4.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing
When Alice Met Danny looked like a really sweet story and the writing came across in the same manner too. Quirky humour brought life to the plot and it was a cute, feel-good story which touches on the importance of friendship and not letting obstacles stop you from picking yourself back up.

When we meet Alice, she is unaware her whole life is about to change...
Published 6 months ago by Sophie

3.0 out of 5 stars How many Danny's are too many?
When Alice is made redundant little does she know that it's going to trigger the beginning of a whole new life for herself and bring her into contact with no end of new people who coincidentally all appear to have variations of the same name!

Published 7 months ago by Sharon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing, 6 July 2014
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)

When we meet Alice, she is unaware her whole life is about to change. Made redundant from her job, she refuses to let this stop her from living her life and moves to Devon. I knew I was going to like Alice right from the beginning because she didn’t waste half the book moping. However good or bad the choices she made were, she wasn’t afraid to keep on going and her brave and inspiring personality really made me warm to her.

Throughout the book, Alice encounters a lot of new people and virtually every male character did seem to be called Danny – from possible love interests to a soldier to a baby and a dog, you could find a Danny in pretty much every page in this book. I loved this amusing concept although as Alice found it strange how all these Daniels were cropping up, I was just as confused while I tried to remember which Danny was which.

At times this book was quite comedic such as what Alice has to deal with once she’s bought her house. There were other more moving aspects to this story – especially the delving into the war which I hadn’t been expecting but completely enjoyed. I also adore any book which focuses on friendship in a positive, high-spirits kind of way and When Alice Met Danny really was uplifting.

I don’t think it should need to be mentioned but it is always a talking point. T.A. Williams has absolutely backed up that men can write chick-lit. When Alice Met Danny is a charming, entertaining read with a story that couldn’t have been put across any better had a woman written it. If you love a light story which simply makes you smile, T.A. Williams’ latest book is a great choice.

4/5.

*Book gifted for honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cute read!, 14 Sept. 2014
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
When Alice met Danny is maybe the first book in this genre I have read that is written by a man, and T. A. Williams has done a splendid job!

The writing is instantly gripping, and I was hooked from the first line. This book is relaxing, Alice is so charming, you instantly warm to her, I felt bad for her when she realised her bargain of a house was a house for a reason. She handles this really well, showing her strong character.

I found Alice finding lots of Danny’s really funny – though I think I connect with this because the name Sarah follows me around – Loads of people, beginning while I was at school call me Sarah (even in replying to emails from Rachel!) and the only two other people in my office I work with have wives called Sarah, very weird lol!

The Dannys that Alice met were all very different. You have 3 adult Dannys, all with different personalities. Danny her work friend who is really friendly, and you can instantly tell he fancies the pants off Alice. Her new Neighbour ‘My friends call me Danny’ who I had reservations about from the beginning, he was just a tiny bit creepy in my opinion. Finally there was the local landowner Daniel, who has a mysterious persona, but came across so nice, I really liked him! As well as those there was baby Danny, and Danny the adorable black Labrador that Alice ends up adopting.

The best Danny in my opinion however, was one you only learned about from letters sent by him in WW1 that Alice finds in the house that she bought These were so interesting to read, and I loved how this really intrigued Alice about finding out exactly who this Danny was, and inspiring her to learn more about World War 1.

The rest of the cast were all very lovely and welcoming, you got a real sense of small village community life.

This book was really warming, delightful read, and another one that could easily have been read in one sitting, had real life not interfered.

3.0 out of 5 stars How many Danny's are too many?, 2 July 2014
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)

Alice was such a delightful character who made the best of the circumstances that she found herself in after a blind auction, I'm sure most of us would have curled up and cried.... I know I would have. But she literally threw herself into making the best of a cringeworthy situation, you'll have to read the book to see exactly what I mean, and turned things around. I also loved discovering how her relationships with one character then tied in with another which in a small rural village is so true to life.

As for the rest of the characters, I did find myself having a little chuckle every time Alice encountered a new Daniel, Dan or Danny... although if any more had been added to the mix I think it might have been just one Danny too many!

When Alice Met Danny is the author T. A. Williams first foray into the world of romantic comedy fiction novels and as such he's definitely hit the nail on the head as there was just the right balance between comedy and romance. An awesome read ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Suz, 17 July 2014
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
A story of Alice who starts a new life in Devon and a beautiful picture perfect village. Not everything is perfect for Alice, but as with all good stories there is a silver lining on every cloud.

Lovely written even tho some of the language used by the characters is too formal for today. The descriptions of the places are heavenly, making you want to rush to the coast and its beauty. Add the first world war references and we have a dream like book. Perfect for a summers afternoon read.

2.0 out of 5 stars When Alice Met Danny, 7 Jun. 2014
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
This is a cosy light read that you don’t need to think too hard about. I really loved the beginning, especially when Alice bought a house blind at an online auction and ended up with much, much more than she bargained for. It was quite inventive for the previous owner of her new home to have been a hoarder, and the descriptions of the house were just bleuurrrrrghhhhh! To be honest, that was the best part of the book and the rest of the story just didn’t quite hit the mark for me. I found it hard to believe that she could have been friends with someone at work for so long and yet know nothing about their private life. This lack of knowledge leads to a misunderstanding which, to be honest, was a little predictable.

