I got this toothbrush for my six year old. I didn't expect it to be very different from her electrical toothbrush. I was wrong!

Published 1 month ago by PD

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive for what it is.
I got this for my son who is 4 and a bit. I've always struggled with feeling like I've done a good job at brushing his teeth and felt this could help.

First impressions - it is bigger than imagined, particularly being for children. I have an electric toothbrush and this is bigger than mine!

Initially my son wasn't too impressed, however the option of...
Published 22 days ago by Peter R

5.0 out of 5 stars The rubber material used ensures that it is easy to hold and doesn't hurt their mouth at all, 18 Aug 2014
PD (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6311/07 Rechargeable Toothbrush for Kids (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This toothbrush is perfectly made for children. The rubber material used ensures that it is easy to hold and doesn't hurt their mouth at all. It doesn't make much noise and unlike with her electrical toothbrush there isnt toothpaste flying everywhere from strong vibrations.

She can lie the toothbrush flat to put on her toothpaste which is really good. At night I usually brush her teeth to ensure she cleans them properly. Using this brush is great, it lets you know when thirty seconds have passed so that you don't just brush the same part of you mouth for too long. It switches itself off after two minutes.

It came with as selection of stickers that are attractive. The stickers were easy to put on and have remained stuck to the toothbrush very well. I did have to buy a shaver adapter plug as that is how you charge the brush, we dont have a shaver socket.

I am so impressed with this brush that I will be buying my older children a toothbrush head each for this brush, which works out at £6 each, which I think is reasonable as it really ensures clean teeth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for little mouths, 13 Aug 2014
Tom Douglas "TD" (Marlow) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd been using a Colgate rotary kids electric toothbrush on my 3 year old, but the large head makes it a bit of an ordeal (for both of us) when trying to clean the back teeth, especially the upper back teeth.

The Kids Sonicare has no such trouble with a longer narrower head, even the adult version is a better fit, and the small kids version is perfect. And it is nice to know that we can move up to the standard kids head, and then the adult head as he grows.

As with all Sonicare brushes, it does tickle a lot, and it took a few days for him to get used to it.

In the morning I let him clean his own teeth now, under supervision, and do it myself in the evening. With this slim head he is able to clean all of his teeth, at least when his mind doesn't wander.

The added bonus is the customisable handle, using stickers which so far seem to cope well with water.

Happy boy, happy dad. Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great investment for young teeth, 24 Aug 2014
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've had several Sonicare toothbrushes in our house, and this one designed especially for children between the ages of 4 and 10 is another good one. My dentist thinks that our dental health has improved with the use of these brushes, and my son, aged 8 was keen to have an electric toothbrush of his own. This own comes with a set of eight stickers so it can be personalised according to the tastes of the user, and it also makes sounds so that you know when you've brushed each section of your mouth for the right amount of time. The head supplied is quite small although you can get larger heads that will also fit as you child grows up. There is also a charging indicator light - the initial charge takes quite a long time, but once fully charged, battery life is excellent and it will let you know through a beep and light indicator when you need to charge it again. You'll only need to do this about every 3 to 4 weeks if the brush is used twice a day. As a bonus, this toothbrush uses the same sort of charger as my adult Sonicare brush, so we only need to have one charger out on the bathroom shelf, so a bit less clutter. You'll need a shaving socket in your bathroom or else an adapter to turn an ordinary electric socket into a shaving socket. Most importantly, the young user of this brush is very proud of it, and it has made him take brushing his teeth very seriously. He found it easy to use and adapted well to the idea of letting the brush do the work and only moving it slowly, doing one section of his mouth at a time. The handle is partly rubberised in texture which makes it easy to grip without slipping for small hands, and because I know the Sonicare brand, I'm confident that his teeth are being well looked after. All in all, this is a great children's toothbrush, and definitely an investment I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best toothbrush you can get for your kids., 21 Aug 2014
Andrew Kerr "Alabony" (Dunfermline, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 8-year-old daughter has almost been spoiled by the selection of toothbrushes she's had in the past few years. I got a very good tooth brush, and gave her my old mid-range Braun electric toothbrush, which actually really encouraged her to brush her teeth well. She then inherited her mum's slightly better Braun toothbrush because SHE got a new one!

