5.0 out of 5 stars Ed's back with a refined & experimental sound!
As you know, Ed Sheeran has been making waves these past few years as a singer/songwriter with a difference.
For a few of his fans though this second album marks just another step on the ladder of a journey that has spanned almost 10 years since his first EP release.

Published 2 months ago by Warioman3000

3.0 out of 5 stars Listened to it 5 times over and im not convinced.
I saddens me to say it but im disappointed by this album. I loved his debut album and have seen Ed in concert and he is clearly a unique talent that deserves every bit of his success.

Published 1 month ago by tpseesall

5.0 out of 5 stars Ed's back with a refined & experimental sound!, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)

I'm part of the latter group who have been lucky enough to have experienced Ed's music & live shows 'pre & post' his signing to Atlantic records.

In my opinion, this album release marks a significantly more self-aware and experienced Sheeran who appears to have settled into the new life his unprecedented successes, both in the UK & worldwide have created.

A lot of fans have berated Ed for 'selling out' as he appeared to move further from his acoustic roots to create & produce the music we're slowly becoming more accustomed to hearing from him, yet i'd argue this whole album is well crafted with a very varied sound, showing his matured tastes, yet refusing to forget his long heritage of raw acoustic guitar tracks and his beautiful vocal range.

My personal highlight of the album being 'Don't', a powerful and emotionally charged tune to a retro hip hop beat that reminds me of 'One Night' from the 'Loose Change EP'.

If you want to follow the story of this singer/songwriter's journey to the top, this latest album is as good a starting point, as any of his others before.

Here's to album #3!

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of genius multiplied by 10!, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Excuse the pun above but ya know! Had to it just felt right. I'll take a step back momentarily and just say..
The music coming this year just gets better and better; Sam Smith "In The Lonely Hour" Michael Jackson "Xscape" and now Ed Sheeran "X (Multiply)". This is the best of the best right here.

From the quiet ballad of falsetto and acoustic "One"

To the ever so regretful "I'm A Mess"

Followed on by the number one UK single acoustic dance track of "SING"

Then we get to the best stuff.

"Don't" is a particular highlight of mine. And many others by the looks of things. The hip-hop influenced spoken rapped four minute masterclass about being cheated on.

"Nina" is another hidden gem. R&B and catchy about long distance relationship.

"Thinking Out Loud" is also a personal favourite; a pretty falsetto ballad. Uplifting.

"Bloodstream" is a catchy R&B influenced song about drugs etc.

"Photograph" is another long distance relationship song. Lovely.

And "Afire Love" is heartfelt ballad about his grandfather's alzheimers and resulting death.

Those are my favourites. Not that the others aren't exceptional!

"I See Fire" is ridiculously good. Slow, slow, slow, then an explosive ending.

"The Man", a song reflecting on love, career, and fame. Sung in a rap!

"Take It Back" is a song about his career, reminiscent of "You Need Me I Don't Need You" from "+".

"Shirtsleeves" is a beautiful touch. Nuff said!

"Even My Dad Does Sometimes" is pretty but my least favourite.

"Tenerife Sea" is kinda magical. About true love, Ed Sheeran style!

"Runaway" is about Ed's dad's drinking problem, and is the second song directed by Pharrel. A very touchful yet upbeat tune.

"The Fault In Our Stars" is a real gem of an end to a real gem of an album.

Highly recommend. Best album this year :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the deluxe edition!, 29 July 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
This is my first Ed Sheeran purchase so I have listened without prejudice after being impressed with his performance on T in the Park on TV. I have to say I am not in the least bit disappointed - just an album of great songs. Nicely varied, but all heartfelt and strongly melodic, Yes there is a range of sounds here that suggest a range of producers, but also a distinctive style that suggest a very talented young man. it really is hard to fault.

Really worth buying deluxe edition for 'I see fire' alone - already my favourite track on the album. 'Runaway', 'Bloodstream' and 'The Man' are also current favourites - but a great listen all round. A pleasing discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ed's smashed it again, brilliant., 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Brilliant. Truely did not believe Ed would be able to beat his first album, +, but he really did. One of the best albums i have ever bought, 110% recommend this to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sing" ...yes you will!, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
This was purchased for my partner who heard the song "Don't" at Glastonbury... I wouldn't say he was an Ed Sheeran fan before but this album has converted him....he thinks this album is excellent...All the songs are brilliant he is such a good lyricist and my partner now has tickets to see him at the 02. The man can write a solid tune so well as well as have such a great range to his voice and his rap style is so laid back and pleasant to hear. With the catchy first single "Sing" which I still love to death, this album is a must and this explains why it has been on the number 1 spot for a while now...fantastic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet From Sheeran, 29 July 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
I don't normally leave reviews but for this one, I had to. An absolutely incredible album with fantastic songs from start to finish. None of the tracks is weak and I never skip even one. My favourites include "Don't" and "Bloodstream", though I find that there are tracks that will connect with everyone. Very strong and very enjoyable album. I have barely stopped listening to it, even now, since I bought it on the day of release. In my car, on my commute and whilst I'm working. It's just so easy to listen to. Best yet from Ed Sheeran and looking forward to more like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Listened to it 5 times over and im not convinced., 2 July 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)

I listened to this once over and not a single song stuck with me, except for "I see Fire" (which I already knew and thought was an amazing track), but everything else just didn't hit me like most of "+" did. I thought okay, I'll listen to it again and see what stands out second time over, as quite often happens on repeat listens, nothing. I have listened to it maybe 5 times over now in the last week or so and the only thing that I can say is im pretty gutted. I feel Eds uniqueness has been lost and I can now hear other singers/bands instead in his music. For example "Sing" sounds like a Justin Timberlake song and I even checked to see if he was on it, I can hear some Newton Faulker in tracks like Photograph and in "the Man" which is quite a decent song I can hear The Streets so clearly.

This isn't a bad album, and everyone else clearly seems to love it but I feel pretty flat about it. I will keep listening but im pretty sure at this point it will just get lost in my music rotation. Sorry Ed, I've got high hopes for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, landmark album, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Now and then an artist releases an album that takes your breath away. Ed Sheeran's new X album does just that. This is one of the best albums of this century. Ed's talent truly shines through in this album.

For anybody interested in good, meaningful lyrics with excellent music and skill, this album is for you. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... as a spur of the moment purchase but so glad I did, 18 July 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Bought this as a spur of the moment purchase but so glad I did. Haven't listened to his first album but this one is great. Favourites are 'afire love' 'one' 'runaway' and 'Tenerife sea' but honestly can listen to the whole album through without skipping any songs as they are all great! If anything 'sing' is my least favourite now only because it's been overplayed by radio stations. Well worth a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Well worth the wait to get hold of this new cd. Still listening daily, you can tell how much hard work has gone into making this a top class cd

x [Boxset]
x [Boxset] by Ed Sheeran (Audio CD - 2014)