4.0 out of 5 stars A good affordable Windows phone
Last year I bought a Lumia 520, but decided to try this model as a present for a relative (who liked the 520 so I thought the newer model would be a good bet for a purchase now) Overall the phone is very good, though the bar has been raised a bit since the 520 came out (which at the time was in my view ahead of many comparable Android offerings)

Still the phone...
Published 2 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, especially the hardware, but seemingly easy to fix software niggles really do ruin the overall experience.
This is a great phone and I think it offers nearly everything you would realistically need unless you have more specific demands.

It's lightweight, the battery seems to last a good time. The screen looks fine quality even next to a high DPI screen like on the newer iPhones.

Replaceable back covers and batteries is great too, no longer stuck paying a...
Published 2 months ago by Whippy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good affordable Windows phone, 15 July 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 630 4.5 inch, 8Gb, UK Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black (Electronics)

Still the phone does has some improvements over the previous model.
Just like the 520 the phone uses a "micro sim" card so if you don't have one you can exchange it, or drop into a shop like the Carphone Warehouse and they can cut your normal sim down (for free) with a punch device.

A quick hit list of some good and bad points for me

Good:
+ Faster newer processor, this time we have a Quad core, 1200 MHz, ARM Cortex-A7 feels quite speedy in use
+ Battery life is improved with a larger capacity (1830 mAh)
+ Screen size is increased to 4.5" (though the back/windows/search buttons are now on the display itself taking up a bit of space)
+ IPS LCD has good contrast and viewing angles (probably down to the Gorilla Glass 3 and clearblack screen) Good touch accuracy too.
+ Rear camera is fairly good 28mm f2.4 lens, no LED flash but clear shots (5mp image size) and decent but not outstanding 720p HD video
+ Build is perfectly fine for a handset in this price range, you can change the covers to suit your taste
+ Battery can be removed or replaced (not the case with all these smart phones)
+ Blue tooth 4 and A-GPS (and Nokia Maps is good)

Cons:
- No dedicated camera button (strange move)
- LCD is better in terms of viewing angles but PPI is 218 (not bad but a bit lower than I'd like)
- Still no front facing camera (even a simple basic one would be useful) no LED flash
- No ambient light sensor (though the display is good in bright light for viewing)

Windows 8.1 offers some improvements over the previous version more tiles on the screen and a drop down "android style" menu for settings. Note the 520 can be updated to 8.1 also (so don't update just for this) NFC is becoming quite popular and it would have been nice to see that added here.

Lumia 520 v 630
Improved in most ways but the 630 loses the light sensor, and it also has lost the camera button. Probably not a disaster for most but worth a mention. Photo quality looks a bit better on the 630 though it has the same 1/4" sensor and lens it could be an improved sensor sharper images and less noise in low light. Don't expect miracles though the lack of flash will limit low light shooting. Battery wise mixed bag the light sensor probably helped the 520 save some power, but you have a larger capacity cell here. Real world expect a bit more standby and talk time, watch the power eating apps though. Heavy users will probably need a daily charge.

Body wise the 630 is a touch longer, and a bit more rounded both feel good in the hand. It's a shame the screen pixel density didn't get a bump, it's good enough but the size increase means it's not quite a sharp as the 520 is, not a lot in it but worth mentioning.

Day to day use both phones are quite fast (don't assume a quad cover v dual core is twice as quick) 630 edges it out here. They both use the same graphics core (Adreno 305) and seem similar in 3d/game performance. Both have the same 512MB of ram (one area I'd like to see improved, though it seems adequate for day to day use)

Apps wise things have improved here not to iOS or Android levels but much better than a year ago. If you're on the fence about the Android v Windows phone element, have a play with both and see what you like. Android has the advantage of huge support, and it's familiar to many people, I do like the live tiles on the Windows phones though (you can skin an Android phone to mimic this, albeit not as good)

The person I bought the phone for is very pleased with it, easy to use and the "live tiles" on Windows phones is attractive and practical, Win 8.1 adds some improvements to customisation and layout (more tiles and smaller tiles if required) Being honest I think the 630 is good, but it's not a massive improvement over the 520 (I expected a bit more here) and since the 520 came out there have been quite a lot of Android handsets released, the Moto G is a tough beast to beat (screen is excellent on the Moto)

Still it's a solid phone and worthy of attention, for Lumia 520 owners I'd look higher up the Nokia range for a more substantial update, for newer buyers the 520 is still a decent phone at a low price. Not the major step forward some might have expected, but still the 630 is worth looking at.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far impressed., 26 Jun 2014
K. Mayes (Norwich) - See all my reviews
I'm making the switch from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to this phone, everything about this phone is quality.