Despite these good brushes, however, and despite my daughter's diligent efforts to keep on top of it, there was a persistent bit of tartar that kept building up on her bottom two middle teeth. She (and we) have been really aware of this issue for about the past 9 months. Even after descaling by the dentist, these bits of tartar came back after a few weeks.

Within a week of starting to use this Sonicare toothbrush, it has gone. I put this down to the significantly higher frequency of the Sonicare brush. The idea of the brush is that it vibrates so fat, you get an element of sonic cleaning too. What is beyond doubt, anyway, is that it's very good at keeping teeth clean, and also very easy to use.

When you open the box, you find a selection of stickers. There are 8 custom-size stickers that fit very neatly on the handle, on the side with the buttons - a decent selection of smart and cool stickers for boys and girls alike. There is also a sheet of other stickers that seem to serve no purpose other than for your child to play with. They don't look like they'd stay on the brush well anyway, and (maybe I'm a bit strict!) I believe that if you position your toothbrush as something not to be played with, your child will respect it more and look after it better. My little girl picked her favourite 'proper' sticker for the handle and I stuck it on carefully, and that's the extent of our decoration!

Otherwise, there's not much else to report in terms of contents. A neatly-shaped and compact charging dock, and a little clear plastic cover for the head when travelling (which look a wee bit flimsy and brittle if I'm brutally honest).

There's nothing flimsy about the tooth brush in use, however. There are two simple buttons, both nice and sturdy, with a very pleasing action. The bottom one toggles between gentle and firm brushing (the idea being that the gentle mode is for younger children - 4-6 years old, notionally, and the firmer one for older children). My daughter's very happy with the firm mode anyway. The top button starts the brush, and it's remarkably quiet in use. There are gentle but very sonorous and cheery sounds which indicate progress through the 2-minute programme. These have been great for our wee girl, actually, because she sometimes would forget which 30-second bleep she'd heard on her old one.

The other thing worth mentioning, I think, is that this Sonicare is a really good size for a child. In theory, Sonicare seem to indicate it's suitable for 4 and up, but I suspect a 4-year-old might find it a bit big and difficult to handle. From 5ish would seem more sensible to me, but it's the perfect size for my daughter, and she loves using it.

All in all, I'm so impressed that when my Colgate ProClinical toothbrush wears out, I think I'll get myself a Sonicare one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars No return to manual brushing, 20 Aug 2014
JB (Chudleigh, Devon) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the latest addition of the Sonicare for kids toothbrush and in my view is better looking than the old one, with set of 8 rather nice stickers that will appeal to both boys and girls. There are also 20 smaller stickers and lots of star stickers (presumably for rewards for cleaning teeth properly) ... both my daughters (7 and 4) love stickers.

The brush requires an initial charge of 24 hours. It's supplied with a 2 pin plug for bathroom shaver sockets, so an adaptor will be necessary if charging from a 3-pin socket. The brush lets the user know if it needs recharging by beeping 3 times and the battery light flashes for 30 seconds. It can be kept permanently on its charging base, but one full charge will last 3 weeks (2 x 2 minutes per day) so great for holidays if you'd rather not take the charger.

My daughters have been using a sonicare brush for over a month now and I have to say it has been a great success. Prior to using sonicare, we had all sorts of problems getting the girls to brush their teeth for anything longer than 30 seconds (particularly the youngest daughter). We tried brushing with them, doing it for them, letting them choose their own brushes and even trying a brush-along app on my phone; no lasting success.

Since using the sonicare we had no problems at all. This brush has one head aimed at children aged 7+, so if one has a younger child a second smaller brush will be needed straightaway. Incidentally, if brushing twice a day for 2 minutes it's recommended that the brush head is replaced every three months (there are indicators in the bristles to remind when the brush should be replaced). There is an older version of this brush available, and not quite as good-looking in my opinion, but currently it's cheaper and comes with a 4+ and a 7+ head.

