4.0 out of 5 stars A change of direction for an Inspector Grace novel
Want You Dead, Peter James, Macmillan, 2014, 405pp.

Published 2 months ago by No More Mr. Mice Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam I'm afraid
I am a big fan of the Roy Grace series but I found this book to be very disappointing. The villain of the piece, Bryce Laurent was
Published 1 month ago by mlc

4.0 out of 5 stars A change of direction for an Inspector Grace novel, 2 Aug 2014
No More Mr. Mice Guy (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Want You Dead (Hardcover)
Want You Dead, Peter James, Macmillan, 2014, 405pp.

This is an interesting Inspector Roy Grace novel, but unfortunately it is time-sharing with the story of the decaying relationship between the young lady whose story dominates the novel, and her loony sociopath ex-boyfriend who is stalking her with a campaign of arson and murder. Inspector Grace doesn’t even get a mention on the dust-jacket of the hardcover edition, not even on the inside of the front cover. The two stories – that of Red Westwood and that of Inspector Grace and his supporting cast eventually merge as the violence escalates, but they are definitely two separate stories for much of the book. I wasn’t particularly interested in the fine detail of Ms Westwood’s life and relationships, well-researched and written as it was; though I can’t complain about it being here, as the book wasn’t advertised as an Inspector grace novel, and I had to skim through the pages in the library to discover that it, in fact, was. I can only speculate that the author considered this an important story to tell, or he and his publisher wanted to stretch his wings and find a new audience for his books; but, I repeat, it isn’t advertises as a Roy Grace story.

That being said, as well as the police procedural story, there is much change and progress in the life of Roy Grace and his supporting cast: his friend Glenn Branson is now a single father, and Grace himself celebrates his wedding in this story, which is attended by his first wife Sandy and their ten-year-old son... The story is excellently told, and there are a number of places where hints are dropped and paths are crossed which may or may not have a bearing on the story (or even a future one). Old characters make their returns, and at least regular one makes their exit, for even the Police suffer at the hands of this particular criminal.

The story of Ms Red Westwood is hard to describe without giving too much away, but she is an intelligent, professional young woman, whose ex-boyfriend turned out to be an abusive fantasist who remains fixated on her, and is driven to murder by her eventually taking a new boyfriend. Her evolution as a character from abused and self-blaming victim to abused but fighting-back heroine is well-described – though how many abused women in the real world have the support and internal resources to overcome their ’programming’ in this way is open to question.

The villain of the piece, the ex-boyfriend, is a fairly one-dimensional character, and does seem to have escaped from a Hollywood thriller.

So, to sum up; this is an excellent (and important episode in the) Roy Grace story, but it shares the book with a second story which I did not have any real personal interest in; BUT, as this is not advertised as a Roy Grace story, so you can’t justifiably complain about that aspect of the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam I'm afraid, 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
completely unbelievable and his prey, Red Westwood a weak and boring character, as is the 'perfect' Cleo. In fact I was rather hoping that Sandy shook them all up a bit but alas it was not to be. It's the only book in the series that I have skimmed through just to find out the ending, which wasn't really worth waiting for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite in the Roy Grace series, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
As we are now in the grip (or not) of the World Cup, I would say in football parlance that for me, this book represented a game of two halves. Despite being a Peter James fan, and having read all of the previous Roy Grace novels, I found this not to be one of his best.

I found the shift away from Grace and his team as fairly prominent characters to almost bit players a negative move. It might have worked for me had I been taken with the main plot and the featured characters of Red and her sociopathic stalker ex, Bryant. As it was in the first half I found the plot too bogged down with repetitive detail, revealed via the counselling sessions with her therapist. I wasn't sympathetic to the character of Red, far from seeing her as a strong, independent character refusing to be a victim, I found her to be quite naive, if not stupid in her actions. For example, what female estate agent (given real life events) would deliberately falsify contact details in her work diary, before going to meet a client, a complete stranger, in an empty property. - especially when she knows her ex is a threat.

I was more engaged when the plot concentrated on Grace, his forthcoming nuptials to Cleo, and the team that we have come to know and in most cases love. Inevitably Sandy does make an appearance, though whether that story resolves itself I can't say. For me the novels are as much about their stories as the crimes they are investigating. The team come more into play once the plot becomes more focused on Bryant as a suspect, rather than what he intends to do and why.

Reading this review back, it feels very negative, but given how much I've enjoyed the others, it is my attempt to explain why I didn't like this as much. Peter James is a terrific writer, and this is not a bad book, it has all the drama, tension and shocks that you want from a good thriller, it just didn't do it for me, like some of his others. I'll still be waiting for news of the next one to see how things progress for Grace and his team.

