5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album
Published 5 months ago by Magneto

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
I think you have to be a real fan of country music to buy this CD. It's OK but personally I have heard better.
Published 1 month ago by Tudor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, 21 July 2014
This review is from: From Where We Stand (Audio CD)
Until recently I hadn't even heard of Ward Thomas, and yet this album is now already one of my favourites of 2014. I was listening to it all day yesterday on Spotify, then ordered the cd from Amazon. These two sisters are not only British, but their album is as good as anything Nashville is currently putting out. Full of infectious, catchy songs, all beautifully sung by Catherine & Lizzy. Particular favourites are Push for the stride, Town called ugley, and the lovely From where I stand. Great album, and I wish these girls every success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Debut, 23 July 2014
This review is from: From Where We Stand (Audio CD)
I had pre-ordered this after hearing the girls on Radio 2 some months ago. Brilliant debut album - I've played it several times already and only received it yesterday. They certainly sound like a true Nashville band. Hope they get the recognition they deserve in the UK. A great album for all country fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars British Country Music - At Last!, 21 July 2014
This review is from: From Where We Stand (MP3 Download)
Absolutely fantastic debut album from this twin double act. Velvety smooth harmonies, meaningful lyrics and heart felt songs. Album highlights include 'Push For The Stride', 'The Good and The Right' and the beautiful 'From Where I Stand'. I don't normally write reviews but this album made me have to!

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the previous reviewer that it's every bit as good as much of US Country, 21 July 2014
This review is from: From Where We Stand (Audio CD)
Tremendous. I agree with the previous reviewer that it's every bit as good as much of US Country. They've got a strong and confident idea of their sound is, and seem like they're having great fun with it. Catchy and accessible while still being very much country. They've got slightly different voice-types to each other and make good use of it both in solo bits and the (very good) harmony bits.
Most of the songs are quite fun upbeat songs like The Good and the Right and Company, then the title track From Where I Stand is quite stripped back (at least to start with), and Caledonia's beautifully calm and lilting.
Well done on a very strong album!

5.0 out of 5 stars British Country at its Best, 22 July 2014
This review is from: From Where We Stand (MP3 Download)
Excellent debut album from this great British country duo. Deservedly at No 1 in UK Country Download chart. Songs are mostly self-written and the harmonies of the twin siblings are fantastic. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country music from Hampshire in England, 15 Aug 2014
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: From Where We Stand (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album mixing up-tempo songs and ballads, all of them original songs written or co-written by the twin sisters, except for a cover of Dougie MacLean's Caledonia. The production is excellent. Although the album features British songs and singers, the sisters found some American producers and musicians to help them fulfil their ambitions. Vince Gill is among the listed musicians.

At first glance, Hampshire seems an unlike source of country singers, but outside the urban areas centred on Southampton, Portsmouth, Aldershot, Winchester and Basingstoke, there are plenty of rural areas, The sisters were raised on a livestock farm away from all the hustle and bustle. They say that farm life is much the same anywhere. I'm not sure about that (climate and landscape are huge factors), but there are some similarities.

Getting back to the music, I'm guessing that A town called Ugley is inspired by Basingstoke, where I lived from 1982 to 1993. It would be very easy to drive round there in circles passing the same place 55 times :-)

Fantastic album.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Albums of 2014 by A Mile, 30 Aug 2014
Alistair D. Woolley "aldwoolley" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Where We Stand (Audio CD)
This album is 1 million per cent excellent. The sisters have proved why they deserve to still be No1 on the UK Country Music Chart for the last 5 weeks. They have taken on the Americans and easily won their battle, because they are easily able to mix freely with modern country acts like Lady Antebellum, Brad Paisley and Eric Church. Way Back When is my favourite track and anyone who doesn't give this album a five isn't giving this album a chance and in my opinion knows little about good music.

I want the second album now, as I could easily play nothing else but Ward Thomas for a very long while, as their debut album is so addictive. It is one of the best albums of 2014 and I'm very pleased that BBC Radio 2 are giving them loads of airplay and giving them session time, because they are just first class. They have proved that you don't need BGT or X Factor to be successful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done girls. Your music is growing on me ..., 22 July 2014
This review is from: From Where We Stand (MP3 Download)
Well done girls . Your music is growing on me. New fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nashville sounds from a great British duo, 15 Nov 2014
Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: From Where We Stand (MP3 Download)
Amazon's analytics got me on this one... I've purchased country music previously and Amazon recommended that I would like this. I listened to the samples and was hooked.

There are a good variety of songs on this album and all are strong. I particularly like their arrangement of "Caledonia", it's beautifully sung.

I usually listen to Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, Pioneer and similar bands. This collection of songs fits in well with those artists but is a little less pop in style.

You won't believe these are British girls, their sound is Nashville through and through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country Twins Excel, 10 Aug 2014
DJW13 (Exeter, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Where We Stand (MP3 Download)
For me, these country twins excel! I read in my local paper that they were coming to my city, so listened to them on the internet, liked them a lot and went to see their show. They have a refreshing attitude when performing as they obviously enjoy themselves. They also made time after the show to talk to everyone who stayed, signing anything and posing for photos.

I thorough recommend the album, which is great, and suggest people make the effort to see them in concert. I am looking forward to their next album already!

From Where We Stand
From Where We Stand by Ward Thomas (Audio CD - 2014)