4.0 out of 5 stars The Fraser Saga Continued!!!
The Fraser Saga Continues!!!

I, like many fans of these books believed wrongly that this well loved story was to be finalised in this book. It seems Diana cannot let go of this epic tale whilst it still rates very highly amongst her followers. The wait has seemed endless but I was not thrilled by the end result.
Yes, there are still many redeeming...
Published 10 months ago by Von

1.0 out of 5 stars More slog through only 6 months of the War of Independence
Published 3 months ago by Booknut

1.0 out of 5 stars More slog through only 6 months of the War of Independence, 1 April 2015
A very disappointing and tedious book. Especially if you are not interested in the minutiae of the battles for independence. Far too many pointless subplots. I kept waiting for them to be over so we could back to the real story but it never happened. The misunderstanding between Jamie and John over Clare was preposterous - John would simply have explained the situation and Jamie as an intelligent friend would have understood. We could have avoided half the boring episodes that way! Clare has become increasingly manic about doctoring in a way her earlier sensible self never would. And since when has Claire become such a sexual doormat. They have been back together for about 10 years now and she is 63 or so. She would not be gagging for sex at the sight of Jamie and I would like to see her tell him to get lost occasionally when he has one of his desperate urges. Jamie as a rebel general - I don't think so. Also too much description and boring repetitive sex scenes. Too much of this book seemed like a rehash of what has gone before. This is often a sign that the author has run out of ideas for progressing the story. The last three books could have been pruned to make one good one. Authors often make the mistake of doing loads of research and feeling they have to put it in the book. Us poor reader have to suffer it!

When Jocasta and her husband sold the plantation to move to Canada I think Jamie and Clare would have looked at the situation, given Jamie's unsatisfactory position with the militia and the governor's expectations, and with Clare's knowledge of how long the war would last and their ages, they would have gone to Canada too to wait out the war until they could return to Fraser's Ridge. One book could have ended with them going, the next book with them returning with no tedious stuff in between.

I will read these books to the end. The next book should really be the last one and tie up all the themes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's what you could have won. Interminable., 3 July 2014
Lady Lisa (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Remember that old TV Show Bullseye, where they showed the losers at the end the prize that they could have won but hadn't? This latest episode in the never ending story of (occasionally) Jamie and Claire Fraser has a few, tantalising glimpses of the writer in her hey dey, I.e. Books 1-3, but no more than that. Huge chunks of this sizeable tome found me skipping through screeds of Army detail that held no interest for me, Lord John Grey, whose fascination has always escaped me, and jumps erratically to the past and the future in a seemingly random and very distracting manner. Distasteful sex scenes with highly improbable behaviour from 18th century virgins were increasingly desparate, and added nothing to the story. Too Long by far, too many irrelevant characters with nothing to recommend them, it mostly reminded me of Book 4 and its interminable descriptions of the gathering.
Yet I found myself enjoying the few wee nuggets that were vintage Gabaldon, showing me the book we could have had, but I fear won't ever get again. She knows we want Jamie & Claire, but doesn't seem to want to deliver them.
This series has long outstayed its welcome, time for it to be retired.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, 27 Aug. 2014
Every book in this series after Voyager has been a struggle to read. Claire isn't fun anymore as in the first 3 books and there is too much description for things that don't need describing - I feel this is to drag the book out. Also the olde worlde talk is like gobbledeegook. Why doesn't Claire even think in 20th century language????? I keep plodding on with these books praying to get a glimpse of the fabulous writing of Cross Stitch, Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager but there isn't any. I am really struggling to understand readers giving this 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fraser Saga Continued!!!, 14 Aug. 2014
The Fraser Saga Continues!!!

