Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 August 2014
Having scoured many, many early 60's comps, these two really hit the spot for me, for two reasons: 1) I actually bought a fair few of them at the time (three for a quid or thereabouts) and 2) I could wallow in a flow of golden nostalgia, recalling where, when, who and similar. In short, as the expression goes, the soundtrack to a misspent yoof. What's more, I could sing along to the majority, not a pretty sight or sound. Ah yes, it all came flooding back...perfect pop of the period, based on the US chart, tho many hit in the UK.

If you're in your late sixties, have a stare at the combined track listings [1962 elsewhere] and be reminded of carefree days. I for one bought the first four tracks on the '61 set, good start, and several others. Much could be heard on radio and like-minded chums bought titles that I. Issued or passed on. Some stuff I came back for later, e.g. The Mar-Keys, Chris Kenner, The Capris, Shep & The Limelites (what did I know about doo wop?). I bought throat-wrecker "Wimoweh" by the Karl Denver Trio because it sounded more 'authentic' than the smoother Tokens. Couldn't place Adam Wade, then realised it was Tommy Steele's last cover chart hit. Passed on Elvis, Roy Orbison (had a couple), Bobby Vee, Connie Francis, too pop for me. But plenty caught my ear.

To the '62 set, much the same applies. Several I bought, others I caught later, loads on radio, some mates bought. Dion, Four Seasons, Sensations, Freddy Cannon, Barbara George, Booker T & MG's, Bobby Darin, Gene Chandler, Bruce Channel, Exciters, others, all battled for a chunk of my meagre income. Duff tracks here by Frank Ifield, Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk (I detested trad jazz). I might've liked Sue Thompson, but I had a thing for cover queen Carole Deene.

All these tracks are yer basic 'oldies', anthologised to death over the years. But for me, they capture the zeitgeist of my early record collecting years, in two handy packages; far from perfect, but near as dammit. Who knew what the future would bring?
Another in the 'American' Heartbeat series, which covers the great sounds of the late 50's and
early 60's...This being a reflection of the memories the U.S artists gave us in 1962.
As with the other issues there are one or two numbers that were released in the U.K as B-Sides,
and maybe a few from artists L.P's.
Overall the collection does offer many of the great sounds many of remember with great fondness.
I again will pinpoint some of the many tracks from the two discs to offer a flavour of what's on
offer on the 2-CD Compilation (May help you decide whether or not to check-out the Collection.)
On disc one.......'Dion' --'Runaround Sue'........'Ray Charles' --'Hit The Road Jack'.......'Elvis Presley'
--' (Marie's The Name) 'His Latest Flame'........'The Marvelettes' --'Please Mr Postman' (of course
many will remember the likes of 'The Beatles' and later the 'Carpenter's with that one)........
'Bobby Vee' --'Run To Him'........'The Tokens' --'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.......and.......'Gary U.S. Bonds'
--'Quarter To Three'........these just a few of the 25 tracks to be found on disc one.......on dis two..
'Del Shannon' --'Runaway'........'Jorgen Ingmann' --'Apache' (which of course 'The Shadows' had a
very big Hit with).......'Elvis' --'Surrender'........'Ricky Nelson' --'Travellin' Man'........'Pat Boone' --
'Moon River'........'James Darren' --'Goodbye Cruel World'.......and........'Brook Benton' --'The Bull
Weevil Song' .......just some of the many memories harboured on disc two......
I have simply listed half a dozen or so numbers from each of the 2-Discs on-board the 50 song play
list to give you a flavour of what's on offer.
Again what we have here is a collection of in the main well known tracks offered in different play
order which just freshens the listening pleasure up some.
This as with the 1962 Compilation offers great value for money at £3.92 currently on 'Amazon' again
a BARGAIN PRICE.
VARIOUS ARTISTS, AMERICAN HEARTBEAT 1961, DAY2CD249

Another entry in the already popular American Heartbeat series of "year" compilations.

One Day Music have already issued 1957;1958;1959 &1960;1962.

The attractive nature of these 2 CD sets is achieved through the "look" and the content. Each issue has liner notes, a colour collage of comics, film posters & car ads. liner notes by Nigel Cross.

Small colour photographs of Del Shannon; Bobby Vee; Pat Boone; Ray Charles; Patsy Cline & Elvis Presley.

The sound transfers are of the best quality and are all public domain recordings.

Whilst many of the performers and the songs may well be familiar or strike a nostalgic chord there are some that I have never heard of. However, it is the general feeling of an era in the making and happy memories for those whose teenage years were centre stage.
on 31 August 2014
Great CD - excellent recordings and varied tracks. Nice look to the packaging and actual discs. Very good price and well worth the money. Very pleased and highly recommended. Am already buying the other years.
on 8 April 2015
An enjoyable collection for those memorable songs and music of that year which incidentally is when I was born !!
on 1 October 2014
Once again another excellent collection of classics from the American golden age of pop
on 19 August 2014
99PC GREAT JUST A FEW DUDS A BARGAIN AT THE PRICE 1961 WAS COOL
on 4 September 2014
as usual the 1960s music is exemplary,the disc arrived in time
on 18 March 2015
its a very good cd for anybody who is into the 60s so glad bought it play it everyday just another one to my collection I would recommend it
on 23 July 2014
A new series for me to collect. some classics I don't have