the "duo style" with both Claudia and James chiming in with their personal experiences and points of view as it really gives you a very intimate reading/listening experience that's rare to come by. Don't for a moment think this book is only for wishy-washy, wimpy types who say "Yes" to everything and have no boundaries in place whatsoever. This book is a great way of discovering where you are giving your power away because we all are - But more importantly, they give you real-life tested strategies (has anyone had more life/biz experiences than James?) for taking your personal power back and live more fully as a result. I've already recommended this book to several of my career change clients too, as it's so practical and honest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practice Saying No - It's not so hard, 13 Oct. 2014
Your kind act is a negative if you resent doing it out of duty or because you feel you have no other choice (you always have a choice), this books explains how saying No is actually a positive thing. I bought my sister's a copy of this book too, and hope it improves their lives for the better (demanding children, parents and grandkids etc.,)

1.0 out of 5 stars The dodgy church of NO, 30 Dec. 2014

The authors share some personal experiences regarding tough situations and challenges they've been through and give out some structured directions and advice regarding how they solved their problem.
Any concept, thought and reasoning is expressed and developed as if it were a 14 years old talking to a public of 12 years old.
The book is at times creepy in its resemblance to the kind of propaganda material that some improvised new church might circulate in order to recruit followers.

I guess the original intention of the authors was something like The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People which is instead an extraordinary, empowering, deep book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good, 31 Aug. 2014
I got this as I James's other book "Choose Yourself". I quite enjoyed it, though the other book was better in my opinion. He is quite an interesting character, and I use the word character deliberately. I heard him interviewed in a podcast and couldn't help but love the guy. As a result, until he writes a stinker, I'll keep buying whatever he writes

5.0 out of 5 stars Practice Saying No, 13 Mar. 2015
I absolutely loved this book. 'No' really is the most important word in our lives. It's funny how in so many ways we think it's a bad word and doesn't serve us anything. A lot of my beliefs were actually changed after reading this book. I would love to get a hard back and keep it with me so I can read it again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but lacking cohesion, 6 Sept. 2014
Interesting book with a tricky subject tackled by the authors in a variety of ways. The book doesn't seem to move toward a single conclusion, or tie everything discussed together in a memorable way, yet the materials offer some great insights. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from James Altucher!, 15 Sept. 2014
James Altucher's wisdom shines through with another great book, the Power of No.
Thanks James for another gem. I appreciate your weekly blogs too! Just what you need to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 1 Sept. 2014
Totally recommend this book,easy to read,full of very useful ideas,it can help you change your life if you want it too,I,m very glad I came across it