5.0 out of 5 stars A great compilation of summer music, mostly from the 70s
Five years before this was released, a similar type of compilation was released titled Jackie - Summer Special. Although I expected this to avoid the tracks featured on the earlier compilation and it mostly does so, there are a few repeated tracks - about four or five.

Published 3 months ago by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots Of Tracks NOT Original Hits! Sorry To Say.
Published 1 day ago by Jack Pripusich

5.0 out of 5 stars A great compilation of summer music, mostly from the 70s, 30 Jun 2014
Amazon Customer "Pete the music fan" (Leicester England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jackie - Long Hot Summer (Audio CD)

I'm not going to pretend that I think every track is wonderful, but I enjoy the vast majority. There are songs that I can't remember hearing before, but I probably did hear them back in the 70s. There are other songs that I do remember but which are only now making their debut in my CD collection. There are also plenty of tracks that I already have elsewhere, but I don't mind having an extra version.

My favorites here are mostly tracks that I already own via albums by the individual artists, but also include The pushbike song (The Mixtures), From New York To L.A. (Patsy Gallant) and Paloma Blanca (George Baker Selection).

For absolute perfection, I would replace a few (not many) tracks, but this is near enough to justify five stars. It's a fantastic collection of summer music from the seventies, with just the occasional earlier (Brian Hyland) or later (Madness) track.

Tracks

18. Forever And Ever - Slik
19. Now That We've Found Love [Single Version] - Third World
20. Howzat - Sherbet
21. Seaside Shuffle - Terry Dactyl and The Dinosaurs

4.0 out of 5 stars 'MANY WELL KNOWN AND MUCH LOVED NUMBERS FROM YESTERDAY TO ENJOY', 30 Jun 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jackie - Long Hot Summer (Audio CD)
For me, girlie magazine aside, these compilations are all about the content and memories.
The 3-CD Compilation is largely made up of 70's sounds with one or two outside the 70's
zone, okay it would be fair to say there is some teeny stuff on-board from that era, but
overall the Collection is jam-packed with many great sounds from those times, there are
several pure pop sounds along with a touch of glam-rock to enjoy.
All the numbers on the CD's are well known Hits, I will list a few tracks from each of the
CD's to demonstrate the memories harboured on-board........on the first disc......'Queen'
--'You're My Best Friend'........'T.Rex' --'Get It On'........'Alice Cooper' --'Schools Out'.......
'The Floaters' --'Float On'.......'Typically Tropical' --'Barbados'......and.......'Clout' --Substitute'
....just some of the many great sounds on disc one.......disc two.......'Donna Summer' --
'I Feel Love'........'Diana Ross' --'Touch Me In The Morning'........'Bobby Goldsboro' --'Summer
The First Time''.......'Slade' --'Mama Weer All Crazee Now' (of course spelling the words deliberately
incorrectly became a recognised trate with 'Noddy Holder' songs).......'Elkie Brooks' --Sunshine
After The Rain'......and........'Guys 'n' Dolls' --'There's A Whole Lot of Loving' .......again simply
a sample of the Twenty One tracks on-board disc two.......on disc three......'The Beach Boys'
--'Sail On Sailor'.......'Bryan Hyland' --'Sealed With A Kiss'........'The Real Thing' --'You To Me Are
Everything'.......'Thin Lizzy' --'The Boys Are Back In Town'........'Terry Jacks' --'Seasons In The Sun'
'Leo Sayer' --'Moonlighting'.......and.......'Sherbet' --'Howzat' ......again just a few of the memories
to enjoy on disc three...........I have plucked just half a dozen or so numbers from each of the three
discs to act as a guide as to whether or not you'd wish to check out the complete play-list.
For me, it's all about listening to many sounds I remember from back then packed onto three discs.
I'm sure many, like myself will know the songs on-board and like myself would have bought many
of them on 'Vinyl' .....Hope this is helpful for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winning line up, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Jackie - Long Hot Summer (Audio CD)
Firstly I have read the previous comments and agree that some of the tracks have ended up on other Jackie albums, I suppose when you have released so many issues of the Jackie brand it will happen, but you can forgive them for that due to the fact that there are so many great memories on here. After all music takes us back to a time in our life when we can remember different passages of time, and for me the 70s were a time of discovery when I didn't have the pressures of mortgages etc. All I used to do was listen to music and look forward to hearing my favorite tracks go up the charts on a Tuesday afternoon. My favorite tracks on here are so many to mention and its the rarer tracks that don't appear readily on compilation albums very often that I enjoyed listening to mainly - From New York To L.A. - Patsy Gallant, Sunshine After The Rain - Elkie Brooks, Touch Too Much - The Arrows to name a few. What I like about the Jackie brand is the varied track selection. Yes you get lots of cheese but that was what the 70s was all about, but also you get some real classics. You just have to take the rough with the smooth and the 70s decade really had both in abundance. Overall I think this compilation has captured the decade perfectly - They really have done it again!

Disc: 1

20. Howzat - Sherbet
21. Seaside Shuffle Terry Dactyl & The Dinosaurs

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots Of Tracks NOT Original Hits! Sorry To Say., 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Jackie - Long Hot Summer (Audio CD)
Let me say first how much I love the Jackie collections. I own The first two awesome volumes : "Jackie, the Album" and "Volume 2", plus the "2010 Annual" as well as the superb "Jackie Summer", and have given all of them sterling reviews. Sorry I cannot say the same for "Jackie - Long Hot Summer". Here is a PARTIAL list of songs that are NOT originals: "Push Bike Song" , "Son Of My Father", "Float On", "Rock On", "Bang a Gong (Get It On)", Slik's "For Ever and Ever", "Seasons In The Sun", "Goin' Home", "Touch Too Much" (Horrible recreation--not even close!), "Touch Me In The Morning", "Save Your Kisses For Me", and more.
The fakes are pretty good forgeries. With the passage of forty or so years, it's understandable how the casual listener could overlook the differences. Very disappointing since the David Cassidy tunes on earlier Jackie sets were among very few "new" recordings. Also a real letdown that U.M.T.V. released this 3 CD set. Usually a reliable pedigree. Not here.
If you want original hits stay away from Jackie- The Long Hot Summer. Get one of the other volumes I mentioned eatlier. And by the way, the earlier volumes have many of the Long Hot Summer tunes in earlier and original renditions. No further evidence needed to expose the imposters on "Long Hot Summer". Listen for the differences!
I give it three stars 'cause it's pleasant enough listening, and the Grease mega mix is incredible. Also, there are some original tracks Each CD does a "bait and switch". Leadoff tunes on each CD ARE originals by Abba, the Rollers, and Queen. Don't be fooled. Fakes are on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
A good selection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
i love this album, brings back memories

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Repetitive, 11 Aug 2014
Dawn Swan (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jackie - Long Hot Summer (Audio CD)
There are some great tracks on this, some of which are all time favourites and take me right back. It dropped a star for a lot of the tracks being on the other collections, multiple times, and the fact that disc two is the weak one of the trio. I shall be checking the price for the MP3 downloads so I can just pick the tracks I want off the various collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great set of CDs, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Jackie - Long Hot Summer (Audio CD)
Having become a teenager in the 70s, this CD brings back a lot of happy memories. I love the Jackie series of music, it's a good mix - and being a set of 3CDs, they are really good value too. These are background music for me to do the housework to, or to sing along to in the car - much to the embarrassment of my younger children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackie long hot summer album, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Jackie - Long Hot Summer (Audio CD)
Love all the Jackie albums so many trips down memory lane x

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Good

Jackie - Long Hot Summer
Jackie - Long Hot Summer by Various (Audio CD - 2014)