I was looking for a phone that operated quickly, had all the basics covered ( phone, text, email, camera, maps ) and had a decent battery life ( 1 day + ). The new Galaxy phones seemed to be loaded with gimmicks that I was not interested in; and I've never bought into Apple ecosystem.

In the end I bought a Nokia 630; and to be honest I'm totally impressed. Windows 8.1 is excellent OS, all basics are covered and work as expect. Typing on the onscreen keyboard works much better than the Android keyboard, text prediction seems to select the correct word with surprising accuracy (especially with my fat fingers). The phone has features you might expect in models that are much more expensive. For instance, Find My Phone for them times when you've misplaced it, Remote lock & Wipe as well for if it ever gets stolen. The camera works, the images are good.
For music lovers there is Nokia's Mix Radio, where you select several favorite artists and it will start playing songs from these artists and/or similar artists you might like. It's great for potentially discovering new bands you might not of heard of.

Lets talk about the Elephant in the room.. APPS.. Everybody told me how Windows 8.1 doesn't have the app support of the other two Android & Apple. Well if you counting the number of apps they would be right, but how many silly noise apps do you need in your life?. Check out windows store if there is an app you MUST have, chances are it exists. Oh the Facebook app on W8.1 works much better than the android version ever did.

I've had no issues setting the phone up with my gmail account for email nor importing contacts from my google contacts list. From putting the sim in and typing in a few account details I was good to go. I cannot wait for Cortana later on this year (hopefully not too late), as some features included there are currently missing. One for instance is quiet hours (aka. turning the phone sounds off whilst I sleep).

The only annoyance I do have with the phone is it insists on being on whilst charging. I like to charge the phone overnight whilst asleep, with my android I'd just turn the phone off, plug in charger and it was golden. With the Nokia as soon as the charger is plugged in the phone switches on again.

I highly recommend this phone, it's got great specifications for a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Mobile, 8 Jun 2014
This is one excellent mobile. I must admit after years of being an avid Android fan my allegiances are switching.
The new windows os 8.1 is brilliant. The operating system uses so little power its easy to do two days of usage. I'm currently on day three of charge & still 32% although i admit it's a second phone so not using to its limits just yet.
The 630 I purchased was actually from Carphonewarehouse for 99.95 & was sim-free. If you buy the phone on sim-free basis they charge you 129.95, strange.
I would recommend this mobile to someone who likes minimal design & application.
The design is minimal just being a 4.5 screen, which I personally believe is perfect & is also made of gorilla glass 3 & a nice hard & interchangeable plastic back cover. Simple power/unlock & volume button on the right side.
Also windows 8.1 os is very data friendly & when left in standby will only use approx 1mb per day. Put that next to my Android Nexus 5 that on standby will use approx 17 mb. They are running almost identical apps on the test.
Im lucky that the limited apps i use are all available on the windows store but be aware the windows store has far less apps than Android but most of the prominent apps are all there.
I don't use my phone for games as i have a games console to do that & i also use a digital camera for photography, so will hardly ever use the phones camera. The camera is a 5 megapixel & no flash although on testing whilst walking my dog, i found the camera produced very nice pictures & the phone also includes the Nokia camera app that is incredibly versatile.
The phones biggest surprises was a removable battery & micro sd card slot. The phone has 8GB of its own storage with about 5GB usable, so I also put in a 32GB card for pics, music. I also noted some apps can be stored on the card, very nice. You can also utilise approx 15GB free in the One Drive.
There is also a wonderful idea built in that allows you to connect to wi-fi spots without having to log in your details every time you hit one. The phone automatically generates a false number, name & email so keeping your details private & having your email
inbox bombarded with junk.
You can also produce & edit microsoft office documents as spreadsheets, word etc are accessible through office.
I also do not get the terrible feeling of dread when using phones like GS4 & the likes where you have to treat with kids gloves in case you happened to drop the device. The Nokia 630 feels very robust & lets face it you could buy five or more for the price of one smartphone flagship device.
I used to be a massive fan of all the new technology that the flagship devices were being released with, when it suddenly dawned that these mid range or even entry level devices had all the applications I really required. My most common purpose is e-mails & the accounts can be made to accept messages instantly or sync every 15, 30 minutes & so on & a new feature that lets the phone decide how the user interfaces with the device how much you really require the sync, again saving battery & data.
I had been seriously looking at the new LG G3 but with an expected price of 500+ I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with the Nokia 630.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of phone for a little money, 8 July 2014
This phone is certainly decent bang for buck. With it's quad core cpu it runs very smoothly, menus and main functions are all very snappy. Camera starts fast and takes pretty nice pictures in good light/outdoors, even though it's no pureview. Pictures, videos and games all look good on the 4.5" screen even if it isn't the highest res in the world.

