5.0 out of 5 stars LG nailed it!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:46 Mins
Published 2 months ago by Reviewify.co.uk

Published 22 days ago by DrSam

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Not a UK phone Lg will not honour warranty claims in UK and comes with official LG seal missing or broken. See review, 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: LG G3 5.5 inch Sim Free 16GB Android Smartphone - UK Version - Gold (Wireless Phone)
Whoever is buying these phones needs to beware. I ordered the first phone it arrived with the lg seal broken and some random third party seal on the box didn't touch it and sent it straight back. Reordered, 2nd phone arrived the official lg seal entirely missing as well as the instruction manuals.....suspicious i contacted LG who checked the serial and IEMI number and told me the phone is not a UK version phone but registered in Romania. Now the missing seal and the instructions seemed to make sense as they obviously opened the box and removed it to hide the fact that it is not a UK phone despite advertising it as one as obviously the instructions would have been in Romanian!! Have sent the 2nd phone back and flagged it as fraud with Amazon and advised me not to repurchase the item while they investigate it. To boot, if you purchase this and it is not a UK phone you will not be eligible for warranty in the UK according to LG themselves who i spoke to about this. Hopefully my review and this information can save others a lot of hassle for others as its not a cheap item! hard not to feel a little cheated and disappointed as it was a gift for my wifes birthday!

5.0 out of 5 stars LG nailed it!, 18 July 2014
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 3:46 Mins

The LG G2 was a good phone, the LG G3 takes all that goodness, refines it, and delivers an absolutely brilliant phone. The screen on this is so sharp, it's brilliant for gaming or reviewing your photos and videos. The camera is excellent, the laser auto focus means this is a mobile you can point and shoot without missing a shot because the camera was attempting to focus.

An interesting addition is an after focus mode allowing you to take a photo and then adjust the focus on it. This mode feels a little like LG attempting to mimic the HTC One M8 focusing ability and not really pulling it off. I found it isu a useful mode if you can't get the phone to focus on a small item, such as a spider in a web, as you by manually adjusting the focus you can pick the best looking shot.

The interface is crisp and clean and LG have done a nice job of 'roundifying' icons, a nice touch is the power button on the back is also round to match this new style. Talking of the back I'm very pleased to see LG have done away with the cheap plastic back used on the G2, when I took the G3 out of the box I first thought the back was metal. It isn't, but it doesn't feel cheap. The back is also removable for access to battery, SIM and memory card.

The in built fitness app is a great touch, saves you wearing a dedicated tracker and can also track different activities in a Runkeeper style.

Keyboard and predictive text is excellent, of course you can always replace this if you're not a fan.

Check out my review video, I've tried to demonstrate as many features as possible but in summary this is a premium phone and it feels like a top end mobile. I showed it to some die hard iPhone users at work and even they loved it. They did all wonder if it would be too big in the hand, and that is something to keep in mind. Try and play with one in a shop first to ensure you're OK with the size. It is nice and light.

As you probably can guess its a big thumbs up from me!

4.0 out of 5 stars LG G3 : A Dream LG Smartphone!! ( Updated Review 14th August 2014 ), 2 July 2014
J. Choudhry (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Please find my updated thoughts at the end of the review. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------

When it comes to gadget purchases i can be an impulsive guy. I see the one that catches my eye and I prone to buy it without hesitation ( of course going through the early reviews ). This exactly is one of the reasons I have two many of them and I just love living with them. Given my history ( Reviews on Amazon ) please do not be surprised that I now am a proud owner of the LG G3 ( my 4th phone in less then 12 months ) and ready to share my thoughts with the wider community. Let's get into it without wasting anymore time.

