5.0 out of 5 stars Check "Other Sellers on Amazon" on the Left!
At this time (16-September-2014) the price you see is £281.73 from Intel. On the sidebar, under Other Sellers on Amazon, Amazon is selling this for £249.00. The add to basket option at the top is not from Amazon!

Published 6 months ago by Qi-rui Chen

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped, over-priced and a pain in the neck to get this new intel rig working
Okay, some people (intel fanboys!) may not like what I have to say but it is what it is. Only last week (19/09/14), I built my new intel rig (4790K and Asus Z97WS motherboard purchased from Dabs), although it took me two days to get the bloody thing working. I will come back to this later. It was with a heavy heart that I decided to 'upgrade' my trusty and reliable AMD...
Published 6 months ago by Canopus72

5.0 out of 5 stars Check "Other Sellers on Amazon" on the Left!, 16 Sept. 2014
Qi-rui Chen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150) (Personal Computers)

When I purchased this processor, there was only £10 difference between it and the 4770k. The 4780k was also about the same price. I chose the 4790k because the benchmarks were slightly higher than the 4780k and at roughly the same price, it was a very good deal.

So far the 4790k has been of no trouble whatsoever, I installed it into a z87 motherboard and was able to update the motherboard to recognise Devil's Canyon without a problem.

Currently I am still using the stock fan, which is a bit loud but it has done a good job keeping my CPU idling at 35 degrees when in normal use, and under 65 when playing casual games. When using prime95 the cpu temp rose to 85 degrees but stayed constant even after a day of prime95 stress testing.

Currently I am still using the integrated graphics card, which is actually more powerful that I thought, I am able to run minecraft at 60fps with all the settings on max. Starcraft on the other hand maintained a constant 30fps on normal settings and watch dogs at 30ftps on lower settings.

Overall this is a very good processor and hopefully the price will drop soon with the release of Broadwell and Skylake.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hot processor!, 15 Feb. 2015
The 4790K processor: It does what it says on the tin and with a decent (Arctic 13) cooler will run all normal programs without problems.
Give it a burst of Prime95 stress test and it can get very hot indeed (over 90c) No overclocking involved, just stock speed.
The 4790K is well known for being difficult to keep cool under heavy load and I can confirm this. If you buy, then be prepared to shell out for
a decent cooler as well. I will not overclock this processor at all due to the risk of overheating. My video editing progam renders to give all 8
threads at 82 percent average loading and the temperature is in the safe zone (I can hear the fan speed up). Just as well it is not 100 percent.
I also run a 2700K on a second machine with identical cooler and overclocked to 4GHz that matches the performance of the 4790K very
closely. This will take the same Prime95 stress test without getting anywhere near to an excessive temperature (under 70c).
This is how a top of the range processor should be - able to take a beating without getting too hot.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would love to give it a 5* review, but.., 5 Dec. 2014
It has an annoying problem. I've only had it running for a day, while stress testing my build I discovered that core temperatures were going up to 100 Celsius. Yikes.. Long story short, lots of "it's supposed to be within melting temperature range" comments later I found this solution: https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032

If you suffer from the same problem then get Intel XTU and copy the settings seen in the second post. Now it runs at around 70 degrees celsius even at 100% load.

I know it's supposed to be overclocked, but this just means that default settings aren't correctly discovered and implemented by the motherboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chip vastly improved over the 4770k, 27 Mar. 2015
I have had this nearly a month now and it replaces a 4770k which in itself replaces a fx8350 (which is still in use).
I don't care that much about benchmarks because in a way they are artificial use age meters. As much as I loved my AMD these intel chips do seem overall smother and more stable to run, that is what I most care about.

This is the chip the 4770k should have been it seems to run better and cooler at any given clock speed, however after some basic tests the OC'ing head room is actully less than the 4770k but it will run faster. Got mine at 4.7ghz at 1.3v on a h105 cooler and I am pretty happy. 4.8 however seems like the 4770k was at 4.6 a tiny bit unsaable even at 1.35v, so I left it at 4.7ghz.

To be honest if I didn't have plans to use the older 4770k in another system I would probably not upgraded. After all I have only gained 200mhz but at a lower temp I have gained longevity I guess. But even at the same clock settings this chip still seems better.

If you are thinking about getting a 4770k or this I would recommend this one hand over fist. Hype aside it feels like this is a far superior refresh. I use my computer for quite a few hours every day, day in day out and this has improved my overall experiance to no end. But the silicon lottery has yet again dashed my hopes of a 5ghz special.

