5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good in English or Welsh!
HINTERLAND Y Gwyll is the English-language version (with some subtitled Welsh).

Y GWYLL Hinterland is the Welsh-language version with complete English subtitles.

Is this so hard to understand?

If you got the wrong one Amazon will refund or replace. Simples!

As for me, I bought both as I really rate this show. I watched the BBC4...
Published 8 months ago by Ian S. Bolton

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't play
My DVD player is universal and plays both PAL and NTSC. But it won't play this DVD. I get a box that says my "BD" player is not configured for the internet. I don't give twll y llygodyn fawr dew for the internet connection. I just want to play the damn video.
Published 5 months ago by Mochyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good in English or Welsh!, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
HINTERLAND Y Gwyll is the English-language version (with some subtitled Welsh).

Is this so hard to understand?

If you got the wrong one Amazon will refund or replace. Simples!

As for me, I bought both as I really rate this show. I watched the BBC4 English version, but missed the 'truer' Welsh version's broadcast. Now I have it and can enjoy it in its native tongue (but subtitled a la Wallander et al).

Looking forward to series 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Celtic Noir!, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
Quite chilling and "close". It shows that within the UK, the Welsh can produce a drama which can be (depending on one's preference) just as good as English speaking ones.

In the episodes, one gets an insight in the rural Landscape and Hills around Aberystwyth on how certain close-knit Communities sticks together or remains hushed up, even if there are secrets and truths buried somewhere, waiting to surface and bring back some painful memory that nobody wants.

This is in my opinion one of THE best series ever to come out of the British Islands! :-) It is of an International Quality; one of an equal quality to that of the dramas from Europe that have been broadcast on BBC4; i.e. Wallander, Salamander, The Killing, Mammon, Spiral, to name but a few.

I look forward to another series and maybe a drama in Scottish-Gaelic that has a similar quality?

I watched the broadcast on BBC4 with snippets of Welsh but I thought I would rather have the original production from S4C. I'm so thrilled to have the original version entirely in Welsh :) Diolch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 29 Jun. 2014
R. Mole (SWEDEN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
Just received the Welsh version and it's just as good in either Welsh or English/Welsh. I'm lucky as I understand both languages and I have spent many years in Wales but to the untrained ear maybe the English with a heavy Welsh accent is hard to understand in the Anglicised version.

Overlooking that it's another great series from a genre of Welsh language programming that is developing (Cymru noir). Better than the recent S4C series of 35 diwrnod and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes this sort of series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Y Gwyll - yn taflu goleuni gwefreiddiol mewn i isfyd anhysbys Aberystwyth, 4 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
Wrth fy modd darganfod hyn ar S4C - rhaglen yr rwyf yn argymell yn cryf iawn.

Gyfres orau yn y Gymraeg fi di weld erioed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prynwch y DVD 'ma, 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
Ar ôl amser rhwystrogedig yn aros am y DVD yn Gymraeg, roedd o'n neilltuol o dda pan cyrraeddodd o.

Mae'r awrgylch yn fendigedig, ac yn iaith y nef roedd o yn fwy teimladol na yn y iaith fain.

Wrth gwrs rhaid i chi siarad Cymraeg eitha da, ac yn ysbeidiol mae'n anodd deall popeth, ond mae o'n wych.

Gobeithio fydd S4C yn cynhyrchio'r set nesa yn gyfymach na y set'ma.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't play, 22 Sept. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller stuff, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
Great thriller stuff ! Great storys, wonderfull actors and as a special bonus breathtaking landscapes. And I really like the sound of the actro

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't disappoint., 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
don't buy dvd because when it first came out it was only in Welsh , but watched it elsewhere (sorry amazon but I've bought almost every police show from you) it was so much better than my expectations. keeps you guessing who the killer is. also, the scenery is amazing. It may be the best thriller you've seen in a while. I think it was better than Broadchurch. Watch it/buy it. You won't be dissapointed. One more thing. They started filming two this month & are trying to get it out in early January.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Feb. 2015
Gwych!

1.0 out of 5 stars Total con, 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] (DVD)
Bought Hinterland on DVD because it said language is English/Welsh but it is only the English version. Now two weeks later the Welsh version is released. This is what I wanted but no way am I paying out another £14 now. Siomedic iawn!!!!

Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD]
Y Gwyll (Hinterland) [DVD] by Ed Thomas (DVD - 2014)