5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny if you want to get fit and lose weight
I use my Polar H7 heart rate monitor most days now and never go to the gym or for a run without wearing it. I pair it via my iphone 6 to my polar beat app and also to my icardio app, which syncs with fitbit and then onto myfitnesspal.

Published 7 months ago by markr

1.0 out of 5 stars Great....when it's working.
Published 17 months ago by Liverpooltiger

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny if you want to get fit and lose weight, 19 Nov. 2014

The polar beat app is very good for seeing your heartbeat / calories burned / HR zones but does not talk to other apps so I have icardio also running in the background.

The HR monitor works every time and has helped me lose over 2 stone in weight, reduce my diabetic HB1AC sugar levels to normal (for the first time in 10 years!) and allows me to accurately understand how many calories I burn down the gym/ running, and then increases myfitnesspal with the number of calories I am allowed to eat to maintain my weight.

Happy days now that I clearly understand not only how to lose weight, but also keep it off. For me, the Polar H7 helps me massively to keep fit and motivated. no cheating allowed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Strava on Android 4.4, 21 Jun. 2014
I use Strava every time I go on a bike ride and I wanted a HRM which would integrate nicely with it, this does the job perfectly.

I use Strava on a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4 KitKat and although Strava do not specifically mention this HRM as compatible it connected straight away and shows my heart rate throughout my activity.

I already own a Polar FT7 HRM and the H7 connected to the watch unit straight away so I could leave my phone in my bag/pocket and still view my heart rate on the watch during the ride. The chest strap supplied is the same as that which came with the FT7 and is very comfortable (you hardly notice its there), the transmitter which connects to the chest strap is slightly bigger than the one supplied with the FT7 but it is still very unobtrusive.

I can't comment on battery life because I haven't had the product long enough to do so, however, it is worth remembering to disconnect the transmitter from the chest strap when you're not using it or the battery will drain fast.

All in all a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic on iPhone 4s and now works with iPhone 5 too!, 16 Sept. 2012
Danielle (Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Even though my FT80 came with a HRM strap, I really wanted to synchronise in real-time my Polar data with the apps I was running on my iPhone; the Polar H7 allows you to do exactly this.

Setting it up was a snap with the watch finding it right away and the iPhone apps just needing to be connected individually. I should point out though that at first I thought it was faulty at the unit does not show up in the Bluetooth list as I expected, but is connected though each apps settings screen (the user guide makes no mention of how the device works with an iPhone.)

Once you set up the device and set off, you see your heart rate accurately displayed not only on your watch, but on the app too; something I've found to be *highly* motivating when comparing work-out data as you can easily see your fitness and endurance levels improving with actual data, not just a 'feeling'.

In summary then, a superb product which (for me at least) has really helped me track and improve my fitness, but make sure you use the latest version of your apps for it to work on the iPhone 5.

*update* Since posting this, many of the apps have been updated for the iPhone 5. I can confim that the H7 now works perfectly with the latest versions of the most popular fitness apps (Runkeeper, Endomondo etc.).

*2014 update* Happy to report that the same H7 that I bought a couple of years ago is still working perfectly and still using the original batteries. It also works perfectly with the new Polar Loop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great....when it's working., 11 Jan. 2014
When this is working, it's great & does everything that I could want; especially when linked to the edmondo app. However, & it's a BIG "however"...it is constantly losing its power. The monitor plays dead & nothing, including changing the battery, revives it. An internet search showed this to be a common issue & it's resolved by opening up the battery enclosure & bridging the metal connectors with a paper clip!! It then miraculously comes back to life. I cannot tell you how annoying this is as it can be perfectly ok before you leave the house then, 5 minutes later, at the gym (& without your paper clip!!) it's dead so no recording of results....Grrrrr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improving compatibility, 12 Aug. 2013
A couple of apps now compatible with this and Samsung galaxy S4. Also works perfectly with gym equipment. Remember to disconnect from strap to avoid flat battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little piece of kit this., 14 Jan. 2015
It's smaller than I thought it would be and weighs all of 26g. Works with my iPhone6. Easy to use, and the Nike+ running app picked it up straight away. The device is small and unobtrusive, press-studs secure it to the chest strap, which is easy to adjust and not too tight, I didn't even notice it. The strap gets very sweaty though!! - so you need to rinse it thoroughly to avoid it stinking! Note that your phone or whatever you're using to receive the bluetooth signal must be in front of you - in a pocket is fine - and not behind you, as the signal won't pass through your bod. So, in a backpack is NFG :) The gizmo comes with instructions in about 40 languages all of which went straight in the recycling facility. As there are no user serviceable parts (except to change the battery, which surely is pretty obvious even for complete morons) I'm not sure why all the paper is necessary. Me likey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you are happy to use an elasticated band round your chest., 2 Jan. 2015
The Polar H7 Hear Rate Sensor is a fantastic product for those people looking to take their fitness / exercise training to another level.