The large screen also means it's easy to text on...I generally can't get to grips with txting on touchscreens apart from galaxy note and lumia 1320 size screens, but the windows phone 8 keyboard on a 4.5" is surprisingly doable for me :)

Having windows phone 8.1 out the box is also nice with drop down quick settings and notifications much quicker to access now. It's finally maturing as a phone os... If only they could add the ability to copy contacts *to* the sim, that would be good lol. Another nice upgrade is the ability to install apps direct to micro sd now, so loads of space. I have no complaints about the apps available either. Less variety but higher quality than android IMHO, and some great xbox type games.

I also love the maps and satnav Drive apps. Very fast and accurate. Finally might get an in car holder for my phone and replace my dedicated Garmin satnav.

Only snags I've found are as follows... No flash at all, so forget indoor/low light photography. No ambient light sensor, so no auto light levelling, you have to manually adjust between low/medium/high. This however means you'll probably leave it on a higher setting most of the time so you can see it outdoors, and in turn the battery will drain faster as a result. Speaking of which, the battery does drain quite fast with use. Will go a few days of standby with light calling and texting no bother, but add in anything heavier like maps, videos or games and it almost feels like you can watch the battery icon drop in real time. At least it has a removable battery though! :)) I also miss the dedicated two stage camera button most lumias come with.

A final niggle I've not found a solution to is that the software back/windows/search "buttons" which replace the hardware buttons usually found just below the visible screen area seem to stay lit up all the time. This means they are quite distracting and annoying when say watching videos on Netflix or the like. Hopefully a software patch will fix this in time though, either that or someone can tell me I'm just being thick and let me know where the setting to adjust this is... ;)

In summary though, for the price paid it's a perfectly capable phone which should serve most people well enough. If it had a better camera with flash it would suit me perfectly, but will still serve me as a perfect stop gap until I can afford a lumia with a pureview. I find it amazing you can get so much sim free phone for just over a hundred quid...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone., 1 Aug 2014
This was my second smartphone to replace an old HTC wildfire. The phone is a masterpiece! For about 25% the cost of an iPhone! I recently took the phone to Portugal. I downloaded the portugal maps to the map application. This is excellent. It downloaded the WHOLE COUNTRY. I used the phone to navigate my way through Lisbon, it turns on the GPS so you know exactly where you are.

I read in some articles about the phone that one thing where is falls down on (due to its low cost) is the screen. I cant notice this, to me the screen is pin sharp. The camera is also good. The battery is also excellent, lasting about 4 days.

They also say that Nokia/windows lacks in not having many apps. Consider however that most of the apps for anything worthwhile are available for this phone.

I am very pleased at the decision I made to buy this Phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is going to be useful, 11 Jun 2014
Purchased five days ago. I am a phone app developer, so have lots of phones – WP and Android. The 630 is lighter and easier in the pocket than the 625, and much improved from the 620. The windows buttons at the base of the phone could have been lower down, there is about 10mm of dead space at the bottom of the phone. Phone calls are clear, signal is good. The missing camera button would be a pain if I wanted to quickly whip out the camera and photograph something. But the benefit of the missing camera button is that there is finally some way of picking up a Lumia phone by the sides without accidently pressing a button. Also, the Nokia camera app is much improved, with manual photographic controls now similar to a basic SLR (including bracketing and speed shooting), and I can take a bit more time varying the camera before taking the photo and get a better photo. The Windows Phone 8.1 is more of an interconnected system than its predecessor WP8, which felt like a collection of individual apps. In terms of development, I can build a single project that will install on this phone (WP8.1) and on Windows 8 desktop, which is a great opportunity for me. The most remarkable thing about this phone is that it is available for less than 100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic device, extra bonous now that it comes with Windows Phone 8.1, 31 May 2014
For a budget handset this is perfect however is worth taking into account that with SIM should be cheaper.

This is the first official Windows Phone 8.1 in the UK and the improvements and new features are great, the notification centre was the main missing feature which is now added also absolutely love the new swipe keyboard is something one would never even would imagine it could be so easy and addictive to use.

The design of device is perfect so is the quality also you can use the MicroSD card to store/install almost anything meaning there is very high limits on storage if you add a memory card :-)

Shame there is no front facing camera and dedicated camera button however it is meant to be a budget handset and for that grade it offers more than expected.

Windows Phone 8.1 is truly a game changer as many doors have been opened up for the developers and devices also with Cortana coming soon this is more exciting times.