Build Quality --> Top Notch ( 5/5 )

Build quality has never been LG's biggest asset. I don't remember the last time LG carved out a flagship phone with top build quality. G2 was ok but not the best built phone of 2013. Well welcome to LG of 2014 and we have a sturdy and quality handset in the form of LG G3. The chassis at the back of the G3 almost catches you by surprise as if it was metal. Well they deceptively have been able to make it look like that & the brushed metallic finish on a polycarbonate body almost matches that of the HTC One M8. It's the best finish to a plastic back I have ever witnessed & experienced. Kudos to LG for making something so profound & elegant. It makes you feel why Samsung couldn't achieve all that despite of having a bigger stature then LG in the Android world. Despite of the metallic finish it surprisingly doesn't attract any finger prints plus it gives you a very reassuringly comfortable non slippery grip. Even the feel to the volume rocker and power button has been much improved too. IR blaster sits at the very top right side of the phone and 3.5 mm jack sits nicely along with the micro USB charging port at the very bottom. The SD Card ( expandable up to 128 GB ) slot is a very welcome addition and rests inside the removable chassis right on top of the Micro SIM Card Slot. My only minor gripe would be with the LED Notification light which is not as bright as it was on the G2. All in all it's a great feel in the hand and doesn't feel like a big phone. My M8 at 5" is actually taller then this 5.5" mini monster the LG G3 :D. The overall build quality has massively improved over the G2. Well done LG!!!

Screen Quality --> Very Nice ( 4.5/5 )

Quad HD ( twice the amount of 720P ) is the future in screen technology and that's exactly what LG has put in the G3. Is it too early when most of us are happy with 1080P screens already ? Yes and No. Yes because I have my M8 next to my G3 and frankly speaking the difference in day to day stuff is hardly noticeable. No because somebody had to do it eventually so it's good that LG has taken the lead. In fact right after LG launched the G3 in Korea Samsung launched the QHD version of the S5 which most people are not even aware of in Europe and the rest of the world. So Kudos to LG for beating Samsung on that front.

Screen quality is amazing on this 5.5" IPS LCD and you get wowed by that edge to edge screen once you turn the phone on. You guys must be wondering then why 4.5/5. Reason because there are somethings I didn't like on the G3 screen. Firstly the screen,despite having a pixel density of 534 ppi and a mind boggling resolution of 2560*1440, is still on the warmer side. Contrast ratio is also only at 830:1 whereas on the G2 it was at 1330:1 resulting in whites being slightly washed out. Reason is obviously because of the pixel arrangement which I don't want to discuss here as many of you would get confused. You notice these minor differences only when you put the G3 next to the other flagships of 2014 like the M8 or the S5 which both have better contrast ratios and much more brighter screens. Nevertheless the screen is still sharp and has plenty to offer for majority of the people. Only the most critical ( like myself lol ) would raise a finger or two. But despite of all that I am thoroughly enjoying my G3's screen and have downloaded a few 2K videos from YouTube and they look amazing. You really have to download 2K quality video to do justice with the screen.

Performance & Call Quality--> Admiring ( 4/5 )

G3 comes with the best possible hardware available at the time of writing.

- Snapdragon 801 Chipset clocked at 2.5 Ghz coupled with 2GB of RAM
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 3G/4G

Performance as you would expect is respectable. Everything from apps to other items opens fairly quick but it's not all glory. In day to day use there is definite lag under the finger which is not visible on my HTC One M8. To me M8 is the benchmark of Android at it's very best. Lag is visible specially when you get into the app drawer & swipe across screens to go through different apps. But other regular stuff like Whtsapp,Viber,Skype,YouTube,browsing was silky smooth & responsive. I never felt like as if the phone was slow or laggy. Performance on the gaming was outstanding too. I played several big titles like GT Racing 2,Injustice Gods Among Us,RoboCop,Fruit Ninja & many more & found no issues whatsoever. Strangely enough one of my favourite titles Real Racing 3 was missing from the Play Store. Could be a compatibility issue & I hope it comes back in near future. Apart from the occasional hiccup here & there the performance seems to be on par with other flagships from 2014 but I would definitely like LG to fork out these minor issues with an update ASAP as it's simply not acceptable for a phone as powerful as the G3 to lag.

