5.0 out of 5 stars A new world with new possibilities...
Deathmaker takes place in the same world as Balanced on the Blade's Edge, slightly after the events of the first book.

Published 8 months ago by Hellvis

3.0 out of 5 stars Deathmaker
Published 6 months ago by Rhianno H Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Deathmaker, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Deathmaker is the follow-up novel to Balanced on the Blade's Edge which I reviewed a few weeks ago. It is set in the same world, different to the author's previous novels but which involves her usual blend of steamera technology and forbidden magic. Deathmaker starts a short time, it is not clear exactly how long, after the events of Balanced on the Blade's Edge, however, it involves two completely new characters. In fact, if you pick up the book hoping for more of the characters from the previous novel, you will be surprised. They do make an appearance, even the snarky talking sword, but not until the latter half of the book.

Deathmaker involves the author usual hero and heroine, both getting point of view scenes. The story starts with their meeting in a cell, follows their escapes and thoughts to capture/kill/ensnare the other. As the book goes on, we learn more and more about these two, the Tolemek Deathmaker in particular. It took me a while to warm up to the characters, although I got the impression that this was the author's intent. I only started to like both of them when they choose to start trusting, or at least tolerating, each other. The plot is fast moving but not so fast that there's no time for the entertaining dialog that have made me come to love Lindsay's book quite so much.
Final Thoughts

All in all, this is yet another great read from Lindsay Buroker. The world gradually comes alive as the book goes on and the developing Iskandia and Cofah cultures make this an absorbing world which I can't wait to hear more from. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new world with new possibilities..., 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

Take sky pirates, steam powered airships and marvelously deadly flying machines, add a mad scientist on a mission, a sharp shooting gunslinger, some deadpan wit and the old saying 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', and Deathmaker is the result.

Packed with nail biting action, daring escapes, forbidden magic, goo, and Buroker's trademark smart-mouthed spunky female heroine, Deathmaker is a must have addition to your bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, steam punk action, 2 Jun. 2014
Elle L "of the Dark Woods" (Belly of the Beast (Athens)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book for the amazing cover, falling in love with the male figure with the long braided hair...and the book didn't disappoint. Although not as great as other Buroker stories, Deathmaker had pirates, a floating pirate lair, air fights, mad scientists and a bit of romance- through more from the male hero's than the female perspective, which was odd. Overall, a dependable steam punk classic-Buroker action packed novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars She does it again, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I sincerely hope that Ms Buroker's well of inspiration is deep. Set in the same world and with some of the same characters as her previous books, "Death Maker" is another wonderful adventure. Whilst no-one has ever really come close to Sicarius as my favourite Buroker character, the Death Maker of the title certainly gives chase and perhaps even gets close enough to start breathing down his neck. Well-paced, well-plotted and with a great cast of characters, this is a must for readers who love an enjoyable well-written story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I’m a huge fan of Lindsay Buroker so when she offered me the chance to read this, I jumped at the chance.

It’s part two in her Dragon Blood series and takes place a little time after the first. This one is more like her Emperor’s Edge series with it being heavy on the action and light on the romance, though there is enough to make you happy. It’s more subtle than that of the first, which is what I really like about the authors books.

I grew to like Tolemek/the Deathmaker early on in this, despite him being one of the bad guys, and I think Cas had the same problem. He’s unlike the rest of the pirates she ends up meeting. Tolemek doesn’t like hurting women, unlike some of the others, and over time he softens towards Cas and she gets under his skin. It was all rather sweet reading.

If you’re a fan of the author then you need to read this. If you’ve never read anything by her, why not?

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, Lindsay Buroker . . . A lady who can spin a mean yarn!!!!, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This one is full of pirates, flying machines, and a sharp-shootin' gal who who can skin your nose with a rock from a hundred yards away.

Set in a steampunk world complete with magic, war, adventure, plenty of escapes, and a good dollop of a fancy gooey concoction with remarkable metal-melting properties, it's brilliant stuff. I just loved it.

In fact, my traitorous heart even thinks it prefers this little number to Lindsay's Emperor's Edge series!!

How is that possible when I do love Amaranthe and Sicarius so much? (If you haven't read those books you are doing yourself a serious disservice, and I would suggest you rectify that oversight without further ado.)

But as much as I love A&S from Emperor's Edge, Cal and Tolemek from Deathmaker have absolutely stolen my heart.

Cal is the ultimate impetuous shoot-first-ask-questions-later heroine.

Tolemek - despite his dastardly nickname Deathmaker - is a smart, Captain Jack Sparrowish (Pirates of the Caribbean) hero with a penchant for making gooey substances (from snake and spider venom) with both deadly and benign properties.

The chemistry between these two sworn enemies is fun to read, although, unlike Balanced on a Blade's Edge (the first in this series) this is more of an adventure than a romance. For those who loved Balanced on a Blade's Edge, Ridge, Sardelle and Jaxi also appear in this one. That said, Cal and Tolemek are definitely the show-stealers.

As we can expect from Lindsay, the action is fast-paced and riddled with her usual witty dialogue. There is even an unexpected twist at the end to keep it from becoming predictable.

And . . . tara tara . . . no deluge scene! No water at all! To understand this reference see my Blade's Edge review.

So, after this rave review, what didn't I like?

Okay, I admit, this sounds shallow, but the cover . . .

I know, I know, I did choose this one when Lindsay posted her options on Facebook for comment, but it was the best of a boring lot . . .

Maybe it's just me, but I find the blue very dull. Tolemek deserves better . . .

So, if you haven't read this yet, I suggest you rush out and buy it. And in case you are wondering how much Lindsay paid me for this review . . . nada - other than a free copy for comment.

But, let it be said, hand on heart, this is my honest opinion of a fantastic story. I can't wait to read more about these guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success!!!, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Across all her series Lindsay Buroker manages to create unique, interesting, entertaining characters that leave you wanting more!! I have enjoyed all of her books and am, in fact, running out of superlatives to describe both her work and her talent!!

I thoroughly recommend this book...it is simply........great!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 15 July 2014
Mrs B (North West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This was much better than Balanced on the Blade's Edge, in my opinion. Near the end I wished Colonel Ridgewalker and Sardelle would just go away and let Tolemek and Cas have their spotlight, this was Tolemek's/Caslin's book after all.
I really liked Tolemek's characterization, he's the 'bad boy' who isn't really all that bad, and the story was fresh and original. The twist near the end when the pirates were in the city was good (you'll have to read it to understand), I really didn't see it coming. I was wondering what was going on.
Cas was a strong and likeable heroine, but I was a bit disappointed by her in the end. There didn't seem to be much chemistry from her to Tolemek so the romance felt anticlimactic.
In all, though, this is another fab book from Ms Buroker. I know you're a fast writer Ms Buroker, but can you start writing like 20,000 words a day in order to get out say 2 books a month? Not that I'm being demanding or anything :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 24 Jun. 2014
akadingbat (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Another winner from Lindsay Buroker. She draws you in with her stories and the nice relaxed way she tells her tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characters., 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I read this in one sitting, straight after reading the first book in the series. Couldn't put the book down. I love the characters.

Deathmaker (Dragon Blood Book 2)