I rather like the `Anti roll bar' which allows children to apply the toothpaste using both hands ... all you need is somewhere flat to lay the toothbrush down horizontally. The brush is best powered-on with the brush-head in the mouth, otherwise the intense vibration flicks the paste on the floor (or on their clothes); I found it best to squirt the toothpaste right down into the bristles rather than letting it sit on the surface of the brush (which is how the girls apply the paste).

The brush makes pleasant musical tones for quadrant-shifting and the reward tune at the end have all helped. The brush switches off automatically at end of cycle. There are several smart features such as increasing the brushing time and power intensity over time, which has definitely helped our girls get used to the brush.

Overall, if one is considering buying a sonicare for children for the first time I'd say without hesitation; go ahead. I'd be surprised if you (and the users) weren't very impressed. There is a 28 day return if not 100% satisfied and a two-year warranty. Oh! and it's safe on braces (and filings, crowns and veneers too).

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD TOOTHBRUSH FOR CHILDREN BUT THE STICK ON DESIGNS ARE FIDDLY TO PLACE, 8 Aug 2014
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a fan of Phillips Sonicare for a number of years and I feel that as electric toothbrushes go they have the edge on other manufacturers. In particular they clean without being too harsh or without you feeling your gums are being rubbed away.

This tooth brush is aimed at children over 4, it is supposed to appeal because it has some snazzy stick on designs, 8 in all. Anything that encourages good tooth hygiene is no bad thing. I have reviewed a number of Sonicare toothbrushes in the past and have usually given a full 5 star rating.

The toothbrush is grippy and a little chunkier than the adult Sonicare brushes I use. It is also around half an oz lighter in weight and slightly quieter in operation.

The toothbrush is good in that it is excellent for cleaning teeth and that it has the added bonus of a stick on design which my 9 year old really likes. My 5 year old daughter now wants one, but I think that is because there is also a pink sticker.

However, the stick on design is a real fiddle to stick on correctly without air pockets forming under the sticker. First it has to be stuck onto the face plate and then the face plate has to be stuck on to the front of the toothbrush. There has got to be a better way to design this. I just think that to keep costs down it has been done this way. How long the glues will hold is debatable especially considering the toothbrush will be abused with slobbery spit and toothpaste, then regularly washed down with water.

There are also a number of smaller stickers that can be used to jazz up the design.

It is a minor irritation but I think the sticker will not last as long as it should and start to peel off at the edges, so keep the spares handy if you want to swap them over. If you have two children and you are used to swapping brush heads there may not be agreement on the sticker design which in turn may lead to arguments.

On the plus side it comes with a 2 year warranty and I can confirm that Phillips and Amazon honour this guarantee. I had a Sonicare toothbrush fail a month short of the two year warranty and it was replaced without a quibble.

In conclusion I still think that Sonicare products are the best electric toothbrushes on the market. However because the central theme of this product is the appealing stick on designs, the fact that the stickers are awkward to place correctly and have a debatable lifetime loses it one star. Also, if you have two children they may squabble over which design to use so you may have to buy two to placate them. My daughter aged 5 insists she will never use it now it has had a blue design stuck on in. My son on the other hand is very happy.

It might seem like an expensive purchase but the benefits of an electric toothbrush far outweigh the cost. The fact that I use one, well if it is good enough for me it is good enough for my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and fun to use. Works really well., 5 Aug 2014
Scampo "Steve C" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already use a Philips Sonicare brush (Philips Sonicare HX6511/43) and my older son uses a Braun Electric toothbrush (•Braun Oral-B PRO 4000 CrossAction). This Philips children's brush works, so it seems to me, identically to the adults' version. The vibrating brush head and the toothbrush itself are basically the same, except that the body of the toothbrush is chunkier (and rather coolly decorated) making it easier for a child to grip it.

