4.0 out of 5 stars Harry’s zombie movie almost feels like an anti-climax, 25 April 2015
Disclaimer: While I aim to be unbiased, I received a copy of this for free to review.

I accidentally read the Shoutykid books out of order, which has presented some interesting problems because now I feel the urge to change the score that I gave to the other book that I took a look at. I felt that this was perhaps the weaker of the two, but for a very specific reason – in this book, Harry’s zombie movie almost feels like an anti-climax, because there’s quite a lot of other stuff going on. In How Harry Riddles Mega-Massively Broke the School, there’s a slower build up, and more of the action can be related back to the book’s title.

Other than that, though, this book is actually a lot of fun, and with plenty of elements that modern kids will be able to relate to, from the games consoles that Harry plays to the way that he communicates. As I mentioned in my previous review, each book in the Shoutykid series is written in epistolary format, which means that they’re presented as a series of e-mails, letters and text messages. It’s difficult to get it right, but it’s done well here, mainly due to the layout of the book and the illustrations of Nikalas Catlow.

It’s a little bit weird to read it as an adult if there isn’t a kid around, but it is a pretty quick read and one of the cool things about it is that the chapter lengths are just right for a quick bedtime read. As for me, I got through the whole thing in a day just reading it on the way to work and back, and yet you get a real feeling of completion because it is, after all, quite a long book at 400 pages.

If you’re thinking about taking a look at Shoutykid and you want my advice, I’d suggest you start here first. That way, if I’m right and How Harry Riddles Mega-Massively Broke the School is in fact the better book, the only way is up. I must admit, now I’ve read two of these, I kind of want to know what happens next. Maybe I’ll buy the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book, 6 Jun. 2014
Such a Funny book i laughed so much, also very poignant, great tempo to the book and reads so well, the best book i have read in years!

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted comedy with a modern twist., 29 April 2015
Really funny easy read. The book is unusual in it's format with text message inserts, letters and funny pictures. My child (9yrs) read this book giggling away to herself and thoroughly enjoyed it and has since gone on to read the second instalment of the series. Highly recommend if your looking for light hearted comedy with a modern twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new Harry to fall in love with..., 28 Jan. 2015
A delightful, modern, very funny and involving story for adults to enjoy as much as their children.
Harry Riddles is a new character to fall in love with and the Riddles family are alive in our minds. We are excited to see that a sequel is on its way as we are now committed fans…

5.0 out of 5 stars ... old boy loves it and said it was the best book he's read, 13 Nov. 2014
My 13 year old boy loves it and said it was the best book he's read.I normally beg him to read but this book made him want to read.5 STARS

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 8 Sept. 2014
I loved this book! I fell in love with Harry and how he looked at life and all those he loved.....so much fun!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to get kids into books and reading., 21 Dec. 2014
Mr. R. A. Perring (west midlands) - See all my reviews
A brilliantly humorous book for children and fun for mums and dads to read as well.
Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Sept. 2014
Funny and cool read from start to finish best book I've read in ages great for 10 year olds 5 star

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 19 Sept. 2014
My son, aged 9, liked this. He said it was addictive and was up late reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 9 May 2015
My grandson loved this book and read it immediately. A success at last!