Yes, there are still many redeeming qualities in the book and I definitely liked hearing more about young Ian Murray and William. I really wanted Ian's story to end well and it does seem to be edging that way. We are left wanting to find out what becomes of William now he is aware of his birth facts, which is fine for the future and I hope Jenny Murray gets an easier time of things.
I could have done without some of the long technical explanations that Roger and Bree expressed at length concerning time travel. That became boring after a time.
I also think the meeting with Roger's father unnecesarry but realise it was a follow up to one of the off shoot stories featured in 'A Trial of Fire'. The ending does make you want to know more which again is good!
On the whole though; I still enjoyed the read just not as much as the rest of this series. I still find Jamie wonderful but feel Clare seems obsessed with describing smells and hairy bodies to overload point.
If you are a fan this is still worth the read but don't expect the same amount of ground covered as in previous offerings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm, good in parts, 29 Jun. 2014
I've loved these books, some more than others but this one is certainly the weakest. The plot inches along and by the end of 890 pages you don't feel you've travelled very far. I found the whole Roger and Buck finding Jerry plain silly and couldn't work out whether we were meant to think that Buck had had sex with his mother who he seemed to fancy?! What was the point of the Jane/Nancy story? Or various other random characters that took up pages but didn't advance the plot. The use of a letter to let Bree know Roger was in the wrong time was very convenient but I guess it was the only way.

Also notable is DG's joint obsession with the smell of sweat and sex! The odour of everything is described in detail, sometimes it would be lovely to think that everyone had had a really thorough wash before rolling in the hay!!

I found the endless battle sequences very dull, great context but OTT, I would have rather had more of William getting to know his real family.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost self-mockery., 13 May 2015
Suggested alternative title: Murphy's Law. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong. Milking the series to the last drop, the author presents us with a string of catastrophes and her original brilliant idea has now become boring low comedy mixed with irrelevant trivia. William lost in the Dismal Swamp just happens to be found and saved by Ian Murray who just happens to be several hundred miles from home. Later (many yawns later) William is left for dead at the foot of a ravine where he is spotted by Ian Murray who just happens to have travelled a thousand miles to come to the rescue again .We're not even surprised when the entire cast of thousands all fetch up in Savannah at the same time. But geographical distances never were Diana's forte. I still hoot at the thought of sailing from Inverness to the Normandy coast overnight! Not possible, even in the 21st century. And how could she be bothered to write the awfully detailed stuff about the War of Independence? Such a pity, especially after she dealt with Culloden so excellently -- carefully chosen descriptions of the despairing wait, and a few retrospective snapshots of the action, let us feel the tragedy. Now this detailed list of skirmishes and names of generals is simply boring. My biggest disappointment, however, is the way she has lost all track of Lord John Grey. He was one of her best characters; an intelligent, thoughtful, clever man. Never in a thousand years would he have failed so vulgarly to explain to Jamie why he married Claire. The two men are (or were) intelligent friends. Did somebody else have a hand in churning out this tome? I won't bother to buy the next one or two or however many. Be happy Diana with the money you're making from the TV series, and conserve your heart's blood before you bleed out completely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappearing up its own you-know-what, 27 Oct. 2014
It's a familiar scenario: a talented new author hits upon a successful formula for a lengthy series, often a fantasy/sci-fi/historical saga. Word spreads, it moves slowly but unstoppably from cult to mainstream, film or tv rights are sold, and suddenly it's a franchise: cue for everyone (including the author) to lose all sense of proportion as fame and cash rolls in. Meanwhile the books turn into breeze blocks, and the plot disappears up its own you-know-what.
I haven't seen any Outlander action figures yet so I suppose Diana Gabaldon hasn't quite reached the JK Rowling/GRR Martin stage, but she's obviously got to the point where fawning editors feel unable to tell her that's she's forgotten the rules of what makes a good story.
So you end up with a book like this, one that will always sell because of fans like me, who bought into the story and the characters from book one and aren't ready to say goodbye to them yet: job done for author and publisher, I suppose. The frustrating thing is that she's a great writer, and all the reasons why you loved her books in the first place are still there. But they're buried in a self-indulgent, stuttering, meandering plot, full of tangled new sub-plots and random new characters. At times it feels as if the author is writing to amuse herself, she's just playing with her readers now - as is neatly demonstrated by that maddeningly obtuse ending.
As always, it's all a matter of personal taste, of course: her fans are loyal, and she still gets plenty of five star reviews. But a substantial minority feel as I do, and all credit to those who have taken the time to write considered criticisms, listing all this book's shortcomings. I've done that myself in the past, but I just haven't got the energy any more.
Suffice it to say that an editor wielding a hatchet should have sat Ms Gabaldon down and given her a stern talking-to a long time ago. The Brianna and Roger story belongs in a different series, for a start, as does Lord John and all his relatives.
And finally, I can't be the only one who rolled their eyes when Jamie and Claire's reunion ended with senior citizen sex in the potting shed. Enough, already, Diana!