5.0 out of 5 stars The nokia lumia 630 great value for money, 11 Aug 2014
Ted Hockham (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
recently got hold of one of these little beauty's originally purchased the 630 In orange but changed over to a yellow case since that's more me for the price tag its fantastic for texting phoning gaming emails web browsing watching videos great battery life.

now the pros are out the way time for the cons no led flash no front facing camera no wireless charging or NFC highest data speed is 3G

despite this bare in mind its incredibly cheap and great for a first timer to having a smart phone for everything you get despite some features missing its great value for money and there for it gets five stars from me specs as follows

.Primary camera sensor size: 5 MP.
.Display size: 4.5''.
.Display resolution: FWVGA (854 x 480).
.Processor name: Snapdragon 400. quad core 1.2 gigahertz
.Maximum talk time (3G): 13.1h.
.Battery capacity: 1830mAh.
.colour options black/white/orange/green/yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone - Superb Price, 8 Jun 2014
Having had a Lumia 820 since the beginning of 2013, I had no hesitation to choose another Lumia phone for my wife once she had finally had enough of the Android phone she was using.

The Lumia 630 is, as is expected from Nokia, a very well made unit and although feels a little more light weight than my Lumia 820 (mainly down to the bright interchangeable cover) it sits in the hand very nicely. So its a little cut down - no front camera and no earphone as standard for example - but this phone is a whole 100+ less than the 820 and provides excellent value for money.

The Lumia 630 is the launch product for the revised Windows Phone OS (8.1) and the changes are all very well thought out and bring enhanced functionality (too numerous to mention!) to the experience, rather than Apple and Android's changes than just seem to 'done' without the end user in mind. Once Microsoft's exciting new digital assistant called 'Cortana' makes her appearance later this year, then this will be without doubt the OS that pushes the boundaries. The Windows Phone experience is just far less clunky than IOS or Android as everything just seems to fall to hand is intuitive to use.

The sheer speed of the 630 for the money is amazing with super smooth scrolling and response - something that the budget Android phones struggle with (just ask my wife!) - and you'll struggle to find another phone just quite so advanced for the money.

The Lumia 630 is an excellent phone at a superb price - and this is probably the phone that will make the breakthrough that Windows Phone has needed.

My wife loves the phone and especially the luminous orange cover which makes finding the phone in her handbag a lot easier!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice green Nok, 26 Jun 2014
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Replacing my pretty knackered Lumia 800 I have had this a few weeks now and been very happy with it. It is light, practical and the latest software version is good improvement on an already decent mobile OS. The green part of the phone is actually a sort of tray that clips on and off the screen easily so the battery, SIM card and memory slot are easily accessible (take that tiny iPhone!) with no tools or long nails required. Swapping colours is therefore dead easy so if the orange or black takes your fancy later on you're sorted. Being honest, it does feel a little bit cheap but that's because it is. It's no iPhone 5c (altough more than 1 person has mistaken it for one) but it's less than a quarter of the price (I paid 99.95 plus 10 top up from CPW) and comes with a bigger screen and a quad core processor.

It comes in a very small box but does include an excellent small form charger and it has the now standard mini USB charging port. Set up is dead simple and you're good to go on the excellent Windows Phone 8.1 within a couple of minutes. Contacts transfer was quick and easy and it carried my texts over too but not my groups. Connecting to my Ford Audio was also a doddle. The camera is good enough, I've taken (and tweaked onboard) some really good shots with this but no front facing lens or hard button operation will make the ubiquitous selfies a bit tricky.

If you have used older Windows versions you will be on familiar ground but with a few tweaks making the whole experience smoother, easier and more "funner". I particularly like the drag down shortcut bar at the top to quickly get you into Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings etc. Facebook is ever present of course and integrates well with your contacts (their contact photos update when changed) but you can bin that if you're of a certain age and add more tiles to liven up an already funky but functional interface. It will show fifteen large and up to sixty small tiles on the single home screen with as many others as you like just a scroll away. Live tiles rock basically. In the eighteen months I owned my last Nok, it didn't hang on me once and I fully expect the same with this. Having used various Android phones over the years I have no desire to go back to that and the multiple home pages.

Despite the seemingly low res, the large screen is bright and detailed for the price and Nokias always ship with a load of GOOD apps to enhance the experience, not that the Store is the barren wasteland it once was anymore. I particularly like swipe texting in horizontal mode - no need to pay for an extra app like I did for my Android Tab. All in all, this is a great value bit of kit which I will be happy to use for the next couple of years or so and although no flash/torch is a bit of a miss I'm luvvin' the green meanie.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Brief comparison to Lumia 625

Having spent a little while with a 625 also I'm pleased I went for this one because:

Better screen - higher ppi (199 vs 218) and resolution does mean a sharper experience
Weight - the 625 is 25g (almost 20%) heavier than the 630 and does feel a bit of a (slippery) lump in comparison
Windows 8.1 - very impressed with the extra tweaks over 8.0 though the 625 may get the update in the future
Do note however the 625 does have a slightly bigger screen and 4G capability so is still worth considering if the latter is a priority