5.0 out of 5 stars Triple the Enjoyment, 29 May 2014
stringsoup2013 (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triple Jeopardy (Kindle Edition)
I was really pleased that Ms. Green was able to get her next book out so quickly. After reading Death Wishes: 10 Things I Must Do Before I Die, I was dying for another great book of her's to read. And Triple Jeopardy delivers.

Tina's Dilemma is by far my favorite: probably because Tina and her man are my favorite couple in this set of stories. Each story is a fun and engrossing read, but you will also walk away from the tales thinking about the important issues the author has raised. Regardless of the age of the main character, each story is a coming-of-age tale, detailing the ups and downs of these women's lives as they struggle to become independent adults, or even adults who just have a better understanding of who they are.

Ms. Green gives us a wonderfully interesting set of stories, all while asking us to question some very important issues. What does it mean to be a true friend? How do we find the strength to fight for ourselves? And what are the motivations behind our own actions?

Just like Death Wishes, Triple Jeopardy is one of my new favorites. A fun read with such clever twists, I can't wait for the next book from Ms. Green's magic fingers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Triple great read, 1 Jun. 2014
ShoJ (vancouver, bc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triple Jeopardy (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic premise! Three intriguing women in troublesome situations, over three decades. When I saw this on the bestsellers list, I had to get it. I'd read Death Wishes awhile ago, and really enjoyed it. I don't always enjoy short stories, I usually like my books to be more meaty, but the blurb sold me. I'm glad it did! Truly a fantastic read. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Great Short Stories, 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Triple Jeopardy (Kindle Edition)
I've always liked when an author puts together a group of short stories and this is no exception.

Although each story is separate and has it's own characters (and decade) there is a similar theme to all of them - relationships gone horribly wrong.

The author must have personal experience in these areas as each scene is written believably. Even if you haven't experienced what the characters are going through, you feel it through the writing.

I wish there were two more stories to bring it to this decade. It is definitely a theme that has teeth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful juxtaposition of violence and sex, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Triple Jeopardy (Kindle Edition)
Slip this one in your tote bag to take to the beach. In her latest release, "Triple Jeopardy", Rowanna Green delivers another well-written, humorous and insightful work about contemporary life in the United Kingdom. This collection of 3 short stories investigates the relationships of girls and boys, women and men over the last 30 years. Though she gives the prose a light touch, Ms. Green does take on issues of sexual violence. Still a good one for the beach if you like to think a bit while you soak up the rays.

The first story, Tina's Dilemma, tracks a group of boys and girls coming of age in the '70s. It is an interesting presentation of sexual violence amongst children and how it can grow into sexual violence amongst young adults. The scenes involving sexual violence are quite graphic. Ms. Green does not write in a manner that sensationalizes the violence, but rather investigates its impact on both sexes.

In the second story, Teacher's Pet, Ms. Green writes of a twisted relationship between a college student and her professor. I was impressed by how realistically Ms. Green presented the sort of sexual predators who inhabit college campuses.

In the third story, Date Rape, the timeline moves to the '90s and the complexity of dating as a young professional. Ms. Green does a wonderful job pondering the difference between playful, sexual experimentation between two consenting adults and the humiliation of rape.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this collection of short stories and its thoughtful juxtaposition of sexual violence alongside normal sexual relationships. It is a good one for the beach, if you like a book that makes you pause and look out to the ocean to contemplate the issues the characters confront.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked the sweetness of character in the first two stories, 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Triple Jeopardy (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Ms. Green's "Death Wishes," so I was eager to see what this book was all about. I loved the first two stories in the compilation. There were some sweet and heroic moments to be found in each, and I really enjoyed the characters and the sparks of humor. The third story was a little harder for me, but was still well-written, and I think other people would have an easier time with it. It just deals with some situations that I'm not super-comfy with. Well, the first two have some of those components, but the third has a darker edge to it. Definitely shows another side to this fabulous author!

Triple Jeopardy