5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be surprised, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Love's Prey (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because I'd read much of the author's previous work and wanted to see what she'd do with a romance story. First, let me say this: I hate romance stories and would normally never consider reading one. Second, I only read this one because of the author and the way that she'd earned my trust and loyalty as a reader. But I wasn't fully prepared for what I found inside.

The romance story is genuine, heartfelt, and feels as real as any story you've heard first-person from someone relating how they met the love of their life. The characters and the push-and-shove of their young courtship are vivid and present, and none of it has the contrivances that, frankly, I hate about the genre.

What defies belief, however, is the way that Ms Xuemei describes growing up in a small town in Southern China, and make no mistake, it will alarm you and set your teeth on edge. Though the time period isn't defined, it feels like Mao's China post-Cultural-Revolution and life there is harsh beyond belief. If you have a child who thinks they're being abused because you take away their phone for a day have them read LOVE'S PREY and they'll come to know what it really means to grown up in a world without love or caring, a world of endless deprivation, a nightmare where everyone sees you as an opportunity to rain verbal and sometimes severe physical abuse upon the weak. This is a story that has sweep way beyond the normal confines of a conventional bodice-ripping romance novel. Let me put it this way: If Faulkner and Hieronymous Bosch collaborated a novel about growing up in rural China it would be much like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly intriguing!, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Love's Prey (Paperback)
This book has won me from the first chapter already. It's a Romance story with a Highly interesting plot and vivid characters, The author has definitely put a lot of time and spiritual effort to create this piece of art. Loved it, I'll read it again & again! Recommended to all Romance fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved Every Bit of It!, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Love's Prey (Kindle Edition)
I read many of the author's previous works and was often amazed by her wonderful storytelling skills. This time I followed her into the world of Love's Prey, and as usual, Ms. Xuemei X doesn't disappoint. The novel is like a beautiful painting, and it's full of twists and turns that all led to the unforgettable love between Xirena and Kai.

I grew up with the author, so reading Love's Prey is quite a ride for me. The author's sometimes dark sense of humor also brought back all the memories - the beautiful, ugly, and furious. I must say, I loved every bit of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Your Typical Teen Romance, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Love's Prey (Kindle Edition)
Xirena is a brilliant fifteen-year-old girl living in a small town in China. Life has been cruel to her, and she’s responded by closing herself off to everyone around her. Then Kai moves in next door. The handsome, accomplished painter sees beneath her icy surface to the budding woman beneath. But when his fire meets her ice, disaster floods their lives.

My favorite thing about this book is that Xuemei doesn’t resort to tired teen-romance clichés. The story and her characters are fresh, complicated, and true-to-life. Buy a copy today. You won’t be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delicious Delight!, 8 Aug. 2014
Danny Frias (Bremerton, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love's Prey (Kindle Edition)
LOVE’S PREY is one of the most unique and BEST YA novels I’ve read.

The story is about true love, but its tone and style are darker and more complex than standard romance genre. The author has wonderful imagery, and a mature style where other romance writers go for much simpler, straightforward approaches.

Get a copy today. The book is absolutely a delight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Love Story, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Love's Prey (Kindle Edition)
This was a beautifully plotted story that I loved. The love story of Xirena and Kai is a powerful one. It's a book you won't want to put down because it's a story that smolders from the first page.

I'd love to read another book by this author.

Love's Prey