I generally don't mention keyboards in my reviews but I have to admit here that the keyboard on the G3 is one of the best I have ever used ( trust me I have used quiet a few with Google & SwiftKey Keyboards being one of my favourites ). For the first time in a long time I haven't replaced the standard keyboard on an Android phone. LG have done really well with there keyboard & it's fast,responsive & accurate with outstanding levels of auto correction. You can even adjust the height of the keyboard which is simply awesome & this is one of my favourite features on the phone. Having bigger or smaller hands for typing is not a problem anymore & any size of hands can easily type on the G3 keyboard. You can even reduce the width of the keyboard for one handed use. Brilliant LG!!

Call quality on the G3 is quiet loud & crystal clear. I had no issues with making or receiving phone calls whatsoever. Signal strength on my Three network was absolutely fine with no problems whatsoever.

Sound Quality --> Amazingly Improved (5/5)

Now this is one area where I wasn't happy with the G2. There were big claims too at the G2 event last year in 2013 but this year the claims are more meaningful & actually showing results. The sound from the G3 speaker is very loud indeed & it certainly seems to be a 1Watt speaker with a built in Amplifier ( as LG claims ). In fact I was surprised to see that the speaker on the G3 was nearly as loud as the BoomSound speakers on my M8. I only wish LG had somehow put the speaker/speakers at the front of the G3 as the sound gets muffled when the G3 is lying flat on a table. If you turn the phone around & play music then it gets seriously loud & depending on the audio quality can actually sound crisp too. Even with headphones on the sound is very loud & clear as opposed to the G2 where the same pair of headphones actually disappointed me. G3 certainly has improved in the sound department & I am glad that the sound,both internally & externally,is not a problem anymore on the G3.

Whether you are playing games or watching videos on YouTube or going on a long journey ( headphones plugged in ) you will be a very satisfied customer & content with your money well spent.

Camera --> Best Ever In A Smartphone (6/5)

Yes this is how good the camera on the G3 is that I was forced to give it 6/5. The laser auto focus may sound gimmicky but hell it actually works people. It's one of the fastest focusing camera I have ever used in a smartphone. It focuses very quickly & before you know it the picture is taken. The G3 allows you to tap on the focus area to both focus and take the photo in one go saving time and allowing you to take picture after picture with no wait. All this means is that you will never miss those important moments which often need to be captured instantly. Apparently this laser focus technology has been taken from LG's Robot Vacuum Division & is also the same technology used by the Police in there speed guns. Now this is one area where most camera phones struggle & kudos to LG for addressing to all these essential areas of photography & giving us a bloody fast focusing camera. Well done LG!!

The ever present OIS+ ( Optical Image Stabilisation ) thankfully works this time around. On the G2 a steadier hand was needed instead of the OIS ( non functional ) & on the G3 OIS+ seems to be effective. Even during a bit of movement the G3 is able to take clear snaps which is good news because that is what OIS is for.

Picture quality was outstanding too. I was in Central London the other day on a training course & ended up taking a lot of photos both indoors & outdoors. The quality was simply outstanding even though I did see some over saturated colors but then which phone manufacturer doesn't do it these days. I even ended up shooting 4K video & it was excellent as well. Pictures & videos look outstanding on that Quad HD screen.

I compared the low light performance of the G3 with my M8 & I was surprisingly shocked to see that G3 actually matched ( in some cases outperformed ) the "Master Of Low Light" HTC One M8. Now this is an outstanding achievement by LG & apart from iPhone 5s I have seen no other phone giving the M8 run for its money in low light performance. The Camera on the G3 is shockingly awesome & if you are a photography enthusiast then don't look beyond the G3. It's simply the best & easiest to use camera you will ever see on a smartphone. Simple !!!

Battery Life --> Not As Bad As They Say (4.5/5)

Well well well !!!! Yes the Battery life on the G3 & the terror it's been striking into the hearts of most potential users. The thought of a Quad HD screen playing havoc with the battery life can of course be a nightmare for some but not for a daring company like LG. It's nowhere near as bad as it could have been. LG has fitted a removable ( Thank You LG ) 3000mAh battery into the G3 which on a good day can return decent screen times both on WiFi & 3G/4G before needing a recharge.