1.0 out of 5 stars More waffle with no end in sight, 1 Aug. 2014
I cannot say that im disappointed in this latest book as its rather what I have come to expect since book 4 really. The only thing that has kept me going is a trust in the author to perhaps at some point come back to the actual story which began in book one and somehow managed to get lost after book 3. Now after reading book 8 I am still wondering where it is. The series started out with so much promise, so much potential and I loved every minute of it, could not put the books down. Then it all went downhill for me halfway through Drums of Autumn when I realised it was full of waffle and this has continued, endless waffle right up to the last page of My own hearts blood! Im still in a state of confusion as to why the author would have us travel with roger, for all those chapters, to find his father then end that story within 2 seconds flat! What was the reason for all that then? That seems to be my biggest gripe with this series now, in that DG will spend pages upon pages detailing something that has no bearing on the story at all,( ie all those tedious surgical procedures clare performs on random inconsequential characters that most often never appear again) but will either not follow through with the more engaging stories or will leave the main threads of the story hanging in the air. Quite frankly im fed up with her writing style, this endless long drawn out middle of the story in which I've been drowning since Drums of autumn! Im bored of war, im bored of meeting characters who go nowhere and add nothing to the story and im bored of the frasers at this point. I read to escape the monotony of day to day life but reading Gabaldon's books is actually much more tedious than doing household chores on my days off work. This book is no exception. I wish DG would get some direction and figure out exactly what the point of this entire saga has been and bring it to a close, link up those broken threads for god sakes and stop going off on irrelevant tangents. The series has no life in it anymore, almost like the author couldnt be bothered with it but wishes to make more money from it. Focus please miss Gabaldon and nurse this disaster home.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really good enough to be in the Outlander Series., 28 May 2015
I feel so disloyal writing this as I love the Outlander books especially the earlier ones. When each new book is released I devour each word never skipping any detail no matter if it detracted from the story or not. I was really looking forward to reading this book as the ending of an Echo in the Bone left everything up in the air, but, Oh the disappointment , most of this book is taken up with far too much detail about the war, and strayed too fay away from why we all read the books mainly for the continuing relationship between Jamie and Claire and the close family. After such a dull start the last quarter of the book felt like such a rush to finish, no matter how silly the ending.I wonder if Diana Gabaldon has jumped too far too soon, I long for the younger Jamie and the Indpendent Claire, not the silly sexual woman she has become
All I can do is go back and read the early ones for compelling stories that leave you wanting more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really!!!, 13 July 2014
Although I have enjoyed the books immensely (and am enjoying this latest offering from Diana Gabalden) the wait between books make me forget all the things that irritate me! What's a "scottish noise"? Do I want lengthy descriptions on how much Claire sweats, who smells etc! The thing that annoys me the most is that Jamie and Claire are still described and act as though they are young and sexually attractive to all - the only nod to their age (Jamie 58 and Claire 63) is a bit of arthritis! The average life expectancy in 1776 was 36 so I imagine they would have been considered pretty old! Oh well - it's only a story but as a 63 year old in modern times I certainly don't have the energy or inclination for all that passionate anytime, anywhere jiggy jiggy any more!