5.0 out of 5 stars Very, VERY impressive.
You can get the gist of the story from other reviews here, I won't bore anyone with another summary.

Published 18 months ago by A. C. F. Guile

3.0 out of 5 stars A good page turner and an easy read but aimed at ...
A good page turner and an easy read but aimed at the younger reader. A surprising number of spelling mistakes (kindle version), was this ever proof read??!!!
Published 1 month ago by James

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, VERY impressive., 12 April 2013

What I will say is that I am a picky so-and-so and, as an example, I recently read Mark Charon Newton's first book (Nights of Viljamur)- didn't like it (dull characters and too many quotes lifted directly from 'The God Delusion', etc) despite other rave reviews, and have given up on various other traditionally published books over recent years despite the time, effort and money spent on publishing them. There was a time I would finish a book even if I found it dull or hated it, I can't do that these days. I just don't have the patience for bad writing or stories that I don't like or don't grip me.

This is self published and is the best fantasy read I have had this year - though Mark Lawrence's Prince & King of Thorns is a close second.

It's not all constant action, it's a slow burn novel (like Robin Hobb and others) but you're always kept interested and the depth of character achieved and the nature and strength of the bond between the 'brothers' is great stuff. There's plenty of intrigue and the authorial 'reveals' along the way as the story unfolds have been paced very well indeed.

Ok, there are a few typos (names spelt wrong and a coma or two missing ...IMHO) but those issues are irrelevent and I forgive the author 100%. This is an amazing effort and a fantastic story.

Thank you, Anthony you have given self publishing a good name!

Bravo!!!

EDIT - I have the self published version. I see that Mr Ryan has quite rightly been picked up by a traditional publisher now. Quite right too. Well deserved. Comparison to David Gemmell though is something I don't understand. Ryan has his own voice. DG was indeed an Legend and while Ryan might quite enjoy the comparison, I think he stands up perfectly well on the strength of his own efforts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fantasy, 25 Jun 2013
Keris Nine - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There's a lot to recommend about Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. In most respects it's a traditional fantasy novel that respects the genre's conventions, but's it's well-written and engaging and it has an interesting perspective that gives it a little bit of an edge and sets it apart from most works of this kind.

Even if the early part of the book seems to be fairly standard plotting, there's an underlying unease about the situation then that keeps you involved. This is as it should be since the "blood song" of the title is indeed a guiding sense of warning that keeps the young Vaelin Al Sorna alive throughout the difficult years of his training as a warrior in the service of the Sixth Order, defenders of the Faith and the United Realm of King Janus. The first part of the book then goes through the standard template of apprenticeship, the honing of Vaelin's skills through tests and bonding with fellow warriors, but in addition to being well told, you do get a sense of other elements of the wider problems in and beyond the Realm that will undoubtedly come into play once we get to the world outside.

Even that seems fairly familiar territory, with war being on the horizon and conflict not only with foreign states, but also with Deniers of the Faith and from mysterious agencies that use the power of the Dark, Vaelin seeming to play a part in a Destiny that has been foretold in ancient books. It doesn't take too long however to recognise that it's not all peace, love and goodness under the rule of King Janus, that the expected divisions between the forces of Good and Evil aren't that clear and that Vaelin - known now as Hope Killer - might not even be on the side of Right.

It's this kind of touch that makes all the difference. How often do we really get to see and understand the working of the "forces of darkness" from an insider's perspective? It's the way that it's told however that really counts, Anthony Ryan building up credible characterisation that takes into account the usual motivations of greed and ambition but also how fear, personality, power and the weight of history have a part to play in the shaping of Destiny. It's not just all about some ancient prophesy then, or the wielding of mysterious powers, but Blood Song becomes a question over how much power we have over our own destiny. And that's interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust the good reviews!, 2 April 2013
So, minding my own business, I was looking through the recommended section on my kindle and saw this for a few quid. As always I looked at the reviews, and immediately became suspicious. One bad review out of near a hundred good ones- but I took a gamble, and boy was I rewarded.

This is quite possibly one of the best opening novels I have ever read. My normal genre is fantasy, and as such I think I have quite high standards when it comes to these books- I haven't been this impressed with a first book since the farseer trilogy (Robin Hobb).

In terms of the book itself, there was something for me on every page. Not once did I become bored or frustrated with events, characters, story, or, well... anything! The pacing is extremely well done, as are the characters. Whilst it lacks the depth of detail in environments that I am used to with authors such as Hobb, the rest of the factors more than make up for this- character arcs are extremely well done, and I found myself thoroughly engrossed in the fate of almost everyone the book introduces to you.

Literally the only thing I found mildy off putting was initially the names were quite foreign- but this is something that I eventually liked anyway as it does perform the role of setting it slightly apart from standard lord-of-the-rings esque names for everything.

Believe the reviews, I have never been so grateful for taking a risk on a book- which is also minimised by the unbelievably cheap price I got it for. Brilliant read, and I cannot wait for the next book of what I hope is a long saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good., 7 July 2013
What a relief, the previous reviewers have got it spot on. Here we have a story that is far-ranging but very focused and best of all, it is well written and holds interest throughout.
Great story, can't wait for the next one.

Another thing, it is so welcome to discover that there are new and very good authors writing in the fantasy genre.
I, for one, am fed-up with plowing through all the huge quantities of published rubbish that is now cluttering the fantasy and science fiction scene

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 25 Jun 2014
Great story and exceptionally well written. In similar ilk to Name of the wind. Looking forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Jun 2014
Brilliant book fast paced with a good story can't wait for the second book to come out which I've already pre ordered :)

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 23 Jun 2014
Downloading second now; best book I've read in a while. Started as just something to pass the time but really got into it

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER!, 17 Jun 2014
I have never written a review on any book I have ever read but felt that this book was so worthy of encouraging potential readers to buy it! I was completely blown away with this book and already pre-ordered the second book. Seriously Buy Buy Buy - you will never regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 7 May 2014
Fantastic, I have read so many fantasy books over the years that it is a joy to find an author with their own ideas, interesting characters that develop well and intelligently throughout the book, am definitely looking forward to the next one. Best book I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 6 May 2014
Mrs. K. Scott "jk" (UK) - See all my reviews
Looking for something new I came across blood song. Couldn't put it down! Loved the characters settings and generally the whole thing looking forward to the next instalment.