UP

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary tale of the NHS encountering the supernatural
Two very different worlds collide as medical and other science and modern management processes fail to grapple with a dying man in a hospital defying the laws of gravity.

Published 7 months ago by IH Kirkland

3.0 out of 5 stars Up
Slow to start but by half way if became a gripping tale. Significance was not lost on me but may be on others. The demise of a cottage hospital running concurrently with the demise of a patient is a clever twist. Definitely worth reading.
Published 10 months ago by Christine E Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary tale of the NHS encountering the supernatural, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)

This most readable first novel uncovers with some humour the human dilemma. We think we have understood the world around us to the point where we need no gods and yet we still encounter the inexplicable. Normally science will discount the para normal as eccentric nonsense but in this book it manifests itself in a way that cannot be ignored, even by the government. But it is in the compasion for the individuals caught in the middle of this nightmare where this book shows insight, as it also does for their individual motivation.

I really enjoyed this book for the questions it raises about our society and the difficulties we have when we encounter the inexplicable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I couldn't put down., 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
Great creative writing with scenes easy to imagine and characters who came to life. Since finishing the book I have thought about it a great deal. Much more to the book than a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
I was totally drawn into this book from the beginning, it captured my imagination and still hasn't let it go! I hope there's more to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
Have just finished reading UP and thoroughly enjoyed it and am eagerly awaiting the sequel, let us hope it's not too long in coming

5.0 out of 5 stars Up, up and away!, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
Although I have not yet finished reading this book I must declare that it is not just an exiting read but also thought provoking, exploring life, death, illness, grieving and the human response to the supernatural. To say more would be to give too much away! READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous book, with characters you could share a smile or a tear with. Looking forward to the next one already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a jump into the unknown., 29 July 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
This book was totally unique and I cannot think of how I would categorise it. I do know I couldn't put it down and read it cover to cover in two days. The effect of the book is still with me though, in a good way!
Makes you realise the actions of one can impact so many.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant first novel., 8 July 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
A fantastic read. Interesting , gripping and very "real". The characters are well drawn, the subject matter poses many questions and lthe end of the book leaves you with a sense of wanting to know much more. A brilliant first novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of the Unexpected, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: UP (Kindle Edition)
An interesting and thought provoking commentary on life and death which captures the imagination at an early stage and doesn't let it go until the final chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Sept. 2014
M. L. Swan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up (Adventures) (Paperback)
Excellent read. A book once started very difficult to put down.

UP