I find it strange that ever so often reviews on "royal novels" starts with the line that one usually one does not read them but this very book is an exception.

Published on 29 Oct 2008 by Amelrode

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed
I enjoy books on royal personages and found this readable and quite enjoyable.
However it is obviously written from an American viewpoint using American conversational words and phrases which would not have been in common usage in the UK, "cable cars" for example and the consistent referral to the
"Queen (or King ) of England", when it should be Great Britain,...
Published on 9 May 2009 by RLS Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed, 9 May 2009
This review is from: The Royal Mob (Paperback)
I enjoy books on royal personages and found this readable and quite enjoyable.
"Queen (or King ) of England", when it should be Great Britain, really annoys me.
There is also quite a lot of information on the Hesse princesses omitted but further reading of other books on this topic provides this.
I would disagree that it is well written but maybe I am looking for too much from this type of novel but whether it is worth over 25.00 for a paperback is another question.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting and entertaining - the destiny of the four Hesse Princesses, 29 Oct 2008
Amelrode (Vilvoorde) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Royal Mob (Paperback)

Well, I have no hestiation to state that I read novels about royalty. I I do enjoy them, but I take them for what they are. Novels often give the authors much more freedom to bring across a picture of the personalities they write about without "having to proof" every line they are writing.

Queen Victoria had, in all, forty grandchildren spread throughout the courts of Europe. Victoria's grandchildren were united in respect, love and admiration for grandmother. They were the leading member of 'the royal mob', as she liked to call them.

Theresa Sherman ( aka Ilana Miller) takes up the story of four of Queen Victoria's grand-daughters : the princesses of Hesse, daughters of Princess Alice and her husband Grand Duke Louis IV of Hesse: Viktoria, Elisabeth, Irene and Alix. Wisely the story is told from the perspective the eldest daughter Princess Viktoria, later Princess Louis of Battenberg and Marchioness of Milford Haven. She is the most steady fast of the sisters, quite a character.Elisabeth and Alix make grand Russian marriages - Elisabeth to Grand Duke Srege and Alix to Czar Nicolas II; Irene is rather the "mousy" princess, married to Prince Henry of Prussia, younger brother of the German Emperor.

So, here are the properly the most connected and quite powerful princesses (Russian Empress) of their time. Sherman writes with passion, knowledge and in an entertaining way. It is a delight to read. She uses the freedom of the medium "novel" to perfection. One learns a lot and is entertained. What does one want more from a novel. In short: great work!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'pearl' of a book......., 11 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Royal Mob (Paperback)
Well, I've just finished reading the book today ~ all 631 pages ~ and I must say I enjoyed it immensely! The central character of Victoria became very real to me as the book progressed, and every event in this long saga is portrayed with feeling and sympathy. At last I now have a clear grasp of the 'minor' characters ~ the Cecilias and Sophies for example ~ I was never sure who they were before reading this book! Something else I really liked ~ when Victoria says (on more than one occasion) ..'a photo was taken to record this...' Then I could go to one of my photo books and actually find the photo she is talking about and identify all the characters! The family group at Ernst and V. Melita's marriage in 1894 is a good example. Thank you to the author for writing the book, and to Amazon for stocking and promoting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare pearl of a book..., 5 Sep 2008
E. Duke "e. duke" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Royal Mob (Paperback)
I truly enjoyed this book. Theresa Sherman's Victoria speaks how I imagined she really would have done. Princess Victoria of Hesse was Queen Victoria's favorite grandchild and her fictional memoirs are what makes up this book. Her life starting in Queen Victoria's golden era and ending in the aftermath of WW2 makes for a fascinating, heartwarming and sometimes heartbreaking epic. We get a glimpse into the world of the 'Royal Mob', Queen Victoria's legendary family, and come to know her legion of cousins, aunts and uncles by their nicknames and come to love them as Victoria did. Victoria's humor and zest for life was legendary, and she really came alive for me in this book. Victoria's shining moment in this story is when her grandson, Prince Philip marries Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth II) and when Victoria gives Philip a gift that represents Victoria's whole life. The ending actually brought tears to my eyes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vanity Publlishing...?, 7 Mar 2010
Imelda "Imelda" (a village in Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Royal Mob (Paperback)
When you open this massive paperback, the imprint page states that it is unedited and that every word is as the author intended. This is all well and good for the author and if he/she is a good writer. If they are a bad writer or, as in this case, a mediocre writer, it is bad news for the reader.

I found this book's subject interesting and the story of the Hesse grandaughters of Queen Victoria fascinating but the style of writing is turgid and uninspiring. It could have been so much better.......

The high price of the paperback is because it is printed digitally "on-demand" - look at the last page of the book and you will see the date it was produced especially for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ROYAL MOB, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Royal Mob (Paperback)
There are many historical novels out there but I think it's a difficult genre to crack. The tale could well distort the realms of history for perpetuity if the author isn't careful. This author has been careful. She has taken a few liberties with timings and events, but the amount of research into the subject is clearly obvious. Characters are very well drawn, dates are accurate, events are told in great detail, and a cast of characters with their family nicknames. And the front cover features an image of the two main characters that is incredibly rare. The novel itself is a page turner telling a story of royalty, romance and revolution - and even that shady character Rasputin makes an appearance. If this story doesn't make you want to pick up a non-fiction history book to find out more, I'll be very surprised.

The Royal Mob