My daily usage included Whtsapp,Viber,Skype,emails,listening to music on my way to work,Appy Geek,text messaging & a few odd calls & the phone was able to cope up all day. Of course gaming & streaming videos will drain the battery out much quicker but the phone can certainly last you a day provided you keep the brightness levels around the 70% mark max. Go any further & the battery will start to drain quicker because of the pixel dense screen which is understandable. Most people will either keep the Auto Brightness switched on or will keep the brightness between 60-70% which is obviously ideal.

LG promised in there G3 event that the battery life will not be effected by the Quad HD screen as the G3 software was optimised & that certainly seems to be the case. LG also promised that the phone would return a similar standby time to a 1080p phone & that too is the case here. My G2 has excellent standby times & G3 easily matches the standby times of the G2. I left my phone fully charged one night & got up after 9 hrs 47 mins & the battery was still 100%. That did bring a smile to my face as my M8 had lost 3% in the same time left along fully charged too. M8 performs admirably better in day to day use of battery life as compared to the G3 but combining there pros & cons they both return almost the same performance on battery life. Unfortunately the G3 can't match the supreme battery life of the G2 & that was never to be expected because of the QHD screen on offer with the same battery size of 3000 mAh. Nevertheless the battery on the G3 is respectable & should last you a day without a problem.

I was very confused like you are right now after reading several mixed reviews about the battery life but I am very satisfied with battery performance now that I have used the phone for a few days & you can take my word for it. Keep the brightness under control & refrain from gaming & video streaming & the phone will last you almost all day. Moderate use can even make it go beyond a day.

Using the camera did see the battery drain more quickly and the battery wouldn't last beyond a day if you were a snap freak. It happens on most phones anyways & nothing to be worried about.

Verdict:

LG G3 is the real deal Android super Smartphone. It has an incredible & vivid screen,decent battery life, good performance and a damn bloody fast camera.Yes the phone is plastic but this is the best premium plastic you are going to get and the LG engineers have done well to make such a large screen smartphone seem as small as it does.

The LG Software has enough innovative features in there to outweigh the bad & that's one of the reasons why I got the phone. I often fancied the Galaxy Note but when I saw this 5.5" beauty in a small chassis I simply couldn't resist the charms of the G3. For those looking for a big and bright smartphone with fast performance, a great camera and one of the best screens in this size then the LG G3 matches anything on the market today.

My opinions are based totally on my experience & can differ from others. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have & I will try my best to help. Thanks

P.S : Once the phone starts to get updates I will update my review accordingly. Just to let you guys know that my phone is locked to Three Network & I got it as an upgrade. Thanks

Update 14 August 2014:

Received a system software update ( 54.91 MB ) last night with the following enhancements