Ultimately you will be buying this product to accurately measure your heart rate, and the H7 does this incredibly well.
The advantage of using a separate heart rate sensor over an all in one device is that it can be used with several devices. Having bought a Polar Loop, the two work perfectly in tandem, however the H7 also effortlessly syncs to a whole host of stand alone apps on my iPhone.

One of the key things to look out for with Bluetooth devices are that they are 4.0. The main benefit of this for a heart rate monitor is that the battery life lasts significantly longer than older Bluetooth technology. This feature alone makes the H7 worth paying extra for Vs cheaper alternatives that don't have this feature.

The instructions are clear and simple to use and connecting the device is easy.

The main concern I would have is whether you are comfortable exercising with an elastic band round your chest. Sometimes you do feel a bit restricted and it may be worthwhile investigating the all in one solutions that monitor heart rate from the wrist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says; Polar beat makes the difference, 5 Jun. 2013
I bought this before upgrading my phone so spent some time using with my FT80 as a straightforward HRM transmitter. It worked as well as the original although the clasp was more fiddly and the elastic was not as robust. When I upgraded to iphone 5 that made the world of difference. I now get all the information I need but that is down to the Polar Beat app. There are some niggles which may just be teething problems for me but could take this down to 5 stars. The big one is that the star training programme on the watch does not mesh with the beat training. I am also yet to work how to isolate parts of my training sessions when I am running intervals or at race pace; the polar online notes seem to suggest that I should be using another HRM. The interface is with beat so I would not expect that to be the case.

I love my FT80 for the strength training features and have yet to check them out on beat, although a watch on your wrist in the gym is better than an iphone on your arm. If you are just getting into HRM training the H7and polar beat on your iphone is a cheap way to try it out. The features keep me motivated and I have just started so I will update this review when I am fully up to speed.

My recommendation is to give it a try; well worth it at the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great as long as you're not too far away from your receiver., 24 Jan. 2015
Sean W. Mellor (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a big lad and bought this to help me train more efficiently, also bought an extender for the strap, but this isn't needed, the strap I would guess would happily accommodate upto a 60" chest. The sensor seems to work well, it talks to my iPhone, iPad, gym gear and my polar watch and all works well. The range it claims is to my mind definitely over estimated and mine looses contact if more than a metre or so away from the receiving device. had a problem with the strap and sensor as I didntbuse it for a couple of months and it seemed to stop working, batteries in an out, nothing. No info in the booklet, but a with web search, discovered the sensor and strap could be reset, and when I did this it worked fine again. Handy piece of kit, much more accurate than hand grip sensors on gym equipment and guessing your heart rate. Software and apps to work with it are free for basic version with extras that you can pay for, these are useful and can help plan a good heart rate based workout. Wouldn't train without it now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine when it works. But Polar disinterested if it doesn't!, 23 Sept. 2014
Good when it worked but after circa 13 months it suddenly stopped pairing with any bluetooth devices rendering it useless. I have changed the battery and when that didn't help I have tried and failed to contact Polar. They ignore emails routed via their website. So both the durability of the product and Polar's customer service lets this down.