Now running at normal speeds( like to keep a warranty for now) and still it seems quicker than my 4770k which was running 100mhz faster so it must be down to heat dispersing faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy smokes batman, a chip worth talking about!, 12 Nov. 2014
All I can say is wow! A true multicore CPU if ever I've seen one. I've just upgraded to this chip from an amd phenom ii x6 1055t, which was overclocked to 3.95ghz 24hour prime 95 stable, from its base clock of 2.8ghz. I also upgraded to an Asus tuf Sabretooth mark 1 z97 chipset motherboard as well. I kept the same ram which was some cheap as chips 8gb Kingston hyper blu x, clocked at 1500mhz for stability. Now I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a massive difference in performance. Clock speeds roughly same and more cores on amd chip, I thought. Well how naive was I?
Even at stock speeds I was seeing nearly double the power. Using intelburn test on my old OC'd chip I was getting 70gflops. With this chip and a cheeky overclock to 4.6ghz and ram clocked up to 1866mhz I was getting 120gflops! Superpi on my old amd chip would take 17-18 seconds to 1 million decimal places. On the intel it was taking 7 seconds. All this with my same old ram from 3 years ago. Windows takes seconds to boot and load my favoured start up software. Games run super sweet with no lag and extra FPS noticed on all my games, coupled with a Radeon R9 290, at full settings all round. Simply just blown away with this chip. Sure you can probably say you can buy cheaper chips, or get more bang for buck. Or that there are better overclockable chips available. But when I looked at a 4770k, the price was a tenner difference. I had also heard of thermal issues with other haswell intel chips. I wanted a reliable fast chip and by the power of computer gaming gods, that's what I got. The fact I could get a little bit more power just by getting some newer faster ram, makes me even more impressed. I genuinely don't think I'll be needing an upgrade for quite some time. I managed to pick up a OEM version from overclockers.co.uk for 249 quid. Not a bad price for such a powerful chip I thought, others may disagree mind. But it is simply a case of each to their own. For me you can't go wrong with this beauty. Buy buy buy you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD 8350fx to 4790k, 18 Mar. 2015
Swapped from AMD 8350fx to this bad boy and if your a gamer and asking your self if this is worth it then yes it is worth every penny and ill tell you why.

My games are now more stable at lower FPS. you gain about 2-3 fps at max but I have gained 10-30FPS at minimum FPS.

I'll give you an example with one game that is very popular League of legends. team fights my fps would drop to 80 fps (I have a 144mhz monitor) now with this new CPU I NEVER drop below 143fps its amazing.

I ordered two of these first one was faulty it would hit 80c with water coolant. amazon is amazing with there replacements and refunds so I bought two with out sending the 1st one back and got refunded no questions asked.

I highly recommend using water cooler for this chip no less its very hot at idle it runs 45c and once the thermal paste sets in I get 35c idle.

Make sure the cooler is tied onto the motherboard properly as the mounts for these chips on motherboards can not make proper contact with the copper plate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and quick review, I got this to replace ..., 16 Jan. 2015
Simple and quick review, I got this to replace a i7 920 and its an incredible change, the performance of my rig has shot up. I use it in combination with a 670GTX and I wasn't sure but now I know the 920 was causing a lot of bottlenecks. I was getting 12 FPS in Battlefield 4 and now I'm getting 60 - 90.

Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contains your standard box, CPU and stock cooler, 5 Dec. 2014
I don't know what the difference between this product and the main one on Amazon is, but this one is excellent, too. For anyone wondering like me, the box includes the normal CPU, instructions/warranty booklet and the stock cooler with pre-applied thermal compound.

Pros:
- (Specific Amazon purchase) I chose to buy this product over the 'main' one because that one wasn't in stock and this was available for just £2 more. I don't know what the difference is, it provided everything I needed for my build (the actual processor and the stock cooler for a test-run).
- Blazing fast. I don't know what else you could expect from an Intel i3/5/7 processor. It runs cooler than the i7-4770k.

Cons:
- Most likely needs an aftermarket cooler. I'm currently using a H100i because I didn't want to cheap out on cooling such a high end processor.

ATTENTION: MINE RUNS AT 22 DEGREES IDLE.
I see there are negative reviews regarding the temperature, which could just be a faulty product (which happens to all products) or it's not being cooled properly. I didn't clear the thermal compound properly from when I installed the stock cooler first, and my H100i still keeps it at incredible temperatures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awakening the devil, 8 Mar. 2015
Delivered on time, works great. The temperature of this cpu can hit around 60/70 degrees even with water cooling at times when loading high spec games, but even so it has yet to show any other signs of consern. It's very fast, and has not shown any problems thus far.

5.0 out of 5 stars An i5 4690K would have suited my needs but they ..., 28 Jan. 2015
An i5 4690K would have suited my needs but they were out of stock so I paid extra to get this. Performance wise for gaming it isnt going to make much difference for me over the i5 but in terms of the gaming - this chip it perfectly suited.