- Power Optimization

After installing the update I charged the phone fully overnight and been using it all day today. The first thing I noticed was the improvement in the battery life department. It has definitely improved a bit and the overall screen on time has increased too. Secondly the screen is auto adjusting the brightness once you turn the screen on (without even enabling the auto brightness option). I keep my brightness at 70% at all times and it does dim a little itself once you turn the screen on. It's not annoying but I can see LG is definitely trying to save more on the battery life. I wasn't unhappy with the battery life before but more screen on time is good news I guess for all us G3 owners out there. The lag in the app drawer has reduced as well but not completely gone yet. So performance rating will remain at 4/5 till LG improves it further. Apparently there is another update in the makings which the sim free version has already received. I will update my review further once I get more updates. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Still loving it after a month's use, 10 Aug 2014
Had the phone for almost a month now and still loving it. The images taken with the phone's camera is sharp, I listen to music from the phone on a daily basis during my commute to work and the audio drowns out the train noises. The phone is very responsive. The battery last through the day if I use the phone moderately. But if I play some games (e.g. Sky Force) it can drain the battery rather quickly. Charging the phone, only when using the charger that came with the phone, is impressively quick. The screen is large enough and high res enough to browse the internet comfortably. Initial concern of fitting it into my pocket disappeared when I tried it with my work trousers, though you don't really want to sit down with it in your pocket. All round a great phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone & case combo, 5 Aug 2014
I bought the G3 purely because of the QuickCircle (QC) case (don't laugh) so was most annoyed that I had to wait over a week to get one (thank you Expansys). And I'm just so glad that I did buy this phone/case as it is just fantastic.
Out of the box this phone is as slippery as a wet eel but fitting the QC case, with its textured finish, provides the necessary grip.
For my needs the battery life, camera, phone quality, wireless charging, etc are all faultless. I soon got used to the rear buttons and they now seem to be the logical place for them. The double tap for on/off is most handy.
My only gripe with the QC case window is the phone function, which only gives access to the Call Log whereas I'd prefer access to the Favourites.
Like all phones the screen is a mirror but on my LG IPS235 monitor the screen is superbly non-reflective - so why can't this technology be fitted to their phones? An answer please LG.
My previous phone was a Nexus 4 (nothing at all wrong with it) running Android 4.4.4 but with the G3 I've gone backwards to 4.4.2 - that's life, I suppose!
Even if you are wedded to Samsung I would thoroughly recommend this phone, together with its QuickCircle case (the version with wireless charging).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device !!, 6 Aug 2014
Smartphones are most often down to personal preference according to needs and requirements ....... I frequently change in pursuit of the perfect device (which I haven't found :)) so feel well placed to draw a reasonable comparison. I have previously used iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4 & 5, Lumia 925 and 930. Im not a fanboy of any particular brand or OS and this is the first piece of hardware of any description made by LG that I have owned.

Right now for me the G3 ticks all the boxes for my use. The screen is immense both in resolution and size..... almost no bezel wasted space either side and the display is pin sharp and crystal clear.

I am a heavy email user and I find that the stock email app works perfectly with no need to download 3rd party apps. Likewise the stock Calendar app is perfect for my use. I love the LG keyboard, which can be adjusted in height and layout. The 'swipe' typing is as good as swiftkey (IMHO).

Despite being plastic the device has a quality feel about it, I don't have large hands and I can easily hold this in one hand but it does realistically need 2 handed operation.

For me one of the big plus points are the rear mounted buttons ..... a great idea and quite easy to get used to. The stock LG underlying software seems to be well thought out and mostly adds benefit to the base OS.

Camera is great ..... rivals the iPhone (for my use) .... I have just returned from a holiday and was very pleased with what I took.

The only minor negative is that due to work I have an enforced PIN lock from exchange (this applies whatever handset I use) with the G3 I cannot adjust the volume or move to silent without unlocking. A minor point that I can live with.

An all-round great handset and good value

5.0 out of 5 stars Big screen, small package, 3 July 2014
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am coming to this phone from the 6.4" Sony Xperia Z Ultra. While I loved having such a big screen, the physical size of the Z Ultra was simply not practical so I was hoping the 5.5" LG G3 in a 'normal' sized package would do the job.

I went for the 32GB version from Amazon Germany (not available in the UK at the time of writing) and this also comes with 3GB RAM instead of the 2GB you get with UK models.

Overall, after a few days ownership I am delighted. The size and weight of the phone are spot on and I think 5.5" is the sweet spot for smartphones as it works. The phone is similar in physical size to the Galaxy S4 but look and feels much nicer. I'm not bothered that's its not metal as I keep my phones in a case anyway as I suspect most people do.

As you would expect everything runs very quick and I have experienced no sluggishness or freezes. I have 7 homepages loaded with widgets, no problems at all.

The battery will need charging once a day, but I do get a full day out of it. I am happy with that as it's what I'm used to and this thing is also running a super high resolution screen.

I have inserted a 128GB micro SD card to add to the 32GB internal memory. On the basis that I am a hoarder, having 160GB in storage is great!

