4.0 out of 5 stars Really!!!
Published 4 months ago by Maddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm, good in parts
Published 4 months ago by Jolly Roger

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm, good in parts, 29 Jun 2014
I've loved these books, some more than others but this one is certainly the weakest. The plot inches along and by the end of 890 pages you don't feel you've travelled very far. I found the whole Roger and Buck finding Jerry plain silly and couldn't work out whether we were meant to think that Buck had had sex with his mother who he seemed to fancy?! What was the point of the Jane/Nancy story? Or various other random characters that took up pages but didn't advance the plot. The use of a letter to let Bree know Roger was in the wrong time was very convenient but I guess it was the only way.

Also notable is DG's joint obsession with the smell of sweat and sex! The odour of everything is described in detail, sometimes it would be lovely to think that everyone had had a really thorough wash before rolling in the hay!!

I found the endless battle sequences very dull, great context but OTT, I would have rather had more of William getting to know his real family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really!!!, 13 July 2014
Although I have enjoyed the books immensely (and am enjoying this latest offering from Diana Gabalden) the wait between books make me forget all the things that irritate me! What's a "scottish noise"? Do I want lengthy descriptions on how much Claire sweats, who smells etc! The thing that annoys me the most is that Jamie and Claire are still described and act as though they are young and sexually attractive to all - the only nod to their age (Jamie 58 and Claire 63) is a bit of arthritis! The average life expectancy in 1776 was 36 so I imagine they would have been considered pretty old! Oh well - it's only a story but as a 63 year old in modern times I certainly don't have the energy or inclination for all that passionate anytime, anywhere jiggy jiggy any more!

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, 27 Aug 2014
Every book in this series after Voyager has been a struggle to read. Claire isn't fun anymore as in the first 3 books and there is too much description for things that don't need describing - I feel this is to drag the book out. Also the olde worlde talk is like gobbledeegook. Why doesn't Claire even think in 20th century language????? I keep plodding on with these books praying to get a glimpse of the fabulous writing of Cross Stitch, Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager but there isn't any. I am really struggling to understand readers giving this 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's what you could have won. Interminable., 3 July 2014
Lady Lisa (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Remember that old TV Show Bullseye, where they showed the losers at the end the prize that they could have won but hadn't? This latest episode in the never ending story of (occasionally) Jamie and Claire Fraser has a few, tantalising glimpses of the writer in her hey dey, I.e. Books 1-3, but no more than that. Huge chunks of this sizeable tome found me skipping through screeds of Army detail that held no interest for me, Lord John Grey, whose fascination has always escaped me, and jumps erratically to the past and the future in a seemingly random and very distracting manner. Distasteful sex scenes with highly improbable behaviour from 18th century virgins were increasingly desparate, and added nothing to the story. Too Long by far, too many irrelevant characters with nothing to recommend them, it mostly reminded me of Book 4 and its interminable descriptions of the gathering.
Yet I found myself enjoying the few wee nuggets that were vintage Gabaldon, showing me the book we could have had, but I fear won't ever get again. She knows we want Jamie & Claire, but doesn't seem to want to deliver them.
This series has long outstayed its welcome, time for it to be retired.

3.0 out of 5 stars I started reading and as I got to the middle I started getting bored, and that's unusual as I have all the ..., 12 July 2014
I waited for this to come out. I started reading and as I got to the middle I started getting bored, and that's unusual as I have all the others in the series and have read many long book I never give up. I am ashamed to say after half way I have put in inthe cloud. Maybe I will come back , but it seems to be more of the same. Sorry

2.0 out of 5 stars of having too much of a good thing. The Fraser family et al should now ..., 8 July 2014
What was once a most pleasurable read is now turning into a slog, with plot lines becoming hackneyed, innumerable characters hard to remember ( and often forgettable) who move in and out of the pages with a regularity confusing to even the most ardent fan. There is no rhythm to the latest offering, in fact it is jarring, presented more as individual stories cobbled together. Diana Gabaldon has an undeniable grasp of the English language but this reader felt herself wading through yet more descriptions of Jamie's beauty through Claire's eyes, more details of her miraculous medical prowess, the sweaty state of the human anatomy, with descriptions of the Revolution serving more to emphasise the author's in depth historical research, rather than a vehicle to move the narrative along.. and it never seemed to move for all the novel was 800 + pages long.
After 8 books, my feeling is one of time expired, of having too much of a good thing. The Fraser family et al should now be laid to rest at the Ridge, whilst still able to hold on to fond memories of a saga well told.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was a bit disappointed that this book concentrates so much on the war ..., 29 July 2014
I was a bit disappointed that this book concentrates so much on the war as I was hoping for more stories of their life on the ridge and their re-union with Brianna & Roger. I can only hope that, as the ending almost suggest, that there is another book in the future, I have read all the outlander stories and every other story that Diane Gabaldon has written and this is the only on where I have skipped pages. It is a great novel from a historical point of view and if that is your interest this will tell you much about the American/England conflict as her research is second to none. However if I wanted to learn about the growing drive for American Independence I would have read other authors

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointing, 2 Aug 2014
I don't usually buy hardback - only if the wait has been already so long I couldn't wait any longer for the paperback. This latest of the Highland saga is quite disappointing, though. The narrative doesn't really take you forward, too many characters are introduced and the main characters neglected. After reading through 800 pages of battle scenes and medical treatments I felt oddly put out - did anything happen or even geht resolved in the end? My answer is no. I wouldn't go so far and day that this book was a waste of my time but almost. Please, Ms. Gabaldon, get a grip because usually you are a great and witty storyteller!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tell the rest of this story!, 1 Aug 2014
Good descriptions as always, but another cliffhanger?? And only 6 months further into the 40 year history?? And once more leaving me with more questions than answers.This is getting to be a very long and slow story!! I have read all the other books in the outlander Series several times but i wont be Reading this one again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Outlander - Book 8 is finally here, 29 Jun 2014
The first half of the book is very good indeed but it was clear that towards the end the author was running out of time.to meet her publication date and some of the story lines had to be cut short; disappointing after a 5 year wait for Book 8 of the Outlander series. There are less twists and turns in the plot in this book because it takes place within a narrow time span of 4 months in 1778 however it does push the story of Jamie, Claire, Ian William and Brianna further forward. I would advise anyone reading this book to also read the Lord John Grey books beforehand as Lord John is an increasingly important character in the main 'Jamie and Claire' story and it is rather assumed the reader is familiar with John's story - the interaction between all the main characters is touching and often very amusing. The graphic scenes at the Battle of Monmouth really bring the War of American Independence to life.