This is a good looking product. The blue lights make it easy to find in the dark. Unfortunately, for me it wasn't suitable for my requirements.

I needed something to keep my Nokia Lumia 1020 charged whilst using satnav.

Published 5 months ago by Mr. Brian J. Bates

2.0 out of 5 stars Good charging current but poor RF suppression
I tried this charger on my Samsung S3 on which I have a small app which tells me battery charging state.
It was reading 1000ma which is as good as it gets.
I set off and switched on the radio but the station was dead. I tried another station, a local one with slightly better success.
I arrived at my destination and scanned for stations finding only 2...
Published 6 months ago by Strat

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product, but it won't keep a Lumia 1020 powered with satnav, 24 Oct. 2014
Mr. Brian J. Bates "bjb_tak" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: InfoTechnica Heavy Duty 4.2A 21W Compact Dual USB Rapid Car charger with LED indicators for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air, mini, Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy S5 S4, Note 3 2; HTC and many more USB powered smartphones, tablets and car electronics. (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I needed something to keep my Nokia Lumia 1020 charged whilst using satnav.

Unfortunately for that specific purpose. this product did not deliver. In the interests of fairness, however, I plugged in a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with an app that shows the charge being drawn (I haven't got such an App for my Lumia) and it was registering around 1.6 amps which In would imagine is more than sufficient. If the Nokia could draw that power from this charger, I suspect it would also be sufficient so I suspect that it is a feature of the Lumia 1020 to not draw a rapid charge unless it is plugged into certain "known" hardware (e.g. Nokia branded hardware? - Just my guess as I have no way of testing this theory).

So I cannot really blame this item as it doesn't claim specific compatibility with the Nokia, although it does claim rapid charging of Windows Phone so maybe it works for some but not others. Hopefully I'm being fair on this product but also helping to inform other Lumia users.

All I can say is if you are looking for something to keep up with a Lumia 1020 (and possibly other similar phones in the range) then probably you need to look elsewhere. Remember, that unlike voltage, the current output from the charger basically tells you what the charger is capable of at peak, but if the device does not "choose" to draw that current, then there is nothing the charger can do about it. I liken it to the charger being a tap. There is a maximum rate of flow available from the tap, but it is up to the user (in this case the phone) to turn the tap on full.!!

I ended up purchasing a Nokia DC-20 Dual USB Car Charger that I saw recommended elsewhere. It only claims 1A output (unlike the 2.1A claimed for this item) but I am pleased to say that with the DC-20 my Lumia's battery is at 100% even after an hour and a half of driving with turn-by-turn GPS and music playing constantly, and from only having 90% at the start of the journey.

Incidentally, the Galaxy Note 2 app showed exactly the same charge being drawn (around 1.6A) when it was connected to the Nokia DC-20 charger, whereas for another unbranded car adapter I tried, it registered only about 500mA, so I think this product may well work fine for other phones, just not mine! I hope that helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good charging current but poor RF suppression, 4 Sept. 2014
It was reading 1000ma which is as good as it gets.
I arrived at my destination and scanned for stations finding only 2.
I Goggled transmitter status thinking there might be a problem but no, there wasn't.
I then unplugged the charger and the radio burst into life.
I plugged the charger back in and the station died.
I later went through a diagnostic procedure of swapping chargers and cables and came to the conclusion that the charger was faulty.
I bit more Googling and it is a known problem with various car chargers that have poor RF suppression and literally act like a strong local radio station drowning out all others.
As a charger it works fine as long as I don't want to listen to the radio.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible with DAB radio, 12 Aug. 2014
Bought this to charge my phone in the car. The first time I used it I noticed that my car DAB radio ( Pure Highway) stopped working a few seconds after I started charging my phone. At first I didn't associate the two incidents but when I unplugged my phone from the charger the radio miraculously started working again. After further trials I've noticed that as soon as I charge my phone the DAB signal drops from 5 bar to 1 bar. I'm not sure exactly what's going on as the DAB radio is wired into the car's electrics not the USB charger but the radio is only about 0.5m away from the USB charger so presumably the USB charger is interferring with the DAB signal. So if you don't have a DAB radio then this is a decent charger, bur if you do the steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good charger, provides quick charge, 8 Aug. 2014
The charger arrived quickly and in good condition.

The charger lights up blue when you plug it into the socket, so you can tell that it's working, which is useful. It quick charges my phone, iPad and Nexus 7.

I've seen a few people leaving reviews saying that the charger doesn't quick charge their device. That all depends on the usb cable that you are using. If you use a charging (i.e. non data) usb cable you'll get the best charging rate that your device can support.

I use it to charge my phone whilst using it as a Sat nav. In an hour of driving (and using my phone as a Sat nav) it charged my Nexus 5 phone from 10% to 80%. I'm very happy with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Item was purchased late Tues night to which we received delivery Friday morning which is fantastic as we live in the Highlands, 12 July 2014
Product is just what we require to charge both phones or tablet and phone. Item was purchased late Tues night to which we received delivery Friday morning which is fantastic as we live in the Highlands, great service great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - WOW product, 8 July 2014
Anton Koutevsky (LAS VEGAS, NV, US) - See all my reviews
I love it! When I recieve it I dont have patience to try it .. and WOW amazing product. It's charges my tablet and smartphone at the same time without any problem. Speedy charging for my two babies :) Also have belkin and iluv but they connot charge my equipment because can supply only 850 mAh.. Now my problem is solved and I'm happy. Recomend this product to any one who wants speed and quality charging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Nice and neat, 12 Mar. 2015
Great. Nice and neat, if you have to plug it into an awkward place. Provides the power you need for using your smart phone as a satnav. However, you do also need to use a cable that enables the phone to get all this power, ie a genuine cable rather than something of unknown origin. The way you check whether your phone is receiving enough power is to download a free app like Galaxy Charging Current Lite (for Samsung Galaxy), which does nothing but tell you the current your phone is receiving. It needs to be getting 1 amp (= 1000 milliamps or ma), otherwise the phone battery will lose power and may switch itself off before you reach your destination. Check both on first connecting the phone and after a couple of minutes, as the phone will reduce the current if it is not happy with the cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality product, 30 July 2014
This is just what I needed to either charge my sat nav and phone or 2 phones at the same time. Well made product with a very nice blue glow when charging. Unlike reviews for other similar products this one fits nice and snug in the 12v socket in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suitably impressed!, 3 Nov. 2014
It arrived sealed and well packaged. Works well in my car (Qashqui) and is less intrusive than the standard shaped 'chicken thigh' design. It does not get in the way as much, because it is slimmer and shorter. It has two USB sockets and harges well, especially when using the Sat Nav/ Maps programme continuously on my android phone. The qualilty is sturdier than the car charger bought for my ~Samsung phone. It also has a circlular ID light which is clear and non-distracting. As long as there is a USB fitting which requires no more than 12V it will work. A word of advice - store a dedicated usb lead with the charger. It is a neat little item, that does as it says on the packet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great charger!, 9 July 2014
This car charger is a robust charger which does exactly what it says on the tin. Certainly as most people now have smart phones this charger allows two phones to be charged at the same time.