I normally replace default launchers with Nova or Apex, but interestingly I have found myself sticking with the LG interface. You are able to download alternative themes from LG Smartworld if you are not happy with the default look but in terms of functionality it works well and it's very quick. I particularly like the 'Knock Knock' software which among other things allows you to double tab to switch the screen off and on.

The quality of the speaker is good, the screen is spectacular and the size in my opinion is just perfect. To top everything off the camera on the LG G3 is brilliant. It's incredibly quick in terms of start up and focusing and produces very good results in low light. I would have no hesitation using this camera instead of a dedicated point and shoot.

This is s serious contender from LG and out of the current generation of smart phones in my humble opinion having tried nearly all of them the LG just edges it with some of it's useful features.

Update: 11/07/14
I wanted to come back and update on the battery which has exceeded my expectations. After a week or so I am finding that the battery is getting to about 55% at the end of each day. I would describe my usage as medium to heavy, with sync on and screen set to auto. The first few days it was depleting to about 15% but it seems to have settled down. This has become a major plus point on what is an excellent phone

5.0 out of 5 stars The G3 doesn't disappoint, 13 Sep 2014
After breaking my old HTC I decided to try another phone company and LG have definitely not disappointed me with the G3. First things first the screen is beautiful honestly have not seen a better screen on a phone to date. The battery life is great and easily lasts a day with moderate to heavy usage which for me was a massive upgrade on my old phone that only lasted about 12 hours -.- The operating system is smooth and you can tell that the phone is powerful and capable and LG's skin of android is very user friendly and is quite aesthetically pleasing. The ability to double tap the screen to wake it up and close it honestly makes the device really easy to use, the screen size would make you think of the device being awkward if you were not used this size phone but the unlock button being on the back means that you can use your resting index finger to unlock the phone without awkwardly shuffling the phone in your hand. The camera is really good and the laser auto focus makes taking pictures easy and gives great results, the options and settings for the camera are very user friendly and make taking great pictures easy for everyone. I also found the "selfie" camera to be very good too with the hand gesture great fun to use. Overall this phone is a great buy for anyone at a reasonable price for a flagship device and so far after I've found the device to be the best phone I've owned!

5.0 out of 5 stars But I am so glad I have this phone, 22 Aug 2014
Honestly when I purchased this phone (Amazon Verified) I was unsure of what to expect. But I am so glad I have this phone, the main good points for me is:

- Such intelligent use of screen size - very little bezel. What this means is I have a nice large screen without it feeling too big in the hand or pocket. One downside I found is that there are no buttons on the front of the phone, they are incorporated into the display. But you get use to it after a while

- Despite the Display, the battery life beats any phone I have owned so far.

- Camera is good quality as well.

I have owned HTC Desire (Years back), Samsung Galaxy S3, Iphone 5 and now the LG G3. Of all phones, I'm most impressed with the LG phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars i had the iPhone 5s 16gb but was a little bored with the restricted screen space and basic offerings apple ..., 1 Aug 2014
After some considerable research into the reviews of this phone i decided it was worth considering, i had the iPhone 5s 16gb but was a little bored with the restricted screen space and basic offerings apple make at present compared to other manufacturers..., and that's also acknowledging that apple do make a premium product definitely but..(iphone 6 will be interesting maybe) with Android phones moving forward so dramatically and being a previous android owner i felt i wanted to go back firstly because i wanted a larger screen, also like the customization that you will not get with an iPhone?
Firstly the feel of the LG G3 is first class, the screen is amazing, very clear, and this phone although its a larger device does not feel cumbersome or awkward, software seems good to me , i have read negative reviews about software overload on the device but from personal experience with a little tweaking and advice its rocks!!
Specs are the best at present which is what i like, LG have certainly made a device that has positive reviews just read yourself

if you like videos photos and web browsing you cant get better, yes the HTC ONE M8 is a great phone and i did consider long and hard but if you want raw specs, latest tech , LG G3 is right on the money, consider all this and the fact i turned my back on Apple yes.. i said Apple.

Amazing phone glad i took the time to do my homework, The best Android phone currently available