Philips seem to have recognised that for some users a small issue with all sonic brushes is that on full power, they can tickle your gums in such a way that, for some users presumably, it makes cleaning less easy. In my case, I found that this required nothing more than a bit of care with where I put the vibrating brush in my mouth and experience. For me, my adults Philips brush cleans second to none. I am convinced my teeth are cleaner using this brush. I have to add that my son prefers his Braun toothbrush with its multi action rotate and sideways brushing but for me the Philips seems more aggressive in its cleaning but without being overly so. My teeth simply feel cleaner. My nephew, who is using the "Kids" version is enjoying the experience and, looking at his teeth, it works well. He says that his teeth feel very smooth and clean - that is my feeling, too. It is as if you have been to the dentist's for a descaling and polish.

There are other aspects to the Philips brushes that I like - and more specifically the brush heads. The head on the Philips is longer and less bulky than the Braun equivalent, and I find that this makes it easier to reach into various areas of the mouth; also there is no "mechanism" at the brush "end", thus there is no liquid or toothpaste "going" anywhere "inside" the brush head, down the inside of it and into the handle mechanism. The Philips handle remains dry and the brush head cleans easily - much like a manual toothbrush.

These things are not cheap, but I feel they are worth paying extra for. The product is very well put together and looks as if it would easily stand being dropped, as is bound to happen. It works really well, is fun for kids to use and is easy to keep hygienically clean. It gets my vote.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive for what it is., 8 Sep 2014
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Initially my son wasn't too impressed, however the option of four stickers definitely helped to make it 'his' so I really like that. THere is a choice between surfer dude, princess and two generic water/ocean stickers.

The noise it makes isn't loud enough to scare the children, which is good.

It seems to barely vibrate, so it wont do anywhere near as much cleaning and as adult electric toothbrhush. Also, because he keeps pulling it out of his mouth, the vibration means that it sometimes sprays a few dots of toothpaste everywhere e.g. I came to work this morning with some toothpaste spray on my trousers!

VALUE FOR MONEY

Is it value for money? I would say definitely not. If I were you, I would buy the cheaper electric toothbrushes that you get in boots. They are smaller, cheaper and I suspect, given what this one does, just as effective. I bought an adult electric toothbrush that is much more effective, smaller and half the price!

Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kids toothbrush., 26 Aug 2014
Mr. G. Battle (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a gift for my five year old, who has a decent concept of dental care, however finds solo brushing tricky. The experience she has with this toothbrush encourages her to use the required amount of time, dedicating time to all four sides of her teeth (upper, back and front, bottom, back and front). The handy buzz (common in most of these devices) is a great way to embed decent dental practice at any age reminding the user to move on to another part of the mouth.

The initial setting is very short, ideal for very small mouths, and I found the second setting gave enough time for a solid clean. It's very easy to clean and maintain. The first setting is useful to allow familiarity with the technology.

The stickers applied easily (although I bodged it twice - and they still stuck) and have not peeled or become dog-eared al all. There is quite a range of stickers, so of they do become damaged due to little fingers, they can be replaced. The set includes material suited to boys and girls.

The battery length is great too, I haven't needed to recharge it since it arrived (she only uses it in the morning).

This is a great starter to get children in to the higher end of tooth-care.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little gadget, 13 Aug 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little gadget. I've always resisted electric toothbrushes for kids as being not worth the money and rather gimmicky. But this has changed my mind.

I love the fact that it has a timer set to go off every thirty seconds for two minutes to make sure that a) the children move the brush around their mouth to the appropriate areas and b) they actually brush for the whole two minutes without skipping.

I would have preferred the brush to have come with more than one head if I'm honest. I have three children and rather than saw the toothbrush into thirds I had to order a packet of two more heads to make sure this got a fair trial amongst them. At nearly £17 for two extra heads it isn't cheap, so I am really expecting these heads to last a long time.

I liked the fact you could custom decorate the body of the toothbrush. It made the children feel that it was really theirs. I know it's a small thing, but in matters pragmatic and/or traditionally dull, it is these little touches that make a difference. I was also amazed that they actually agreed on the stickers to decorate it with. I had envisioned a fight breaking out.