I received my ebook via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of the Roy Grace novels, and the first ones were page turners. Not sure when they started to lose impetus. This latest one was a huge disappointment. As several people before me have mentioned, both the " heroine" and the "baddie" are both soulless and very annoying in equal amounts. How can we believe in a character who is supposed to be terrified of her ex fiance, yet at every turn rejects the police advise. As for Bryce, would he really continue to live in an area where wanted pictures and TV programmes have featured him. Mind you the people of Brighton & Hove appear to be a bit dimwitted about not recognising this person. He came across as a totally unbelievably person who's actions suspended belief. If he had been toned down considerably he would have been much more creepy. What was the point of Red's (stupid name) parents/sister/brother in law and girlfriend to the plot, they added nothing to the storyline except to make her appear to be incapable of having a normal relationship. What was the point of Sandy reappearing?

Why did Mr James feel that it was necessary to repeat, in some cases several times, certain points. For example the description of the wedding in the dream quickly followed by an almost exact description of the actual wedding; going through security at the airport twice, same words; facts about his colleagues lives etc. We are not stupid, please don't treat us as such. I find other authors with several books about the same character do the same, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Time maybe to pension Roy Grace off. I suppose that as long as people buy the books the character will remain, and even more ridiculous plotlines will appear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't wait to start this book, wish I hadn't of bothered. Kept thinking it will get better, it didn't. Sorry, this is far the worse in the Roy Grace series, I even thought it might be a good idea to kill Roy off this time, glad he didn't, I'll give him another chance. The characters were awful, including the main heroine Red, didn't take to her at all. I think the Sandy story was good, but has run its course, I really wanted her to identify herself this time, maybe not exactly as the dream, that really would have been to laughable. Hope the next one is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding edge of your seat read, 2 Jun 2014
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
This book's an absolute stormer and worth every penny of day of publication price. Thanks to Kindle and 3g, the latest offering from Peter James arrived just after midnight. I couldn't resist a peek; big mistake, despite being tired, I was totally immersed for a couple of hours in what, I believe, is one of the best plot lines so far in the Grace series. A timely look at Internet dating and stalking.

One of the strengths of these books is the development of the main characters. But each may be read as a standalone too. Roy Grace is settled with a second wife and new baby. The question of Sandy, his former wife, has arisen consistently and this book is no exception. But is the mystery solved? I'm not giving any clues on that one! Grace is a solid and likeable individual. Intelligent, compassionate and occasionally troubled. I'm enjoying the way, as readers, we move forward with him. We share life's ups and downs and the demands of leading a Serious Crime team and striking the right work/life balance. There's been a promotion within his team and it's good to see the chemistry between individuals still at play.

These stories work particularly well as strong, well rounded police procedurals full of the challenges, pressures and tensions of major crime policing. There's a real sense of urgency as the chapters mark off dates and time. The narrative is explored from a number of viewpoints; police, victims and offender. I love the way the reader is often one step ahead of Grace. We know what Bryce intends to do and I was willing Grace to make the right connections in time! The pace is absolutely relentless.

Peter James is also a master at exploring the deviant psyche. It's almost uncomfortable at times, interpreting the world and seeing victims through the eyes and mind of Bryce, a stalker bent on revenge and retribution. He's a man whose moral compass is in free fall following rejection. Being exposed to his rationale and thought process is unsettling; his 'normal' is way out of comfort zone and incredibly chilling. But that's because he works so well as a character. With both depth and dimension, his horrific plans to mete out his form of justice to achieve salvation are brutal but plausible. And the fear experienced by others is almost palpable. Then the relief when the threat's over only to be followed by another twist...he took me every step of the way!

It's a stunning psychological thriller, taut and full of the unexpected. The tension builds and builds to bursting point. It's a compelling and truly frightening study of the nature of obsession and the effects on victims and their family. It works well in every way and at every level and I loved it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A stupid plot and very poor characters ruined any enjoyment from ..., 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
I could not wait to read this latest book but it was awful in the extreme. The constant repetitive texts were mind numbing. A stupid plot and very poor characters ruined any enjoyment from the book. Roy Grace books have slowly got worst. Time for Peter James to up his game. Much tighter editing needed and some careful thinking on where some plot lines are going. I look forward to the next book but my patience is wearing thin !!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
My only regret is that I foolishly didn't read the other reviews before purchasing this book. It was awful. I have read, and enjoyed, many of Peter James' books but with this one he has made a monumental mistake. The characters were so unbelievable (literally). In reality, the victim would never have been so naive. The attempts at humour were like something out of a low-budget Americal film. The perpetrator - what can I say. His name should be Houdini. I didn't even reach half-way with this book and have deleted it from my kindle. What made it worse I'd just read a suspense-filled, gripping book along the theme of stalking, "Into the Darkest Corner" - no comparison with "Want You Dead".

1.0 out of 5 stars ... books fab this one was hard going not the best was glad to finish it, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
last thee books fab this one was hard going not the best was glad to finish it. Love his books but this one was the worst i have read and have read them all.

1.0 out of 5 stars one dimensional story and characters, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
Shame that this was published. As a keen fan of James's writing I downloaded this to take my mind off my recovery from an operation. Usually , a James's novel can be guarantee to grip and I rad them in a day or two. This one took a week as the characters ( really only 2 apart from the sussex police) were not credible . The story line seemed to drag on and some if the actions taken had predictable results. I wasn't really interested in the outcome in the end .