Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 31 October 2014
For those who have never seen it Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs is a huge treat. It was Disney's first feature length animation film and the colours and artistry are wonderful, very 'art nouveau' in style, especially the drawing of the trees and the forest. As for the way the Disney studio painted water - really, Monet could have learned something from them. Interestingly, it wasn't particularly aimed at children. This could possibly explain why it's really very scary. Especially the changing of the wicked, but beautiful queen into a grotesque old hag. Nevertheless my grand-daughter aged four loves it and I am happy to watch it with her time after time after time because of the artistry involved. A win-win situation.
Based on the Grimms Bros fairy tale, "Snow White and the seven dwarfs" stands as a crowning achievement in animation history. Filmed between 1934-1937, "Snow White" was the first full-length colour animated feature told as a dramatic fairy tale. 77 years later, it still impresses viewers with its technical brilliance as well as with its emotional power. Presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio, the film makes its HD entry on blu-ray with 1080p HD picture quality and 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. The Disney company has done a spectacular job at remastering the video and audio tapes. The quality of the image and sound on this blu-ray transfer is superb, the clarity and fullness that has been achieved is astounding. The sound in particular is crispier and fuller than ever before, it is remarkable what has been done with a mono audio track that now takes full advantage of the capabilities of a multi-speaker home theatre system.

"Snow White" is probably the best family film ever to deal with the foundation for growing up, in mythical terms at least. Most may have seen this movie as children, but I think only when watching it again as adults becomes obvious why this film is held in such reverence. It is much more than a movie, it is art at the highest level, and like all great art, its magic is timeless. In contrast with the US blu-ray release of 2009, this EU edition disappoints greatly when it comes to extras. Some audio commentary, a small featurette, a music video, and 11 minutes of deleted scenes, are very little for one of the most celebrated films in Disney history. Those who wish to experience and enjoy a spectacular package, they should look out for the Platinum or Diamond editions, available at a higher price, but full of exclusive bonus features (clocking even up to 25 hours in total on some editions!). Still, this upgraded version of the film deserves a place in every home library.

***** for the film
*** for this edition
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2014
At age 26 I thought I better buy Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs as I seemed to be one of a very few group of people who has never seen it before.

It's a nice film. I wouldn't say it was "amazing", but I really did enjoy it & will be watching it again. I own a number of Disney shorts from the 1930's too so it's really nice to see how Disney developed from 7min cartoon shorts to a film lasting 1 hour & 20mins.

As for the DVD set I bought, there is no extra's, but the disk does have full subtitles. It's pretty hard to work out what review is for what set due to Amazon moving all the reviews all together, but there you go, That's Amazon for you! lol
on 24 February 2015
This version of Snow White And The Seven Dwarves Blu-ray [12-2014] has what is described as an O ring. It is just a different SLEEVE. The Picture and sound are as good as you can expect, with the advantage of Disney view, which creates a 16;9 image by adding various changing side panels. This also protects from screen burn after image. This disc was really inexpensive compared to the previous release, but at the expense of losing most of the interesting extras and game. It's enough for most children, of all ages
on 24 January 2015
Amazing quality academy framed image. Sound is crystal clear, pure Disney magic.

Extras are better on the platinum dvd, so keep that copy, but add this for the picture quality.

Well worth the purchase.

For those outside the UK region B & C, you will need a blu ray multi player as this is not region free.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 June 2014
This new Blu Ray release of the timeless classic Snow White contains one disc only.
It is the first disc from Disney s three disc set (2 Blu ray 1 DVD) from 2009.
A pity its only 1 disc, yes, but a welcome release for alot of people I'm sure.

The bonus features:

Audio Commentary by film historian John Canemaker
9 minute featurette Snow White Returns
11 minutes of deleted scenes
Some Day My Prince Will Come music video
8 minute sneak preview of The Princess and The Frog
'Disney View' which paints the black borders above and below the image (leave it off!)
three games played with your remote control.

Technical features:

1080p HD, presented in 1:33:1 widescreen
DTS 7.1 HD surround sound in english
Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound in Hindi and Spanish
DTS 5.1 in Italian, Spanish and Dutch
Eniglish, Italian, Spanish and Dutch subtitles.

I personally feel that when it comes to the UK market, Disney treat us poorly with regard to price and content, but there ya go.

CLASSIC film, POOR UK release.
on 14 February 2016
When I read some of the reviews, they were quite mixed but I thought I would give it a chance, and I am very glad I did!
It arrived early and when I opened it, it was in immaculate condition. The artwork sleeve is so shiny and pretty.
I have watched the film and it brought back a lot of nostalgia. It is one disc and the only special feature is the audio commentary, it isn't widescreen or anything but I am not too fussed about that. I love Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and I am very happy with my purchase.
on 16 December 2015
This was my very favourite Disney movie when I was a child, so I was keen to introduce it to my own children. Whilst I went to the cinema to watch it, my children watched it on our tv, but they were completely engrossed and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. A true timeless classic which I hope they will one day watch with their own children if they are so blessed!
on 3 May 2015
The beautifully crafted classic Snow White. I purchased this mainly for my granddaughters to watch when they come to visit, but the adults enjoy it just as much!
The picture restoration is stunning considering the original was made in the late 30's. The soundtrack also has been enhanced and the film is as enjoyable as any up to date Disney movie!
Every Disney fan should have this wonderfully restored version in their collection.
on 3 March 2015
...if you didn't already know that. 2017 will mark the 80th anniversary of its release - hard to believe! In terms of picture quality this particular Blu-ray edition cannot be much improved. If you own a Region-B/C (or region-free) player you are set to enjoy this masterpiece, on the largest, highest-resolution screen possible. You also might first want to search out the late, great Roger Ebert's 2001 review of this VERY "Great Movie" - it's spot on. (Kids like it as well.)