5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic on iPhone 4s and now works with iPhone 5 too!
Even though my FT80 came with a HRM strap, I really wanted to synchronise in real-time my Polar data with the apps I was running on my iPhone; the Polar H7 allows you to do exactly this.

Published on 16 Sep 2012 by Danielle

1.0 out of 5 stars Great....when it's working.
Published 9 months ago by Liverpooltiger

1.0 out of 5 stars Great....when it's working., 11 Jan 2014
When this is working, it's great & does everything that I could want; especially when linked to the edmondo app. However, & it's a BIG "however"...it is constantly losing its power. The monitor plays dead & nothing, including changing the battery, revives it. An internet search showed this to be a common issue & it's resolved by opening up the battery enclosure & bridging the metal connectors with a paper clip!! It then miraculously comes back to life. I cannot tell you how annoying this is as it can be perfectly ok before you leave the house then, 5 minutes later, at the gym (& without your paper clip!!) it's dead so no recording of results....Grrrrr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic on iPhone 4s and now works with iPhone 5 too!, 16 Sep 2012
Danielle (Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Setting it up was a snap with the watch finding it right away and the iPhone apps just needing to be connected individually. I should point out though that at first I thought it was faulty at the unit does not show up in the Bluetooth list as I expected, but is connected though each apps settings screen (the user guide makes no mention of how the device works with an iPhone.)

Once you set up the device and set off, you see your heart rate accurately displayed not only on your watch, but on the app too; something I've found to be *highly* motivating when comparing work-out data as you can easily see your fitness and endurance levels improving with actual data, not just a 'feeling'.

In summary then, a superb product which (for me at least) has really helped me track and improve my fitness, but make sure you use the latest version of your apps for it to work on the iPhone 5.

*update* Since posting this, many of the apps have been updated for the iPhone 5. I can confim that the H7 now works perfectly with the latest versions of the most popular fitness apps (Runkeeper, Endomondo etc.).

*2014 update* Happy to report that the same H7 that I bought a couple of years ago is still working perfectly and still using the original batteries. It also works perfectly with the new Polar Loop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for use to track heart rate with iPhone 4S, 13 Jan 2013
G. Smith (England) - See all my reviews
I am very impressed with this little gadget. At around £50, it isn't the cheapest model on the market but it does have lots of interoperability with various apps for iPhones as well as Android systems. I have used this with my iPhone 4S and my Nexus 7 (both via bluetooth) and find it to to be accurate.

I tend to use this heart rate monitor at the gym, connected via bluetooth to my iPhone, so that I can track stats using Endomondo, but as well as broadcasting the heart rate to my iPhone over bluetooth, it also broadcasts the rate over the traditional radio frequency so that it is displayed on the machines at the gym. My gym uses Matrix Fitness equipment.

So, how does it work? Well - you button the device onto the strap, add some water to the strap and put it on your chest. Then you go to your phone app and try to pair the monitor with the app. I found that I couldn't connect to the device from my phone using the traditional bluetooth menus; I had to go through the app and click "Pair heart monitor" (or similar text). This was a little unusual so perhaps it is a feature of the new Bluetooth 4.0 BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) - apparently this means it will sap less energy from your phone - this can only be a good thing. With regard the treadmills, static bikes and cross trainers, among other machines at the gym, I simply had to walk near them and my heart rate appeared on the screen. In fact, my heart rate was being broadcast to my machine as well as the machines either side of me - I found this a little quirky, but it didn't bother me. I'm not sure how more than one of these in close proximity would interact with the fitness machines; it could lead to false readings. However, I have yet to experience this.

Overall, you do pay a bit of a premium to have the fancy technology in the device but it is a solidly-built gadget which provides accurate readings (apparently ECG-quality) and is sure to last. Batteries come in the form of a standard CR2025 battery. I say standard because these are slightly smaller than a watch battery (I think!) and you can pick up these batteries for less than £1 each.

I would recommend this item to anyone who wants to measure their heart rate when working out, to anyone who loves gadgets and gizmos, and also to anyone who hates having to hold the dirty metal handles at the gym to find out your heart rate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Strava on Android 4.4, 21 Jun 2014
I use Strava every time I go on a bike ride and I wanted a HRM which would integrate nicely with it, this does the job perfectly.

I use Strava on a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4 KitKat and although Strava do not specifically mention this HRM as compatible it connected straight away and shows my heart rate throughout my activity.

I already own a Polar FT7 HRM and the H7 connected to the watch unit straight away so I could leave my phone in my bag/pocket and still view my heart rate on the watch during the ride. The chest strap supplied is the same as that which came with the FT7 and is very comfortable (you hardly notice its there), the transmitter which connects to the chest strap is slightly bigger than the one supplied with the FT7 but it is still very unobtrusive.

I can't comment on battery life because I haven't had the product long enough to do so, however, it is worth remembering to disconnect the transmitter from the chest strap when you're not using it or the battery will drain fast.

