5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best ever toastie maker I have purchased
By far the best ever toastie maker I have purchased. Very sturdy, and the design is amazing-to be able to remove the plates for cleaning makes it a whole lot easier and quicker to use. The extra filling allowance is what sells it though, full to the brim of ingredients whereas the cheaper ones squidge all out of the side where the seals aren't all that great.
A great...
Published 6 months ago by Deborah Slater

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't overfill it
The concept is great. Toastie makers are such a faff to clean, and so it's a great benefit to have removable plates. The release mechanism is easy to use, and the plates are designed so that they click firmly into place. It all feels reassuringly like a high-end product.

However.

1. This is not a deep fill toaster. Not by any stretch of the...
Published 2 months ago by JackJack

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best ever toastie maker I have purchased, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Breville Deep Fill Sandwich Toaster, Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
A great buy, looks good and does what it says on the box.
Perfect !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality machine - makes the best toasties!, 26 Jan. 2015
I really love this toaster maker! The non stick plates are unusually deep and allow nicely filled sandwiches. Green light to show when it's heating, and orange light to indicate it's reached the right temperature. The food slips out easily once cooked, and is nicely crispy, and hot throughout. My main reason for purchase was the removable plates, which can be hand washed or popped in the dishwasher, keeping the machine clean and hygienic.

The Breville is much better than my previous cheapie toastie maker, which seemed to just steam the bread, and worth every penny. And it has many features which comparably priced rivals don't.

A final note is that we mistakenly left the toaster maker on overnight recently, and no disaster occurred - the thermostat just switched it on and off all night. I don't recommend you try this at home of course!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 Sept. 2014
Great sandwich toaster. Looks really good and makes lovely toasties. Excellent value for a Breville. Removable plates are great for ease of cleaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, I can have some decent filling., 4 Oct. 2014
Mrs. Elaine Wilson (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought this when I broke the catch on my previous one. It really did not like nomad bread or any decent fill in. This one is great. Put the bread in sideways are the instructions say, and you get a well sealed crisp sandwich. My daughter was so impressed I have had to order one for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sandwich toaster, 25 Jan. 2015
Best sandwich toaster.

Makes perfect toasts every time.Very easy to clean, just wipe with kitchen towel after use.Also the plates are detachable.

Looking very nice on my kitchen worktop.

5.0 out of 5 stars good machine, 10 Oct. 2014
this only does two sandwiches at a time, but you can put just under double the filling you can in a normal sandwich toaster. It is very easy to use and because the heating plates come out so easily, when you press the buttons, it is easy to clean. The plates will not come out accidentally, only when you press the correct buttons. It looks good as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much or versatile than I thought it would be - and helps with portion control, 10 Nov. 2014
Now toasting almost everything. This toaster is easy to use and extremely versatile with what it can cook (just add imagination!)

Downside is that when you overfill, and I'm confident most people will, it can be very messy. That's part of the learning experience though. Plates come off easily with the quick release buttons and lock back in with a solid click.

Worth trying other things in the toaster, other than just a bread toastie. Favourite so far is steak pies (or parcels) made with shortcrust pastry. Also switched away from using butter to an low calorie oil spray, which obviously means slightly less calories in your dinner and less messy when cleaning up too. Croissant pastry comes out pretty nicely too. Haven't made my own pastry, just using stores own-brand pre-rolled, but it comes out really well.

Best thing about this, for me, is portion control. There is definitely a maximum amount of filling you can use which stops me piling stuff onto the sandwich (or pastry).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid piece of kit, 9 Aug. 2014
The positives. A really solid piece of kitchen equipment, just as you'd expect from Breville. The removable plates mean the unit is really easy to clean; but I'm disappointed that the sandwich recesses aren't as deep as those in Brevilles I've previously owned. (Deeper plates are one of the manufacturer's selling points for this model, so I've knocked off a star for that.) It does make great sandwiches though; and I've already experimented with thicker bread slices and healthier types of bread very successfully.

(As an aside, I should say that I didn't have any problems, as others have reported, with finding bread slices that fit: the first standard loaf I tried worked perfectly. The trick is to put it in sideways, as directed in the accompanying instructions.)

The not-so-positives. Maybe it's just me, but I think "crimped" toasted sandwich makers have (arguably) had their day: they're very much a relic of the 70s in my opinion as, in design terms, they haven't really moved on from the very earliest iterations of the toasted sandwich maker to accommodate today's preferences and expectations. I hate those hard edges too. That's why I also have a modern Breville VST025 Sandwich Press Breville VST025 Sandwich Press, Stainless Steel. It's much more versatile and even more difficult to fault.

Notwithstanding this criticism, the toaster will be used for as long as it lasts; and I'd say it's sturdy enough to last for years! But which of the two Breville options would this particular toasty fan take to the desert island? The modern press, without a doubt.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't overfill it, 20 April 2015
JackJack (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

However.

1. This is not a deep fill toaster. Not by any stretch of the imagination. You have to leave at least a 2-3 cm margin around the edges to minimise leakage, by which time there's not much room for filling
2. It spills cheese everywhere. Ok, so maybe you are the one person out there who is meticulous with your margins, and no cheese ever escapes. Good for you. The rest of us have cheese spilling everywhere.
3. Woe betide you if any cheese spills toward the hinge. Nice big gobs of fat, slipping down behind the removable plate, on to the exposed electrical elements, the terminals of which are only about 1cm apart. Molten cheese is a very good conductor of electricity, it turns out.

After a few uses, this started to short-circuit and trip our our kitchen power. We sent it back and got a replacement. It did the same.

Yeah, don't overfill it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice toaster, but broke in less than 3 months. Full refund given, so no complaints here., 24 Feb. 2015
P. Bradford "Paul Bradford" (France) - See all my reviews
I have had one of these for at least ten years. It made reasonable toasties, but to clean it was a real pain, so it didn't get a great deal of use. When I saw this one with removable trays, I thought that I would give it a go. It says on the toaster, 'Our deepest ever fill'. I would say that it was no deeper than our old one, but it is wider, so rather than trimming off the crusts, you get a whole sandwich now. The old one was difficult to shut because of this.
I did think of giving four stars due to the delivery time, but that would be petty. I ordered on the 4th February via the UK website and it arrived on the 24th, delivered from France where we live. To be honest, I had forgotten that I had ordered it.
Update on 9th May 2015
The toaster worked fine for a while, then, two days ago, the plastic close to the handles cracked when closing the toaster. It wasn't due to overfilling as it has only been used for cheese or cheese and ham toasties. I photographed it and left it on the side intending to clean and return it. However, this morning, my daughter used it and the handle snapped completely off. I have contacted Breville and will update when I can. Looking at the handle of our old one, it is certainly a more robust design. Thinking about it, we probably had 15 years or more use out of the old one. The new one, less than 12 weeks. Probably a dozen or so uses as well. I hope that it is just a manufacturing defect, but suspect not.
Update on 11th May 2015
I heard back from Breville this morning and was told to return it to Amazon. I used Amazon's chat service to deal with the problem. They were very efficient and the matter was dealt with by means of a full refund. I have no complaints. I will buy another from Breville, but a different model.