The one thing that I really didn’t like about this book though was the dialogue. It just didn’t seem natural and didn’t flow right. People don’t talk the way they do in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
This was unlike the authors previous stories, but no less enjoyable.

Alice is a great character and she is the one who holds the story together. The way her life changes almost overnight is a shock to her system. But she quickly picks herself up, dusts herself off, and gets on with her life.

I loved how her new life starts off. She decides to move away, buys herself a house as a doer upper. But nothing prepares herself for quite how much she actually needs to do to it. The scene where she discovers it, and quite how bad it is, is so cringeworthy it is funny! I don't mean cringeworthy in that it is badly written. I mean the house she has bought is so bad, and the authors description of quite how bad had me seeing it in my head as Alice walks round!

The way Alice meets Danny, or several Danny's, is brilliant. The coincidences don't stop there either. The author reveals a lot more throughout the book.

Does Alice keep any of the Danny's? If she does is it the one you, the reader, think it will be? Or is it, perhaps, fated that she will end up with none of them?

I loved this story as it is different to others I have read lately, and also shows a different side to the author himself. I honestly have no idea where this author may take us next, but I guarantee it won't disappoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 25 July 2014
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
Alice is really devastated to lose her job, and decides it might be the ideal time to move away from London, and buy a small cottage on the coast in Devon. She rents out her London flat to her colleague Danny, who she befriends before she leaves, and buys a house at auction, without seeing it first. However, Alice is in for a shock when she visits after purchasing it, and finding out it's a dump - crammed full of the items of a hoarder, with the most hideous stench, and overgrown garden to boot. Alice rents a room in a local guesthouse while she renovates her new home, and makes some new friends... with rather a lot of them called Danny. There's Danny, the local landowner (although best known as Daniel), Danny the baby of the lady next door, Danny the dog... Danny's appear to be everywhere in Alice's life - is it a sign?!

As you can see, as well as Alice, the majority of the other characters in this book are called Danny. Luckily, I didn't find it too confusing because they are obviously all very different, especially the baby and the dog, and it's not something I have read before in any book, so I liked that it was a unique idea. The character of Alice was very likeable, you could see why she wanted to move out of London for a break, the town she moves to in Devon sounds idyllic, a real tight community and I could see why she wanted to stay there. The descriptions of the house she buys are perfect - they really highlight the state that the house is in; the junk, the grime, the smell - all of it comes to life in the writing and you can't help but think Alice should running as far away from the house as she could get. I liked all the different things going on in the book too - I was never bored, and Alice always had something fun on the go - even the sadder scenes were written with care, and done really well.

The relationships that Alice forms in the book are good too, especially with 'London Danny', who we learn later to be 'windsurfer Danny' too - you do have to concentrate to keep an eye on who is who! I liked how easily Alice made friends, from Alice to the lady living next door, and her landlady too. Alice seems like someone who is easy to befriend and get to know. While the characters were enjoyable to read about, it was their dialogue that really let the book down for me. All of the conversations in the book felt really wooden to me, not at all like you'd expect conversation to flow in real life, and I found it a bit cringey to read at times. I just felt it wasn't a true reflection of real people's chats like it usually is when I read a book, and it was hard work for me. It's a shame, as the story was a great idea, but it was massively let-down by this aspect of the book for me.

I found this to be a fairly enjoyable read, the story was a unique idea, something that actually worked quite well in the book, but there were elements of it which left me wanting to knock a few stars off. For me, conversation/dialogue in a novel are really important, they are often my favourite parts of a book. When they aren't done properly, it can spoil the other parts of the book, and this was the case for me. I'm sure it's something that can be worked on, because the rest of the book flowed well and was enjoyable to read, it's just something for me that I couldn't get past. A beautiful setting, some really good descriptive writing and characters that you can invest in and care about - the bare bones are there to provide a great backbone to the story, and if the dialogue were better, it would have been a pretty brilliant read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and charming read, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
“When Alice met Danny" is a witty and charming read. I thought the “Danny's” at every turn was like a Woody Allen film and thoroughly delightful. It really was a refreshing novel.

T.A. Williams creates a stunning book with wonderful characters and captures Alice's persona perfectly. I couldn't believe that T.A. Williams was man- this book is written like a woman wrote it.

“When Alice met Danny” is the perfect summer read. Beautifully written with a touch of humour. It is one book I plan to read over and over. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this story, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story, it was full of surprises, beautifully written. I liked the referenes to the W.W. 1, it was very moving. The relationship between Alice and her Dannys were so different and amusing. It was a very touching story. I would recommend it to all the romantics everywhere.

Hazel R.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 July 2014
This review is from: When Alice Met Danny (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. The characters were so easy to like and understand. Just how many Danny's can one woman meet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›