All in all a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improving compatibility, 12 Aug 2013
A couple of apps now compatible with this and Samsung galaxy S4. Also works perfectly with gym equipment. Remember to disconnect from strap to avoid flat battery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working., 19 Aug 2014
This worked for a couple of weeks and then stopped. Replaced batteries and tested on different phone but no Bluetooth signal. Trying to find out how to return to Amazon, not clear on the website how to return faulty goods but says Amazon's return policy does not affect my statutory rights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the bulletproof box, 11 Sep 2014
HonestHammster (Currently Switzerland but changes frequently) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5 (Sports)
Neatly packaged in one of those plastic packs that require a jackhammer and crowbar to budge.
No seriously just use a pair of scissors and snip around the edge and there you go.

As easy to use as other Polar straps – Just adjust it, slip it around your chest, and clip it in securely. Once you have adjusted it for snug fit it is recommended to put a little bit of water to ensure contact between the electrodes and the skin.
The black receiver is a little bigger than some of the other models but still small enough as to not be in the way or obtrusive.
Simply snap on the receiver and it will automatically be picked up by normal gym equipment such as treadmills etc.

To use it on mobile phone, first install the correct application such as Runtastic Pro etc and then merely activate blue tooth on the phone. Worked without a glitch on my iPhone and using it daily for running. I prefer Runtastic Pro over Polar Beat as I also synch this information with Fitbit, Withings, MyFitnessPal etc and Polar Beat does not seem to synch with these yet… (Note the normal Runtastic does not support Heart Rate monitors)

Yes you can connect it via Bluetooth and radio frequency simultaneously and it’s interesting to see that even if the radio frequency gets interference the Bluetooth connection still shows the correct heart rate. I use this for monitoring heart rate on my treadmill while capturing the details in Runtastic Pro.

I have had it drop out once or twice while trail running but it quickly recovered after I adjusted the strap correctly so can’t fault the receiver…
Cannot yet comment on the battery life but will be surprised if it lasts for more than 6 months, which will still be longer than the iWatch 6 minutes...

Definitely does what it says on the box so far and even bought my non-gimmicky wife one so giving it a 5/5. The jury is still out on her feedback so watch this space…

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says; Polar beat makes the difference, 5 Jun 2013
A. J. Howard - See all my reviews
I bought this before upgrading my phone so spent some time using with my FT80 as a straightforward HRM transmitter. It worked as well as the original although the clasp was more fiddly and the elastic was not as robust. When I upgraded to iphone 5 that made the world of difference. I now get all the information I need but that is down to the Polar Beat app. There are some niggles which may just be teething problems for me but could take this down to 5 stars. The big one is that the star training programme on the watch does not mesh with the beat training. I am also yet to work how to isolate parts of my training sessions when I am running intervals or at race pace; the polar online notes seem to suggest that I should be using another HRM. The interface is with beat so I would not expect that to be the case.

I love my FT80 for the strength training features and have yet to check them out on beat, although a watch on your wrist in the gym is better than an iphone on your arm. If you are just getting into HRM training the H7and polar beat on your iphone is a cheap way to try it out. The features keep me motivated and I have just started so I will update this review when I am fully up to speed.

My recommendation is to give it a try; well worth it at the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good once I got it working..., 19 Aug 2014
Initially I could not pair it with an iphone or Samsung s3. Tried all the latest ideas I found on the internet such as removing battery, shorting the contacts reseting bluetooth on the phone. In the end I bought a new battery and that solved the problem. Now connects to either phone. Using Polar Beat app and BLE heart monitor app. Frustrating to start with but hunkey dory now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heart rate monitor for fitness enthusiasts, 7 Oct 2013
Mr. F. Khan "the bfg" (UK) - See all my reviews
POLAR WATCH & ANALOGUE USE: The Polar H7 sensor allows me to sync to my Polar watch and record my information on the analogue system. I go to the Polar website and easily download my workout info and it stores it all there allowing me to look at the basic stats. It also syncs with many gym tread machines, such as Technogym and sends your heart rate info there.

BLUETOOTH USE - The added feature (that i got it for) is it has a Bluetooth sensor which also allows me to sync it to my iphone and record data onto the Polar app (free to download). The latter gives a very basic breakdown of your stats immediately and no need to go home and download the information. (time, date, dur of exercise, calories burned, average heart rate and highest heart rate. It also shows heart rate on a graph for the duration of your activity) Still very a good level of info.

Polar wants you to buy upgrades in the app to get more detailed breakdowns - 4 upgrades all at £1.99-2.50 each.
1. set specific training targets
2. see the effect of your workout in real time
3. measure your fitness in 5 minutes
4. see how your running performance is developing)

But the entry level information the free app offers is more than enough to begin with.

FIT & FEEL
A very nice, comfortable and adjustable strap for all sizes. Easily put on and taken off. Easy to wash and maintain.

Note - The H6 version is Bluetooth only, syncs with the iphone app and doesn't have the analogue capability. So if you have a Polar watch, you won't be able to use it with the H6.